good supplements for recovery?

boxer15

Awards
Hi,

I am not sure where questions are supposed to be asked so I figured I would just ask a question about supplements in the supplements section of the forums.

Anyway, I work out 4 times a week and kill my CNS. I usually do two workouts ( A + B ) A on monday/thursday , B on tuesday/Friday. The problem I am having is with recovery. I am still sore on Friday from wednesday. I tried eating as much as I could and taking in 180g or protein since I weigh 154lbs.

To combat this I was thinking or taking Gear with Need2slin. I heard that those two work well together. Anyone have or heard of a better supplement for recovery. I am more into strength training than mass training so building bigger muscles is a necessity. Thanks for the help.

boxer15

Awards
Post your diet.
How many hours of sleep are you getting?
I usually get 7 -8 hours. I eat 4 times a day and take a protein shake before working out and before bed and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich immediately after my workout.

jayxxx

Awards
does anyone have any dieting plans u could send my way, im trying to gain but stay somewhat lean... im 165ibs 5ft 11in ive been workin out on n off for about 2 yrs.. now im back full time, i wrk out 4 days a week take wheyobolic extreme 60 pure creatine vitiamins, and eat 7 times a day... in the am i eat 1 cooked cup of oatmeal 1 bannana, 7 egg whites n 2 egg yolks.... i eat every to n a half hrs i try to get 300 hundred grans of protien a day.... i just need a better diet for gaining.....if any one could help plz do thanks alot guys

cmw

cmw

Awards
Gaba (gamma aminobutyric acid powder) for recovery. It's been the single most effective recovery sup I've found. Take a gram at night just before bed on an empty stomach. Give it a week and you will see a noticeable improvement with zero sides.

As for gaining, I have a powerlifter friend who swears by 2 things when he needs to gain. A big breakfast of chicken and pasta and extra servings of the right fats such as extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, etc throughout the day.

purebred

Gaba (gamma aminobutyric acid powder) for recovery. It's been the single most effective recovery sup I've found. Take a gram at night just before bed on an empty stomach. Give it a week and you will see a noticeable improvement with zero sides.

As for gaining, I have a powerlifter friend who swears by 2 things when he needs to gain. A big breakfast of chicken and pasta and extra servings of the right fats such as extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, etc throughout the day.
I've heard a lot about GABA. I'm thinking of getting a tub of Primaforce's bulk GABA and giving it a run.

cmw

cmw

Awards
Read up on it. It's the real deal for not a lot of bucks.

boxer15

Awards
GABA is a sleep aid right? Just want to make sure. also, i really don't care about size im more about brute strenght if anyones knows of a good workout program

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look up 5/3/1 and buy the book for 20$ better than any supp ive ever bought. For recovery i love BCAA around the workout window, 15-20g. Im currently trying MAP now and will see if it helps even more.

joelast

joelast

Awards
BCAA's + Gatorade Intra workout is awesome. I suggest Xtend and powdered gatorade, 2 scoops of Xtend and 40g of carbs from the gatorade. I started making this after I read a book called Nutrient Timing, cut soreness down greatly, your muscles are getting key muscle building nutrients right at the end and immediately after your lift.

boxer15

Awards
well thanks for the help with recovery, just had one more question. I have seen a lot of those power-lifting and strength training workout routines for sale that guarantee you like a 50+ lbs increase on your bench in 2 months. Is that even possible?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It is possible, but i wouldnt count on them

cmw

cmw

Awards
I have never looked into such plans, but my friend has trouble keeping weight on, due to his metabolism being so high from his muscle mass. He keeps it simple. Just lots of protein (he's not a fan of shakes,) ton of good carbs, and eating every 3 hours. This is him benching 605.

YouTube - ‪605 deload‬‏

adamlau

Awards
I also work out (at least) four times a week. Often multiple times a day. Outside of rest and soft tissue work and in terms of using supplements to enhance neural drive recovery, protein would be about it. Sodium bicarbonate and BCAAs before, during and after your training session would help with DOMS. The judicious use of NSAIDs might help as well. Testosterone boosters could also help facilitate recovery as well.

adamlau

Awards
Lactic acid buffering. I go 5g before and sometimes 5g after. However, bear in mind that the increase in sodium consumption can increase BP and too high of a dosage can upset the stomach. While the body tends to equalize acidity/alkalinity rather quickly, there should be some net buffering to last through at least a typical workout.

purebred

Doesn't creatine improve lactic acid buffering? I recall there even being talking that lactic acid can be beneficial during a workout.

adamlau

Awards
Different people and lifting regiments react differently to different stacks and compounds. Personally, I prefer a shot of sodium bicarbonate on wind sprint and split days which focus more on higher reps and not so much on heavy single/double/triple days. Try everything and see what works for you :) .

