Should I go Citrulline-Malate or Beta-Alanine?

JoeHT

Awards
I'm trying to decide which of these 2 supplements to try pre-workout for increasing strenght and endurance. What are the pros/cons of each? Any opinions/experiences?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always use beta in bulk and is cheap. Works great and no sides. I def recommend it. As for the other I never tried. Beta is awesome And best stacked with creatine. Killer combo. U won't regret it

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
I always use beta in bulk and is cheap. Works great and no sides. I def recommend it. As for the other I never tried. Beta is awesome And best stacked with creatine. Killer combo. U won't regret it
Beta, no question!

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
beta without a doubt ctruline is just an no precourser like AAKG nothing special i really dont have much experience using it as a standalone but ive used beta and creatine together and feel invincable
so def betaalanine once u understand the science behind it u realize why it works

JoeHT

Awards
beta without a doubt ctruline is just an no precourser like AAKG nothing special i really dont have much experience using it as a standalone but ive used beta and creatine together and feel invincable
so def betaalanine once u understand the science behind it u realize why it works
When you say beta & creatine together, what do you mean? Do you actually take both together pre-wo? or do you take beta pre-wo and creatine post-wo?

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine pre with beta. And also take beta throughout the day in septate doses. Take in about 4g total. Yes together

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Usually is about 1.5-2 grams per serving. So divide 4-5 grams througout the day and one serving with creatine pre workout

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
why not beta, crea, and Cit M

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
As someone who has actually used citruline malate as a stand alone I can say that it's awsome. Havn't tried BA as a standalone. Ive reached a level of strength where I actually take NO to increase healthy blood vessel function and prevent hemmeroids, so CM wins in that category.

manicstudio

Awards
Do this stuff taste like battery acid( like bulk bcaa ) in bulk...if so how do u flavor it or take it...I tried this product call muscle prime and had beta alanine n creatine n it...felt crazy strong n wanted to lift forever when I was on it...but it tasted great so don't know how this stuff taste stand alone....seen citrulline malate suggested on here but never tried it or know nething bout it

JoeHT

Awards
Do this stuff taste like battery acid( like bulk bcaa ) in bulk...if so how do u flavor it or take it...I tried this product call muscle prime and had beta alanine n creatine n it...felt crazy strong n wanted to lift forever when I was on it...but it tasted great so don't know how this stuff taste stand alone....seen citrulline malate suggested on here but never tried it or know nething bout it
I heard that CM tastes sour, but not sure about BA.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've used both extensively, in many different combinations, and ideally you'd use both with creatine. Given the price, there's no reason not to use all 3. But between the two, I prefer CM. It's just awesome for endurance and recovery. Fantastic stuff. CM is very sour, and beta is neutral-ish. Throw them in gatorade or whatever you like, and it'll be a non-issue.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Some research says that BA and taurine both sort of push each other out of the body, but theirs a lot we don't know.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Beta Alanine in bulk powder has absolutely no taste.It is very grainy and does settle after a few seconds, but it has no taste. Also you will most likely get the "tingles" which is just the supplement binding to the receptors. This will subside, and you can safely use it for 8 weeks plus. I highly recommend about 5 grams a day total, spread throughout the day as well as 5-10 grams of creatine (at least 10 to load). The longer you use BA the more you feel it's effects. I have used Citrulline Malate and was pretty disappointed. Not knocking it, just didn't work for me as well as BA.

If you dont wanna go with an unflavored powder, check out Threshold by Optimum Nutrition. It's not quite as cheap, but the fruit fusion flavor is unreal. I myself am not big on flavor and rather save money so I drink my bulks like a champ.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Beta Alanine in bulk powder has absolutely no taste.It is very grainy and does settle after a few seconds, but it has no taste. Also you will most likely get the "tingles" which is just the supplement binding to the receptors. This will subside, and you can safely use it for 8 weeks plus. I highly recommend about 5 grams a day total, spread throughout the day as well as 5-10 grams of creatine (at least 10 to load). The longer you use BA the more you feel it's effects. I have used Citrulline Malate and was pretty disappointed. Not knocking it, just didn't work for me as well as BA.

If you dont wanna go with an unflavored powder, check out Threshold by Optimum Nutrition. It's not quite as cheap, but the fruit fusion flavor is unreal. I myself am not big on flavor and rather save money so I drink my bulks like a champ.
What happens after 8 weeks?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Well in my experience, after the first 4-6 weeks, the tingle started diminishing, but the endurance kept climbing. It really helps during cardio. Ive been on some sort of beta alanine supplement since february and its just become part of my supplement intake on a daily basis.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
the people who were let down by citrulline malate, did u take it in bulk powder or in another product and what dose? for me, it reduces soreness dramatically and gives me better endurance during the workout and best of all... sweet pumps

i like to use about 6 grams of CM, when mixed with EAA's the flavors cancel out and its easier to mask

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Ive used preworkout drinks with and without it, and also used it bulk, i believe my dosage was 4g... maybe it worked, just nothing superior. I always get good pumps i eat carb heavy during the day before my work out and creatine/ba does the trick.

TheU

Awards
I take 3 scoops of Primordial performance Beta Alanine with creapure. before i work out i like it simple and pure. its just str8 Beta alanine so i know i am getting it!!!

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Get PrimaForce's Bulk Alanine Great Price on Nutraplanet!!! Works great!

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Arginine does not increase no production.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
BA tastes completely neutral.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
I dig Citruvol Ultra, it might be underdosed by some but it's potent IMO.
words of wisdom right there!

Citruvol Ultra contains both BA and CM and the addition of our Cordygen aids in the shuttling and will make it feel stronger than you'd expect.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
words of wisdom right there!

Citruvol Ultra contains both BA and CM and the addition of our Cordygen aids in the shuttling and will make it feel stronger than you'd expect.
but the regular citruvol was epic enough!!!! i cant imagine what the new stuff would be like

JoeHT

Awards
Question for those of you taking Beta with Creatine. What do you do during the creatine washout phase? do you still take Beta?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Question for those of you taking Beta with Creatine. What do you do during the creatine washout phase? do you still take Beta?
Ive been taking Beta A for probably 4-5 months now.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
I personally think pretty much all supps should be cycled for best bang for your buck, with the exception of protein, fish oil and mutli-vitamin.

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Both:

3-5g Beta Alanine
5-9g Citrulline Malate

Moar..

4.5g GPLC

wsaucer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Excellent! That's the effect, in a nutshell. More work capacity with less soreness. But I do think it's better suited to crossfit types, or crazy super-setters, etc.
I agree! Citrulline Malate is more of an endurance enhancer. Beta-Alaine does that, but more geared toward the strength/power side.

N00B

N00B

Awards
Citrulline Malate has a sour taste. The BCAA's I take have a sweet taste(sweet tasting supps make me gag for some reason) that I don't like so I mix em together. Keep the "flavor"(raspberry, etc) but make it kinda sour :)

I also do 6g CM, 5g Creatine, and 4g BA pre workout sometimes as well.

futsysmids

Awards
How about using both of the above combined with Creatine?

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if you can do both, if just one beta alanine for sure.

if $ isnt the issue use 1.5scoop hemavol and 3.2g beta alanine/day