any body heard of WHEY PROTEIN SHORTAGE

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
I came across this article and wondered if anybody has heard about it.

Two major soft drink company's (here I'll make it easy, they begin with C and P to narrow it down, that’s all I'll say).....have pretty much shut down the whey protein industry for the rest of 2010. The one company is coming out with a RTD whey product and the other company and their "All Gatorade" drink (think about it) bought a half a billion pounds of whey protein in which they are going to launch their Ready To Drink protein product. Now to do this they bought up all the raw ingredients from all corners or the earth and even existing product out there to tweak into their product. The other company bought a tremendous amount of whey from Asia which in turn is making a huge shortage here in the United States with manufacturers trying to catch up.

This "All Gatorade" drink company acquisition is going to drive whey protein prices skyrocketing northward. The problem is whey is a byproduct of cheese/dairy and the dairies aren’t going to start manufacturing more cheese to get more byproduct=whey protein (and throw away the cheese).

So and am strongly warning you on this....STRONGLY...trust me that this is going to happen. They bought up a tremendous amount of raw ingredients of whey isolate to mix into their sugar water. 500 million pounds....The other company bought up a tremendous amount of whey protein concentrate.

Whats this mean to you?

We are going to try our best to hold the line but what we are being told is whey protein could very well go to 2 - 3 times the price per pound of what it currently is. And I mean this across the board from every single protein powder company out there.....and in any and every area of whey protein being sold out there.

We probably are in the process of getting rid of the recession whey protein pricing right today due to this but we are going to try to hold out on everything else as long as we can. You will see whey protein powder prices rise and rise and rise for the next month after month after month elsewhere in stores, in retails sites....everywhere.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Glad my mom bought chickens for her farm. Eggs!

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,
I source the protein for our company, TruNutrition Sciences.
Yes, whey's price is skyrocketing. Most of the drivers are dead wrong though (at least the ones rumored in that article). I speak with the industry associations on a weekly basis to get a feel for the market to help in our planning.

PepsiCo and Coca-Cola aren't buying US whey. Coke released Super Milky Pulpy in China, but is sourcing Aussie whey for that. PepsiCo's new protein-enriched gatorade in the US is made using Milk Protein Concentrate, not whey.

The real drivers behind whey's price? Chinese infant formula and European/Asian animal feed. You remember the melamine scare a while back? Now its mostly US whey being made into infant formula. Plus Sweet Whey is used in lots of animal (cattle, horse) feed.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think its just a marketing scam.. There is no way that they bought the worlds supply of whey...

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
Mmmm.. Gatorade with protein... sounds delicious (barf!)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive read it and still say its all marketing BS..
I am starting to believe this.

I have been buying much of my protein from a redistribution company that buys from the manufacture and just resells it, doesn't flavor it or anything... and all these little sky rocketing market fluctuations hasn't been seen... at least with the prices I pay them.

purebred

I think its just a marketing scam.. There is no way that they bought the worlds supply of whey...
I don't believe it's actually the whole world's supply. It's a large portion but large enough to have an impact...

This is what I understand anyway.

And to the OP: :gotsearch
Its ****ing gross. My curiosity got the best of me and it tastes like syrup.

As for the other comments, read greg's post.
I don't foresee it doing well on the market whatsoever. All the reviews I've read have been negative. I'm sure there's good reviews out there--I just happen to come across all negative reviews. Coincidence? I think not.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't foresee it doing well on the market whatsoever. All the reviews I've read have been negative. I'm sure there's good reviews out there--I just happen to come across all negative reviews. Coincidence? I think not.
Unfortunately it looks like gnc is pimping it, so it might get more salesthen expected.

purebred

Unfortunately it looks like gnc is pimping it, so it might get more salesthen expected.
You know, now that I think about it..when I first began taking whey protein I would consume it in conjunction with Gatorade. I used to mix the orange powder in water and throw in a scoop and a half of ON Whey Protein. I tried both the Tropical Punch and Vanilla flavors. Although the Tropical Punch flavor was better tasting, Vanilla went quite well with it as well. In fact, it tasted like an orange dreamsicle protein shake.

However, something tells me their product isn't as good as mine. I think I'm gonna bottle my stuff up and sell it. How great would that be: a guy who sells his own "Recovery" product based on Gatorade and ON's Whey protein and generates more profit than one company or the other--or both. That would be some story to tell LOL.

Regarding GNC pimping the products, it certainly is a possibility GNC's marketing and sales assistance will help boost product sales but in actuality, GNC isn't doing so great themselves as a business either. At least from what I understand, Vitamin Shoppe is doing better than them and arguably even Vitamin World combined.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
I think it's taking effect now.
I buy my stuff in bulk, and I have been waiting for my 20lb bag for over a month now.
Where as it would usually show up in a week or so.

