Pre Workout For Strength

winwrightsa

Awards
Hey guys, decided to focus on strength training now.

I've used most of the better products for pre workout, such as Meso, Jack3d, Quake, Muscle Marinade, N2kts and Maximize v2 etc.

Just wondering, what product would have a better profile aimed towards strength.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Beta-Alanine 1-2g 3X a day
and creatine.
guranium
caff. a pre-WO with these would be nice.
I LOVED N2KTS and use it along with ASGT and guranimo . i alternate them.
great stuff. if you have to pick from the above i would pick N2KTS.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One that gives you the energy you want to have productive workouts, 3-5g of creatine, and 2g beta-alanine, then add another 2g at another time of the day of beta-alanine. Add some bcaa to that pre-wo and you would be good to go man.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, decided to focus on strength training now.

I've used most of the better products for pre workout, such as Meso, Jack3d, Quake, Muscle Marinade, N2kts and Maximize v2 etc.

Just wondering, what product would have a better profile aimed towards strength.
If you're looking at something aimed towards athletic performance, take a look at Assault. Otherwise, Anadraulic State GT or RPM are decent preworkout products to consider.

~Rosie~

winwrightsa

Awards
I have been meaning to take Assault, would 1 scoop be okay for cost?

Yeah i've been mainly aiming for performance increase.

My post workout shake consists of, protein, carb, beta alanine, glutamine, creatine.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been meaning to take Assault, would 1 scoop be okay for cost?

Yeah i've been mainly aiming for performance increase.

My post workout shake consists of, protein, carb, beta alanine, glutamine, creatine.
I actually personally only use half a scoop of Assault - a serving is half a scoop, but you can use a scoop if you want.

Re post-workout, I would drop the glutamine - since literature is conflicted over whether or not it actually does anything, and from my own personal research consider it a waste of time and money using unless you are completely sedentary - but that's just me.

~Rosie~

winwrightsa

Awards
Cheers for the tips Rosie, do you use any intra workout such as xtend or intrabolic?

Missed out, i'm taking Taurine post workout too in capsule form, is pre and post taurine good timing for dosage?

Cheers

winwrightsa

Awards
Also in the post workout carbs, is Waxy Maize okay? Got a large tub of it.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cheers for the tips Rosie, do you use any intra workout such as xtend or intrabolic?

Missed out, i'm taking Taurine post workout too in capsule form, is pre and post taurine good timing for dosage?

Cheers
No worries :)

No, I do not use intraworkout products at all - I drink water only during training.

If you're not using Taurine during training, then pre and post-training is fine to dose it.

Also in the post workout carbs, is Waxy Maize okay? Got a large tub of it.
I personally don't like Waxy Maize, but you can use whatever carbohydrates you want post-training - I recommend using a combination of complex and simple carbohydrates post-training.

~Rosie~

winwrightsa

Awards
No worries :)

No, I do not use intraworkout products at all - I drink water only during training.

If you're not using Taurine during training, then pre and post-training is fine to dose it.

I personally don't like Waxy Maize, but you can use whatever carbohydrates you want post-training - I recommend using a combination of complex and simple carbohydrates post-training.

~Rosie~
So say 50/50 Dextrose / Maltodextrin? Any reason why you don't like waxy maize?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Meso is a great product but another option with no stims is musclefeasts anabolic ignite the profile is great and more importantly dosed right.

winwrightsa

Awards
I'm the retard? You are the one looking for a PWO aimed at "strength" when you could just eat a solid protein based pre-workout meal.

So your telling me that nothing other than protein can help with strength? Nice... Your just making yourself look worse mate.

SHaneA655

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wish it didnt have the niacin in it? I feel like that would cause me to have hot flashes which i seem to get easy with supplements. Otherwise, profile looks great.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
So your telling me that nothing other than protein can help with strength? Nice... Your just making yourself look worse mate.
That is absolutely not what I am saying. What I am saying is, there are no natty products that are going to significantly increase your strength enough to justify the cost. For example, all these natty hgh boosting supps are in the neighborhood of $40-$50 dollars. They make fractionally increase gains over what hard work alone will do. My advice, save your money or spend it on a staple you know works.

