Mucuna Pruriens

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Interested in feedback from those using Mucuna Pruriens.

Once of the things I have heard it helps with is the refractory period after an orgasm.

The product I am looking at is MUCUNA PRURIENS EXTRACT STANDARDIZED TO 15% L-DOPA 400 Mg per cap. I was thinking of 6-8 caps at bedtime.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Interested in feedback from those using Mucuna Pruriens.

Once of the things I have heard it helps with is the refractory period after an orgasm.

The product I am looking at is MUCUNA PRURIENS EXTRACT STANDARDIZED TO 15% L-DOPA 400 Mg per cap. I was thinking of 6-8 caps at bedtime.
L-Dopa (what mucuna is extracted for) will decrease PRL levels significantly- PRL and the refractory period have been linked, so it may work- I would dose regular L-Dopa at 250-500 mg, so this would be roughly in line with the 6-8 capsule dose of the 15% L-Dopa Mucuna...

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback; would you notice any difference on the first dosage or when typically do u start to notice a difference?

Thought I saw somewhere that it helps to improve the appearance of your skin or something?

L-Dopa (what mucuna is extracted for) will decrease PRL levels significantly- PRL and the refractory period have been linked, so it may work- I would dose regular L-Dopa at 250-500 mg, so this would be roughly in line with the 6-8 capsule dose of the 15% L-Dopa Mucuna...

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good info bro!

Mike

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Is this based on an L-Dopa study or a mucuna study though? I know you know the difference, but I don't think the general public does...or a few other companies that are not yours and which I won't name;)

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mucuna Pruriens has shown independent ability to increase endogenous Testosterone, as well as increase endogenous GH.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The full spectrum bean is ideal, so getting the lower percentage MP is more suited toward sexual function. You lose some of the beautiful alkaloids if you get the bean extracted for a higher percentage of L-Dopa

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Mucuna Pruriens has shown independent ability to increase endogenous Testosterone, as well as increase endogenous GH.
I know and agree. I've been taking IGF-2 for about a month now. I was just asking about that particular study because a study where somebody gets L-DOPA is different than when somebody takes Mucuna.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Great to hear; so sounds like Mucuna Pruriens is definitely the way to go. :)

The full spectrum bean is ideal, so getting the lower percentage MP is more suited toward sexual function. You lose some of the beautiful alkaloids if you get the bean extracted for a higher percentage of L-Dopa

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Having used l-dopa and mucuna pruriens extensively, i agree that mucuna is the way to go. L-DOPA gets metabolized by COMT easily. Something in the mucuna extract (15-50% extract is ideal) stabilizes the L-DOPA.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Having used l-dopa and mucuna pruriens extensively, i agree that mucuna is the way to go. L-DOPA gets metabolized by COMT easily. Something in the mucuna extract (15-50% extract is ideal) stabilizes the L-DOPA.
You've used straight L-DOPA?! The concern shouldn't be metabolism. The concern should be dyskinesias and some really serious health issues.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is this based on an L-Dopa study or a mucuna study though? I know you know the difference, but I don't think the general public does...or a few other companies that are not yours and which I won't name;)
Personal experience and studies :) I like the mucuna extracted for L-Dopa a LOT better than synthetic L-Dopa- there is a difference from an effects standpoint, and it seems that synthetic L-Dopa transfers enzymatically quicker into dopamine and then norepi......There are studies on the difference between the two, at least from a neurotoxicity standpoint:

Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2010 Aug;16(7):458-65. Epub 2010 May 31.

A water extract of Mucuna pruriens provides long-term amelioration of parkinsonism with reduced risk for dyskinesias.
Lieu CA, Kunselman AR, Manyam BV, Venkiteswaran K, Subramanian T.

Department of Neurology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA.

