Question about post workout carbs.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Obviously, complex carbs are gonna be better than simple sugars for someone who workouts one body part for half an hour. If a person eats, waits an hour, and then puts themselves through like a 3 full body hour workout, could quick absorbing carbs be a good idea at the end of it, or should they still go with complex?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Are you referencing my weight? Im actually actually 220 instead of 240, and although I don't have a six pack, Im actually a lot leaner than you would expect a guy my hight and weight to be. Im to lazy to post a picture, but let me tell you that I go weeks at a time witout even seeing a person as muscular as myself, and I work in a grocery store.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I think he was referring to the fact that you can easily replenish your muscular glycogen stores throughout the rest of the day with a smart and targeted diet. The whole carbs after post wo thing can be a bit...hmm...exaggerated...

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
OK. Well, I still belive in post workout insulin for anabolism.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
You should consume 40-50% of total kcal/day as carbohydrates. This is widely accepted for sport performance. Beta-oxidation, protein deamination and synthesis require energy and metabolic intermediates from carbohydrates to occur (simply put).

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i think a couple of sugars after wouldnt hurt
its a way to satisfy cravings while minimizing "damage"

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think Ill try some fruit and oat powder with my protein. Im getting to a strength level were injuries build up, so I figure a little less insulin won't be so bad considering that it might leave a little more room for GH to heal my body. Adding to that, I hate the idea a huge insulin burst completely shutting off the thermoenesis I should experience after 3 hours of intense trainng. Also, somebody said that their arms went up while their waist went down doing this, but that person had diebeties, so who knows...

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I find that 2 bananas with my isolate drink after workout works well. Fruit is a good source for post wo carbs imo.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I think Ill try some fruit and oat powder with my protein. Im getting to a strength level were injuries build up, so I figure a little less insulin won't be so bad considering that it might leave a little more room for GH to heal my body. Adding to that, I hate the idea a huge insulin burst completely shutting off the thermoenesis I should experience after 3 hours of intense trainng. Also, somebody said that their arms went up while their waist went down doing this, but that person had diebeties, so who knows...
It could all depend on your own personal goals as well. If you're going for a cut or a recomp, it would probably be beneficial to, at the very least, keep post wo carb intake low/moderate. Nothing wrong with using your bodies most anabolic hormone for recuperation after a workout. Unless you're bulking though...I'm not a fan of it. I would rather have my GH release and keep my body in a fat burning state a little longer.

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
Yeah insulin is anabolic, but remember that anabolic simply means growth, meaning both muscle and fat. Carbs are a non-essential nutrient and definitely not necessary postworkout. If you're an endurance/performance athlete then I can see the argument, but if you're just a guy who lifts you don't need them.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Yeah insulin is anabolic, but remember that anabolic simply means growth, meaning both muscle and fat. Carbs are a non-essential nutrient and definitely not necessary postworkout. If you're an endurance/performance athlete then I can see the argument, but if you're just a guy who lifts you don't need them.
Where do you think the energy needed for protein transcription and translation comes from?

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
Where do you think the energy needed for protein transcription and translation comes from?
I would guess gluconeogenesis, but I didn't major in a lab science so I don't know. What I do know is there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, but no essential carbohydrates. Bulking or cutting, whatever you want, can be done without daily carbohydrate consumption.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I would guess gluconeogenesis, but I didn't major in a lab science so I don't know. What I do know is there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, but no essential carbohydrates. Bulking or cutting, whatever you want, can be done without daily carbohydrate consumption.
No, primarily it comes from glycolysis via any glucosyl unit. Yes, the body can manufacture glucose, but not in sufficient quantities for hypertrophic or sport performance is concerned which is the topic for this thread. There is no reason to not consume carbohydrates and plenty to consume.