Which form of magnesium is best?

rchaves

rchaves

Awards
Hey,

I've tried a few different forms of magnesium and am currently taking a generic form of magnesium carbonate (150 mg daily before bed), mostly because it was cheap and available locally. But I thought I'd look into it a bit more and see if there was a preferred form and maybe "upgrade", so I did a big search and read most of the AM threads about magnesium and a bunch of articles on Wikipedia, trying to focus on the questions:

• Is a particular form of magnesium preferred? Why?
  • Does it really matter what form of magnesium you take? Why?
Here's what (little) I learned:

• MAGNESIUM ASPARTATE
    This is the Mg salt of aspartic acid. Some claim it's better than Mg malate. It has a 60% higher bio-availability than Mg oxide, but it's much more expensive. It's the form used in all ZMA proucts.
  • MAGNESIUM CARBONATE (MgCO3)
    The cheap form I'm taking now (150 mg daily before bed). Otherwise known as chalk. 30% bio-availability.
  • CHELATED MAGNESIUM
    For example Mg glycinate or Mg lysinate. Chelated means the magnesium is surrounded by amino acids. They are much better tolerated by the digestive system and have fewer side effects than other forms of Mg. Time-release versions may further reduce the occurrence of diarrhea. (Thanks Wikipedia.)
  • MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE (MgCl2)
    This salt form is used when magnesium is in a cream or gel. High bio-availability. It's also the form in Slow-Mag, a time-release supp that has an enteric coating which is supposedly easier on the GI tract. Also in some Vitamin Waters.
  • MAGNESIUM CITRATE (C6H6O7Mg)
    Commonly used as a laxative. Superior bio-availability (compared to Mg oxide) and buffering effect. One of the most easily absorbed salt forms of Mg. A bit expensive.
  • MAGNESIUM GLUCONATE (MgC12H22O14)
    Mg salt of gluconic acid. May be more bio-available than Mg citrate. May improve physical performance according to a dubious uncited Wikipedia stub.
  • MAGNESIUM GLYCINATE
    Common form of chelated Mg. Less likely to cause diarrhea, so it may be a good choice for people who already have loose stool or had undesired side effects from, e.g., Mg citrate.
  • MAGNESIUM LACTATE
    Mg salt of lactic acid. 99% bio-availability. Also in some Vitamin Waters.
  • MAGNESIUM LEVULINATE (C10H14MgO6)
    Mg salt of levulinic acid.
  • MAGNESIUM LYSINATE
    ?
  • MAGNESIUM MALATE (C4H4MgO5)
    Another common form, this is the Mg salt of malic acid.
  • MAGNESIUM OROTATE (C10H6MgN4O8)
    Mg salt of orotic acid. Recommended by some for endurance athletes. According to one AM member, in the orotate form, the Mg supposedly reaches the brain much easier and promotes a more laid-back attitude (WTF?). The quacky unreferenced Wikipedia stub lists all kinds of potential heart benefits.
  • MAGNESIUM OXIDE (MgO)
    Perhaps the most common form, Mg oxide is also one of the cheapest, but not as well absorbed as other forms. It's not typically recommended due to poor absorption and bio-availability (e.g. 4%; 60% less than Mg aspartate). However, taking it with a meal can significantly help absorption. Too much can make your stool soft though. For example, in Animal Pak and many other multi-mineral supps because it's relatively dense/compact.
  • MAGNESIUM PIDOLATE (C10H12N2MgO6)
    Mg salt of pidolic acid.
  • MAGNESIUM SUCCINATE
    The Mg salt of succinic acid.
  • MAGNESIUM SULFATE (MgSO4)
    This form of Mg is found in epsom salts, which are used for baths. These are apparently really good for muscle recovery. If only I had a bathtub.... However, the Mg in epsom salts is not well absorbed (e.g. compared to Mg chloride) and is excreted faster (?).
  • MAGNESIUM TAURATE
    "Body rush of relaxation" experienced after taking it "so you know it's being absorbed" according at one AM poster.
So... way more forms than I thought. But it all comes down to how much money you're willing to spend, how well the Mg is absorbed, and if it doesn't make you poop too much. Great.

Unfortunately, it's still not at all clear to me which form I should take!

