Need some help from you Carb lovers

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys just wondering if someone could help me out with this... I usually wake up around 10:30, eat breakfast and then head to class. I have class on Mon, Wed, Fri from 1-5.

Mind you this is only ONE class and we get a break but most of us use that time to get extra misc. work done. I usually bring a shake with me which consists of 50 g of whey and 40 g of waxy maize.

My question is this... Is there such a thing as a "casein carbohydrate" ? One that will digest slowly and give me some energy before i get to the gym around 5:15. I'm always starving by the time I get there beause I dont have the time to go and grab a full meal.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated if such a product exists.

adawg4929

Awards
  • Established
I guess you could consider complex carbs as your best bet. Something like steel cut oats would definitly last a long time in your digestive system, much quicker then something like lets say rolled oats, however even rolled oats would probablly keep you more satisifed then a basic carb powder.

One thing i would recommend doing is adding some fat to your shake, that will help to slow down the absorbtion rate so your hopefully not as hungry when getting in the gym.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Ok cool thanks for the tip I'll deff look into that. I've been meaning to give steel cut oats a try perfect timing. And what kind of fats would you recommend? Like a flax oil?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The rate in which carbs are process is rated using a rating system called the "glycemic index". I'm sure you've heard the term from those damn Nutrisystem commercials with Dan Marino. Google "glycemic index", I'm sure you'll find a plethora of info on different kinds of carbs.

I'd recommend you get some solid food in you. Liquid meals tend to process faster, which doesn't give much in the way of satiety. In my opinion, protein shakes are worse than Chinese food. Have a piece of bread, some crackers, or an apple. Apples actually have a really low glycemic index and are surprisingly filling.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Flax oil is great if you are on menopause. The omega-3 fatty acids are neither DHA or EPA, the polyunstaturated fats are quite high, and it's loaded with phyto-estrogens.

Stick with something rich in mono-unsaturated fats, with a little bit of poly, and low saturated fats. Almonds or walnuts are pretty fantabulous. Peanut butter always works - it's cheap and rich in healthy fats, minerals, and vitamin e.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok cool thanks for the tip I'll deff look into that. I've been meaning to give steel cut oats a try perfect timing. And what kind of fats would you recommend? Like a flax oil?
blend the oats dry, till they are a powder, then blend in the liquid. My preference for fat is natural peanut or almond butter.

drudixon

Awards
Hey guys just wondering if someone could help me out with this... I usually wake up around 10:30, eat breakfast and then head to class. I have class on Mon, Wed, Fri from 1-5.

Mind you this is only ONE class and we get a break but most of us use that time to get extra misc. work done. I usually bring a shake with me which consists of 50 g of whey and 40 g of waxy maize.

My question is this... Is there such a thing as a "casein carbohydrate" ? One that will digest slowly and give me some energy before i get to the gym around 5:15. I'm always starving by the time I get there beause I dont have the time to go and grab a full meal.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated if such a product exists.
You mean lactose? Milk sugar. It burns as fast as any other simple chain sugar. Lactose is rearranged before burned. If I understand what you're asking tho, is...

Whey is sucrose casein is to what? Go for your whole grains for your long lasting carbs. Oats, whole wheat, etc. Higher in dietary fiber (which is un-digestible long chain sugar) as well as nice complex carbs which you can digest.

Quaker Oats makes a nice oatmeal bar, and natures own granola bars are pretty good without the processed sugar.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
The rate in which carbs are process is rated using a rating system called the "glycemic index". I'm sure you've heard the term from those damn Nutrisystem commercials with Dan Marino. Google "glycemic index", I'm sure you'll find a plethora of info on different kinds of carbs.

I'd recommend you get some solid food in you. Liquid meals tend to process faster, which doesn't give much in the way of satiety. In my opinion, protein shakes are worse than Chinese food. Have a piece of bread, some crackers, or an apple. Apples actually have a really low glycemic index and are surprisingly filling.
Yea I'd love to be able to get whole food in to be honest I hate drinking shakes and usually only try to have 1 post workout. Its just difficult to get a quality meal in before the gym with school so I'm trying to make the best with what I've got.

Your right about the apples I definitely need to stock up on them as well. I have 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with breakfast so I'll have to do some research on other healthy fats. Thank you very much for the advice.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
blend the oats dry, till they are a powder, then blend in the liquid. My preference for fat is natural peanut or almond butter.
Definitely gona give the that a try. I think I'll opt for the almond butter as Im getting a little tired of peanut butter lol.

