NEED WEIGHT GAINER HELP!

nevrquit

nevrquit

Awards
I have been eating like crazy whole foods, 550 cals every 3 1/2 hrs pretty much the works. I am currently at 195 trying to push to 215. The problem is i play baseball, and pick up basketball so I do alot cardio. I would like some help on picking out a good weight gainer supp. Thanks in advance

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
The problem with weight gainer products is they are high in sugars. The carb source is usually maltodextrin, which burns like a sugar and spikes insulin (only good sometimes.)

My advice is to buy some oats, a coffee grinder and make your own. There's a few of them out there on the market. One is Golden Gains, which is what I use. The key is not to find something that says "WEIGHT GAINER" on the label, but rather a meal replacement. I've found MRP's to have quality carb sources in them, although they're usually more expensive.

My advice is to make your own by getting oats, protein powder, whole milk.

RR

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Just eat HIGH carb before your B ball games. Like 1 1/2-2 cups of quaker oats with milk and honey before. Otherwise the mix RR mentioned is a great custom weight gainer.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
^^Great advice. I also add some peanut butter to shakes. Olive Oil etc.

nevrquit

nevrquit

Awards
Currently I grind up oat and put them in my shakes . Ill add pb to them though. Thank for advice

purebred

Weight gainer powder supplements are a waste. Doesn't matter who makes them. Go with Renegade's good advice and make your own.

We should make a sticky for people who are thinking buying weight gainers. Throw in some numbers to illustrate the financial advantages of making your own vs. buying it from your local supplement store as well as nutritional advantages.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont care what anybody says..ISO MASS is the BEST weight gainer on the market hands down. nothing even comes close to compare with it.

when i bulk, i take this and this is the only weight gainer i take. when i run out and dont have the money, sure, ill make my own with oats, evoo, ice cream, whey, milk and fruits. i mix it up as well. i only take iso post workout. i have my homeade shake before bed. sometimes morning as well. depends on the day.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I dont know if I would say best hands down

Golden Gains has possibly the best MRP formula for cleanly gaining muscle

Making your own with a standard whey, oats, natural PB, fruits would also have a much better profile than Iso and is quite a good way to go

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im not particularly impressed with Iso-mass, it's not a very good profile.

Golden Gains has a better formula for cleanly gaining muscle...best on the market Ive seen for a premade

Making your own with a standard whey, oats, natural PB, fruits would also have a much better profile than Iso and is quite a good way to go
golden gains better than iso? u have to be kidding me....

i understand homeade is better...but im assuming OP is asking advice on a weight gainer supplement, not a recipe.

have u taken iso before?

and how is the ingredient profile not impressive? what more would u want in a shake? sure it has
Maltodextrin, Dextrose, but it also has oats. i also add my own oats in there. works well for me. i always put weight on with iso.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For all of you who are wondering about the ingredient profile on iso, here u go. honestly, tell me what you dont like other than the carbs from iso mass. i truly am curious

Serving Size3Scoops(153g)
Servings Per Container30
Amount Per Serving
Calories 650
Calories From Fat 60
% DV*
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 30mg 10%
Sodium 200mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 80g 27%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Sugars 5g
Protein 65g 130%
Vitamin A 33%
Vitamin C 33%
Vitamin D 33%
Vitamin E 33%
Thiamine 33%
Riboflavine 33%
Niacin 33%
Vitamin B6 33%
Folic Acid 33%
Vitamin B12 33%
Biotin 33%
Pantothenic Acid 33%
Calcium 33%
Iron 33%
Phosphorus 33%
Iodine 33%
Magnesium 33%
Zinc 33%
Copper 33%
Chromium 83%
Iso Mass 72g †
Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Protein Isolate, Micellar Alpha And Beta Caseins And Caseinates, Lactoferrin
Carbo Mass 60g †
5 DE Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Oat Fiber
Crea Mass 7g †
Creatine Monohydrate, Tricreatine Malate, Kre-Alkalyn®, Creatine Orotate, Creatine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Creatine Ethyl Ester, Creatine Pyruvate
Omega Mass 6.5g †
Enzyme Modified Sunflower Oil Powder, Medium Chain Triglyceride Powder, Borage Oil Powder (Seed), Flax Seed Oil Powder, Conjugated Linoleic Acid Powder (CLA), Canola Oil And Omega 3
Vita Mass 3.22g †
Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol, D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Folate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cyanocobalamin, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Iodide, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Fumarate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Oxide, Chromium Nicotinate
Gluta Mass 2.2g †
Glutapure® Glutamine, Glutamine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Glutamine Ethyl Ester, N-Acetyl L-Glutamine
N.O. Mass 500mg †
Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Arginine Ethyl Ester Di-HCL, Citrulline Ethyl Ester Malate, L-Norvaline
BCAA Mass 550mg †
L-Valine, L-Valine Ethyl Ester, L-Leucine, L-Leucine Ethyl Ester, L-Isoleucine, L-Isoleucine Ethyl Ester
CP (Creatine Precursor) Mass 500mg †
Betaine, Glycocyamine
Enzyme Mass 250mg †
Protease, Lactase

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you want my honest opinion, Lets look at it part by part.