That or ditch natty and educate yourself on DS.

Are we on the same page now?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is absolutely not what I am saying. What I am saying is, there are no natty products that are going to significantly increase your strength enough to justify the cost. For example, all these natty hgh boosting supps are in the neighborhood of $40-$50 dollars. They make fractionally increase gains over what hard work alone will do. My advice, save your money or spend it on a staple you know works.

Depending on your definition of natural it is fair to say this is not strictly true.

Dosing stimulants for the first time in ages made me significantly stronger in the gym to the point I repeatedly checked the dumbbells I was using to make sure they were the right ones. My full review for it was in the N2KTS thread.

Pre workout- caffeine, geranium, other stimulants (definition of natural can be argued as they are often produced synthetically).

Not necessarily a pre workout but creatine and beta alanine both have solid research behind them.

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
Stick to real food post training (optimally) or complex carbs like oats

Simple carbs are not as beneficial postworkout. I would not take dextrose, maltodextrin or waxymaize

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's entirely up to you what you use. My body does not respond well to Waxy Maize, plus I hate the taste and texture of anything that contains it. Just use what works for YOU and YOUR body.

~Rosie~

winwrightsa

Awards

Okay man, sorry for coming across like a nob.

I'm currently doing the 5/3/1 routine, enjoying it a lot. Just wanted to gain that bit extra. Anything you could advise for pre and post workout supplementation?

winwrightsa

Awards
Depending on your definition of natural it is fair to say this is not strictly true.

Dosing stimulants for the first time in ages made me significantly stronger in the gym to the point I repeatedly checked the dumbbells I was using to make sure they were the right ones. My full review for it was in the N2KTS thread.

Pre workout- caffeine, geranium, other stimulants (definition of natural can be argued as they are often produced synthetically).

Not necessarily a pre workout but creatine and beta alanine both have solid research behind them.
So your saying it benefited you because you was more in the "zone" and that allowed you to bang out them extra heavier reps?

Yeah i take Creatine Nitrate pre, and some creatine mono post and on off days. I take BA pre and post also.

winwrightsa

Awards
Stick to real food post training (optimally) or complex carbs like oats

Simple carbs are not as beneficial postworkout. I would not take dextrose, maltodextrin or waxymaize
Any reason why you don't like simply carbs post workout? I was under the impression they was better post workout because of how fast they could be absorbed.

What about Vitargo etc?

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
Any reason why you don't like simply carbs post workout? I was under the impression they was better post workout because of how fast they could be absorbed.

What about Vitargo etc?
No to vitargo.

There is no reason to need carbs to hit you that quickly. The anabolic window is quite a bit longer than "30 minutes postworkout".

Oats are a better form of carb to begin with for muscle building and body composition purposes, and since you dont have to worry about absorption time postworkout, even a high quality meal would be better than a protein shake.

Shakes are for convenience purposes (and a great way to add a snack with some protein value)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll suggest Lit Up as a choice where I saw (in the beta version, with just a handful of samples) at least a significant jump in intensity which seemed to translate to strength. Whether that would have kept up through an entire tub I can't tell, but its worth mentioning.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

What about Vitargo etc?
There is all of (from my knowledge) 1 study, maybe 2 showing carbs beneficial over protein alone postworkout, and that is in the case of a first thing in the morning fasted workout. Outside of that, theres been no evidence that a protein + carb shake vs protein alone (or just waiting to have a solid meal) makes any difference.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So your saying it benefited you because you was more in the "zone" and that allowed you to bang out them extra heavier reps?

Yeah i take Creatine Nitrate pre, and some creatine mono post and on off days. I take BA pre and post also.
Caffeine is extensively studied for directly improving sports performance including strength, endurance and lowering rate of perceived exertion.

It does make you stronger in the gym if taken between 30 minutes and an hour before training for levels to reach their peak concentration in the blood.

