BCAA's vs EAA's

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been taking an $ combo of the two since EAA's became "popular" a few years ago. (I do about 40 Grams of EAA/BCAA's daily)

What's the latest consenses....are these needed?

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's very smart of you, as recent research has shown that BCAAs don't really work too well without the EAAs.

So long as you're spacing out this 40g out through the day, you should be well off. Is this in addition to your whey/casein proteins, or instead of?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I drink this mix from 6am thru 8am .

I work out at 7am so this 40 grams mix is taken pre,peri,post workout.

I also take in 250 protein per day in various forms. Justwonder if this is overkill.

That's very smart of you, as recent research has shown that BCAAs don't really work too well without the EAAs.

So long as you're spacing out this 40g out through the day, you should be well off. Is this in addition to your whey/casein proteins, or instead of?

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I drink this mix from 6am thru 8am .

I work out at 7am so this 40 grams mix is taken pre,peri,post workout.

I also take in 250 protein per day in various forms. Justwonder if this is overkill.
No that's fine. Good work mate :cheers:

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer MAP (Maximum Absorbed Protein by Primordial Performance) to any BC(E)AA blend. Considering it's hydrolyzed casein, you really can't get more pure than that. You can also go with Pre-max, which is a mixture of hydrolyzed casein, GlycoCarn, and freeze-dried pomegranate.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Do you have the study to hand?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you sure that is the right link? I didn't see anything about BCAAs or EAAs in there. Only a whey + leucine combo.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
It doesn't really matter what others say as opposed to how it works for you. Personally I would say ditch the BCAA's and use the EAA's pre-during-after training and see what happens.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I asked this in another thread. Has anyone else heard of the correlation between insulin resistance and supplementation of BCAA's, more specifically Leucine? I've read various studies that purport that high BCAA usage results in the activation of MTor which could result in developing insulin resistance.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Highly unlikely that insulin resistance would occur even from liberal Leucine use.

Leucine does spike insulin but Leucine should be the least of your concerns in the bigger picture of things that will induce insulin resistance. Daily Macro's (unhealthy fats and carbohydrate abuse) and lack of exercise are the things to worry about amongst other potential things (excessive GH-use, sleep deprivation, stress, insulin mis-use, etc).

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a fan of BCAA's because they inhibit Tryptophan transfer which lowers serotonin, Inhibits Phenylalanine and tyrosine which lowers dopamine, and lowers norenephrine. All of this at the cost of a slightly higher level of muscle recovery and strength?? This issue does not occur in whole food sources of protein. I personally have noticed mood issues and sleep problems with supplementing with BCAA's. The only ones that would benifet from BCAA supplementation are the people who have excessive levels of serotonin and dopamine that is making them fatigued during exercise. Exercise also increases serotonin so BCAA's after a workout would reduce your serotonin levels as well.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Liver Tabs are even cheaper then bulk EAA's ;)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Check out Universal's liver tabs and check out the amino acid content.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
going off of nutraplanets site:

uni liver 500 tabs for $22.99 -> 2 tabs = 3.2g protein, 3.2g x 250 "servings = 800g total

nutra brand bulk EAA 500g for $12.95 (kilo for $25.90)

i guess its close and tabs are more convenient than choking down some nasty concoction but i think of uni liver as more of a whole protein supplement because it has the full spectrum of aminos. it has "whey" in the ingredients as well. and when i think of it that way, 2.2 kilos of protein usually goes for ~$29.99, so it seems more economical to buy straight whey. but tabs compared to any type of flavored amino acid drink, the tabs win. I havnt gotten uni liver in a while since the price jumped on them significantly, but they were pretty easy

