Eggs before bed

austinfrench5

Awards
Hey guys, what do you think about eating an omlet before bed. is this a good prebed meal. i drink a casein shake a lot of the time before bed but sometimes like to mix it up. any advice on whether an omlet is an ok substitute would be appreciated.

austinfrench5

Awards
and i just realized that i put this in the supplement section not the diet. sorry about that guys

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
I would do tuna before bed eat a whole can it has a high amount of protein and vertually no carbs
The tuna I get has 26g protein full can vs the eggs I get has like 4g protein per egg

hugerobb

hugerobb

Awards
the tuna is the best way too go and I sometimes do the tuna and cottage cheese at the same time

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eggs are nature's perfect protein; there's not a meal that you can't eat them. Some eggs, bacon, and salsa is a great pre-bed meal.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Eggs are nature's perfect protein; there's not a meal that you can't eat them. Some eggs, bacon, and salsa is a great pre-bed meal.
i dont think anyone is denying that , its the difference in the amount of protein thats available in each of the alternatives, cottage cheese and tuna.

to get 26 g of protein from eggs , you need to eat about 4

Food
Grams of protein per serving
Tuna (3 ounces) 22
Hamburger (3 ounces) 21
Chicken (3 ounces) 21
Shrimp (3 ounces) 18
Tempeh (½ cup) 15
Yogurt (1 cup) 11
Tofu (½ cup) 9
Lentils, cooked (½ cup) 9
Cow's milk (1 cup) 8
Peanut butter (2 tbsp) 8
Kidney beans, cooked (½ cup) 8
Cheese (1 ounce) 7
Egg, cooked (3 ounces) 7
Soy milk (1 cup) 6
Hummus (1/3 cup) 6
Miso (2 tbsp) 4
Quinoa (½ cup) 4
Bulgur, kasha, oats, cooked (½ cup) 3

cholestrol in an egg is 210 mg THere is an argument put forward that an egg has its own neutraliser to negate the effect of cholestrol but i suggest doing more research on that before consuming lots of eggs.egg whites are free from cholestrol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cholestrol in an egg is 210 mg THere is an argument put forward that an egg has its own neutraliser to negate the effect of cholestrol but i suggest doing more research on that before consuming lots of eggs.egg whites are free from cholestrol
dietary cholesterol is basically irrelevant to your serum cholesterol levels, its the saturated fats that are more of an issue :)

biopole

Awards
Eggs including the yolks would be a great choice. Pick up the extra large eggs and you will be getting 8g's of protein per egg with 5 g's of fat. Tuna out of a can contains extreme levels of mercury.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
Most people who are lifting heavy tend to ingest around their body weight in protein a day eggs are not the best source of protein but there is a good bit of leucine in eggs wich could jack protein synthesis, so yeah spike some tuna with about 3 eggs and your good to go

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Eggs are fine as a prebed meal just make sure your eating the right amount to meet your protein needs. i happen to like the fact that you need a bunch of whites to get a nice amount of protein, it lets me have a bigger meal and i feel fuller.

I'd do 6-8 egg whites with broccoli and salsa (yes my gf hates this) prebed. if I'm watching my salt i'll just add fresh diced tomato and onion to the inside of my eggwhite/brocc omelette.

