I3C and AR expression

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Since I3C inhibits AR expression it confuses me why it is use as an AI in so many natural test boosters. It appears to be counter productive.

Indole-3-carbinol inhibition of androgen receptor expression and downregulation of androgen responsiveness in human prostate cancer cells.
Hsu JC, Zhang J, Dev A, Wing A, Bjeldanes LF, Firestone GL.

Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, The University of California at Berkeley, CA 94720, USA.

Abstract
Indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a naturally occurring compound found in vegetables of the Brassica genus, such as broccoli and cabbage, is a promising anticancer agent previously shown to induce a G(1) cell-cycle arrest in the cells of human lymph node carcinoma of prostate (LNCaP) through regulation of specific G(1)-acting cell-cycle components. Since the androgen receptor (AR) mediates proliferation and differentiation in the prostate and is expressed in nearly all human prostate cancers, the effects of I3C on AR expression and function were examined in LNCaP cells. Immunoblot and quantitative RT-PCR assays revealed that I3C inhibited the expression of AR protein and mRNA levels within 12 h of indole treatment. I3C downregulated the reporter activity of LNCaP cells transiently transfected with an AR promoter-luciferase plasmid, demonstrating that a unique response to I3C is the inhibition of AR promoter activity. In contrast to I3C, the natural I3C dimerization product 3,3'-diindolylmethane, which acts as an androgen antagonist, had no effect on AR expression. To determine the functional significance of the I3C-inhibited expression of AR, the AR-regulated prostate specific antigen (PSA) was utilized as a downstream indicator. I3C downregulated the expression of PSA transcripts and protein levels and inhibited PSA promoter activity, as well as that of a minimal androgen responsive element containing reporter plasmid. Expression of exogenous AR prevented the I3C disruption of androgen-induced PSA expression. Taken together, our results demonstrate that I3C represses AR expression and responsiveness in LNCaP cells as a part of its antiproliferative mechanism.

PMID: 15958518 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since I3C inhibits AR expression it confuses me why it is use as an AI in so many natural test boosters. It appears to be counter productive.

Indole-3-carbinol inhibition of androgen receptor expression and downregulation of androgen responsiveness in human prostate cancer cells.

Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, The University of California at Berkeley, CA 94720, USA.

Abstract
Indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a naturally occurring compound found in vegetables of the Brassica genus, such as broccoli and cabbage, is a promising anticancer agent previously shown to induce a G(1) cell-cycle arrest in the cells of human lymph node carcinoma of prostate (LNCaP) through regulation of specific G(1)-acting cell-cycle components. Since the androgen receptor (AR) mediates proliferation and differentiation in the prostate and is expressed in nearly all human prostate cancers, the effects of I3C on AR expression and function were examined in LNCaP cells. Immunoblot and quantitative RT-PCR assays revealed that I3C inhibited the expression of AR protein and mRNA levels within 12 h of indole treatment. I3C downregulated the reporter activity of LNCaP cells transiently transfected with an AR promoter-luciferase plasmid, demonstrating that a unique response to I3C is the inhibition of AR promoter activity. In contrast to I3C, the natural I3C dimerization product 3,3'-diindolylmethane, which acts as an androgen antagonist, had no effect on AR expression. To determine the functional significance of the I3C-inhibited expression of AR, the AR-regulated prostate specific antigen (PSA) was utilized as a downstream indicator. I3C downregulated the expression of PSA transcripts and protein levels and inhibited PSA promoter activity, as well as that of a minimal androgen responsive element containing reporter plasmid. Expression of exogenous AR prevented the I3C disruption of androgen-induced PSA expression. Taken together, our results demonstrate that I3C represses AR expression and responsiveness in LNCaP cells as a part of its antiproliferative mechanism.

The downregulation is maybe for the Estrogen expression on T ratio????

T converts to E

Sldge

Super Lab Rat
Awards
  • Established

Abstract

This was done in prostate cancer cells, it would be interesting to see if it happens it healthy tissue outside of the prostate and certainly outside of a petri dish.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This was done in prostate cancer cells, it would be interesting to see if it happens it healthy tissue outside of the prostate and certainly outside of a petri dish.
same is said for raspbrry ketones right.

Well i personally on T boosters that contain i3c, after bout 2 weeks (only a slight increase) then, libido dies off, then picks back up at week 3.5 then i come off it bc i hat that feeling.

and with RK my libido is in the ****ter after a little while on it at 400mg per day.

iForce Dave

iForce Dave

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I doubt it would carry over.

I3C is a great ingredient, thats why it carried over from ReversitolV1 to Reversitol V2.

zombiemuscle

zombiemuscle

Awards
  • Established
I agree, I doubt it would carry over.

I3C is a great ingredient, thats why it carried over from ReversitolV1 to Reversitol V2.
Seriously?? You would read that study and say "I doubt that will carry over". You would ignore what facts we have and trust in guesses? With the evidence of the study there is no reason to ever use i3c as a body builder or athlete besides cancer prevention. Unless maybe you think your body is going to somehow defy science, or u plan to get a positive placebo effect from it. I have read many posts here on AM about guys losing libido while supplementing i3c.

Now let's take a look at it this way. If u read a study saying that compound x disrupted testosterone activity, would u eat this compound x and tell yourself that it's going to promote test activity??