John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great article. I have taken glutamine since about 2003-2004 when i train super intense or severely under a lot of stress-like pre contest.

If your not under hard stress there is no need for it in my opinion, I take it when Im sick, having stomach issues or feel when my recovery is compromised and I need an immune boost

Glutamine Revisited By José Antonio, PhD

there are useful times to take glutamine in my opinion

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been feeling down from being overworked, over trained, stressed out and took 40 grams l-glutamine today (I use MSt's ajomoto version-great stuff) and feel very good. It also helps my cravings. When i get ready for a show I take this stuff and reduces cravings big time. I do not think it is needed all the time , only when under severe stress-like contest prep, or real stressed or overtrained. Of course it wont hurt to take 10 grams 30 after you post training shake or bcaa's and simple carbs and in between your next meal after that.

This is how I originally learned to take it from ast-ss back in the day (2004) I am not saying glutamine is a must however it does have its uses. It truly helps a lot

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Of course glutamine helps cravings, you took 40g of protein....

But yes, it can help when under SEVERE stress. I wouldn't recommend it to 99% of people here.

AVP

Awards
The codons (sequences of three nitrogenous bases of the messenger RNA that encode a particular amino acid) are already responsible for code and maintain the levels of L-glutamine in your body, remembering that L-glutamine is not essential.

A healthy individual does not need to supplement with this amino acid, even during intense physical activity levels dropped considerably, there are a genetic mechanism, biochemical and physiological levels to normalize. Even the proteolytic system is an example, see Via the Ubiquitin-Proteasome (may or may not ATP dependent).