1) Calories: Quite a bit of hollow calories in here, too high from a non-food source
2) Large amount of saturated fat
3) Carbs fine, a little high
4) Protein...too high in my opinion to be getting from a non-food source, but not really something I would say makes the profile bad. I just prefer most of my protein from food sources, and on a bulk this shouldnt be an issue.
5) Carb source: maltodextrin and dextrose....do not want. Or if you have them, have them secondary to actual oats which is last on the list so it could be an almost nonexistant level
6) Creatine: Too much in one serving...do not want. At this level you are increasing your chance of side effects. (2.5-5g a day is what you want, this already has 7g) and it prevents you from using any other creatine source or any Preworkout with any creatine in it because you are already over your allowance for the day. I mean, you shouldnt even be having this much, and then you are paying for some forms of creatine that arent better than regular mono, just cost more (kre-alk, CEE).
7) Fat complex composed of too much saturated fat, not really a huge issue on a bulk, but just why?
8) Glutamine. Doesnt do anything. No need to supplement
9) Vitamass complex: Pointless. First its doses are low, but Im not even worried about that as there is no point to pushing all of these additional vitamins on a bulk when you are easily getting them from food and even doubly getting them if you take a multi. This also isnt taking into account that the vitamin forms are probably very poor as they didnt bother to list which forms they used.
10) NO Mass: Mainly arginine which doesnt do anything. Arginine does not actually aid in NO. Pump supp postworkout ftw
11) BCAA: Wont do much. BCAAs are in all protein, this extra amount of 550mg isnt even a significant amount to add and look at how many things its split up under (effectively making it almost nothing for each ingredient). And you dont need to supplement with BCAAs on a bulk anyway as you get enough from food. If you are going to, use bulk Leucine or a high leucine content product.
12) Betaine: at least 500mg underdosed
13) protease lactase...meh, underdosed

On top of this the pricetag is outrageous considering the profile. Im not really sure what is positive here :p

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
alot of your reasons, not all, are personal preference. somebody with a fast metabolism like myself would thrive off of iso. i dont put any fat on at all. i have to eat alot of sugars throughout the day to get fat.

as far as price, depends how you use it. i only take 2 scoops/day so it lasts me longer than 30 days. i also do not use it on non training days. i use whey or homeade on non training days. weight gainers are meant to put on weight. sure some is going to be fat. not everybody can eat 5 times a day and gain 2 pounds a week. i have to eat 7 to 8 quality meals a day to gain. ISO helps me put it on when im bulking.

dont get me wrong, i would never take this while im cutting

and ive taken golden gains before. the only thing i saw from that was a full toilet LOL other people like it though

and it only has i think 15 servings for 30 bucks? so thats about same price as iso

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Making your own is a much more viable, and more cost effective option (not to mention better for gaining muscle). If you want to gain a good bit of fat as well, load up on natural PB (above and beyond what you would for a normal homemade gainer) as well as oats and olive oil etc in your own shake.

Machmood

Awards
To be honest I didnt read one post in here, but I do know that REAL MASS tastes like a wendy frosty. . .

EDIT: just read and to be honest I could never drink somthing called Golden Gains. Sounds to much like golden shower and I would think im drinking the piss of a saigon prostitute

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Golden gains, on the CL website, is just as expensive as ISO though. ISO has 30 servings for $60, golden 15 servings for $30. Idk what it is at nutra though. I get ISO for $35 at one of my shops. Whether u think its a crappy profile or not, it puts weight on you. And as much cardio op does, fat should b minimal

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Golden gains, on the CL website, is just as expensive as ISO though. ISO has 30 servings for $60, golden 15 servings for $30. Idk what it is at nutra though. I get ISO for $35 at one of my shops. Whether u think its a crappy profile or not, it puts weight on you. And as much cardio op does, fat should b minimal

If I am going to pay for a premade, I would prefer a clean profile

I dont see the point in paying for hollow calories, saturated fat and ingredients that dont work/are underdosed and a creatine content that is in the range of causing side effects. You asked me to honestly tell you my thoughts on it. Continue buying it if you feel it holds merit

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I swear by MHP Up Your Mass. No sugars - I hate empty calories as well especially from simple sugars. Just the right about of fats. Gets your required protein, BCAA's, minerals, vitamins, etc. Tastes great, good price, and Im excited to try the new Peanut Butter. Doesn't make me feel bloated beyond relief or gassy or overdone.