morry

morry

Awards
  • Established
There are a lot of igood deas up there, but here's my take. If you are going to do just egg whites, you still need something else in there. Salsa and broc is a good option (or eliminate the sodium from the salse if cutting as suggested). Straight Tuna is not a good idea even if you are overweight, you don't want your body to go into ketosis as that is indicative of a negative nitrogen balance where no muscle can be built and defeats the whole purpose of eating protein before bed. It is high in mecury (that's why it is siggeested to limit your intake to 2 times a week at most) and high in sodium (although you can get low sodium and run in through a strainer). Your body will do this if all you eat is protein and you will not build muscle.
I do the same exact thing you do (casein normally) and I switch it up with eggs every once in a while as a end of day treat. I usually use 2 whole eggs and then 1 cup of eggs whites giving me around 25-30 grams of quality protien and the necessary fat to make sure my body has other things to burn instead of the protein. It is an increased metobolic process to burn protein over fat, so erroring on the side of caution you could cut it down to one egg, but if you run out of fuel, you will start to metabolize the protein and give up the positive nitrogen balance you need to create muscle.
A good gauge for this is how hungry you wake up. I know if I wake up at 3am to eat (which I will do if I am hungry), then I prob skimped on the scoop of casien or if it was eggs, I didn't put enough in there. It is important to listen to your body, it will tell all and the little bit of fat you will get from the egg yolk will not add any fat to you, it will just make sure you are using the protien for building muscle as intended.

On a final note, make sure you are mixing you casein with some sort of fuel. I love pineapple juice because it tastes great and is natural fructose. I'm very active so my body needs the liver glycogen replinished often and this works great. Plus, your body will use that glycogen before it will let you enter ketosis, so it is a good bet to get the most use out of your expensive casien.

Just my two cents

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most people who are lifting heavy tend to ingest around their body weight in protein a day eggs are not the best source of protein but there is a good bit of leucine in eggs wich could jack protein synthesis, so yeah spike some tuna with about 3 eggs and your good to go
Eggs have and always be a BBing staple because they're cheap, easy, and the best source of whole food protein. Nobody is saying to eat an egg just like nobody is saying to eat an ounce of chicken, fish, steak, etc.

Primal2

Primal2

Awards
imo, you guys think to much into it. just choose one you like and just eat it. you will be fine. :) sometimes you guys talk like you are competing in a body building competition next week or some thing. just make smart food choices and everything will be perfectly fine.

SupermanStrng

Banned
Awards
Hey guys, what do you think about eating an omlet before bed. is this a good prebed meal. i drink a casein shake a lot of the time before bed but sometimes like to mix it up. any advice on whether an omlet is an ok substitute would be appreciated.
Honestly its shown MPS (muscle protein synthesis) is greatest at night during bed.

Why not just include some MAP by Primordial Performance.

Increase anabolism, and recovery.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I eat eggs before bed every night. I know plenty of people who do the same, those who are bodybuilders and those just trying to stay in shape. I also enjoy cottage cheese, string cheese, tuna, etc. There is no perfect option, eat what works for you.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Some other thread said something about mercury in tuna that comes in a can and not to eat it more than 2 times a week. This true?

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Some other thread said something about mercury in tuna that comes in a can and not to eat it more than 2 times a week. This true?
Healthy adults should be fine consuming small amounts of mercury. If you are concerned about mercury in tuna I suggest you switch to another fish. I really enjoy Alaskin Sockeye Salmon in the can. Salmon is known to be low in mercury.

Here is something I came across.

LOWEST MERCURY
Eat 2-3 servings a week (pregnant women and small children should not eat more than 12 ounces (2 servings):

* Anchovies
* Catfish
* Clam
* Crab
* Crawfish
* Flounder
* Haddock
* Herring
* Mackerel
* Mullet
* Oyster
* Perch
* Pollock
* Salmon
* Sardine
* Scallop
* Shrimp
* Sole
* Squid
* Tilapia
* Trout
* Whitefish

MODERATE MERCURY
Eat six servings or fewer per month (pregnant women and small children should avoid these):

* Bass
* Carp
* Cod
* Halibut
* Lobster
* Mahi Mahi
* Monkfish
* Perch
* Snapper
* Tuna (Canned Chunk light)

HIGH MERCURY
Eat three servings or less per month (pregnant women and small children should avoid these):

* Bluefish
* Grouper
* Sea Bass
* Tuna (Canned Albacore, Yellowfin)

HIGHEST MERCURY
Avoid eating (everyone):

* Marlin
* Orange Roughy
* Shark
* Swordfish
* Tilefish
* Tuna (Ahi)

Sources:

Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Mercury Levels in Commercial Fish and Shellfish

Food and Drug Administration (FDA). What You Need to Know About Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

National Resource Defense Council. Mecury Contamination in Fish.

