No worries about fat gain with cinnamon as GDA/mimetic

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
No matter the arguements about proper nomenclature for cinnamon's MOA I will say this - there is no cause for concern that cinnamon will increase adipose accumulation through insulin sensitizing of adipocytes. I say this with authority due to the fact that for almost a month straight now I have been high end dosing cinnamon extract 4% essential oils extract 250mg per pill, which I have been taking upwards of 8 per day.

My caloric intake has decreased over the last 3 weeks, but macro breakdown is high good fats i.e. lots of sardines, salmon, EVOO, Tahini and Natty PB. I am down in weight and as ripped or more than I have ever been.

The jury is still out on any benefit derived from increased muscle cell sensitivity, but I appear to have lost little to no strength in the face of my cut and size is unaffected.

The bottom line is this though, ZERO negative results as far as fat gain, so for those looking for a very inexpensive way to manipulate insulin anabolism don't overlook cinnamon!:squareeyed:

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Haven't experimented with cinnamon extracts just yet but plan to in the future.

Anabolic pump and P-slin always treats me well. the only other GDA I've tried was Glycobol and that one made me gain fat pretty fast. Diet wasn't the factor either was the same i used with AP.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Monstermah...same here. For some reason I gained fat on glycobol, but not on AP!!

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No matter the arguements about proper nomenclature for cinnamon's MOA I will say this - there is no cause for concern that cinnamon will increase adipose accumulation through insulin sensitizing of adipocytes. I say this with authority due to the fact that for almost a month straight now I have been high end dosing cinnamon extract 4% essential oils extract 250mg per pill, which I have been taking upwards of 8 per day.

My caloric intake has decreased over the last 3 weeks, but macro breakdown is high good fats i.e. lots of sardines, salmon, EVOO, Tahini and Natty PB. I am down in weight and as ripped or more than I have ever been.

The jury is still out on any benefit derived from increased muscle cell sensitivity, but I appear to have lost little to no strength in the face of my cut and size is unaffected.

The bottom line is this though, ZERO negative results as far as fat gain, so for those looking for a very inexpensive way to manipulate insulin anabolism don't overlook cinnamon!:squareeyed:

I used cinnamon alone and i feel hypo but rigth now i use LG Slin wich have cinnamon too one of the best GDA`s I ever used!:fing02:

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Its been a while, but IIRC cinnamon mostly upregulates GLUT3 which are found almost exclusively on neurons. I don't recall its effect on muscle GLUT4 translocation being anything special.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Its been a while, but IIRC cinnamon mostly upregulates GLUT3 which are found almost exclusively on neurons. I don't recall its effect on muscle GLUT4 translocation being anything special.
Thanks for the post. i'll definitely research it before trying anything.

My interest in cinnamon was peaked when my father (who's diabetic) was told to drink two black cups of coffee a day and use a tablespoon of cinnamon to help with his blood sugar. Docs can be wrong too but I've been thinking of trying something like the what the OP is doing since I heard this.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the post. i'll definitely research it before trying anything.

My interest in cinnamon was peaked when my father (who's diabetic) was told to drink two black cups of coffee a day and use a tablespoon of cinnamon to help with his blood sugar. Docs can be wrong too but I've been thinking of trying something like the what the OP is doing since I heard this.
bc coffee is the best for him?

who the **** told him to drink coffee, coffee can lead to poor glucose uptake, and its been shown in studies.

Cinnamon is fine,

if your fathers a diabetic, i assume his triglycerides and cholersterol are slightly elevated... and he is type 2, if thats the case i would recommend recompadrol by lean body formulations which was designed for that exact reason.

forget coffee with carbohyrate containing meals if you want to try and increase insulin sensitivity. PERIOD

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Our slin is one of the most under rated supplements out there. It's amazing stuff.

Cinnamon is amazing ****. It's what makes ASGT so good. I think VPX took it out of shotgun, which is a shame since it is just too damn good to leave out.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Our slin is one of the most under rated supplements out there. It's amazing stuff.

Cinnamon is amazing ****. It's what makes ASGT so good. I think VPX took it out of shotgun, which is a shame since it is just too damn good to leave out.
ive never had much success with cinnamon alone,

Slin indeed is a great product, however i got not much from it, and didnt even open my second bottle of it because of it.

Bitter Melon never Wowed me personally, nor did the studies.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OP, are you taking the cinnamon extract with meals containing carbs, or with every meal no matter what the macros?

I've tried a number of GDAs and typically respond very strongly - i.e. hypoglycemia becomes problematic.

niCe99

niCe99

Awards
  • Established
I'm confused. you say your overall calorie decreased over the span of the week yet your good fats increased (stating that you also dropped your protein/carb macros to accommodate the increase in calories from the fat).

and you're surprised you lost weight? and you also contribute all of this to Cinnamon? IMO, i see a good small deficient diet that would elicit fat loss while minimal - to no muscle mass/strength loss. Essentially a recomp. How big of a deficient are you on? I would start to contribute many of your results to cinnamon if you were well over 500-1000 under you maintenance calorie.

i am not attacking you, i am genuinely curious.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established

who the **** told him to drink coffee, coffee can lead to poor glucose uptake, and its been shown in studies.