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
going off of nutraplanets site:

uni liver 500 tabs for $22.99 -> 2 tabs = 3.2g protein, 3.2g x 250 "servings = 800g total

nutra brand bulk EAA 500g for $12.95 (kilo for $25.90)

i guess its close and tabs are more convenient than choking down some nasty concoction but i think of uni liver as more of a whole protein supplement because it has the full spectrum of aminos. it has "whey" in the ingredients as well. and when i think of it that way, 2.2 kilos of protein usually goes for ~$29.99, so it seems more economical to buy straight whey. but tabs compared to any type of flavored amino acid drink, the tabs win. I havnt gotten uni liver in a while since the price jumped on them significantly, but they were pretty easy
Check your PM. The benifet of liver tabs is that they are so rich in protein and even vitamins and minerals in such a small amount. They are tasteless and convenient because you swallow them. What I do is take 2 first thing in the morning on a empty stomach, Take 2-4 preworkout and then 2-4 postworkout, 2-4 right before bed. My other protein sources come from real food, not supplements. With liver tabs I notice the effects of the aminos by themselves and not the competing effect you get with whey. For example, for some reason they put me in a good mood and more energized. I give credit to the tryptophan actually having it's effect. Most EAA's powder does not contain tryptophan. For myself this is one big reason I don't like them.

Bigugly

Bigugly

Awards

Kudos!!!

I take 4-6 liver tabs 5-8 times a day.... Might be a bit of a over kill but them suckers are just so GOOD for u

giantbrandon

Awards
  • Established
why dont they put some tryptophan in these eaa mixes?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1) Tryptophan give you energy? I though it would calm you .

2) Can't you just add Tryptophan - dirt cheap.

With liver tabs I notice the effects of the aminos by themselves and not the competing effect you get with whey. For example, for some reason they put me in a good mood and more energized. I give credit to the tryptophan actually having it's effect. Most EAA's powder does not contain tryptophan. For myself this is one big reason I don't like them.

Bigugly

Bigugly

Awards

I believe the tryptophan in the liver tabs in naturally occurring.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Let's sip expensive amino acids throughout the day to prevent catabolism when we can accomplish the exact same effect with a carbohydrate source or simple protein. No, the carbs won't spike your fuckin insulin levels or lead to elevated blood glucose levels. Though I'm assuming you're kinda dumb in the first place and think that's desirable so you don't go catabolic. This isn't directed towards anyone in particular just those who advocate sipping on aminos throughout the day. Hey, anyone wanna see a study showing a refractory period in muscle protein synthesis when using aminos and protein in this manner?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
why dont they put some tryptophan in these eaa mixes?
Because in some tryptophan may slow down performance making you tired or lathargic.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established

It depends on what your make up is. A relaxed muscle is a working muscle. If tryptophan calms you then your muscles will work better. On the other hand if your stressed or anxious your muscles tend to be tight and perform less.

Tryptophan is not cheap either. Look online for bulk powders and there's very few decent deals and reputable sources. A reason why they may not add tryptophan also is the cost.

giantbrandon

Awards
  • Established
LG'S bc+eaa has 60.4mg of Tryptophan in it, that wouldnt be enough to cause any issues, im running it atm

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BUMP

i've been taking uni-liver for years at 24-40 some tabs a day. About a month ago I started using bulk BCAAs and noticed strength, recovery and size gains right away. I ran a search for a thread like this bc i was thinking about ditching the liver and using more bcaas. I think ill cut the liver down to a max of 24 tabs a day and up the bcaas from 20 gram intra w/o to 30 grams a day... I'm thinking 5gs upon waking, 5gs pre w/o, 10gs intra w/o, 5 grams post w/o and 5gs before bed.

ANY thoughts?

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
BUMP

i've been taking uni-liver for years at 24-40 some tabs a day. About a month ago I started using bulk BCAAs and noticed strength, recovery and size gains right away. I ran a search for a thread like this bc i was thinking about ditching the liver and using more bcaas. I think ill cut the liver down to a max of 24 tabs a day and up the bcaas from 20 gram intra w/o to 30 grams a day... I'm thinking 5gs upon waking, 5gs pre w/o, 10gs intra w/o, 5 grams post w/o and 5gs before bed.

ANY thoughts?
that sounds good. maybe run it for a month and see how recovery is effected and adjust accordingly.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that sounds good. maybe run it for a month and see how recovery is effected and adjust accordingly.
Word

Gonna take 3-4 liver tabs between meals also (dropped down from 6)

I really do wanna order some bulk EAAs also! Lol I bet I could spend a easy grand on supps a month...

