Food Additives in Supplements. Why?

Vegking

Awards
Most of us taking supplements are trying to be healthy. However, I noticed a lot of supplement companies are putting so much other stuff in. For example, when reading the ingredient list on some of this stuff, why is there food dyes in put in? Yellow #6, Yellow # 5, Blue 1 and 2, Red dye # 40 ect... And don't give me this crap the FDA okayed it. I work in the food industry and I know how things work. Let just say that organization has it's fair share of problems. Politics play a role and that effects how they do things. Anyway, on some of this stuff, I just do not see the need to put these dyes and other additives in the supplement especially when the stuff is suspect.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with this 100%. I do not like unnecessary food dyes, colourings, sweeteners etc. I understand there is a market need for things to look and taste amazing and that ultimately trumps it.

Mark Schauss has made comparisons between food dyes and paint. Some coloured capsules taste like a tub of paint smells when you leave it on your tongue.

Personally I would prefer clear capsules. There is information out there on food dyes and studies in rodents linking to kidney, testicle and bladder damage. Why bother colouring capsules if you don't have to?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I completely agree. I'd rather not drink fluids that look neon blue or red from dyes. Props to those not using food dyes, which afaik is done only by some companies doing bulks.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most of us taking supplements are trying to be healthy. However, I noticed a lot of supplement companies are putting so much other stuff in. For example, when reading the ingredient list on some of this stuff, why is there food dyes in put in? Yellow #6, Yellow # 5, Blue 1 and 2, Red dye # 40 ect... And don't give me this crap the FDA okayed it. I work in the food industry and I know how things work. Let just say that organization has it's fair share of problems. Politics play a role and that effects how they do things. Anyway, on some of this stuff, I just do not see the need to put these dyes and other additives in the supplement especially when the stuff is suspect.
That is from the colored capsules

As for powders, its from the flavoring additives also are colored

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Visual appeal is pretty important. I don't think that there are all that many people who want to indulge in something that looks like dog crap in a clear capsule, or have a slew of powders that all look like baby powder or sugar. Sometimes a little visual splash is enough to draw your attention. Also, look at it in the way of stacking - for those of us who don't carry the bottles around all day with us, we have pill containers. If everything was clear or one single color, and they all got mixed up for some reason, how would you know what everything was if you had to sort it out again? Capsule size, perhaps, but otherwise, color-coordination and memory is key here.

standon

Banned
Awards
To the guy above me ... Umm no ill take my clear capsule and save my health and as to the powders the color I can do without but the taste does make it an entirely different product

n87

Awards
  • Established
To the guy above me ... Umm no ill take my clear capsule and save my health and as to the powders the color I can do without but the taste does make it an entirely different product
Don't care about the colors either. Moreover, if it tastes bad but healthy, I'll take that over any sweetened sugary crap. JMO

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys should read up on placebo effect more. People believe that diff pills are stronger than others. A clear capsule is considered the "weakest" of all pills, while a gelcap is the "strongest". Colors also matter in placebo. White = weakest, blue/red = strongest.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys should read up on placebo effect more. People believe that diff pills are stronger than others. A clear capsule is considered the "weakest" of all pills, while a gelcap is the "strongest". Colors also matter in placebo. White = weakest, blue/red = strongest.
I was just about to say this. Also, to reiterate what was already said, having a supplement capsule color standout is very important. Marketing really is the majority of the battle and a shiny label or brightly colored caps is one of the many ways to achieve this.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
so essential what you've been told is that all these companies just want your money and don't give a sh*t about what is best for you. but that shouldn't be too much of a surprise really. enjoy.

Vegking

Awards
nope, not really a surprise, that all they want is the money. Part of that is our fault, the consumer. The segment of the market that want health and wellness just may not be strong enough to force these companies to put out products with out all the junk. They put out these fancy write ups and try to come off as for health and wellness, but then you look at their freaking ingredient list and just shake your head. I mean, don't pee on me and tell me it is raining. I understand they have to make a profit and some ingredients are necessary like magnesium stearate(which is not bad for you) to prevent sticking and keeping machines running, but some companies get carried away with the amount they put in and then we get less of the active because of that. I just wish there was more of a push to give us stuff without the questionable additives.