Centers for Disease Control. Public Health Statement for Mercury. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I would do tuna before bed eat a whole can it has a high amount of protein and vertually no carbs
The tuna I get has 26g protein full can vs the eggs I get has like 4g protein per egg
Not everyone, such as myself, enjoy the taste of plain old tuna (or any fish for that matter). Personally, eating Tuna straight out of a can would make me vomit.

dietary cholesterol is basically irrelevant to your serum cholesterol levels, its the saturated fats that are more of an issue :)
Word....

Umm....absolutely WRONG. Egg protein is the most bio-available protein you can eat.

Honestly its shown MPS (muscle protein synthesis) is greatest at night during bed.

Why not just include some MAP by Primordial Performance.

Increase anabolism, and recovery.
MAP, while perfect for this situation, is EXPENSIVE!!!

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
i drink 8-12 raw eggs aday always take 4 atleast prebed

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5 eggs 1 whole 3 tbsp powerbutter. Thats like 40gms protein 18gms fat, omegas, and all that good stuff.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see no problem with it at all; just add some fats to it regardless of if your dieting or not. If your using yolks your good, if not then throw some cheddar cheese or something of that nature.

Pipes

Awards
  • Established
Yeah.. right.. took one look at that page and realized its for college folks. lol. I don't think Rocky read that either.. but he's still huge.

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
4 whole eggs scrambled with a couple Fresno Chili's and half a bell pepper (all diced, seeds left in mix), little bit of monterey cheddar to taste. delicious.

xx Zues xx

xx Zues xx

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't be further from the truth, laughable comment.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Mmmmmm, nothing wrong with an omelet before bed! You can have some yolk if you'd like and the spinach or other veggies you put in there will clean ourt your system, so you're ready to 'go' in the morning. The fats will feed your muscle all night by slowing the emptying rate.

Pharoe

Pharoe

Awards
Not a bad Idea honestly, and like the guys say tuna is also good. A few years back I would set my alarm to wake up and eat or down a protein shake throughout the night.

Protein is so important in our diets but people fail to get their protein from numerous healthy sources. Most rely just on the shake which is not going to fully benifit. So you are right, mix it up but stay lean with your choice of cusines.

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't be further from the truth, laughable comment.
im not talking about the properties of the protein in eggs itself, im talking about when trying to add up gram by gram of protein in a daily diet, there are smaller amounts of food with higher protein counts
that was my bag on that, personally i eat alotttt of eggs and do not count them out of my diet but
and this is my personal opinion
i dont like to ingest carbs late in the night bc i am really sensitive and get energy from almost anything i eat
therefor, im up for an extra 3 or so hours then i intend

jontrainer

Awards
10 egg whites and 1 yolk. Wake up lean and solid! Token piece of turkey bacon on the side.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
10 egg whites and 1 yolk. Wake up lean and solid! Token piece of turkey bacon on the side.
Absolutely, turkey bacon is an on/off staple for me over many years... Butterball seems to be the best combination of protein-to-fat and taste.

Pharoe

Pharoe

Awards
10 egg whites, 1whole, cup of oatmeal, 1 bagel, 32oz water , 16 oz of grape juice, Animal pak, Shot of tequila for breakfast

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
10 egg whites, 1whole, cup of oatmeal, 1 bagel, 32oz water , 16 oz of grape juice, Animal pak, Shot of tequila for breakfast
What type of Testosterone spike and duration of peak serum concentration are you seeing from the tequila shot?

;)

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mixing it up between the 2 is good. I say as long as your enjoying either one, your doin your body a favor. If you dont mind tuna on some nights, go with the tuna. Im not goin to argue wich one is the best, its the fact that your applying such good practice of excercise nutrition that counts.

To boost the anabolism of your meal, add eaa's, or liver tabs. That is if your worried about ingesting a maximum protein packed meal.