This study made me turn my head

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The excretion of caffeine in the semen of men: pharmacokinetics and comparison of the concentrations in blood and semen
The excretion of caffeine in the semen of men: pharmacokinetics and comparison of the concentrations in blood and semen

The concentration of caffeine in the blood and semen of men was measured after an oral dose of 200 or 400 mg caffeine. Caffeine was rapidly absorbed (mean tmax = 0.76 +/- 0.12 hour), with an average maximum concentration in the blood of 7.4 micrograms/ml for the 400-mg dose and 3.4 micrograms/ml for the 200-mg dose. The mean clearance of caffeine was 161 and 156 ml/min, while the mean volume of distribution was 50 and 47 liters for the 400- and 200-mg doses, respectively. Distribution of caffeine into the semen was rapid, with a concentration of caffeine in the semen almost identical to that observed concurrently in the blood (blood/semen concentration ratio = 0.97). The mean half-life of caffeine in the blood and semen was 3.7 and 3.6 hours, respectively, indicating that the decline of caffeine in the blood is very similar to that in semen. Thus, caffeine partitions rapidly into and out of the prostatic and seminal vesicular secretions, which contribute to the formation of the ejaculate.

Which led me to...
Semen quality according to prenatal coffee and present caffeine exposure: two decades of follow-up of a pregnancy cohort

CONCLUSIONS The results observed in this study are only tentative, but they do not exclude a small to moderate effect of prenatal coffee exposure on semen volume and levels of reproductive hormones. Present adult caffeine intake did not show any clear associations with semen quality, but high caffeine intake was associated with a higher testosterone concentration

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So yea....caffeine is in semen, in increased amounts when you take more caffeine.

So I wondered if this effective sperm/semen quality, and there was a study showing it did not, but that the high caffeine did show more testosterone in the testes

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
high levels of caffeine as a test booster?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its probably just at the testicular level after reading the full text...but still interesting nonetheless

The fact that stimulants can be transferred into semen makes sense why some stimulants, like illegal ones, cause problems of impotence. But it looks like caffeine is safe

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Caffeine can and does effect testosterone. This is why it is included in Tropinol.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
I came across a study from 2008 that was stating the same thing. Although, I think they were dosing up to 800mgs, and reporting a higher % increase in T production.

Also, it stated that T production decreased after you take it, but with 30 mins of resistance training, an overall increase will occur.

I'll see if I can find it.

Did you put caffeine in Anabeta?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No caffeine in AnaBeta lol

The increase in T from caffeine is just at the testicular level it looks like...not in serum T in that particular study

Uziel

Awards
seems caffeine up T levels

Dose effect of caffeine on testosterone and cortisol responses to resistance exercise.
Beaven CM, Hopkins WG, Hansen KT, Wood MR, Cronin JB, Lowe TE.

Source Horticulture and Food Research Institute of New Zealand, Hamilton, New Zealand.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:
Interest in the use of caffeine as an ergogenic aid has increased since the International Olympic Committee lifted the partial ban on its use. Caffeine has beneficial effects on various aspects of athletic performance, but its effects on training have been neglected.

PURPOSE:
To investigate the acute effect of caffeine on the exercise-associated increases in testosterone and cortisol in a double-blind crossover study.

METHODS:
Twenty-four professional rugby-league players ingested caffeine doses of 0, 200, 400, and 800 mg in random order 1 hr before a resistance-exercise session. Saliva was sampled at the time of caffeine ingestion, at 15-min intervals throughout each session, and 15 and 30 min after the session. Data were log-transformed to estimate percent effects with mixed modeling, and effects were standardized to assess magnitudes.

RESULTS:
Testosterone concentration showed a small increase of 15% (90% confidence limits, +/- 19%) during exercise. Caffeine raised this concentration in a dose-dependent manner by a further small 21% (+/- 24%) at the highest dose. The 800-mg dose also produced a moderate 52% (+/- 44%) increase in cortisol. The effect of caffeine on the testosterone:cortisol ratio was a small decline (14%; +/- 21%).

CONCLUSION:
Caffeine has some potential to benefit training outcomes via the anabolic effects of the increase in testosterone concentration, but this benefit might be counteracted by the opposing catabolic effects of the increase in cortisol and resultant decline in the testosterone:cortisol ratio.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Interesting.

So would higher levels of caffeine in semen, cause hyper active sperm - haha

If you were reading, exactly which way did it turn your head?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think there would be diminishing returns over time because of the adrenals and cortisol.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Its probably just at the testicular level after reading the full text...but still interesting nonetheless

The fact that stimulants can be transferred into semen makes sense why some stimulants, like illegal ones, cause problems of impotence. But it looks like caffeine is safe
The impotence is probably due to the vaso constricting effects that these stimulants cause, don't you think? :)

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Testicular testosterone levels are healthy for men, though, correct? This is why men use HCG on cycle, to maintain testicular testosterone levels right? Along with hoping it keeps the testes ready for LH.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol-if cafeine raised test levels i sure as hell wouldn't be on trt.:grumpy:
hahaha that emoticon is priceless
:veryhappy:

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Caffiene=best supplement ever

jtterrible

jtterrible

Awards
hmm well.. I shall drink coffee and have my fiance give head so that she can have some get up and go :D

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was wondering how long it would take for that one. I was trying to work some sort of non dairy coffee creamer into the thread but could not come up with anything.