Vitamin D Does not Improve Muscle Strength

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting meta analysis just came out about Vitamin D. The suppversity blog summarized it nicely. Personally I take anywhere from 2000-4000iu's per day depending on the time of year and the amount of sun I might be getting.

In view of all the hype surrounding vitamin D, I think it is my duty to report on "negative" or inconclusive results of the ongoing research of the effects what some call a vitamin, others a hormone. Stockton et al. (Stockton. 2010) have now published a systematic review of the effect of vitamin D on muscle strength. After evaluating data from 52 studies, involving 5,072 participants, their conclusion is quite unambiguous:

Based on studies included in this systematic review, vitamin D supplementation does not have a significant effect on muscle strength in adults with baseline 25(OH)D >25 nmol/L. However, a limited number of studies demonstrate an increase in proximal muscle strength in adults with vitamin D deficiency.

Bottom line: Go see a doctor, have your vitamin D levels checked and if you are deficient (if you are living in the Nothern Hemisphere, chances are that your levels are too low especially in the winter month), supplement with an adequate amount of vitamin D.
SuppVersity - Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone: Vitamin D Does not Improve Muscle Strength

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
first

BrYmAsTeR17

Banned
Awards
  • Established
second LOL

wow that's a bummer. I knew it all along. Multivitamins suck ballz

SynergyIre

Awards
  • Established
Wait... People were supplementing with Vitamin D to Improve strength? LOL

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
a few t-boosters recently have added vitamin D to boost test/strength/mass etc

i supplemented with one 5,000 iu vit d cap per day for like 2 months straight and never really noticed anything and im not in the sun very often so i know i had a lot to improve on

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wait... People were supplementing with Vitamin D to Improve strength? LOL
It may actually be be a good idea if you have a deficiency. Here it is again:

However, a limited number of studies demonstrate an increase in proximal muscle strength in adults with vitamin D deficiency
So to answer your un-serious question, yes.

smith22

Awards
i thought it was sun rays caused vita d to increase test levels just from sun though??? mens heath had an article bout it awhile back im not to sure about this though

JCunningham

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, I thought Vit. D increased test levels, not strength..

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I wish their was a way to rename threads. The OP himself admitted that at least getting enough vitamin D can still be important for strength.

SynergyIre

Awards
  • Established
It may actually be be a good idea if you have a deficiency. Here it is again:
I certainly get the benefit vitamin D, I was more of an understanding that it was added as being deficient in vitamin D wasn't ideal environment for the other compounds to work, like being low on zinc makes it harder for the body to increase test levels.

I wish their was a way to rename threads. The OP himself admitted that at least getting enough vitamin D can still be important for strength.
Vitamin D is important for life. A better name would be "Mega dosing Vitamin D doesn't improve muscle strength"

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Doesn't make vitamin d supplementation any less beneficial. Vitamin d is needed for a ton of biochemical reactions in the body and most people are slightly to very deficient. Vitamin D - the original prohormone.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Why would you want to rename the thread? The title still holds true.
Well, if you are deficient, then getting more still seems to build strength, so it seems a little more complicated than "It doesnt build strength at all.", which is what the title implies.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, I thought Vit. D increased test levels, not strength..
If you have a deficiency sure. It also helps in metabolising estrogen, strengthens bones, helps with sleep, has many functions. Going above the normal ranges is of no benefit though.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
have you guys seen the new vitamin D coming by muscletech?

its called D-tech Pro Series...
Servings per Container 5
Serving Size 1000 grams
------------------------------------------
ingredients

Sugar-998g
---------------------------------------------
YouWontBelieveHowHugeYouwillGetwhileonThis Blend-2grams
***maltodextrin,honey, jay cutlers scrodum, antlers butt, botox, silicon boobs, a tractor, SMURF, Troll, decabol, emails, lead, a piece of hari from Troy Palomalu, creatinine,semen from seamen, vitamin d...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some of the functions they're beginning to understand in regard to Vitamin D are amazing. It's a unique prohormone (falsely classified as a vitamin) that's been shown in some research to have the ability to both activate and terminate specific genetic functioning at the cellular level. Some of the studies in regard to cancer/malignancy and Vitamin D alone have been very promising. If anything, it holds immense immune function benefits that will contribute to better long term health and vitality.