Do you think I should just save the waxy maize for intra or post workout? I respond very well to a lot of carbohydrates my diet is actually higher in carbs than it is in protein and its been working very well for me.

drudixon

Awards
Yea I'd love to be able to get whole food in to be honest I hate drinking shakes and usually only try to have 1 post workout. Its just difficult to get a quality meal in before the gym with school so I'm trying to make the best with what I've got.

Your right about the apples I definitely need to stock up on them as well. I have 2 tablespoons of peanut butter with breakfast so I'll have to do some research on other healthy fats. Thank you very much for the advice.
Apples = diarrhea for me :(

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely gona give the that a try. I think I'll opt for the almond butter as Im getting a little tired of peanut butter lol.

Do you think I should just save the waxy maize for intra or post workout? I respond very well to a lot of carbohydrates my diet is actually higher in carbs than it is in protein and its been working very well for me.
Save the waxy maize for peri workout (i.e., during workout time, including before, during and after) as it'll be best utilized then. If you want carbs to digest slowly, use some psyllium husk + oats.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Cool I think I'll throw a scoop in with my intra aid and see how that goes hopefully it will provide a nice boost currently not taking any stims so these late workouts are getting a little tough.

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
Save the waxy maize for post workout if ya gotta have it. I'd grab some sweet potatoes and use those for your carbs if you need carbs, they are a great choice, so are apples and the oats as well. Mix some fats with your shake/carbs to slow down the digestion a bit. Heck, you could even mix all that and have it for a shake. Whole food though are gonna rule for keeping you fuller longer, in my opinion, so those would be best if you can. I find if I prep my food (shakes excluded) for a few days worth of meals, it's far easier for me, and I do that on my days off. If it won't last that long, well, that's what the freezer is for. Good luck!!

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool I think I'll throw a scoop in with my intra aid and see how that goes hopefully it will provide a nice boost currently not taking any stims so these late workouts are getting a little tough.
Working out after class does suck. I've tested out some cortisol lowering supps used after my late stimulant workouts and they've improved my sleep quality. Specifically Erase and Endo-Amp.

Not bad considering 300mg of caffeine at 11, Endo-Amp or Erase at 12, then sleep by 12:30.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Save the waxy maize for post workout if ya gotta have it. I'd grab some sweet potatoes and use those for your carbs if you need carbs, they are a great choice, so are apples and the oats as well. Mix some fats with your shake/carbs to slow down the digestion a bit. Heck, you could even mix all that and have it for a shake. Whole food though are gonna rule for keeping you fuller longer, in my opinion, so those would be best if you can. I find if I prep my food (shakes excluded) for a few days worth of meals, it's far easier for me, and I do that on my days off. If it won't last that long, well, that's what the freezer is for. Good luck!!
Nice... I currently use sweet potatoes as a carb source and like them a lot. Is there anyway to prep so they can be eaten later on in the day? I'd love to bring a few to class with me. I microwave mine so id imagine they would go bad if i let them sit after a few hours.

wolverines

wolverines

Awards
  • Established
Working out after class does suck. I've tested out some cortisol lowering supps used after my late stimulant workouts and they've improved my sleep quality. Specifically Erase and Endo-Amp.

Not bad considering 300mg of caffeine at 11, Endo-Amp or Erase at 12, then sleep by 12:30.
Icic I've always heard good things about endo amp I'll have to look into adding that to my staple. Do you have any experience with 7 keto? Been thinking about that mainly to help with recovery/ stress from classes and gym time.

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
Nice... I currently use sweet potatoes as a carb source and like them a lot. Is there anyway to prep so they can be eaten later on in the day? I'd love to bring a few to class with me. I microwave mine so id imagine they would go bad if i let them sit after a few hours.
I actually have used a magic bullet to blend them with my protein shakes, and I've microwaved them and taken them to work with me as well. With no refrigeration, they have never gone bad at work. I use the ones in the plastic that you just pop in the microwave for like five minutes. Beef jerky is also good for protein, and you won't have to worry about it going bad in class either, although some brands are obviously better for you than others. For fats, I love Blue Diamond almonds, they have so many with awesome flavors. Bananas would also be a possibility as well.