Abstract
Dopaminergic anti-parkinsonian medications, such as levodopa (LD) cause drug-induced dyskinesias (DID) in majority of patients with Parkinson's disease (PD). Mucuna pruriens, a legume extensively used in Ayurveda to treat PD, is reputed to provide anti-parkinsonian benefits without inducing DID. We compared the behavioral effects of chronic parenteral administration of a water extract of M. pruriens seed powder (MPE) alone without any additives, MPE combined with the peripheral dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor (DDCI) benserazide (MPE+BZ), LD+BZ and LD alone without BZ in the hemiparkinsonian rat model of PD. A battery of behavioral tests assessed by blinded investigators served as outcome measures in these randomized trials. In experiment 1, animals that received LD+BZ or MPE+BZ at high (6mg/kg) and medium (4mg/kg) equivalent doses demonstrated significant alleviation of parkinsonism, but, developed severe dose-dependent DID. LD+BZ at low doses (2mg/kg) did not provide significant alleviation of parkinsonism. In contrast, MPE+BZ at an equivalent low dose significantly ameliorated parkinsonism. In experiment 2, MPE without any additives (12mg/kg and 20mg/kg LD equivalent dose) alleviated parkinsonism with significantly less DID compared to LD+BZ or MPE+BZ. In experiment 3, MPE without additives administered chronically provided long-term anti-parkinsonian benefits without causing DID. In experiment 4, MPE alone provided significantly more behavioral benefit when compared to the equivalent dose of synthetic LD alone without BZ. In experiment 5, MPE alone reduced the severity of DID in animals initially primed with LD+BZ. These findings suggest that M. pruriens contains water-soluble ingredients that either have an intrinsic DDCI-like activity or mitigate the need for an add-on DDCI to ameliorate parkinsonism. These unique long-term anti-parkinsonian effects of a parenterally administered water extract of M. pruriens seed powder may provide a platform for future drug discoveries and novel treatment strategies in PD.

J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2004 Dec;75(12):1672-7.

Mucuna pruriens in Parkinson's disease: a double blind clinical and pharmacological study.
Katzenschlager R, Evans A, Manson A, Patsalos PN, Ratnaraj N, Watt H, Timmermann L, Van der Giessen R, Lees AJ.

National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: The seed powder of the leguminous plant, Mucuna pruriens has long been used in traditional Ayurvedic Indian medicine for diseases including parkinsonism. We have assessed the clinical effects and levodopa (L-dopa) pharmacokinetics following two different doses of mucuna preparation and compared them with standard L-dopa/carbidopa (LD/CD).

METHODS: Eight Parkinson's disease patients with a short duration L-dopa response and on period dyskinesias completed a randomised, controlled, double blind crossover trial. Patients were challenged with single doses of 200/50 mg LD/CD, and 15 and 30 g of mucuna preparation in randomised order at weekly intervals. L-dopa pharmacokinetics were determined, and Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale and tapping speed were obtained at baseline and repeatedly during the 4 h following drug ingestion. Dyskinesias were assessed using modified AIMS and Goetz scales.

RESULTS: Compared with standard LD/CD, the 30 g mucuna preparation led to a considerably faster onset of effect (34.6 v 68.5 min; p = 0.021), reflected in shorter latencies to peak L-dopa plasma concentrations. Mean on time was 21.9% (37 min) longer with 30 g mucuna than with LD/CD (p = 0.021); peak L-dopa plasma concentrations were 110% higher and the area under the plasma concentration v time curve (area under curve) was 165.3% larger (p = 0.012). No significant differences in dyskinesias or tolerability occurred.

CONCLUSIONS: The rapid onset of action and longer on time without concomitant increase in dyskinesias on mucuna seed powder formulation suggest that this natural source of L-dopa might possess advantages over conventional L-dopa preparations in the long term management of PD. Assessment of long term efficacy and tolerability in a randomised, controlled study is warranted.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Exactly- good post- I have used them both extensively myself as well in product development- there are substantial structural differences between 99% L-Dopa Mucuna and synthetic L-Dopa when we run them side by side via NIR- they show up extensively in the non-treated spectra, as well as the pre-treatment derivative spectra- I can show you if someone can show me how to post certain types of files as pictures........

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Exactly- good post- I have used them both extensively myself as well in product development- there are substantial structural differences between 99% L-Dopa Mucuna and synthetic L-Dopa when we run them side by side via NIR- they show up extensively in the non-treated spectra, as well as the pre-treatment derivative spectra- I can show you if someone can show me how to post certain types of files as pictures........

you can change the file extension? *.pfd or maybe *.jpg

broons

Awards
  • Established
Wonder if its safe to take acetylated tyrosine, say 600mg, along with 15% mucuna?