I've read studies that show improvement in testosterone production and function; as well as some that note no statistical significance in the results. I think in this regard more research is still needed.

I live in Florida and still supplement with 4000 IU's daily. I have my level checked at least once yearly, and now have it stabilized in the upper-end of the therapeutic recommendation.

I compiled a bunch of studies that are pretty interesting to read months back. I have a bunch more to add in the future as well.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/137463-complete-vitamin-d.html?highlight=complete+vitamin+thread

-John

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doesn't make vitamin d supplementation any less beneficial. Vitamin d is needed for a ton of biochemical reactions in the body and most people are slightly to very deficient. Vitamin D - the original prohormone.
At no point in the thread did I not say supplementation with Vit D wasnt beneficial. In fact, I even stated I use it myself. Do you have a reference for the bolded? Not the old smoker guy study either please.

Well, if you are deficient, then getting more still seems to build strength, so it seems a little more complicated than "It doesnt build strength at all.", which is what the title implies.
It's a title meant to grab attention. Also it was the title of the blog I reposted here. Don't shoot the messenger.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some of the functions they're beginning to understand in regard to Vitamin D are amazing. It's a unique prohormone (falsely classified as a vitamin) that's been shown in some research to have the ability to both activate and terminate specific genetic functioning at the cellular level. Some of the studies in regard to cancer/malignancy and Vitamin D alone have been very promising. If anything, it holds immense immune function benefits that will contribute to better long term health and vitality.

I've read studies that show improvement in testosterone production and function; as well as some that note no statistical significance in the results. I think in this regard more research is still needed.

I live in Florida and still supplement with 4000 IU's daily. I have my level checked at least once yearly, and now have it stabilized in the upper-end of the therapeutic recommendation.

I compiled a bunch of studies that are pretty interesting to read months back. I have a bunch more to add in the future as well.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/137463-complete-vitamin-d.html?highlight=complete+vitamin+thread

-John
Great post my man. I think you make an excellent point here. If I'm sick all the time I'm sure as hell not going to the gym. So in a way we could argue it supports your weight training and diet thus leading to potential strength.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great post my man. I think you make an excellent point here. If I'm sick all the time I'm sure as hell not going to the gym. So in a way we could argue it supports your weight training and diet thus leading to potential strength.
Thanks, bro. I think the enhanced immune function benefits are the most interesting aspect about Vitamin D to date. Not only does it improve the humoral and cell-mediated aspects of immunology; it also has been shown to produce/upregulate antimicrobial peptides which are natural antibiotics/antivirals.

Staying healthy is the best thing for all of our training goals. :D

-John

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
At no point in the thread did I not say supplementation with Vit D wasnt beneficial. In fact, I even stated I use it myself. Do you have a reference for the bolded? Not the old smoker guy study either please.
Easy killer, you seem a little worked up. 4% of the people I have worked with have had levels of 25 hydroxy d higher than 50ng/ml, which is what a lot of experts on vitamin D recommend and I tend to agree. Besides personal evidence, I refer you to the NIH:

The 2000-2004 NHANES provides the most recent data on the vitamin D nutritional status of the U.S. population. Generally, younger people had higher serum 25(OH)D levels than older people, males had higher levels than females, and non-Hispanic whites had higher levels than Mexican Americans, who in turn had higher levels than non-Hispanic blacks. Depending on the population group, 1%-9% had serum 25(OH)D levels <11 ng/mL (<27.5 nmol/L), 8%-36% had levels <20 ng/mL (<50 nmol/L), and the majority (50%-78%) had levels <30 ng/mL (<75 nmol/L) [42].
Theres a lot more in that link http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/ stating that some of the studies may be flawed but nonetheless, people don't get enough D. It's only found in fortified milk for the most part and people don't spend much time outside without sun block on anymore if they're outside at all.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Easy killer, you seem a little worked up. 4% of the people I have worked with have had levels of 25 hydroxy d higher than 50ng/ml, which is what a lot of experts on vitamin D recommend and I tend to agree. Besides personal evidence, I refer you to the NIH:

Originally Posted by National Institute of Health
The 2000-2004 NHANES provides the most recent data on the vitamin D nutritional status of the U.S. population. Generally, younger people had higher serum 25(OH)D levels than older people, males had higher levels than females, and non-Hispanic whites had higher levels than Mexican Americans, who in turn had higher levels than non-Hispanic blacks. Depending on the population group, 1%-9% had serum 25(OH)D levels <11 ng/mL (<27.5 nmol/L), 8%-36% had levels <20 ng/mL (<50 nmol/L), and the majority (50%-78%) had levels <30 ng/mL (<75 nmol/L) [42].

Theres a lot more in that link http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/ stating that some of the studies may be flawed but nonetheless, people don't get enough D. It's only found in fortified milk for the most part and people don't spend much time outside without sun block on anymore if they're outside at all.
The meta analysis had nothing to do with levels > than 50ng/ml. And once again at no point have I stated Vitamin D supplementation IS NOT beneficial.

Also your NIH post actually seems to indicate that a lot of people here probably have good enough 25(OH)D levels. I don't know the exact demographic of the board but I would guess young males are common here...

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
I've read recently that vitamin D in any pill/synthetic form is underdosed and toxic. Opt for cod liver instead. I just threw out my vitamin d caps from wal-mart and bought cod liver oil...yum

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
have you guys seen the new vitamin D coming by muscletech?

its called D-tech Pro Series...
Servings per Container 5
Serving Size 1000 grams
------------------------------------------
ingredients

Sugar-998g
---------------------------------------------
YouWontBelieveHowHugeYouwillGetwhileonThis Blend-2grams
***maltodextrin,honey, jay cutlers scrodum, antlers butt, botox, silicon boobs, a tractor, SMURF, Troll, decabol, emails, lead, a piece of hari from Troy Palomalu, creatinine,semen from seamen, vitamin d...
I'll stick with D-Tech Pro Series

...effecive and its only $69.99

who wants to get huge for only $70

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I've read recently that vitamin D in any pill/synthetic form is underdosed and toxic. Opt for cod liver instead. I just threw out my vitamin d caps from wal-mart and bought cod liver oil...yum
Ive heard that D3 is the stuff in your body, but I could be wrong.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Wow, another meta analysis pulling a wild conclusion by poor interpretation of data sets. Wait, you have to incorporate some strength training program to see results? You mean I can't just take a grip strength test on day 0 and then take 1000IUs of d3 for 30days and take another grip strength test and expect improvement? Well, I bet these participants were fit or at least in average health right? Long stay geriatric unit with mean age of 85.3, Geriatric inpatient mean age of 82.5, Institutionalised stroke patients with mean age of 74. Yup, those are test groups upon which you can draw conclusions and apply them to the general public. Can you believe that flawed procedures yield flawed data- who fuckin knew? Anyone?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Haha. I don't think anyone expected this stuff to get old fogies up and at em again. We only whant a small boost.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Who cares what the study says. Everyone I know that has increased vitamin d dosage through either sun or d3 supplementation has felt better. If you believe its good stuff, use it. If not, then don't.

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
Who cares what the study says. Everyone I know that has increased vitamin d dosage through either sun or d3 supplementation has felt better. If you believe its good stuff, use it. If not, then don't.
Word, too many conflicting studies out there, but I do believe in supplementing with d3.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Well said, D3 is good for the hormones and that's all I need to know.