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Word

Gonna take 3-4 liver tabs between meals also (dropped down from 6)

I really do wanna order some bulk EAAs also! Lol I bet I could spend a easy grand on supps a month...
i could too, if only i owned a supp store. i usually go with my EAAs. they were on sale for like 12 bucks for 500g at nutra for a while, probably still are. cant beat that!! flavoring is a little difficult, tho, same as BCAAs

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i prefer EAAs, i always used BCAA...xtend, chaind out, bulk all had the same effects. I then tried Intrabolic after talking to Sebastion from AEN, and my recovery has never been better...Im a believer now, I prefer highly hydro whey/casien now

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i could too, if only i owned a supp store. i usually go with my EAAs. they were on sale for like 12 bucks for 500g at nutra for a while, probably still are. cant beat that!! flavoring is a little difficult, tho, same as BCAAs
Looks like NP got out of the EAA game... They've been discontinued.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i prefer EAAs, i always used BCAA...xtend, chaind out, bulk all had the same effects. I then tried Intrabolic after talking to Sebastion from AEN, and my recovery has never been better...Im a believer now, I prefer highly hydro whey/casien now
You use both now or only EAAs?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use both since i still have some chaind out and xtend to go thru, then ill be using purple wraath first thing in the morning, and right before bed, intrabolid during my workout with MAP/Purple Wraath on the days i fast

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Looks like NP got out of the EAA game... They've been discontinued.
omg. no. i should have stocked up. that stuff was dirt cheap. i was taking 30g around my workout and it was solid. i got 2 kilos months ago and im still using it, but its not gonna last much longer after i start cutting soon. i wish nutra would do a big sale on BC+EAA from LG, the kiwi flavor was awesome on that stuff.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea i was sad to see the stuff out of stock too, Purple Wraath is a solid product...BC+EAA by lg doesnt seem worth it, they dont disclose the level of hydrolisis (sp?) of the pea/whey hydro

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Yea i was sad to see the stuff out of stock too, Purple Wraath is a solid product...BC+EAA by lg doesnt seem worth it, they dont disclose the level of hydrolisis (sp?) of the pea/whey hydro
purple wraath does look good and from what i remember the flavoring was pretty unique (not in a bad way). price point wise, its not that impressive. im a super responder to BA so i buy bulk on that already. the other ingredients in it arnt anything i have to have, tho. 630g EAA/ container for $55 at nutra, when i was paying $12 for 500g makes me sad

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Right, but i believe the concentration of leucine is higher in purple wraath, its already flavored, crystal light is pricey, it has cit mal which i like, and the ginger provides a very nice nootropic effect, i always sweet more and haved more focus when i used it. But i see your point, check trueprotein for their prices

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Right, but i believe the concentration of leucine is higher in purple wraath, its already flavored, crystal light is pricey, it has cit mal which i like, and the ginger provides a very nice nootropic effect, i always sweet more and haved more focus when i used it. But i see your point, check trueprotein for their prices
i have a strong preference to NP as i live right down the street to it so i dont have to pay shipping, which saves me lots of money. if i was gonna order from somewhere else id probably go with peptopro to use around workouts or just get some cheap protein to use.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
oh i see, yea try peptopro or intrabolic!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
peptopro is 80% di and tri peptides, it absorbs faster then free form EAA would, how ever the leucine content is to low to really have maximal effect imo. Maybe 10g Peptopro with 2.5g Leucine since there is about .9g in the Pepto....just thought, since Intrabolic has Extra EAA and 2.5g Leucine added per scoop and CL purple intrain has 2.5g leucine added to a scoop too.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone experience these negative sides from BCAA/EAA use?

I'm not a fan of BCAA's because they inhibit Tryptophan transfer which lowers serotonin, Inhibits Phenylalanine and tyrosine which lowers dopamine, and lowers norenephrine. All of this at the cost of a slightly higher level of muscle recovery and strength?? This issue does not occur in whole food sources of protein. I personally have noticed mood issues and sleep problems with supplementing with BCAA's. The only ones that would benifet from BCAA supplementation are the people who have excessive levels of serotonin and dopamine that is making them fatigued during exercise. Exercise also increases serotonin so BCAA's after a workout would reduce your serotonin levels as well.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I thought the same until I did some googling

Quite a bit of compelling info out there to support the notion that BCAAS can indeed cause dopamine a serotonin levels to drop.

No bc that's laughable

Touey

Touey

Awards
especially so for those whom struggle with issues like anxiety depression etc