Any more information, supp recommendations, and corrections to the summary above would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Cheers!

purebred

Subbed. I hear this question @ work many a times and would to know how to respond if it were ever asked to me. Quite frankly, my colleague's opinions tend to be skewed and results of miseducation or broscience.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Subbed. I'm interested in seeing where this is going

Vegking

Awards
google magnesium oil, this may be the best form or most usable form. I just bought a bottle, but I'm only on day 2 so no real good feedback yet. Sounds promising though. Thoughts?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
google magnesium oil, this may be the best form or most usable form. I just bought a bottle, but I'm only on day 2 so no real good feedback yet. Sounds promising though. Thoughts?
Any irritation on the skin and how long does it take to dry/absorb?

rchaves

rchaves

Awards
Sounds a bit hokey to me, to be honest. Most of the sites I found were hailing it as some kind of miracle drug, but maybe I didn't find the good ones. Or maybe the increased absorption really does make a big difference? Not sure if I want to deal with a transdermal "just" for Mg though.

Still, very interested in hearing how it goes for you! What supp are you using exactly?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Vegking

Awards
Crossking, as someone who skin is very sensitive and has had trouble with transdermals in the past, so far no problems.

rchaves, I can certainly understand you or anyone else thinking it is hoakey. The jury is still out. On the other side of the coin, the pharm. and health care industry doesn't want stuff like this out there(if it actually works) , it is bad for business. It wasn't that much money so I figured what the heck and decided to give it a try. The brand I got is Ancient Minerals.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Citrate works fine but I seem to sleep and relax even better on the Glycinate/Lysinate combo that Dr's Best sells.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I use mag citrate. Don't be worried about the laxative thing, that is only with doses in the mutli-gram region (6-7g or so).

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The cool thing about elemental magnesium is you can bind random stuff (usually acids) to it. The key thing you have to remember is to buy a quality magnesium supplement that doesn't use inorganic magnesium salts (which you'll never really absorb). This is where quality comes into play..

It comes down to:

Magnesium Orotate (Magneisum + Orotic Acid) -- Magnesium and orotic acid exert complementary effects on the biosynthesis of pyrimidine nucleotides, supporting the heart's ability to endure and recover from chronic and acute stressors through the maintenance of normal glycogen stores, protein synthesis, ATP levels, and contractile function. Research supports the ability of true magnesium orotate to support cardiac function.

(Studies for Orotate/Orotic Acid)
Stepura OB, Tomaeva FE, Zvereva TV. Orotic acid as a metabolic agent. Vestn Ross Akad Med Nauk. 2002; (2): 39-41.

Geiss KR, Stergiou N, Jester, Neuenfeld HU, Jester HG. Effects of magnesium orotate on exercise tolerance in patients with coronary heart disease. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 1998 Sep; 12 Suppl 2:153-6.

Gaita D, Branea I, Dragulescu SI, et al. Benefit of treatment with magnesium orotate in patients with chronic heart failure in early postoperative period after coronary artery by-pass grafting. Gavan N. Hjertforum. 2001 Aug; 14(3): 78.

Nieper HA. Capillarographic criteria on the effect of magnesium orotate, EPL substances and clofibrate on the elasticity of blood vessels. Agressologie. 1974; 15(1): 73-7.

Rosenfeldt F, Miller F, Nagley P, et al. Response of the senescent heart to stress: clinical therapeutic strategies and quest for mitochondrial predictors of biological age. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Jun; 1019:78-84.

Magnesium Aspartate is also good stuff, as it helps with neuromuscular fatigue.

(Studies for Aspartate)
Hicks JT. Treatment of fatigue in general practice: a double blind study. Clin Med. 1964 Jan; 71(1): 85-90.

Formica PE. The housewife syndrome. Treatment with the potassium and magnesium salts of aspartic acid. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 1962 Mar; 4: 98-106.

Shaw DL, Chesney MA, Agersborg HP. Management of fatigue: a physiologic approach. Am J Med Sci. 1962 Jun; 243: 758-69.

Nagle FJ, Balke B, Ganslen RV, Davis AW. The mitigation of physical fatigue with "Spartase". FAA Office of Aviation Medicine Reports. Rep Civ Aeromed Res Inst US. 1963 Jul;26:1-10.
Magnesium Taurate combines the mineral magnesium with the amino acid taurine. Magnesium and taurine each regulate the flow of ions across cellular membranes, which supports membrane stability and the normal electrical activity and functioning of the brain, blood vessels, and heart.

