Question about post workout carbs.

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

Question about post workout carbs.

Obviously, complex carbs are gonna be better than simple sugars for someone who workouts one body part for half an hour. If a person eats, waits an hour, and then puts themselves through like a 3 full body hour workout, could quick absorbing carbs be a good idea at the end of it, or should they still go with complex?

2. Banned

You need.. No carbs.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

Are you referencing my weight? Im actually actually 220 instead of 240, and although I don't have a six pack, Im actually a lot leaner than you would expect a guy my hight and weight to be. Im to lazy to post a picture, but let me tell you that I go weeks at a time witout even seeing a person as muscular as myself, and I work in a grocery store.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

I think he was referring to the fact that you can easily replenish your muscular glycogen stores throughout the rest of the day with a smart and targeted diet. The whole carbs after post wo thing can be a bit...hmm...exaggerated...
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

OK. Well, I still belive in post workout insulin for anabolism.
  6. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    You should consume 40-50% of total kcal/day as carbohydrates. This is widely accepted for sport performance. Beta-oxidation, protein deamination and synthesis require energy and metabolic intermediates from carbohydrates to occur (simply put).
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

i think a couple of sugars after wouldnt hurt
    its a way to satisfy cravings while minimizing "damage"
    The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

I think Ill try some fruit and oat powder with my protein. Im getting to a strength level were injuries build up, so I figure a little less insulin won't be so bad considering that it might leave a little more room for GH to heal my body. Adding to that, I hate the idea a huge insulin burst completely shutting off the thermoenesis I should experience after 3 hours of intense trainng. Also, somebody said that their arms went up while their waist went down doing this, but that person had diebeties, so who knows...
  9. Handsome and intelligent
    Board Sponsor

I eat a lot of calories after training.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I find that 2 bananas with my isolate drink after workout works well. Fruit is a good source for post wo carbs imo.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

I think Ill try some fruit and oat powder with my protein. Im getting to a strength level were injuries build up, so I figure a little less insulin won't be so bad considering that it might leave a little more room for GH to heal my body. Adding to that, I hate the idea a huge insulin burst completely shutting off the thermoenesis I should experience after 3 hours of intense trainng. Also, somebody said that their arms went up while their waist went down doing this, but that person had diebeties, so who knows...
    It could all depend on your own personal goals as well. If you're going for a cut or a recomp, it would probably be beneficial to, at the very least, keep post wo carb intake low/moderate. Nothing wrong with using your bodies most anabolic hormone for recuperation after a workout. Unless you're bulking though...I'm not a fan of it. I would rather have my GH release and keep my body in a fat burning state a little longer.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Yeah insulin is anabolic, but remember that anabolic simply means growth, meaning both muscle and fat. Carbs are a non-essential nutrient and definitely not necessary postworkout. If you're an endurance/performance athlete then I can see the argument, but if you're just a guy who lifts you don't need them.
  13. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by danieltx13 View Post
    Yeah insulin is anabolic, but remember that anabolic simply means growth, meaning both muscle and fat. Carbs are a non-essential nutrient and definitely not necessary postworkout. If you're an endurance/performance athlete then I can see the argument, but if you're just a guy who lifts you don't need them.
    Where do you think the energy needed for protein transcription and translation comes from?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    Where do you think the energy needed for protein transcription and translation comes from?
    I would guess gluconeogenesis, but I didn't major in a lab science so I don't know. What I do know is there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, but no essential carbohydrates. Bulking or cutting, whatever you want, can be done without daily carbohydrate consumption.
  15. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by danieltx13 View Post
    I would guess gluconeogenesis, but I didn't major in a lab science so I don't know. What I do know is there are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, but no essential carbohydrates. Bulking or cutting, whatever you want, can be done without daily carbohydrate consumption.
    No, primarily it comes from glycolysis via any glucosyl unit. Yes, the body can manufacture glucose, but not in sufficient quantities for hypertrophic or sport performance is concerned which is the topic for this thread. There is no reason to not consume carbohydrates and plenty to consume.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Question about post workout carbs
    By Sweekaters in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 05:02 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 10:52 AM
  3. post workout carbs
    By insane lifter in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 11:18 AM