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
you can change the file extension? *.pfd or maybe *.jpg
Tried both- I am trying to transfer a .nir file from our spectrometer- I printed out a copy and scanned it, but it looks like ****- I need to find a way to darken the image slightly.....I will mess with it again today if I have time

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dopamine biosynthesis, release, and metabolism

1) Tyrosine is taken into the neuron by a sodium-dependent mechanism
2) conversion of tyrosine to L-DOPA by TH is the rate-limiting step in the biosynthetic pathway
3) L-DOPA is converted to dopamine by DDC
4) dopamine is translocated into secretory vesicles for storage, protection, and secretion
5) fusion of secretory vesicles with the plasma membrane results in dopamine release into the synaptic cleft or the extracellular space ((s is the case with the TIDA neurons)
6) dopamine binds to its membrane receptors and initiates multiple effects in target cells
7) unbound dopamine is taken up by the DAT, located in the plasma membrane of the presynaptic neuron
8) both newly synthesized dopamine and that taken up into the cell are translocated into secretory vesicles by the VMAT
9) MAO, located in the outer mitochondrial membrane, converts dopamine to a deaminated metabolite
10) COMT converts dopamine or its deaminated metabolite to biologically inactive products

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
Could you guys recommend a good Mucuna Pruriens product? :) I think I will use it for PCT.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tried both- I am trying to transfer a .nir file from our spectrometer- I printed out a copy and scanned it, but it looks like ****- I need to find a way to darken the image slightly.....I will mess with it again today if I have time

The red line is synthetic L-Dopa (3 different scans); the blue lines are Mucuna Pruriens 99% L-Dopa (probably 30 different scans from a bunch of different commercial lots, plus the standard)

To interpret- the differences are very substantial in terms of the spectral footprint- especially @ 4000-5000 1/cm and 8800 1 c/m- these are the original, non-derivatized spectra- I will put up the pretreated later if you guys want- it will show the differences even more substantially....

PS it is really cool having your own in-house lab- how many other companies on this board can claim this? :)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I have found best results combing Lipotropin pm and activate xtreme, since they both use different percentages of L-dopa extracted from mucana, and boy the sleep is incredible not to mention the libido that one gets, for me its a surge with then a level off but everyone is different. Lipo also contains a natural decarboxylase which is EGCG from green tea, you could purchase it from the planet as well. If you really want to take your dopamine into hyperdrive, take some selegiline/rasagiline with it.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Going with America's Finest Hgh Dopa from Vitamin Shoppe or check out Dopa Mucuna 15% 400 mg, 90 Vcaps, NOW Foods.

Could you guys recommend a good Mucuna Pruriens product? :) I think I will use it for PCT.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, I actually already have it in my closet :D
Cool :)

I have found best results combing Lipotropin pm and activate xtreme, since they both use different percentages of L-dopa extracted from mucana, and boy the sleep is incredible not to mention the libido that one gets, for me its a surge with then a level off but everyone is different. Lipo also contains a natural decarboxylase which is EGCG from green tea, you could purchase it from the planet as well...
Stacking Lipotrophin-PM with IGF-2 would be wicked as well - I've done this over and over and loved it!

Or you can go all three - IGF-2, Activate Xtreme, Lipotrophin-PM, and you could add to this stack Drive.

~Rosie~

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Was thinking of that, but want to keep it simple for cost and get the best effect so others have suggested America's Finest Hgh Dopa from Vitamin Shoppe or check out Dopa Mucuna 15% 400 mg, 90 Vcaps, NOW Foods. :head:

Cool :)

Stacking Lipotrophin-PM with IGF-2 would be wicked as well - I've done this over and over and loved it!

Or you can go all three - IGF-2, Activate Xtreme, Lipotrophin-PM, and you could add to this stack Drive.