Magnesium Citrate is (unfortunately) one of the worst forms (but it is often the cheapest!)..

purebred

Citrate works fine but I seem to sleep and relax even better on the Glycinate/Lysinate combo that Dr's Best sells.
I'll have to look into this. I currently have Doctor's Best's Best Tryptophan which I can't complain about, really. I am always looking for a nice addition to my sleep stack.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
My daughter takes a "triple" blend of magnesium oxide (350mg), citrate (40mg) and aspartate (10mg). She's a swimmer and this seems to be helping her.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
the magnesium oil arrives tomorrow -first time use -so it will be interesting to see if i get any benefit. Before ive used mag oxide which i understand now is the poorest form, so the oil carnt do any worse for absorbtion .However lets not forget magnesium is in food and you can always structure your diet to eat items which have high mag content

UKStrength

Very interested in the this, especially with regards to the neuromuscular fatigue benefits as my training tends to be high in volume most of the time and I'm always concerned this is a limiting factor in my performance.

broons

Awards
  • Established
Citrate is near the top as far as absorption, while oxide is near the bottom. Malate is good too but I believe is more susceptible to giving stomach irritatiom aka superdumps. I don't know much on the other forms.

broons

Awards
  • Established
There is also a product out called Natural Calm which is a water soluble magnesium. Not sure if its any good but of course its hailed as a cure for pretty much any ailment

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Ive been taking oxide for years. Should I just throw out my last bottle? Is it completely useless?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Ive been taking oxide for years. Should I just throw out my last bottle? Is it completely useless?
id look for alternatives .check out the version in zma also look at the post by sluggy

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take a time released gel defused mag. MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE I think is what it is but all I know is I have no GI discomforts.

broons

Awards
  • Established
I just read an abstract about magnesium after reading this thread and the conclusion was that gluconate had the highest bioavailabilty of the forms tested. And now I can't find the abstract.

purebred

I just read an abstract about magnesium after reading this thread and the conclusion was that gluconate had the highest bioavailabilty of the forms tested. And now I can't find the abstract.
You're a winner LOL

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
Believe me it's not hoakey by any means......From what I posted in another thread in regards to magnesium oil i.e. : what supplements have had the most profound effect for you.

The benefit of magnesium oil is that it increases DHEA levels big time and is an overall hormone optimizer, magnesium is absorbed through the skin and underlying fatty tissues of the body it sets off many chain reactions, one of which ends in the production of DHEA.

Oral forms of magnesium do not increase DHEA levels.

The most profound thing I've noticed with Magnesium Oil is how much leaner I am as well as my cortisol levels/adrenal fatigue drastically reduced....as well as stressed managed way easier.

Definitely a staple and I will keep on using it.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Believe me it's not hoakey by any means......From what I posted in another thread in regards to magnesium oil i.e. : what supplements have had the most profound effect for you.

The benefit of magnesium oil is that it increases DHEA levels big time and is an overall hormone optimizer, magnesium is absorbed through the skin and underlying fatty tissues of the body it sets off many chain reactions, one of which ends in the production of DHEA.

Oral forms of magnesium do not increase DHEA levels.

The most profound thing I've noticed with Magnesium Oil is how much leaner I am as well as my cortisol levels/adrenal fatigue drastically reduced....as well as stressed managed way easier.

Definitely a staple and I will keep on using it.
Ive been looking for a product request for Nutra, and I think this is it!

Do you use the stuff that is marketed as skin care?

Vegking

Awards
yeah, Ancient Minerals is what I started using too. How long before you started to notice any effects?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
on my 2nd day of mag oil so its probably too early to tell , however no skin irritation after spraying and recovery after the gym seemed to be better. Ill have to see if thats consistant.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know of a health food store where I can find it?

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
yeah, Ancient Minerals is what I started using too. How long before you started to notice any effects?
You should notice the calming effects of the Magnesium right away...the other effects pending on they bodytype/endocrine system might take a couple of weeks. It just worked well for me, I've been dealing with alot of stress lately and not to mention the dependancy of stims and the Magnesium oil has been very beneficial to me. You should notice less cravings for sweets and bad foods as well as a leaning out effect....I conclude that this is might be from the raise of your bodies own DHEA levels.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
MAGNESIUM TAURATE is King. It's the only one that I can actually "Feel". What I experience from it is a immediate decrease of pressure in my chest. My heart feels like it beats with less effort. Overall relaxation really. Citrate will cause relaxation that gradually comes over you but Taurate Hits you. This reminds me, I need to get some.

chaser103

Awards
the magnesium oil arrives tomorrow -first time use -so it will be interesting to see if i get any benefit. Before ive used mag oxide which i understand now is the poorest form, so the oil carnt do any worse for absorbtion .However lets not forget magnesium is in food and you can always structure your diet to eat items which have high mag content
How much did you pay for your magnesium oil...TRYING TO COMPARE PRICES.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
How much did you pay for your magnesium oil...TRYING TO COMPARE PRICES.
i paid just under £13 and provides 800 sprays.