On another note, carbs after workout can be debated because in theory, glycogen replenishes when no food at all is ingested and muscle protein synthesis isn't as short term as the post workout 'window of opportunity'. It is still a liquid meal for quick absorption that can improve the cortisol:testosterone ratio, improve muscle protein synthesis and most importantly, get the nutrition and calories in to help build muscle (if that is your goal).

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ill second easy here, i enjoy lit-up alot. Idk about DAA and its sides, but im willing to put a full tub to the test to see what happens.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive been using sizeon mp during training, it has 40g of carbs, seems to help in the endurance department. After my tub runs out ill be using peptopro with bcaa during training and ill compare recovery and endurance effects. I never know what is worth my money or not anymore lol.

winwrightsa

Awards
Caffeine is extensively studied for directly improving sports performance including strength, endurance and lowering rate of perceived exertion.

It does make you stronger in the gym if taken between 30 minutes and an hour before training for levels to reach their peak concentration in the blood.

On another note, carbs after workout can be debated because in theory, glycogen replenishes when no food at all is ingested and muscle protein synthesis isn't as short term as the post workout 'window of opportunity'. It is still a liquid meal for quick absorption that can improve the cortisol:testosterone ratio, improve muscle protein synthesis and most importantly, get the nutrition and calories in to help build muscle (if that is your goal).
If you was to pick based on that last paragraph, would you go with some others here and choose oats, over say dextrose?

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
Ive been using sizeon mp during training, it has 40g of carbs, seems to help in the endurance department. After my tub runs out ill be using peptopro with bcaa during training and ill compare recovery and endurance effects. I never know what is worth my money or not anymore lol.
Its hard to tell, especially since there is so much misinformation out there being pushed by people that are considered reputable

winwrightsa

Awards
I'll suggest Lit Up as a choice where I saw (in the beta version, with just a handful of samples) at least a significant jump in intensity which seemed to translate to strength. Whether that would have kept up through an entire tub I can't tell, but its worth mentioning.
Yeah i've seen Lit Up advertised before, AN Lit up yeah?

Would you just add your own creatine to the mix?

Just looked down the profile, could anybody tell me the benefits of taking Beta-Hydroxyethyldimethylamine (As DMAE) . It's listed as one of the ingredients?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Its hard to tell, especially since there is so much misinformation out there being pushed by people that are considered reputable
that there is man.
So far the only products ive ever truely liked are. Purple wraath, beta-alanine, mcc/creatine nitrate, alcar, and a few pres (lit-up, jack3d, white flood, novem). Xtend is ok too, dont notice any effects other then basic bcaa effects. This industry is getting pretty bad.

winwrightsa

Awards
Do you take anything intra mate?

I generally take Xtend or Intrabolic.

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
Do you take anything intra mate?

I generally take Xtend or Intrabolic.
Both are good choices

Also look into Purple Wraath, the endurance complex with beta alanine and citrulline malate is a really nice added bonus

You can grab a free sample from Controlled Labs forum and try it out

winwrightsa

Awards
Ill second easy here, i enjoy lit-up alot. Idk about DAA and its sides, but im willing to put a full tub to the test to see what happens.
Isn't DAA an ingredient in the Lit up bud? Or am i looking at a newer / older profile?

winwrightsa

Awards
Both are good choices

Also look into Purple Wraath, the endurance complex with beta alanine and citrulline malate is a really nice added bonus

You can grab a free sample from Controlled Labs forum and try it out
All honesty PW is something i've wanted to try for a while just never got around to it, any flavours you could recommend? I have heard people say it's one of the better intra drinks.

Would it be a bit much taking BA during workout, as i take some pre and post?

winwrightsa

Awards
that there is man.
So far the only products ive ever truely liked are. Purple wraath, beta-alanine, mcc/creatine nitrate, alcar, and a few pres (lit-up, jack3d, white flood, novem). Xtend is ok too, dont notice any effects other then basic bcaa effects. This industry is getting pretty bad.
How did you find Novem? I used to love Quake 10.0, i just really enjoyed drinking the stuff haha. Hated the damn caking of it :mad:

winwrightsa

Awards
Guys, some of these pre workout's don't contain creatine. I do find creatine nitrate to be a tad expensive (currently using mono post and off days with nitrate pre).