1Love808

Awards
nope, not really a surprise, that all they want is the money. Part of that is our fault, the consumer. The segment of the market that want health and wellness just may not be strong enough to force these companies to put out products with out all the junk. They put out these fancy write ups and try to come off as for health and wellness, but then you look at their freaking ingredient list and just shake your head. I mean, don't pee on me and tell me it is raining. I understand they have to make a profit and some ingredients are necessary like magnesium stearate(which is not bad for you) to prevent sticking and keeping machines running, but some companies get carried away with the amount they put in and then we get less of the active because of that. I just wish there was more of a push to give us stuff without the questionable additives.
Totally agree.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What about the concept of helping the consumer by using different colored pills? If I'm taking more than 1 pill, which I have in the past, it is nice to have them colored so that I don't have to carry around bottles with me through the day to tell which is which. I can toss what I need in a bag and go. If somebody is really that dumb as to buy a red/blue/gold pill over a white one because it looks cooler, then they deserve to lose their money.

As far as health concerns go. I have full confidence that my liver can handle any color additives. And if we're really going to go down that road, what about the mass amounts of literature saying that the bodybuilding lifestyle itself is unhealthy? There are many against eating meat and meat products, but there are also vegetarian and vegan bodybuilders. However, there is also a big push for caloric restriction and its health benefits and life extension theories.

I guess at the end of the day I don't see the need to bash other companies for how they make their product. If you don't like it, then don't buy it or promote it.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's because you pussies always complain about the damn flavor.

Now we get to have bonus color, artificial sweetener, and some nasty overpowering artificial flavors. Maybe next time you can man up and just drink the ****.

spicyer

Awards
That's because you pussies always complain about the damn flavor.

Now we get to have bonus color, artificial sweetener, and some nasty overpowering artificial flavors. Maybe next time you can man up and just drink the ****.
I'm sorry, but I have to totally agree. My company frequently does sampling at shows we do and if it doesn't taste good, people turn their nose up and throw it in the trash. Put a little extra sucralose in it, a little this and that to enhance flavor and aroma, they drink it every time. It boils down to there are a few natural, organic, "clean" products and they're made for the 5% that will choke down anything. The rest are made for the masses.

Vegking

Awards
I'm sorry, but I have to totally agree. My company frequently does sampling at shows we do and if it doesn't taste good, people turn their nose up and throw it in the trash. Put a little extra sucralose in it, a little this and that to enhance flavor and aroma, they drink it every time. It boils down to there are a few natural, organic, "clean" products and they're made for the 5% that will choke down anything. The rest are made for the masses.
Well then, I guess it is true. Most people are idiots.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well then, I guess it is true. Most people are idiots.
They are and companies have to appeal to the masses. They can't just rely on the small fraction on these boards. Flavor is one thing, but color is another. I honestly don't care if my chocolate is brown or my banana is yellow. Grey is fine, but the general public isn't fine with that.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They are and companies have to appeal to the masses. They can't just rely on the small fraction on these boards. Flavor is one thing, but color is another. I honestly don't care if my chocolate is brown or my banana is yellow. Grey is fine, but the general public isn't fine with that.
Precisely it. Keep in mind that while there are a ton of members here on AM, the vast majority of the market for EVERY COMPANY is not involved with any forums whatsoever. We're here, we're in the know, and many of us are the more 'hardcore' of the gymrats. But the vast majority of supplement users don't even know that we exist.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i dont buy any supps that have dyes in them...i dont eat food or use any product that has a dye in it..been doing that since 2006 and my mind is sharper and i dont get allergies like i used to

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
They do it because companies are in the business of making money. If they put out products that taste like crap then they go out of business and build a bad reputation.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
It's obvious why it's done but whats also obvious is there is a market for those who want un-dyed products free of garbage and are willing to buy that over something else. Why a company doesn't jump on that I don't know.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
I agree... But typical morons want a glow in the dark pill because it's obviously so much more effective...

It makes companies **** rainbows to make the majority happy.

Just sucks for those of us who know better...

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This isn't so black and white.

Personally I dislike unnecessary food additives. Many have been studied to have adverse effects in mice despite being approved by the FDA.

I understand the mass market requires it. There are products I have been unable to use due to taste, despite being one of the people that doesn't want artificial sweeteners and colourings. I understand where the company reps are coming from but some companies make an intentional effort to use 'more' natural sweeteners and flavourings.

There is always going to be a demand for a tasty, appealing drink but it doesn't mean we need aspartame, acesulfame k and the FD&C spectrum in there. :)

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with you guys a lot. There is a market for organic/dye free supplements, however it is a small one. That being said, it is large enough to still market towards.

It is very challenging for a company who is looking for mass appeal to have the money to market to both sections however.