purebred

Different people and lifting regiments react differently to different stacks and compounds. Personally, I prefer a shot of sodium bicarbonate on wind sprint and split days which focus more on higher reps and not so much on heavy single/double/triple days. Try everything and see what works for you :) .
I'm really glad you took the time to respond to me. I really am. However, and I know this is going to unintentionally come off rudely, I hate answers like that. LOL :D

If creatine does the same thing as sodium bicarbonate with the added benefits such as enhanced recovery and strength increase, would it be safe to say you may as well just go with good ol' Creapure CM?

adamlau

Awards
It would be safe to assume so, yes. Regardless, I still stack sodium bicarbonate with creatine and have been drinking alkaline water for the same reason as well (it can't hurt and might possibly help).

ScienceGuided

Awards
  • Established
beta alanine when taking at a signifigant dose works wonders for recovery.

I take a good 4+ grams of sns beta alanine every day and it is fantastic,I suggest you try it and let me know.

some other suggestions...

new routine allowing for more rest...
bulk leucine...
phenibut.....
theanine...

really j ust get some sl eep in and the meals and you should be fine.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been using "Anabolic Recover" from musclefeast, and so far I'm loving it.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I don't know if this is actually considered a recovery product but Ergogenix Aftermath seems to shorten my recovery time.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
People here need to define recovery.

If recovery = replenishing glycogen stores, maximizing MPS, and being at full strength next workout:

4:1:1 BCAAs with ~4g Leucine OR Just Protein
Any carb source

Note: A whole foods meal is best for this category. yes, better than your fancy supplements.

If recovery = less soreness, take the following post workout:

Caffeine
Beta-Alanine
LCLT
Citrulline

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been using Muscle replenisher post workout by NTBM. It has pretty much everything you need for recovery

Whey
BCAAs
L-Glutamine
Taurine
Creatine
Carbs

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hi,

I am not sure where questions are supposed to be asked so I figured I would just ask a question about supplements in the supplements section of the forums.

Anyway, I work out 4 times a week and kill my CNS. I usually do two workouts ( A + B ) A on monday/thursday , B on tuesday/Friday. The problem I am having is with recovery. I am still sore on Friday from wednesday. I tried eating as much as I could and taking in 180g or protein since I weigh 154lbs.

To combat this I was thinking or taking Gear with Need2slin. I heard that those two work well together. Anyone have or heard of a better supplement for recovery. I am more into strength training than mass training so building bigger muscles is a necessity. Thanks for the help.
We have a couple of great products. Recovery 911, a sports recovery supplement as well as our new all-in-one protein Huge Impact, with a great BCAA profile and possibly everything you could ask for in two scoops. Check out the youtube video below, and if your interested send me a PM I'll do what I can to help ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuiofFRAbY

Good luck!

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Doesn't creatine improve lactic acid buffering? I recall there even being talking that lactic acid can be beneficial during a workout.
Yes Creatine does improve lactic acid buffering and actually not only helps during a workout but after as well during recovery ;-)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RecoverPRO is a 4:1:1 BCAA, tastes great and is quite inexpensive.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
beta alanine when taking at a signifigant dose works wonders for recovery.

I take a good 4+ grams of sns beta alanine every day and it is fantastic,I suggest you try it and let me know.

some other suggestions...

new routine allowing for more rest...
bulk leucine...
phenibut.....
theanine...

really j ust get some sl eep in and the meals and you should be fine.
If your looking for all those things in one, Def try Huge Impact, it really is your all-in-one protein source. Check the video below, let me know what you think.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Try Huge Impact, by MuscleGaugeNutrition. I use it myself and personally you will not go with anything else afterwards. Tastes great and is the most complete thing out there you can find. Check out the video #Proof
Alright, don't you think enough is enough? I bumped the thread with a scientific answer so people could learn, and you just posted the same exact post 5 times.

That being said, it's actually not a bad product.

Huge Impact:

11g Carbs - this should be a lot higher
20g Protein - I actually like the inclusion of a blend, good work

Arginine 2g - unforunately, this is useless
Beta Alanine 1.5g - great choice here
Citrulline Malate 3g - very good choice here
Creatine 3.5g - not a fan of this, nothing wrong with it, but now dosing of this product is inflexible, especially since 2 scoops of this appears to be the needed dose
Taurine 1g - meh
Vitamin C 0g 0% - good, thanks for not including antioxidants around the workout window
Vitamin A IU 55.90g 1.1% - fine

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
I like Genomyx Protocol for recovery. Halfway through a tub and definitely noticing a difference.

YouSeeMe

Awards
A good solid diet with a good multi vitamin (animal pak). Also you could supplement with l-glutamine.