Spot Reducing Product FDA Status

Predaking

Awards
Since topical spot reducing products cause cosmetic changes through physiological activity, assuming they work, why aren't they considered drugs to the FDA?

I'm just wondering how the FDA will see my own product, which may cause cosmetic changes through physiological activity.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Since topical spot reducing products cause cosmetic changes through physiological activity, assuming they work, why aren't they considered drugs to the FDA?

I'm just wondering how the FDA will see my own product, which may cause cosmetic changes through physiological activity.
I don't believe they actually "work". They may work by reducing water under the skin in the area where you apply them, but they don't actually reduce fat mass.

Predaking

Awards
I don't believe they actually "work". They may work by reducing water under the skin in the area where you apply them, but they don't actually reduce fat mass.
I wonder how they got around being seen as a drug (or a potential drug that requires clinical trials) when they apply to the FDA since the intended purpose is to change the body's appearance by reducing fat mass?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can open up any bodybuilding magazine or look on any site and see what supplements CLAIM to intend to do, but as long as they don't actually do it, the FDA doesn't care.

Predaking

Awards
You can open up any bodybuilding magazine or look on any site and see what supplements CLAIM to intend to do, but as long as they don't actually do it, the FDA doesn't care.
Mine might actually work. The appearance of efficacy would make the FDA worry, e.g. testimonials, video evidence?

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
saying transermals "dont work" is pushing it.........id have to say you are absolutely wrong on that one

however, ive always wondered the same thing OP......id be willing to bet the FDA is aware of all of these products, they've just got more important things to worry about right now

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eviscerate def works for me.

Mike