Pre packaged tubs are all over the place, but if your trying to buy raw material in bulk, there is a backlog....

bakkbakk

Awards
:aargh::aargh::aargh: Egg whites it is. Not a whole lot of people out there gonna pay 120 bucks for a 5lb of whey. maybe if it gave me a reach round every time I drank it.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Will Work For Whey

Someone should print that on a shirt.

bakkbakk

Awards
You know, now that I think about it..when I first began taking whey protein I would consume it in conjunction with Gatorade. I used to mix the orange powder in water and throw in a scoop and a half of ON Whey Protein. I tried both the Tropical Punch and Vanilla flavors. Although the Tropical Punch flavor was better tasting, Vanilla went quite well with it as well. In fact, it tasted like an orange dreamsicle protein shake.

However, something tells me their product isn't as good as mine. I think I'm gonna bottle my stuff up and sell it. How great would that be: a guy who sells his own "Recovery" product based on Gatorade and ON's Whey protein and generates more profit than one company or the other--or both. That would be some story to tell LOL.

Regarding GNC pimping the products, it certainly is a possibility GNC's marketing and sales assistance will help boost product sales but in actuality, GNC isn't doing so great themselves as a business either. At least from what I understand, Vitamin Shoppe is doing better than them and arguably even Vitamin World combined.
GNC sucks ace. I have to wait for a 99 percent off sale to get anything at a normal deal

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
In other parts of the world like eastern europe, whey is like 120 dollars for a tub. When I was in turkey i talked with some guys, and they treat the stuff like gold. I gave them a couple American websites cuz I felt bad lol.

Either way though I've heard rumors that companies have been skimping on the whey content in powders, and cutting it with cheap dextrose to bring the cost down. Wouldn't surprise me if they are using this as an excuse to drve the price back up where it should be.

bakkbakk

Awards
Lets put it this way. Its the supplement companies tht make the price not the true whey market. Dry whey as of december 27, is at 37.9 cents per pound. so if it doubles or triples could be up to 1.20 per pound of dry whey.

So yes of course there is all the processing and flavoring and what not, that goes into our shakes, but that isnt the price thats going up in demand. Just the demand in dry whey.

In 4/9/2007 the price of dry whey was 75 cents per pound
4/8/2008 was 25 cents per pound
3/27/2009 ws 15.25 cents per pound
12/27/2010 37.9 cents per pound

So I would say it's up to the supplement companies to keep that price under control. We arent demanding it anymore from them than we were the day before. We already pay(or at least I do) 40.00 for 5lbs of O.N. whey 100%

I dont know how many pounds of "dry whey" off the market it takes to make a pound of whey in my O.N. tub.... but if it really took that much more it would have been twice as much for an O.N tub of whey in '07' than it is today(being that the price of dry whey in '07' was double what is was today)

Make sense? I definitely get better results from food when it comes to protein its just the convenience of a shake that I buy it. But at extremes, triple-ing the price of whey tubs is out of the question and will lose a lot of business, so I wouldnt worry about it(the extreme at least)

lets say dry whey on the market does triple an extra 80 cents per pound thats 4 bucks per 5lb tub (Like I said not sure how much "dry whey" it takes to make a lb of our shake protein) but if we are truly buying 100% whey in those tubs i would say a lb equals a lb no??

bakkbakk

Awards
Im not picking on optimum buy any means because i think its definitely a reasonable priced company that does produce a quality product, which is my standard for fish oils, whey, and n.o.pills, but here is a nice article on profit for a supplement company. So they definitely have plenty of profit coming in (as of this article a few years ago, just did a quick search)

Optimum is privately owned and has three operating facilities located in Illinois, South Carolina and Florida employing 387 people. It has a 22 year track record in the manufacture and supply of a range of whey based, premium nutritional supplements to the US and global sports nutrition markets. In 2007, Optimum generated US$185 million (€125 million) revenue and US$32 million (€22 million) operating profit. At year-end December 2007, the company had gross assets of US$51 million (€35 million).

32 million profit for a 387 person business......not too bad... just to show that all of our supplements cost us way more than they should(well could actually).....yes I know about supply and demand and how a business operates but id say we shouldnt have to worryabout a huge whey increase to our supplements.

bakkbakk

Awards
Oh and leave it to another u.s monster of an unhealthy company to buy up good healthy products and add sugar to it, and make living healthy even more difficult and costly to people that care about their bodies.

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
typical marketing BS to get more $, proteins like gas now adays, lol