Fish oil burps - YECH!

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys deal with it? I only take 1 or 2 softgels a day (1,000 mg each, with food), and the burps I get around 30 minutes later are gross! :rasp:

The brand is Nature's Bounty and they are "odorless," but that sure doesn't help when they come back up! :shocked1:

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get enteric coated pills... I can take 5 of them at once and no burps. Enteric coated ones don't release till it reaches the small intestine.

Orangatang

Orangatang

Awards
  • Established
I have Barlean brand fish oil soft gels. never had an issue with the burbs from these bc they are laced with citrus taste. They are a bit more expensive but worth it IMHO

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
just buy carlson's lemon flavored fish oil. Great fish oil and one bottle last over a month. I drink it straight from the bottle.

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
First off, cut them open and smell to make sure it isn't rancid. Do this with ANY brand. Remember this is stuff from the body of a fish. You don't wanna keep your tuna fish after it is opened in the cabinet, do you? So throw that bottle in the fridge....however, the best trick to getting rid of "fish burps' is to put you fish oil in the freezer. Take them just like that, frozen. Problem solved!

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
I freeze them and take them with some orange juice and a digestive enzyme before a large meal with no issues. That ritual was a result of trial and error. I take about 6G a day.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
Great suggestions.

Thanks, everybody!

(and keep 'em coming if you've got more . . .)

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
You don't get nearly the amount of DHA/EPA in krill oil. It is not cost effective either. That's a negative Ghostrider.
I suggest you do some more research about fish oil. It goes far beyond EPA/DHA levels in each pill. Krill oil is in phospholipid form and has been proven in every study that it outperforms regular fish oil. It also contains a potent antioxident. It is cost effective because only a low dose of 1gr is needed to duplicate the multiple studies. Genomyx will be releasing Krill oil very soon and I suggest you take another look...

Best of luck

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
I've never had a problem with this luckily and hear about it happening to people all of the time.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Krill oil is wayyyyy better than fish oil... fish oil is for n00bs :)

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
I suggest you do some more research about fish oil. It goes far beyond EPA/DHA levels in each pill. Krill oil is in phospholipid form and has been proven in every study that it outperforms regular fish oil. It also contains a potent antioxident. It is cost effective because only a low dose of 1gr is needed to duplicate the multiple studies. Genomyx will be releasing Krill oil very soon and I suggest you take another look...

Best of luck
I've done my research. More than you could imagine....as you don't know me. Krill oil is a great addition, but does not take the place of fish oils.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never get fish oil burps when I take the pills, then eat. But if I take em in the middle of my meal or after, I'm burpin for hours.

Mike

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Krill oil will not give fish oil burps because is much more readily digested, you can get cheap (free shipping) krill from rslsupplements, its called KTS

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
I never get fish oil burps when I take the pills, then eat. But if I take em in the middle of my meal or after, I'm burpin for hours.

Mike
Now that's something to think about. I'll try that so I can use up the rest of my current bottle, then I'll look into purchasing a different brand or type (i.e. "enteric").

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
OxiMega is our fish oil product, that's Enteric Coated and is flavored citrus. We also had an independent lab test for heavy metals. So no fish burps and high quality gels. Happy training!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established

Mike
In any case, as long as you eat with them... wouldn't want to take them on an empty stomach! That's probably the most misunderstood aspect of fish oils. Too many people taking them on an empty stomach

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
Enteric Coated is the way to go. I used to always go with Universals Omega Packs, but that just isn't too economical. Recently I have been using the Nutra Planet brand fish oil. No complaints at all.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That is just an ignorant post.
Sonic I didn't get into it, because Ev already mentioned the best part about krill oil. Just the phospholipid structure of EPA and DHA in krill oil make it far superior than the triglyceride structure of EPA and DHA of fish oil.

airram479

Awards
  • Established
How about freezing them???? By the time they make there way through the pipes it should take care of that.

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
Sonic I didn't get into it, because Ev already mentioned the best part about krill oil. Just the phospholipid structure of EPA and DHA in krill oil make it far superior than the triglyceride structure of EPA and DHA of fish oil.
That is fine to say that. It still isn't enough to be cost effective in how much is needed for athletic benefits. Anyway.......that is GOOD talk. My post as far as the "ignorance" was aimed at the statement of anything being a supplement for noobs. That is just plain sillyness and in no way should anyone be ostracized for being green to the boards, supplements or fitness in general.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
How do you guys deal with it? I only take 1 or 2 softgels a day (1,000 mg each, with food), and the burps I get around 30 minutes later are gross! :rasp:

The brand is Nature's Bounty and they are "odorless," but that sure doesn't help when they come back up! :shocked1:
Look for something enterically coated, or switch to Krill Oil since it is in phospholipid form (it is readily available for cellular uptake and utilization as opposed to fish oil which is in triglyceride form and must be digested and broken down in the liver and is not fully utilized). Hence the reason for the usually encountered 900mg of omega 3 from fish oil compared to the low 60-120mg of krill oil.

Krill oil naturally contains astaxanthin, an antioxidant proven 500x as potent as vitamin E and known to protect the essential fatty acids the krill oil provides. The pill size is also comparably smaller, and as I mentioned because it is in phospholipid form it doesn't have to go through the stomach (cell walls absorb it before it enters stomach) so u don't burp it back up like you do with fish oil.

Edit: I just read more of the thread, it seems this was already covered. Booo. Haha! :)

-Out