10 sprays is equivalent to 150 mg of magnesium ie10 sprays each time you use it.300 mg per day
you can use it morning and night or before and after training

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
MAGNESIUM TAURATE is King. It's the only one that I can actually "Feel". What I experience from it is a immediate decrease of pressure in my chest. My heart feels like it beats with less effort. Overall relaxation really. Citrate will cause relaxation that gradually comes over you but Taurate Hits you. This reminds me, I need to get some.
The reviews of Magnesium-Taurate on line are very positive. I may have to give this a shot.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
just wondered how this will affect training . i guess timing of this is important -no good taking it before training as you need to feel ready to go and not relaxed- just my view.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
just wondered how this will affect training . i guess timing of this is important -no good taking it before training as you need to feel ready to go and not relaxed- just my view.
Magnesium is a essential nutrient for muscle contraction and don't forget the heart is a muscle. Taking this before workout can increase resistance performance and definetly will increase cardiovascular performance. I personally have noticed a significant difference on cardiovascular performance more then anything.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Magnesium is a essential nutrient for muscle contraction and don't forget the heart is a muscle. Taking this before workout can increase resistance performance and definetly will increase cardiovascular performance. I personally have noticed a significant difference on cardiovascular performance more then anything.
i understand now tks

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
wish my ZMA said what kind of magnesium is in it...safe to assume is magnesium carbonate if not otherwise labeled?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
wish my ZMA said what kind of magnesium is in it...safe to assume is magnesium carbonate if not otherwise labeled?
Sounds shady...Your probably getting scammed with magnesium oxide.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Anyone tried a magnesium bath? I would never do it on a daily basis, (who has the time?) but I hear that you can feel it. It sounds like a great way to spend a half hour.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Well I switched from oxide to citrate. I know people PM'ed me about other forms, but I whanted something where I didn't have to spend double digit dollars to get less than the body builders dosage of magnesium. Anyway, the digestive problems Ive been having for a few years have dissapeared after getting off of oxide. So I guess the take home message is: DON'T TAKE OXIDE! Plus, citrate actually exist in nature, unlike some magnesiums.

niCe99

niCe99

Awards
  • Established
need some opinion

i plan to either get some magnesium taurate at 475mg a cap.

how much should i take on a daily basis? i only plan to take this pre-bed

also, another option for a magnesium supplement is AOR MAGNESIUM POTASSIUM ASPARTATE although i am leaning towards the taurate.

thanks

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
just switched to citrate from magnesium oil.Wasnt convinced that i was getting enough through the skin and some irritation syarted to occur.Citrate is said to be more biovable.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
just switched to citrate from magnesium oil.Wasnt convinced that i was getting enough through the skin and some irritation syarted to occur.Citrate is said to be more biovable.
Lets not forget how many servings youd have to use to get the bodybuilders dosage of magnesium.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
need some opinion

i plan to either get some magnesium taurate at 475mg a cap.

how much should i take on a daily basis? i only plan to take this pre-bed

also, another option for a magnesium supplement is AOR MAGNESIUM POTASSIUM ASPARTATE although i am leaning towards the taurate.

thanks
I know ZMA has 450mg. I havn't done to much experimenting, so I just shoot for that from my supplement.

niCe99

niCe99

Awards
  • Established
I know ZMA has 450mg. I havn't done to much experimenting, so I just shoot for that from my supplement.
the 450mg dose is mainly for sleep benefits i would assume?

just out of curiosity, how much of a dose for performance related benefits?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
the 450mg dose is mainly for sleep benefits i would assume?

just out of curiosity, how much of a dose for performance related benefits?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7550259

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/peak32.htm
"The UK recommended intake for magnesium (the daily amount deemed adequate to prevent deficiencies in 97.5% of the UK population) is set at 300mgs for men and 270mgs for women (7). The US has recently revised its figures upwards and now recommends an intake of 400mgs per day for men aged 19-30 and 420 for those over 30; the figures for women under and over 30 are 300 and 310mgs per day respectively(8). However, some investigators believe these should be set even higher at 450-500mg/day (9). "

full text on above link