Excitotoxins worries

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
DAA and L-Glutamine (and probably some others supps) apparently work as excitotoxins. This worries me.
Are there any supps I should take or things I should do to prevent damage?? Or am I being overly anxious here?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
are you feeling adverse reactions to supplementing with one, or both?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you confusing L-glutamine with L-glutamate? It may convert actually, so either way...

Anyways, I am also interested to hear what others have to say about preventing the possible damage

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I believe anything that would prevent DAA from acting as excitotoxin would also prevent it from working

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
Are you confusing L-glutamine with L-glutamate? It may convert actually, so either way...

Anyways, I am also interested to hear what others have to say about preventing the possible damage
I found this article: http://www.newtreatments.org/loadlocal.php?hid=974
I'm absolutely no expert, but it sounds scary. I don't know how credible that site is, or if any new research has been done.. etc etc.
Apparently taurine could prevent some of the damage. I have no idea..

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found this article: http://www.newtreatments.org/loadlocal.php?hid=974
I'm absolutely no expert, but it sounds scary. I don't know how credible that site is, or if any new research has been done.. etc etc.
Apparently taurine could prevent some of the damage. I have no idea..
Yea I have heard of that book "Taste that kills"

The biggest thing is figuring out exactly how excitotoxic things we take are

Taurine is an NMDA antagonist, so yes it is. I will see how this effects the usefulness of DAA

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
Yea I have heard of that book "Taste that kills"

The biggest thing is figuring out exactly how excitotoxic things we take are

Taurine is an NMDA antagonist, so yes it is. I will see how this effects the usefulness of DAA
You obviously know more about this stuff than I do :) I just read stuff and try to remember the important parts.. I really have no clue..
Maybe when I have my bachelor of IT sciences degree I should start to study bio-chemistry or something :eek:

purebred

DAA and L-Glutamine (and probably some others supps) apparently work as excitotoxins. This worries me.
Are there any supps I should take or things I should do to prevent damage?? Or am I being overly anxious here?
You should be more worried about the aspartame your protein powder(s) and other supplements are being sweetened with if you're concerned with the hazards of excitotoxins :)

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
You should be more worried about the aspartame your protein powder(s) and other supplements are being sweetened with if you're concerned with the hazards of excitotoxins :)
I already avoid artificial sweeteners, so thats a bit of luck for me..
Is there a list of excitotoxic food substances somewhere maybe?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I already avoid artificial sweeteners, so thats a bit of luck for me..
Is there a list of excitotoxic food substances somewhere maybe?
That book that your article has a list I believe

Funny thing about sweeteners like aspartame, that stuff is the first thing ever where after I used it (via coke zero) I was like WHOA...thats not a good feeling.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
That book that your article has a list I believe

Funny thing about sweeteners like aspartame, that stuff is the first thing ever where after I used it (via coke zero) I was like WHOA...thats not a good feeling.
Yet, multi-gram doses of a NMDA agonist elicit no effect? No, PKU, right?

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
Yet, multi-gram doses of a NMDA agonist elicit no effect? No, PKU, right?
This is getting to technical for me I think..
Is PKU Phenylketonuria?
Can I assume that when I avoid aspartame and eat healthy I can use reasonable amounts of glutamine and DAA without a (big) risk of excitotoxin induced brain damage??
Thanks!

HurtinPounds

Awards
What is this, 1999? What protein powder carries aspartame these days?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Look into memantine (nameda) if you're overly concerned about it. Topical magnesium oil as well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, not using any of them at the moment, but I'm worried about long term effects..
I suppose you should stop eating proteins too then, because a 16 oz steak has almost 10g of glutamic acid

Glutamic Acid is familiar if one turns over their container of Protein powder and sees "glutamic acid". Why not glutamine instead of glutamic acid? "The reason is that the acid hydrolysis stage of the analysis converts the glutamine into glutamic acid, releasing ammonia. Thus the glutamic acid level actually represents the combined levels of glutamine and glutamic acid." (ref). One can figure out the amount of glutamine in the glutamic acid content fairly easy. In animal proteins such as whey, casein, milk, and egg proteins 50% is actually glutamine. In plant proteins such as soy, 80% is glutamine.
plus glutamic acid + glutamine freely convert to each other in the body.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
I believe anything that would prevent DAA from acting as excitotoxin would also prevent it from working
Maybe if it was conjugated with something that didn't let it cross the BBB but still could enhance sTAR in the testes?

purebred

What is this, 1999? What protein powder carries aspartame these days?
Oh, you're right. It's just every other product on the market. If it's not Aspartame/whatever brand name they try to hide it under then it would be sucralose/Splenda which is clearly no better.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recall reading a study that showed incredibly low doses of creatine monohydrate + nicotine were used to repair upwards of 90% of all cell ecitotoxin issues in reference to nmda activation(srs).

ill try to find it

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recall reading a study that showed incredibly low doses of creatine monohydrate + nicotine were used to repair upwards of 90% of all cell ecitotoxin issues in reference to nmda activation(srs).

ill try to find it
Funny how many positive uses nicotene has...feel like I find something new and good about it every month

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
nicotinic acid really, which comes from nicotene.

Its funny that smoking is partially good for you ;)

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I doubt that nicotine is anywhear near as bad for you as cigarettes. I smoke a descent amount of weed, but I would never smoke a weed cigarette. I even try to avoid doobies because of the paper.

tWack

tWack

Awards
  • Established
I doubt that nicotine is anywhear near as bad for you as cigarettes. I smoke a descent amount of weed, but I would never smoke a weed cigarette. I even try to avoid doobies because of the paper.
The best choice would be to use a vaporizer.. as burning weed and inhaling the smoke still causes cancer, and probably contains a lot of other toxic chemicals aswell..