protein and test levels

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
My gym buddy is 39, like me. He got his test levels measured and was at 335. They told him this was normal. He told them it seemed low to him especially considering hit diet/activity/etc was all good. The doc said maybe he drinks too many protein shakes. Only thing I found suggesting that on this forum was an article posted by a banned user in '03 and it was a study conducted on 7 people. Anyone heard this? He barely gets 1g/lb of protein. Thanks.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive heard of high protein decreasing DHT levels but not test level but im subd for more info.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He should get his free T checked, along with sensitive E2. As an "over 35" dude, he really needs to be on top of that stuff.

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Maybe the doc meant he should eat more whole food.
...kind of along the same lines as what I was thinking.

Was the Doc specifically speaking about the Protein in the shakes, or the shakes themselves.......maybe another common ingredient??

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
The doc said maybe he drinks too many protein shakes.
That's definetly a possibility. Along with the shakes he needs real food, food with fat and cholesterol in it. Cholesterol is the precursor to all steriod hormones. He may not be getting enough fat in his diet. It's not too much protein that is the problem here, it's not enough fat with that protein.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ding ding ding. I think Flaw hit the nail on the head.
I did take some courses in nutrition and never found any mention of high protein being linked to low T. However, it IS known that chronically low fat intake can lead to low testosterone levels in the setting of high exercise intensity and caloric restriction. I've also heard lots of anecdotal reports of people being overtrained and taking in too little fat. I'd suggest boosting his fat intake, via fish oils and coconut oils as a start.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
The doctor specifically mentioned supplementing with protein shakes. My friend and I have the same rituals: post workout oatmeal with lots of flax, almonds throughout the day, a crapload of fish/krill oil, etc. Now it could very well be that for his level of activity, he still does not get enough healthy fats. We will look at how much he is actually getting.

His cholesterol is good. As far as protein intake, he only does 1-3 shakes. The rest if from food.

Here is something I found. It was posted by a banned user:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/6611-effects-diet-testosterone.html

The article more or less talks about having the correct ratio but seems to imply too much protein can be detrimental as well. It gets a little deeper than my well though. :)

I will advise him and my other friend(at a 276) to get a more detailed panel as implied by BigBlackGuy.

As usual, thanks for the input fellas'.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You really need to find out his fat intake through out the day. Also what foods is he getting fat from. I'm almost 100% sure it's not his protein supplementation doing this and I'm almost 100% sure that's not directly what the Dr. ment.