Protein protein and protein

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Protein is obviously an extremely important part of everybody's diet. And whey protein is a huge part of most people's protein intake for numerous reasons.

The amino acids contained in different proteins and how the body is able to utilize them is what makes a protein effective. (my best understanding) keeping your body at a positive nitrogen balance is key to building muscle.

As far as what ratio of amino is best seems to vary depending on who you ask.
Bcaa 4:1:1. 8:1:1?
Then what ratio of branch chain amino's to essential amino's to nonessential amino's?!?!
Times of day better to have some amino's then others?
% of protein utilized/bioavailable?

Giving your body the ideal food for repair around the clock, not just pre/post workout would seem like the best way to get great results. There will obviously be times where a really fast acting source like hydrolyzed whey isolate would be great and times when a slower absorbing egg or plant based source would be great.*I'm talking more like what balance is best rather then absorption times.

I've read a few threads and saw how different people feel differently about different products. There are many really knowledgeable people on this forum and I think this could be a great discussion to open up.

Please no company bias! Also were not talking about taste... If you want a milkshake go get a frosty at wendy's.

Myofusion
Nutrapro
Wheyology
Petapro
Hemp protein
Gears
Maximum absorption protein
Humapro
BC + EAA
Modern bcaa
Xtend

From complex proteins that come with digestive aids to help absorption.
To the extremely simple bcaa formulas

I don't want to leave any big ones out, but you get the picture.

Please chime in with ideas, comments and other related questions!

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Bump bump. Any takers?

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've found that nutrient timing in general is irrelevant for 99% of the population. Things such as the "anabolic window" and "casein before bed to couteract catabolic effects" and even protein when you wake up because you've been starving yourself have pretty much all been disproven. The debate between straight whey and blends will continue to rage on as there are studies proving both sides. Personally i think you won't see much of a difference in body composition in either situation. For me, buying protein comes down to 3 factors: Price, Taste, and do i like the company.

Proteins that fit those 3 categories:
Myofusion/IntraPRO
XF UP
Trutein
Cytosport
Lipotropic (used to hate it but taste has grown on me)

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Rhadam, thanks for the input! Interesting.

In the past I have really felt the difference when I was getting a steady stream of good protein throughout the day... My good friend who was a competition bodybuilder always had amino intake going down.

Love to see a few more opinion's!

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Come on people. I'm sure more people have to have an opinion on this!

Echo echo.

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
I've found that nutrient timing in general is irrelevant for 99% of the population. Things such as the "anabolic window" and "casein before bed to couteract catabolic effects" and even protein when you wake up because you've been starving yourself have pretty much all been disproven. The debate between straight whey and blends will continue to rage on as there are studies proving both sides. Personally i think you won't see much of a difference in body composition in either situation. For me, buying protein comes down to 3 factors: Price, Taste, and do i like the company.

Proteins that fit those 3 categories:
Myofusion/IntraPRO
XF UP
Trutein
Cytosport
Lipotropic (used to hate it but taste has grown on me)

on trutein i actually felt a difference in how i performed. i know this bc once i stopped taking it, just wasnt the same. i duno i never really had a preference for proteins or saw a difference in body/strength on any others other then trutein. but then again i was dieting and just came off a big time defiecency in protein and fat due to poor habits.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
on trutein i actually felt a difference in how i performed. i know this bc once i stopped taking it, just wasnt the same. i duno i never really had a preference for proteins or saw a difference in body/strength on any others other then trutein. but then again i was dieting and just came off a big time defiecency in protein and fat due to poor habits.
You noticed a difference on trutein compared to myofussion? Interesting!
Thanks for the input.

Keep em coming guys!

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
You guys are lame... I give up. This could have been a damn good thread.

Thanks to those who helped.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
My favorite is trutein. I love when companies tell you what's in the product and how much. I also feel IMO blends and casein are far superior than whey. I usually go with nutrapro to support nutra and either trutein or ON casein. I also have an amazon subscription for musclemilk. Poke fun but the additional cals seem to really help me.

