Carnitine & Lactic Acid

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.09%

Carnitine & Lactic Acid

Hey all. Here's some interesting info on carnitine supplementation.

In 1990, L. Vecchiet and coworkers published their research findings on the influence of L-carnitine on maximal physical exercise in the European Journal of Applied Physiology. These researchers conducted a study using healthy men, aged twenty-two to thirty years, with similar lifestyles and physical conditioning. Experimental subjects took 2 g of L-carnitine ninety minutes before taking exercise tests. The researchers measured exercise performance and the amount of oxygen taken in of subjects exercising on a stationary cycle machine. Beneficial effects of the single dose of carnitine were immediately detected. An increase in power output was observed, as well as an increase in total work performed. Blood concentrations of lactic acid were also reduced when the subjects took the dosage of 2 g of L-carnitine before exercise sessions.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Interesting, zombie whats your choice in l-carnitine products? I searched and seems like every company has one.
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.09%

Quote Originally Posted by HATEFULone View Post
    Interesting, zombie whats your choice in l-carnitine products? I searched and seems like every company has one.
    I've been using GPLC. Great stuff, it boosts my energy which is great for the gym. I load up on it while I'm working and hit the gym when I get off. GPLC also has been helping me tone up.
    •   

4. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have been using PreMax from Primordial lately as my preworkout. I am on cycle and want peak performance without a stim, and the GPLC gives me the best pumps I had ever had. Ive used the bulk GPLC as well, it is just awesome.

Definitely recommend people use bulk GPLC, and to take it to the next level, it is always nice to have a tub or Premax for the demanding workouts
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.55%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I guess my most 'true to life' experience with the results presented in this abstract were when I was taking a product that contained ALCAR and Alpha Lipoic Acid about 60-90 minutes before cardio. I noticed the lactic acid buffering the most. It felt like I could literally run all night. I would take usually between 2 and 4 tabs with would yield 1-2 grams of carnitine.

Having said that I am looking forward to jumping back on a regular carnitine here in the near future.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.39%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Nice post OP, been using carnitines for a bit now and don't plan to ever stop.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.89%

I haven't done a ton of research so maybe you guys can help, but isn't lactic acid a by product of anaerobic exericse, which is also to say a neccessary evil to build muscle? You can tone muscles with aerobic exercise, but I thought the body only rebuilds the muscle after it is broken down in an anaerobic environment, so wouldn't this stuff help the endurance athlete but hurt the body builder?
    I use a 3 day split and if DOMS becomes a problem, I merely add 20 minutes of running right after my workout (but there is a protein shake with sucrose/dextrose 2.5:1 in there). The increased blood flow really helps move the acid around IMO and I am not nearly, if at all, sore. Point being, no pain, no gain, right?
    I like being sore, reminds me I'm training harder than they guy walking around not sore.
    Am I off base here? Help.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.39%

Quote Originally Posted by morry View Post
    I haven't done a ton of research so maybe you guys can help, but isn't lactic acid a by product of anaerobic exericse, which is also to say a neccessary evil to build muscle? You can tone muscles with aerobic exercise, but I thought the body only rebuilds the muscle after it is broken down in an anaerobic environment, so wouldn't this stuff help the endurance athlete but hurt the body builder?
    I use a 3 day split and if DOMS becomes a problem, I merely add 20 minutes of running right after my workout (but there is a protein shake with sucrose/dextrose 2.5:1 in there). The increased blood flow really helps move the acid around IMO and I am not nearly, if at all, sore. Point being, no pain, no gain, right?
    I like being sore, reminds me I'm training harder than they guy walking around not sore.
    Am I off base here? Help.
    from the light reading i've done, lactic acid= bad.
  9. Handsome and intelligent
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.57%

Not true, lactic acid is misunderstood. For years it was assumed that it was the reason for "the burn" and even for DOMS, but both of these have been dispelled. Lactic acid is both a fuel substrate during anaerobic respiration when oxygen is not present (so fatty acids cannot be utilized for fuel) and also acts a cellular buffer, helping to stabilize sodium-potassium channels that can get damaged during resistance exercise.

I am no expert in carnitine metabolism but i guess any cellular build up may have an effect on the channel stability, or help promote fat as use for a fuel meaning less lactic acid would then build up.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.89%

It feels bad, you are right, but it isn't "bad" in the general sense. It is a byproduct as I said. I did a little digging and found some stuff that said the sodium carbonate can be a buffer for the PH. Lactic acid converts to lactate which is the salt form of the acid with a free H+ running around now in relation to the amount of lactic acid coverted. Some seeps into the blood stream and can be used in the liver to resythisize ATP. The H+ obviously creates an acidic environment which not alleviated will lead to soreness and premature muscle fatigue. Although carbonate can act systemetically (via the blood stream), it can't locally (inside the cell). Some people react different to supplementing with sodium carbonate and I've never tried it but this aticle answered all those questions. You can lift heavy and supplement with sodium carbonate to help the soreness.
    Funny thing is the supplement you mentioned doesn't have any sodium carbonate in it. How does it help?

That article is found at
    www[dot]bodybuilding[dot]com/fun/issa77[dot]htm
    Good read....
  11. Handsome and intelligent
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.57%

Quote Originally Posted by morry View Post
    It feels bad, you are right, but it isn't "bad" in the general sense. It is a byproduct as I said. I did a little digging and found some stuff that said the sodium carbonate can be a buffer for the PH. Lactic acid converts to lactate which is the salt form of the acid with a free H+ running around now in relation to the amount of lactic acid coverted. Some seeps into the blood stream and can be used in the liver to resythisize ATP. The H+ obviously creates an acidic environment which not alleviated will lead to soreness and premature muscle fatigue. Although carbonate can act systemetically (via the blood stream), it can't locally (inside the cell). Some people react different to supplementing with sodium carbonate and I've never tried it but this aticle answered all those questions. You can lift heavy and supplement with sodium carbonate to help the soreness.
    Funny thing is the supplement you mentioned doesn't have any sodium carbonate in it. How does it help?

That article is found at
    www[dot]bodybuilding[dot]com/fun/issa77[dot]htm
    Good read....
    Brand new study released but two days ago on sodium bicarb and sprint performance: https://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DO...s-0030-1261943

A lot of people have gastric issues with it though.
    The Driven Blog
    Follow DS on Facebook and Twitter!

Craze™ is NOW AVAILABLE!
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Lactic acid can aid somewhat in bringing some of the nutrients one needs post workout, granted the subject takes in protein and carbs, and some strength coaches use lactic acid tolerance training to develop an athletes ability to buffer the lactic acid and mentally deal with the build up. Lactic acid itself isn't bad, high blood levels of lactate is another story and what most studies usually refer to when lactic acid is searched. I've tried gplc solo before, gave some increased muscular endurance and some great pumps.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.69%

I find 1g ALCAR pre-WO do me nice. for lactic acid not sure, i like the burn so w/e

Similar Forum Threads

1. PCT Lethargy Lactic Acid
    By kom01 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
  2. anything for lactic acid?
    By Rugger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
  3. Lactic acid question...
    By RedwolfWV in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 22