Fish Oil. Period.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
So lets see, Lets start from the beginning.

Why should I take Fish oil?
Fish Oil as you know, or I hope would know, contains Fatty Acids. Fatty Acids would be Omega 3, 6, 9.

Omega 3: Not consumed as much in diet, known to work as an anti-inflammatory agent. Can help with Arthritis, lupus, osteoporosis, depression, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, ADHD, Skin disorders, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease), Asthma, macular degeneration, Colon Cancer, Prostate cancer,

Omega 6: This is normally consumed a lot more in the diet of an average person, can produce both good and bad eicosanoids. Known to help with diabetic sugar control, allergies, arthritis, ADHD, Cancer, High Blood Pressure, certain menopausal symptoms, osteoporosis, PMS

Omega 9: Also in a good bit of your diet, in the average person. Says to also help with lowering cholesterol, reduce hardening of arteries, reduces insulin resistance, improve immune function, protection against certain types of cancer

How much should I take?
There is much debate on this but I will give information on this and then my opinion.

So a healthy average adult should take about 2g, But who is healthy now a days. The American Heart Association encourages consumers to consume two to four once servings of fish per week, which is 3,000 mg of oil twice per week. Now with someone that is suffering from some type of inflammatory, it is recommended to take 4g daily. I have read different debates on this and has varied from 4g to 12g or even more! Now, Low to Moderate inflammatory disease, like asthma, arthritis, high blood pressure, has said to respond well to 3g of fish oil daily.

I have had Crohnes disease and have noticed that for me a high dose of 8g to 12g daily works well for me. Just food for thought.

Some research has shown fish oil to be anti-catabolic. Also have noticed for personal use after cycles. Deff. would consider use as a PCT. At a high intake. For Athletes/Bodybuilders, I have heard for people that want the anabolic effect use 10g of fish oil daily. Which is a little extreme. For an athlete on normal days I would recommend 4g since you body is going under a type of stress through working out. Its your body though so always make sure you know how your body reacts to anything and everything. Always be aware what is in your product and watch your blood work, make sure you are not getting an increase in some sort of mineral.

What about quality?

Ok, this could get ugly.

I hear this question all the time. “So, what is the difference in buying the expensive fish oil, compared to buying “Costco” brand?”

Ok FDA regulations on Fish Oil:
-All ingredients that are in the capsules must be listed on the nutrition label
-Of coarse from where the fish is caught and kept runs through certain regulations
-Lovasa, is the only FDA approved fish oil

Process of Fish Oil:
This is some of the processes that fish oil will go through. Not all companies follow these.

-Molecular Distillation: Converts oil into an ethyl ester, brings a very low level of contaminants.
-Stability: Reduces the risk of oxidative damage.
-This brings the Fish Oil into a higher concentration
-Cost of the product is normally very high
-Some of the triglycerides are lost in the process

-Oil Refining: a purification process utilized to remove contaminants, but does not offer concentration options.
-Neutralizing: Reduces flavor and color
-Less expensive process
-Triglycerides are kept
-Concentration is dependant on raw material
-risk of oxidative damage through process

So they both have there positive and negative sides to it all. Just know what your getting into when your buying product. Many “Grocery grade” fish oil products are known for there “Fillers”, which is what you do not want in your pills. Unless you like paying for crap! Ha.

Here are some ideas to help you look for a good Fish Oil.
-The product must have a list of what the specific fish was used.
-Must contain your fatty acids and it not just say Fish Oil
-Should list the amount of EPA and DHA
-100% natural!
-If it is in a dark glass container or plastic, that no light can shine through.
-If it needs to be kept in the fridge. Not all needs to be kept in fridge, but for me its personal interest, and hopefully has been kept cold all through process and travel. Cold, keeps quality of product.

Fatty Acids and Galore!
So there are a TON of oils out there that are full of fatty acids which is hard to correlate what is good and what is not, and merely just ends up being a “take and see if it hurts me” ordeal.
So here is a list of stuff with the Fatties!
-Fish (DUR!) & any type of seafood
-Flaxseeds
-Hemp seeds
-Chia seeds
-Soybeans
-Tofu
-Walnuts
-Olive Oil
-Winter Squash
-Beans
I am sure there is more out there. If anything else I missed let me know!
Hope this helps everyone and can stop all the fish oil questions. Ha.

Link to different products:
http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/fish-oil-summary.htm
:trout:

Quoted info on this post:
Broons-
Grass fed beef also contains a more proper ratio of omegas 3:6 versus grain and corn fed beef which has a more imbalanced 3:6 ratio.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
10g extreme? Pfft. Poloquin advocates what, 30g or more. Go for a real anabolic dose or die from in the improper blood clotting it causes. :)

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
10g extreme? Pfft. Poloquin advocates what, 30g or more. Go for a real anabolic dose or die from in the improper blood clotting it causes. :)
Interesting. I have not ran into anything that advises that..... Is there a link to this i would love to read this information! Or were you just talking somone on here that just takes really really really high doses?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good info

broons

Awards
  • Established
Grass fed beef also contains a more proper ratio of omegas 3:6 versus grain and corn fed beef which has a more imbalanced 3:6 ratio.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I take Carlsons fish oil at about 6 grams a day and works wonders on my joints. I have used other brands of fish oil and noticed no change...wasnt untill i switched to Carlsons that i noticed a difference. Good info.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Thank yah peeps!
Grass fed beef also contains a more proper ratio of omegas 3:6 versus grain and corn fed beef which has a more imbalanced 3:6 ratio
Good to know! makes perfect sense. And they say there isnt a diff in organic beef....
I take Carlsons fish oil at about 6 grams a day and works wonders on my joints. I have used other brands of fish oil and noticed no change...wasnt untill i switched to Carlsons that i noticed a difference. Good info.
Yeah not only with my crohnes, but when i started working on boats, there is alot of jumping around and landing on feet alot and steel decks and all rough on the joints, notice a huge difference when i have been forgetting to take my fish oil.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Fish breath and burp! ExScuze me! BURP:(

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Mine has a tripple filtration and is as good as lovaza on quality and fraction of the cost.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Mine has a tripple filtration and is as good as lovaza on quality and fraction of the cost.
I took lavosa but the only problem with it was tht it would make have diarrhea..... Never thought that would be a side affect...... But i talk to the docter and he said, yeah that a side effect...... wierd....
Oh man, people are going to start thinking people are paying me to say this.

