Zinc question

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
I've read that you should take zinc at night, right before bed, on an empty stomach. But...isn't then when we are supposed to get some slow digesting protein in?

So is there a problem with taking zinc with my casein shake right before bed?

foland

Awards
I take 25mg before bed and i ussually have something to eat with it. I cant sleep hungry. I doubt it makes a big defferance but would also like some input from more knowledgeable guys.

MrDeadlift

Awards
Just work on the timing. I usually take Zinc and GABA an 1.5 hour before bedtime and a shake 30 minutes before bedtime. At least geting some Zinc and GABA before the shake.

coldseed

coldseed

Awards
Just work on the timing. I usually take Zinc and GABA an 1.5 hour before bedtime and a shake 30 minutes before bedtime. At least geting some Zinc and GABA before the shake.
Tell me more about GABA.

Also, thanks for the reply about zinc/when to take it.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I try and take my extra zinc 1st thing in the morning. Its really the only time I'm on an empty stomach. I always read that calcium and zinc competed for absorption.

mDeezy

mDeezy

Awards
  • Established
I do it the other way around. Shake an hour or so before bed, ZMA immediately pre-bed.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
There will be absorbtion issues persay if your using something like zinc glycinage or a lowbioavilibity form of zinc, especially with a casein shake, something like zinc citrate or picolinate will greatly enhance the effects of zinc in your bloodstream. I take zinc first thing in the morning and on an empty stomach, I'm really pleased with the Zinc in picolonate form and have had no stomach issues whatsoever, I was using the L-optizinc ( which is methionine bound ) and that tore my stomach up.

There is no benefit IMO taking zinc @night versus taking it in the day, as long as your getting it is what's important.

purebred

Tell me more about GABA.
The good ol' search bar will aid you in your quest, sire.

In any case, I would suppose a good purpose to supplement w/zinc at bedtime would be if you're also taking B-6 and magnesium aka ZMA. I always see labels suggesting use of ZMA on an empty stomach. I just make sure I haven't eaten anything in about an 1-1.5 hrs (max) when I take a supplement that is suggested to be taken on an empty stomach. It's not mandatory nor will it severely impact your gains to not have anything prior to bed but it won't work against you. Cottage cheese protein powder with some liquid peanut butter before bed is far more delectable than pills before bed!:thumbsup:

JoeHT

Awards
GABA 1-hr before bed, ZMA 0.5-hr before bed, Casein 0-hr before bed - perfect combination for me.

MrDeadlift

Awards
I like GABA and did notice a difference when on it and when not. GABA is very debatable and controversial; many claim it does nothing. Some recommend it for its ability to increase hgh (Human Growth Hormones)at night helping you recover and build muscle which is supported by some studies, while others recommend for its relaxing effect ..etc. Overall, GABA is a neurotransmitter and has been proven to have calming and relaxing effect.

From my own experience and experimenting with dosages and timing, GABA has helped me a lot in recovery especially when I take it at night after an intense workout regimen (HIT for example). When I wake up in the morning on GABA I feel more refreshed, more energized and less sore and my muscles in the long run feel fuller versus when I am not on it. I feel it improves my sleep quality as well which is an important factor in muscle repair and recovery. I usually take 3 or 4 pills of 750 mg. On maintenance days I would take 2 pills.
Some recommend to take GABA when you first wake up in the morning on an empty stomach, since your hormones are highest at that time as well. Try it either way and see how you feel.