Protein and BCAA's. Your Opinions

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Question Protein and BCAA's. Your Opinions

So Ive been doing a bunch of research and its not very clear the Real reason to take these supps. I mean I DO. But after a bunch of studying on my behalf. Its seems we may just be feeding into the supp industry. This is not a thread to bash any company or the industry for that matter. I just want to hear peoples opinions. I mean If you eat a well balanced diet would supplementing with these may THAT much of a difference?

Also, Whats everyones take on amount of protein? Been reading on this also. Something like 55% carbs,30% fats and only 15% protein, was a recommendation in a book I was reading. Once again. Anybodies thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

RECOVERBRO

2. Registered User

Big open ended post thats just going to get you a lot of different opinions. I like to use protein because I get sick of eating chicken, tuna, fish, more chicken, more tuna. Once in a while you need something sweet tasting and a nice tasting protein powder can help you do that. Plus you can get the extra protein while limiting your calorie intake. If your a skinny person or a "hard gainer" I think it would be easier to get all your protein from whole foods.

This is just my opinion though. No I don't think you need any supplement at all. They can help somewhat. No one persons diet is absolutely perfect either. As I'm sure you know people who exercise or lift weights have higher protein requirements than the average sedentary couch potato. That 55% carbs, 30% fats, and 15% protein sounds absolutely awful.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

T-bone thanks man. Yes, I do enjoy the sweet taste of a GREAT protein shake when Im eating nice and bland(and clean)..LOL.

The open ended part I was expecting. But honesty is all Im looking for. Just got me some bulk BCAA's and plan on using the, I was just more curious as to what people think about them.

As far as the carb, fat protein. Yeah, well I didnt say I was doing that..haha. But...was interesting was the research behind it.

RECOVERBRO

•   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Once past 30 years of age, we can lose up to 2% of our muscle each year. A leucine-rich diet may prevent the loss of your hard-earned muscle, particularly as you get older. Some french study showed a diet containing 5% added leucine, not only suppressed muscle loss in the older rodents, the leucine appeared to reignite one of the key mechanisms that block excessive muscle protein breakdown.
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Once past 30 years of age, we can lose up to 2% of our muscle each year. A leucine-rich diet may prevent the loss of your hard-earned muscle, particularly as you get older. Some french study showed a diet containing 5% added leucine, not only suppressed muscle loss in the older rodents, the leucine appeared to reignite one of the key mechanisms that block excessive muscle protein breakdown.

What if you're not a rodent though?.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.

Layne Norton says 3 grams of leucine every hour this includes food or supplements combined. That I believe was a human study.
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.

Ok thats cool. Ill check into that. Thanks DJBS!

RECOVERBRO

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
  2. Protein vs. BCAA
    By Mar430 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
  3. Protein OR BCAA
    By bigsteveo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7