~Rosie~

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much L-dopa/mucuna should be taken, seen a study using up to 5 grams? Don't know what percentage of extract. If going in with a 15% extract for L-Dopa thinking of using 1600mg PCT.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
8 caps before bedtime of Dopa Mucuna 15% 400 mg.

How much L-dopa/mucuna should be taken, seen a study using up to 5 grams? Don't know what percentage of extract. If going in with a 15% extract for L-Dopa thinking of using 1600mg PCT.

broons

Awards
  • Established
I believe EGCG is a more powerful COMT inhibitor than it is a decarboxylase inhibitor. At any rate, its a good idea to take it with along with any dopamine or serotonin precurser to help minimize peripheral decarboxylase.

also, tattvasherbs has probably the best mucuna around imo

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't go any higher than 500 mg/day of 99% Mucuna extracted for L-Dopa, but I would only take 250 mg to start with- this would equate to an amount which would be a little under 250-500 mg/day of actual L-Dopa- anything over a gram a day can really start to throw off some side effects......

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
very much in agreement here, as the extraction process in anything often leads to losing some of the great benefits, think why isolate VS concentrate and others.....

great point

Handytom

Awards
macuna

makes me last a bit longer and my refractory period is shortened...ready to go again

Handytom

Awards
macuna

Swansons Vitamins. com.....350mg capsules 2 to three a day,,,some studies have subjects take 5GRAMS a day

Its cheap enough w/ swansons(13.99 for 200caps) tho the powder is light brown rather than dark brown w/ OTHER companies charging more

My moods are better, so is libido and performance(I think a bit bigger too)...plus macuna helps cholesterol and blood sugar..Im not really taking it for lean muscle mass, but I understand it can help with that too...hmmm maybe Ill try taking more of it for a couple weeks and see what happens

BTW, Tongkat Ali//longjack is great for sex booster

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what is your mucuna pruriens standardized at? The L-Dopa % is really what matters when using this herb

dallasboy22

dallasboy22

Awards
  • Established
So, should one take mucuna and L-dopa. Been looking at NOW l-dopa

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hmmm, no Im not...maybe oughtta call them
What are you exactly looking for from Mucuna?

Full spectrum bean like you pointed to is leaps and bounds better than the higher L-DOPA extract for libido and test... and has a neuro protective effect.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hmmm, no Im not...maybe oughtta call them
if its not listed directly on the label, its most likely simply raw herb that has been dried and processed...

Handytom

Awards
macuna

..called them, NOT standardized for L dopa...jeez Im just taking macuna..might be 25 % or 40:(

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
..called them, NOT standardized for L dopa...jeez Im just taking macuna..might be 25 % or 40:(
if its not standardized, it only contains the amount found naturally in the plant.

"The mature seeds of the plant contain about 3.1–6.1% L-DOPA,[SUP][10]"

[/SUP]

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Again, what are you looking to get out of Mucuna?

If it is libido/test.. you have the perfect product.

Handytom

Awards
macuna

yeh I was taking it for test, libido and moods(I quit smoking 3 yrs ago)

Maybe Ill try Now foods or the other one Vaughn True reccommended...I need to lose a bit of body fat

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeh I was taking it for test, libido and moods(I quit smoking 3 yrs ago)

Maybe Ill try Now foods or the other one Vaughn True reccommended...I need to lose a bit of body fat
our dosing of the ingredient is specifically geared towards increasing HGH, which can definitely help reduce bodyfat. The 5-HTP also increases serotonin levels which helps reduce bad food cravings.

Handytom

Awards
5HTP

...and it helps me sleep, like melatonin

So L DOPA in higher doses can increase GH and lose body fat?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...and it helps me sleep, like melatonin

So L DOPA in higher doses can increase GH and lose body fat?
Correct. L-Dopa at 500mg/dosage was shown to increase GH by 1400%. This can turn into reduced body fat, quicker recovery, and better muscle gains.

LiGHts Out will help you sleep BIG time as well.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Correct. L-Dopa at 500mg/dosage was shown to increase GH by 1400%. This can turn into reduced body fat, quicker recovery, and better muscle gains.

LiGHts Out will help you sleep BIG time as well.
Post up your research on the 1400%.. I am quite curious.