All said and done, in agreement with everyone else - you can't go wrong with a homemade recipe.

Every 3 1/2? Too long, I'm hungry every 2 hours. I might even wake up in the middle of my sleep hungry... so I eat.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
To be honest I didnt read one post in here, but I do know that REAL MASS tastes like a wendy frosty. . .

EDIT: just read and to be honest I could never drink somthing called Golden Gains. Sounds to much like golden shower and I would think im drinking the piss of a saigon prostitute
Saigon prostitute... I won't even begin to ask you... lmao

Golden Gains tastes quite good actually...apple pie flavor

purebred

I can't believe there's an actual discussion going on about "the best weightgainer". That belongs on bodybuildingforyou.com or bodybuilding.com.

Go the homemade route and save yourself money. Stop feeding these corporations money for them to recycle it back into their elaborate marketing strategies.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Im kind of surprised too, it's good to see concern on this board for other areas of nutrition and supplementation (and glad to see some people were recommending make your own). I was under the impression that there were only hormonal and fatburner threads here :p

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
take a look around here:
http://www.walmart.com/cp/grocery/976759

then you can make great shakes and add some carbs to them I personally like whey to build muscle and N2carb. N2carb is cheap and it'll help you gain weight :)

Eat clean and eat big...enjoy life :D

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try to eat every 2-3 hours instead of 3 1/2, and befriend your blender!
Red meat in your diet helps too.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Try to eat every 2-3 hours instead of 3 1/2, and befriend your blender!
Red meat in your diet helps too.
3.5 is fine if he wishes. As long as he hits his macros daily. I wouldnt go much over 4 hours simply for the fact that the meals would be huge. But larger meals spaced farther apart arent really an issue as you can absorb in the realm of hundreds of grams of protein from one meal

Machmood

Awards
I saw the comment about staying away from sugar and "empty calories". This is completely false. all weight gainers basically ahve the ame amount of Pro,Crab,Cals. The only diff is the carb source. We can argue all day about if carb source really matters, but if they all have the same macros you cant really argue against the ones that use sugar in regards to empty calores

I am referring to all the major gainers like REAL MASS,UP YOUR MASS, TRUE MASS, CYTOGAINER. . . all about 600 cals, 80g carbs,50g pro. To be honest my PWO drink is myofusion and 2 low fat pop tarts, so you know my stance on if carb source matter :) That being said my diet is basically pretty clean but not due to the fact I am scared of fat gain but because a bowl of oatmeal fills me up much more then a bowl of fruity pebbles in non fat milk

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I saw the comment about staying away from sugar and "empty calories". This is completely false. all weight gainers basically ahve the ame amount of Pro,Crab,Cals. The only diff is the carb source. We can argue all day about if carb source really matters, but if they all have the same macros you cant really argue against the ones that use sugar in regards to empty calores

I am referring to all the major gainers like REAL MASS,UP YOUR MASS, TRUE MASS, CYTOGAINER. . . all about 600 cals, 80g carbs,50g pro. To be honest my PWO drink is myofusion and 2 low fat pop tarts, so you know my stance on if carb source matter :) That being said my diet is basically pretty clean but not due to the fact I am scared of fat gain but because a bowl of oatmeal fills me up much more then a bowl of fruity pebbles in non fat milk

This is why you should stay away from gainers and grab an MRP or make your own

MightyEleazar

MightyEleazar

Awards
I like Myogenix After Shock Critical Mass.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I can't believe there's an actual discussion going on about "the best weightgainer". That belongs on bodybuildingforyou.com or bodybuilding.com.

Go the homemade route and save yourself money. Stop feeding these corporations money for them to recycle it back into their elaborate marketing strategies.
OrganicShadow likes this.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
If you dont mind high sugar, i always liked universals gainers. Real gains, muscle milk, cytogainer.

For better quality carbs, Core mrp, golden gains. Metrx packs are good too.

Nothing beats real, true food tho!

nevrquit

nevrquit

Awards
Golden Gains reminds me of golden grams though sounds good