Any creatines you would recommend me adding to instead of the nitrate due to cost? Heard a few people brag about creatine magnesium chelate?

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
All honesty PW is something i've wanted to try for a while just never got around to it, any flavours you could recommend? I have heard people say it's one of the better intra drinks.

Would it be a bit much taking BA during workout, as i take some pre and post?
The lemonade tastes awesome

Also consider Purple PsyKO if you are on a bulk, BCAAs are not quite as important to take on a bulk since you get enough from food.

winwrightsa

Awards
The lemonade tastes awesome

Also consider Purple PsyKO if you are on a bulk, BCAAs are not quite as important to take on a bulk since you get enough from food.
Sorry if i misquoted, i meant is Beta Alanine okay to take during, as i take some pre and post?

Will be picking up some lemonade PW :]

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
As far as BA goes. You only need around 2g around your workout.

No more is needed at once. You will get a better effect taking a second dose of 1.5-2g another part of the day.

The supps that have 4g at once make no sense

So take PW starting on your way into the gym and a dose of bulk BA another time of day for best results

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How did you find Novem? I used to love Quake 10.0, i just really enjoyed drinking the stuff haha. Hated the damn caking of it :mad:
novem is at nutra, they removed all the ingredient that will cake as well as removing DMAA
Purple wraath lemonade is good
Just dont add beta-alanine pre/post and enjoy it intra?
Id try bulk mcc or green mad, which is awsome too.
Like i said, get some creatine, get some beta-alanine, get a pre-wo you like the energy from for productive workouts. Then try different intras and the like if you enjoy those products till you notice one you like. I like the ginger in purple wraath a lot

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
novem is at nutra, they removed all the ingredient that will cake as well as removing DMAA
Like i said, get some creatine, get some beta-alanine, get a pre-wo you like the energy from for productive workouts. Then try different intras and the like if you enjoy those products till you notice one you like. I like the ginger in purple wraath a lot
Green Mag is a good option or Green Bulge is one of the best creatines on the market

winwrightsa

Awards
I live in the UK so shipping can be slightly annoying, but i will try novem eventually.

Cheers for the tips dude

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Novem is ok, i bloat from it. As i usually do from any creatine mono that isnt creapure. Once this sizeon runs out ill be trying peptopro with xtend during training as i already have both, and for creatine ill try bulk mcc and bulk dicreatine malate as i already have both lol. Once my stash is gone depending on results ill prob get some purple wraath and green mag. Whey focused, is there around 2.5g leucine per scoop of purple wraath or no?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah i've seen Lit Up advertised before, AN Lit up yeah?

Would you just add your own creatine to the mix?

Just looked down the profile, could anybody tell me the benefits of taking Beta-Hydroxyethyldimethylamine (As DMAE) . It's listed as one of the ingredients?
Yeah, just add creatine mono, cheap and works.

The DMAE is for focus/mental intensity. Keep in mind that strength has a huge CNS component.

And for an intra, RecoverPRO is a nice price sensitive choice. Vpx power shock seems good, but is a bit pricier

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
Novem is ok, i bloat from it. As i usually do from any creatine mono that isnt creapure. Once this sizeon runs out ill be trying peptopro with xtend during training as i already have both, and for creatine ill try bulk mcc and bulk dicreatine malate as i already have both lol. Once my stash is gone depending on results ill prob get some purple wraath and green mag. Whey focused, is there around 2.5g leucine per scoop of purple wraath or no?
Yes roughly

winwrightsa

Awards
Yeah, just add creatine mono, cheap and works.

The DMAE is for focus/mental intensity. Keep in mind that strength has a huge CNS component.

And for an intra, RecoverPRO is a nice price sensitive choice. Vpx power shock seems good, but is a bit pricier
How many scoops would you use mate of Lit Up? 3 scoops would seem to go through the tub in about 2 weeks lol