My first post. Pre&post W.O. supplementation question.

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.33%

Post My first post. Pre&post W.O. supplementation question.

Hey fellow minds,
    My name is Haz and this is my first post here. After so much of my research pointed to threads on this forum that I was unable to view, I finally signed up and have been lurking and soaking up info.

I am 24 and 5'6". Over the last few years I got out of shape (working at a pizza shop) and got all the way up to 220 lbs - from my usual 160-165, and I realized I needed a CHANGE! So, I made a New Year's resolution to get in shape which I planned to do by going vegetarian, biking everywhere, and joining a gym to start powerlifting, doing yoga, and circuit training.

I'm now down to about 182 lbs. I can now bench my body weight, row a one rep max of 100 lbs, and do all sorts of yoga poses that I never dreamed I could do. I did not measure my BF% when I was in my worst shape, but I am down to roughly 20% now and stronger than ever. My goal is to get down to 170 lbs and ~12% BF. In addition to my pre- and post-workout protein shakes, I recently began taking under-the-tongue sub-sterone (ecdy) which seems promising so far. I made a NP purchase today and I want to know what ya'll think of this regimen:

Pre-workout: Green Magnitude, creatine monohydrate, AAKG, citrulline malate, TestForce2 mixed with bulk DAA (to stretch it out and reduce any potential toxicity of sarcosine), and BCAAs.

Post-workout: Complete protein shake, creatine monohydrate, BCAAs, and L-glutamine.

Thanks for reading my story, and for any advice, in advance.
    Stay anabolic!
    Last edited by HazA; 06-06-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Green Magnitude, not green matrix, LOL

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

As you have already found out, diet is the key to everything. Since you are still looking to cut and keep as much muscle as possible i'll tailor this post to that issue.

First off, your current supps... Drop the post workout BCAAs so you'll stretch that a bit more, i'm a supporter of pre and intra, not really post. If you eat properly throughout the day you legitimately don't even need BCAAs. If you go hypocaloric then let's talk about BCAAs. Drop the glutamine, save some money. Our body produces everything we need in vivo. Sub Sterone is a nice addidion as is the DAA. Sterone will help lean you out, harden, and keep your strength up. DAA will help keep the strength up and will improve protein absorption via increased T. Creatine is great, make sure you only dose 3g a day to maintain saturation. I'd simply down 3g pre workout and then you're good for the day. The AAKG + malate is fine if you want, improves endurance and pumps but that's dropable if you want to save cash.

Now let me say what i'd add. If your diet is top notch, which it sounds like it is since you've lose 100lbs, think of adding something like Lean Xtreme (LX), Damage Control Protocol (DCP), or EC (ephedrine + caffeine). If it were me, i'd start EC now, run it for 4-6 weeks and then add Lean Xtreme, stay on EC though you don't need to cycle it.

The better your diet is the more muscle you will save while cutting this last 6-8% bodyfat. The better you get at timing carbs around your workout the more protein you will spare for the muscles. Fats are good, don't just cut them out thinking you'll lose fat if you don't eat it. I've given you the reader's digest version as i have to leave. Could go much more in depth if i had time.

PM if you want to ask specific questions, i'm sure others will chime in with some great responses. Remember the golden rule: "Diet first, Training second, Supplements third."

Good luck!
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Revolutionizing Nutrition, AND your body!
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.69%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

^^
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.33%

Thanks for your advice, Rhadam. I will follow your advice and take the BCAAs pre-workout, and reduce creatine monohydrate intake. I will consider buying DCP in the future as I am already taking way too many capsulized supplements currently... but I think it could only help if I drink a cup of green tea in the morning. I have to be careful with caffeine, however. I had three cups of green tea within a 6 hour period today and my heart was racing and chest felt tight. Super glad I did not spring for AM REDuction. Thanks again for your suggestions - they should save me some money!
  5. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.9%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Personally...I would cut back just a little.

Take TF2 in the morning. No need to take both bulk and TF2. I trust Pats formulation

i would do either 5g creatine pre, or 2.5 pre and 2.5 post.

And drop the l-glutamine
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.33%

Just found the following info on this forum:

BCAA intake affects protein metabolism in muscle after but not during exercise in humans
    Eva Blomstrand and Bengt Saltin

Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre, Rigshospitalet, DK-2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark

Branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) or a placebo was given to seven subjects during 1 h of ergometer cycle exercise and a 2-h recovery period. Intake of BCAA did not influence the rate of exchange of the aromatic amino acids, tyrosine and phenylalanine, in the legs during exercise or the increase in their concentration in muscle. The increase was ~30% in both conditions. On the other hand, in the recovery period after exercise, a faster decrease in the muscle concentration of aromatic amino acids was found in the BCAA experiment (46% compared with 25% in the placebo condition). There was also a tendency to a smaller release (an average of 32%) of these amino acids from the legs during the 2-h recovery. The results suggest that BCAA have a protein-sparing effect during the recovery after exercise, either that protein synthesis has been stimulated and/or protein degradation has decreased, but the data during exercise are too variable to make any conclusions about the effects during exercise. The effect in the recovery period does not seem to be mediated by insulin.

So, I am thinking BCAAs are better if used for recovery.. Any input?
  7. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.6%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

BCAAs are best used 2 hours postprandially, with ~3g leucine and adequate levels of isoleucine and valine.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.5%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Everyone here has provided some solid information so I wont go too far as not to beat a dead horse, Rhadam kinda hit it on the head.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

Similar Forum Threads

1. POST Workout Supplementation
    By snagency in forum Supplements
    Replies: 200
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 07:47 PM
  2. Post Workout Supplementation
    By bangedup in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
  3. vitargo pre/post workout supplementation
    By Max32 in forum Training Forum