Fish Oil/Indigestion - AnabolicMinds.com

Fish Oil/Indigestion

  1. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,501
    Rep Power
    178408

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Question Fish Oil/Indigestion


    I have been off of Fish Oil for a good while. I started using it again as I am trying to get my training and diet back up to par. I have been noticing a significant increase in acid indigestion. Is this a known side effect? Anyone else notice the same effect?

    It isn't much of a problem that can't be dealt with. I am just curious.

    Thanks.

  2. Elite Member
    andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,461
    Rep Power
    489927

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Fish oil has poor absorption and digestion rate, go with krill oil...
  3. New Member
    shotdead42's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    22
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    141

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Fish oil has poor absorption and digestion rate, go with krill oil...
    everyone is different, i don't experience bloating or anything with it or any problems, but thats me... and if you just got back on it just give it time. And make sure you take it with food not on an empty stomach
    •   
       

  4. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,501
    Rep Power
    178408

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by shotdead42 View Post
    everyone is different, i don't experience bloating or anything with it or any problems, but thats me... and if you just got back on it just give it time. And make sure you take it with food not on an empty stomach
    Yeah I always take it with food. I didn't notice it as much today.
  5. New Member
    vzr22's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    48

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Fish oil has poor absorption and digestion rate, go with krill oil...
    Ill second that. krill oil kills the bloat for me
  6. Advanced Member
    bakerderek0's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    854
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    This is interesting because I just started taking fish oil & I notice a mild pain in my heart area. Its like a needle poking me in the heart. It may be unrelated, but it started at the same time I began fish oil consumption. I've never had heart burn or acid indigestin. I dunno. It's not a constant pain, but kind of erratic.
  7. New Member
    ccnAbolic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    86040

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bakerderek0 View Post
    This is interesting because I just started taking fish oil & I notice a mild pain in my heart area. Its like a needle poking me in the heart. It may be unrelated, but it started at the same time I began fish oil consumption. I've never had heart burn or acid indigestin. I dunno. It's not a constant pain, but kind of erratic.
    Sounds like maybe an esophegus spasm, which I suffer from a lot. Never hurts to check it out. Oximega Fish Oil helped, Trader Joe's Odorless completely eliminated it as a result from fish oil. Trying Krill now.

    Had to spell esophegus spasm wrong because it kept getting filtered...LOL
  8. Advanced Member
    HondaV65's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    2266

    Reputation

    My doctor says she FREEZES her fish oil caps before she takes them and that way she won't burp up fishy nast ...

    She swears by it.

    Me? I kind of like those little Tuna burps so I just go with flow ...
  9. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    27,753
    Rep Power
    10751398

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by HondaV65 View Post
    My doctor says she FREEZES her fish oil caps before she takes them and that way she won't burp up fishy nast ...

    She swears by it.

    Me? I kind of like those little Tuna burps so I just go with flow ...
    i don't know about freezing, but i have been putting it in fridge after opening for a long time now.
  10. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,501
    Rep Power
    178408

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    i don't know about freezing, but i have been putting it in fridge after opening for a long time now.
    Going to try that starting tomorrow. I have heard of that but just have never done it myself.
  11. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    27,753
    Rep Power
    10751398

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickster View Post
    Going to try that starting tomorrow. I have heard of that but just have never done it myself.
    it's automatic now, being doing it for a long time.
  12. New Member
    1609's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    61

    Reputation

    My doctor prescribed Lovaza. It's a pharmaceutical grade omega 3 fish oil. I never have issues with taste or burping up fish taste, but that could just be me.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Athletix's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    717
    Rep Power
    510953

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Yeah if you take it with meals it can sometimes be worse too as the fatty acids rise to the top of your stomach and cause heartburn. If you are getting heartburn from it at all you can use some sodium alginate, which acts as a barrier between your eso****us and the fatty acids.
    www.athletixsports.com Get your name on The List for specials. Facebook: Athletix Sports Instagram: @athletixsports Twitter: @Athletix_Sports.
  14. Ω Omega Sports Ω
    Clickster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,501
    Rep Power
    178408

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Thanks for the tips. I appreciate all the help.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Indigestion effects on nutrient absorption
    By TylerDurden7 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
  2. Powder Indigestion
    By mikemd21289 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 03:33 PM
  3. hyperdrol x2.. indigestion?
    By biggs14 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 05:58 PM
  4. ab workouts=indigestion
    By idelaluzi in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in