Gymnema Sylvestre effectiveness question

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Ive seen this ingredient show up in a lot of nutrient partitioners, and Ive even heard of people stacking it with other things, but when I trie to read up on the herb itself, Im having trouble even findin a diabetic who will say it dropped their sugar. Whats you 2 cents everybody?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
That's because Gymnema is not primarily a glucose disposal agent. It blocks/slows carbohydrate uptake.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2008....maybe there is something new though:

Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2008 Jun;8(2):78-81.[h=1]Efficacy of dietary supplementation with botanicals on carbohydrate metabolism in humans.[/h]Cefalu WT, Ye J, Wang ZQ.
[h=3]Source[/h]Division of Nutrition and Chronic Diseases, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA. [email protected]

[h=3]Abstract[/h]Botanical products are widely used in nutritional supplementation for promotion of health or prevention of diseases. With the high prevalence of obesity and type 2 diabetes, abnormalities in carbohydrate metabolism are common in the general population and obtaining glycemic control is important in reducing the complications of diabetes. If shown to be effective, botanical products have a unique position in potentially aiding the general public in regard to obesity and diabetes. They can be obtained "over-the-counter" and may have less side effects compared to many synthetic drugs. Although most of the popular botanicals have a long history in folk medicine, there is paucity of data regarding their efficacy and safety, particularly as it relates to human studies. In this review, we discuss the data that was available in the literature for nine botanicals that are frequently promoted to help manage blood glucose. They are Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia), Fenugreek (trigonella foenum graecum), Gymnema Sylvestre, Ivy Gourd (Coccinia indica), Nopal or Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia streptacantha), Ginseng, Aloe Vera, Russian Tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), and Garlic (Allium sativum). The discussion is emphasized on the clinical aspect of these botanicals. Due to the lack of sufficient evidence from clinical studies for any of the botanicals reviewed, it is premature to actively recommend use of any particular herb to treat either glucose or other risk factors. Thus, well defined randomized clinical trials are warranted in this area.

PMID: 18537692 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
OK, good. Sounds like it would be a sound investment for when the family has fast food night, or even a night of drinking(which is rare). How long before a meal do I take it?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OK, good. Sounds like it would be a sound investment for when the family has fast food night, or even a night of drinking(which is rare). How long before a meal do I take it?
it's different for everyone, but i'd say the sweet spot is 15-20 minutes before a meal

now i never took it by itself, usually in the nutrient partioner, but i wouldn't recommend taking something like that before drinking, i did once and i felt like i got drunk a lot quicker, i have no proof that this is what happens, but i thought it was going to be a good idea because of the carbs in beer, but i won't do it again

JayJo

Banned
Awards
Here are some infos on Gymnema Sylvestre: (collected by me)

Gymnema sylvestre is known as "destroyer of sugar" because Ayurvedic physicians observed that chewing a few leaves of Gymnema sylvestre suppressed the taste of sugar. In experimental and clinical trials, Gymnema sylvestre has been successful in controlling the blood sugar level without reducing it to below the normal blood sugar levels, an effect sometimes seen with the use of insulin or oral hypoglycemic therapy. Gymnema sylvestre can also play a role in treating conditions caused by excessive sugar intakes. Conditions like obesity, hyperglycemia, anemia and osteoporosis. [1-4]

[1] Nahas and Moher 55 (6): 591. (2009);Complementary and alternative medicine for the treatment of type 2 diabetes
[2] Phytother Res. 2010 Sep;24(9):1370-6.A novel Gymnema sylvestre extract stimulates insulin secretion from human islets in vivo and in vitro.
[3] J Ethnopharmacol. 1990 Oct;30(3):295-300.Antidiabetic effect of a leaf extract from Gymnema sylvestre in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients.
[4] J Ethnopharmacol. 1990 Oct;30(3):281-94.Use of Gymnema sylvestre leaf extract in the control of blood glucose in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.

That's why i like it's addition in Need2Slin!!!

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive seen this ingredient show up in a lot of nutrient partitioners, and Ive even heard of people stacking it with other things, but when I trie to read up on the herb itself, Im having trouble even findin a diabetic who will say it dropped their sugar. Whats you 2 cents everybody?
is called "The Sugar Destroyer"

clinically proven to lower fasting blood glucose and increases the speed in which glucose is transported from the bloodstream into muscle tissue.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good info here, I love this ingredient, I use alot of it. I have a ton of bulk powder, it was hard to find the 75% extract on this stuff.

Mike

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
is called "The Sugar Destroyer"

clinically proven to lower fasting blood glucose and increases the speed in which glucose is transported from the bloodstream into muscle tissue.

Where the heck did you find a citing that says "into MUSCLE tissue" ????

Did you ass this part in or is it literally discriminant to muscle cells???

-Matt

Celorza

Celorza

Awards

-Matt
Subbed for the 1-year-old-thread-bump

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

-Matt
Solid bump bro.. interested.