Lab Test (Heavy Metals): Orange Oximega Fish Oil

PCB Lab Test: Orange OxiMega Fish Oil!
good reading. The only thing that stopped me from buying this product is from it being in a clear bottle..... I thought about going my own standards just because i love there multi vit. But i honestly like a liquid form in a dark brown or black glass bottle...
To stop fish burps, try storing it in the freezer
Sounds like a sweet idea. Will have to try that with some of the ones i already have frozen i normally let the thaw before i take them....

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
But you mind sending me a pm on the product link? you having any similar sides of what i was talking about?

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
I took lavosa but the only problem with it was tht it would make have diarrhea..... Never thought that would be a side affect...... But i talk to the docter and he said, yeah that a side effect...... wierd....
Never had an issue with Lovaza, been using it it for two months now. Did that guy ever show you which triple filtered one he was using?

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
Carlson's lemon-flavored fish oil in a bottle is the way to go. Everything nite before bed, I take 10g of the stuff and it taste awesome. Never a fish burp of any kind. Great cost too

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else have brands of Fish Oil they like? I'm about out and need to get more. I was using GNC brand it was about 22 bucks for 360 gelcaps I think, Buy 1 get one half off. Want to try something different now.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
i take oximega for the low heavy metals, but it gives me bad fish burps.
Just making sure - you take your fish oil with a meal, right?

I would hate to see people wasting their fish oils on an empty stomach.

Jabb

Awards
6-8 grams a day. Helps with asthma, and lubricates the joints. I don't think I could train the way I do without it.

As for Poliquin the only article I can find for him is where he states that people should take 7-10 of his 720mg brand. Not the real large amount.

Now for D3 he does have one where he advocates 30,000IU to 90,000IU's up to twice a week. Ouch!

Fanboy

Fanboy

Awards
Thank for the write up, I have been looking for a 'better' fish oil. I honestly did notice a difference when I ran out of fish oil and didn't take it for a bit. Its now a MUST for me

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Never had an issue with Lovaza, been using it it for two months now. Did that guy ever show you which triple filtered one he was using?
No he never did......... Wish he had......

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else have brands of Fish Oil they like? I'm about out and need to get more. I was using GNC brand it was about 22 bucks for 360 gelcaps I think, Buy 1 get one half off. Want to try something different now.
PFO health from the sun, is the one i take. Its in liquid form and the taste is not bad at all:food:. Its cheap, and i buy it from bodybuilding.com, sorry am.... lol

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
10-12 gm here-help control arthritis better than scripts.
Yeap. I started having a high omega diet, and my docter "says" im in remition with my crohnes. Coincidence? Unless the Lord decided to heal me, i think it had something to do with it.

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
6-8 grams a day. Helps with asthma, and lubricates the joints. I don't think I could train the way I do without it.

As for Poliquin the only article I can find for him is where he states that people should take 7-10 of his 720mg brand. Not the real large amount.

Now for D3 he does have one where he advocates 30,000IU to 90,000IU's up to twice a week. Ouch!
90000!? good greaf charlie brown! your blood would be water lol

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Yeap. I started having a high omega diet, and my docter "says" im in remition with my crohnes. Coincidence? Unless the Lord decided to heal me, i think it had something to do with it.
That's awesome to hear man.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my doc gave me a script for tramadol for my arthritis, believe me the fish oil does much more. i stopped taking the tramadol and just upped the fish oil-i feel a lot better.

considering asking my doc about that script fish oil i seen advertized on tv-anyone know anything about it?

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
my doc gave me a script for tramadol for my arthritis, believe me the fish oil does much more. i stopped taking the tramadol and just upped the fish oil-i feel a lot better.

considering asking my doc about that script fish oil i seen advertized on tv-anyone know anything about it?
Its Lovaza.

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
I dont think high doses of fish oil are good in the long run is good .. maybe for a couple of months max

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established

Lovasa is really high. and triple filtered, but like i said earlier it has side affects, like anything else out there. But one side effect is diarrhea..... Which with me was the case.

jmccown

Awards
I take both fish oil and flaxseed. My joints benefit from both.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lovasa is really high. and triple filtered, but like i said earlier it has side affects, like anything else out there. But one side effect is diarrhea..... Which with me was the case.
thanks- i thought lovaza was just a otc brand name, lol.

question, if lovaza is specific for cholesterol will it help joints like regular fish oil does? i have good insurance and 90% sure doc would prescribe, just want to know if it is right for me.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
thanks- i thought lovaza was just a otc brand name, lol.

question, if lovaza is specific for cholesterol will it help joints like regular fish oil does? i have good insurance and 90% sure doc would prescribe, just want to know if it is right for me.
You can say that about any fish oil and the side effects. Why make a generalized statement towards Lovaza any how vs all fish oil. Lovaza is not a OTC brand name. It is a pharm grade perscription.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You can say that about any fish oil and the side effects. Why make a generalized statement towards Lovaza any how vs all fish oil. Lovaza is not a OTC brand name. It is a pharm grade perscription.
mr. obvious...yeah, we already covered that.

Jabb

Awards
:You_Rock_Emoticon: Very nice man!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19