I just rotate products based on goals and how I feel. It's funny because I really dont consume many shakes and get most of my protein from food, yet I have so many jugs ( prolly because they last so long for me)

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
To add I don't notice much difference in bcaa blends at all. I like purple wraath the most then modern bcaa or xtend. I always have a big tub of ibcaa (PP) to add to my flavored bcaa to make both last longer.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Mm11

That's awesome dude. Love the mixing PP's bcaa's idea.

There is also something to be said from mixing things up. I too find that it helps getting protein from different sources. Lol. I think food is a great staple. ;)

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
myofusion/intra pro
map
ast vp2
ultra peptide

i use these regularly, nothing else anymore, iv wasted enuff on proteins i hated n gave away

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lean cuts of pork and beef. If you eat 4 meals a day 4 hours apart with 50-60g of protein from pork or beef, you've got a constant stream of aminos other than maybe the last couple of hours of sleep (pork + beef are under digestion for 4-6 hours). The absolutely only spot I see a shake as being necessary or even particularly useful is right after training if you do first thing in the morning fasted workouts. Outside of that not a whole lot of point to most of the protein powders. Maybe the peptopro ones make sense immediately post training as a part of recovery, but thats the main benefit it would provide if you are already eating the beef/pork.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you guys suggest for a protein blend? What do I mean? I'm looking for a mix of fast and either slow digesting, or fast, medium, slow, or fast and medium. Something like Myofusion, maybe, but with less crap in it (6g carbs and 3g fat). I know MF sells a protein blend, I might have to go with that, but just wondering if anyone knows of anything else that is real good. I have to rely on protein shakes for 2-3 of my meals (really 2 meals plus post-workout shake) since I don't have a Foreman grill or something to mass cook chickens on.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Easy, Jesus that's a lot of meat!

I don't know what it is exactly but I'm not as much a meat kinda guy as most, which makes things really difficult.I try to only eat a meal with chicken or steak once a day. And do eggs protein and shakes the rest. 90% of meat out there is pumped full of hormones and worse. I'm in NYC so farms aren't really an option. Lol

Isn't that much incredibly difficult to break down in your body?

Thanks for the feedback btw.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
I'm taking myofussion right now. I dig it. Great profile.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I like trutien for a blend because you know what the ratio is. It is expensive.

Easy is right shakes are not the same as food and more of a better than nothing replacement. With post work out and breaking a fast being acceptions. My opinion being said I still prefer blends or just pure casein over whey when I do resort to shakes.

Nutra also hooked up samples last order on protein so I'll be trying new flavors

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy, Jesus that's a lot of meat!

I don't know what it is exactly but I'm not as much a meat kinda guy as most, which makes things really difficult.I try to only eat a meal with chicken or steak once a day. And do eggs protein and shakes the rest. 90% of meat out there is pumped full of hormones and worse. I'm in NYC so farms aren't really an option. Lol

Isn't that much incredibly difficult to break down in your body?

Thanks for the feedback btw.
Its only a single chicken breast, or a 6-7oz piece of steak, not really much at all. Eggs are ok, but they do digest a good bit faster, so not as optimal for just eating 3 meals a day.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. I understand the idea of longer term protein breakdown. Meat sure serves it's purpose.

I'm deff getting a barrel full of truetein asap after what I have now finished.

Anybody ever look into hemp protein?

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. I understand the idea of longer term protein breakdown. Meat sure serves it's purpose.

I'm deff getting a barrel full of truetein asap after what I have now finished.

Anybody ever look into hemp protein?
i add it into my blends at 20%

amazing health benefits,

ssbackwards

Awards
  • Established
For blended proteins i use

Whey isolate Cold filtered 40%
Egg White protein 40%
Hemp Protein 20%

thats the break down of my blend.

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
For blended proteins i use

Whey isolate Cold filtered 40%
Egg White protein 40%
Hemp Protein 20%

thats the break down of my blend.
Love your blend. ...sell it to me? :p

Add some bulk lucine in there.

Hemp protein is supposed to have the highest bioavailability possible. (I think)