Cinnamon is fine,

if your fathers a diabetic, i assume his triglycerides and cholersterol are slightly elevated... and he is type 2, if thats the case i would recommend recompadrol by lean body formulations which was designed for that exact reason.

forget coffee with carbohyrate containing meals if you want to try and increase insulin sensitivity. PERIOD
No idea on why black coffee was recommended or if it was to be had with CHO meals. Just always remembered the cinnamon thing. i have a serious stock of AP and P-slin right now so Unless NP runs a sick deal on Recompadrol or LG Slin I'll be holding off on those two for now.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Cinnamon is fine,

But what if you drink your coffee WITH the cinnamon mixed in it :think: :lol:

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No idea on why black coffee was recommended or if it was to be had with CHO meals. Just always remembered the cinnamon thing. i have a serious stock of AP and P-slin right now so Unless NP runs a sick deal on Recompadrol or LG Slin I'll be holding off on those two for now.
Is for the catechins content in coffee

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
But what if you drink your coffee WITH the cinnamon mixed in it :think: :lol:
its will make the cinnamon less effective plus pure cinnamon and the extract cinnulin are different

for a significant effect you need a few tables spoons a day maybe more to reach the point of clinical study findings. and cinnulin youll just need a few 100 mg per day.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established

Cinnamon is fine,

Believe it or not, habitual coffee intake is associated with a reduced risk of developing type II diabetes.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Decafinated due to chlorogenic acids effect on cortisol. Otherwise no

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
for the two questions directed towards me, 1) Yes, I have been taking the cinnamon pills with every meal or shake, regardless of macro breakdown.

2- as for the question of the weight loss being associated with the cinnamon or simply due to decreased caloric intake in spite of high fat intake, I don't know nor do I care. I never attributed any fat loss to cinnamon. I simply stated that despite the presence of high dietary fat intake, there is no evidence of fat gain secondary to the cinnamon. Certain peddlers of so called GDA products on these boards have stated that cinnamon will increase the response to insulin of both muscle AND fat cells, whereas their product doesn't. My conclusion is that this is NOT something to fear.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Find the one in humans :)
Meta-analysis on the studies involving human trials: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15998896

I am not saying that coffee will cure diabetes, afterall there's only an association. But i think it goes a long way to show that even though caffeine has a short-term effect on blood glucose and insulin sensitivity, in the long-run it doesn't matter so much.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Meta-analysis on the studies involving human trials: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15998896

I am not saying that coffee will cure diabetes, afterall there's only an association. But i think it goes a long way to show that even though caffeine has a short-term effect on blood glucose and insulin sensitivity, in the long-run it doesn't matter so much.
I've yet to see a good study on cinnamon's efficacy in humans.

BTW, where you been, Robboe?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A lot has to do with chlorogenic acid to help with the insulin sensitivy and cortisol which both play a part in developing diabetes.

All I'm sayin is if its not decaf will not help as much. Especially with the diets ADA and most nutritionist recommend (higher carb lower protein and moderate fat). They look for stability over time which helps but if you pre diabetic it can be reversed through a better diet and supplement scheme

getbustered

Board Sponsor
Awards
ive never had much success with cinnamon alone,

Slin indeed is a great product, however i got not much from it, and didnt even open my second bottle of it because of it.

Bitter Melon never Wowed me personally, nor did the studies.
This makes no sense to me. You say it is a great product, but on the other hand it was so completely worthless that you were willing to eat a loss on the entire second bottle.

Not trying to be antagonistic (well, maybe a little), but what is up with the nicey nice all the time? Why not just call a spade a spade and say the product did absolutely nothing for you and it sucks. Would be much more valuable feedback than just agreeing that it is great, when from what you have stated you actually don't feel that way. :confused:

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This makes no sense to me. You say it is a great product, but on the other hand it was so completely worthless that you were willing to eat a loss on the entire second bottle.

Not trying to be antagonistic (well, maybe a little), but what is up with the nicey nice all the time? Why not just call a spade a spade and say the product did absolutely nothing for you and it sucks. Would be much more valuable feedback than just agreeing that it is great, when from what you have stated you actually don't feel that way. :confused:
by great product i mean work for some, just not for me, i know many people happy with it. you gotta find a happy medium by piling all experiences together because 1 is not going to change someones mind.

and vanadyl and chromium are indeed good.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice, Emilio! (As if you need to be more ripped ;) ).

Crazyfool, more studies show chronic coffee consumption increases insulin sensitivity and reduces risks of diabetes, than not. Most studies showing it decreases sensitivity are very short term, and/or flawed (giving a whoppin dose to non-coffee drinkers).

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nice, Emilio! (As if you need to be more ripped ;) ).

Crazyfool, more studies show chronic coffee consumption increases insulin sensitivity and reduces risks of diabetes, than not. Most studies showing it decreases sensitivity are very short term, and/or flawed (giving a whoppin dose to non-coffee drinkers).
its tghe caffeine content not exactly the coffee itself

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, coffee has been shown to reduce the incidence of adult onset diabetes, and that is caffeinated coffee, not decaf.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, coffee has been shown to reduce the incidence of adult onset diabetes, and that is caffeinated coffee, not decaf.
i still dont see it helping given caffeines direct effect on glucose uptake,

and even if thats the case its due to the effect on catecholemines from caffeine which doesnt negate the fact it poorly effect glucose metabolism.

ps i like your icon,

its like 2 people are 69ing then something happens and POW body slam

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol, that's a judo throw. Violence, not sex. :D the coffee thing is not well understood. I'm pretty sure his doc wasn't totally off base, though.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
i still dont see it helping given caffeines direct effect on glucose uptake,

and even if thats the case its due to the effect on catecholemines from caffeine which doesnt negate the fact it poorly effect glucose metabolism.
Ok, just for ****s and giggles, how about this one showing that (a pretty huge) caffeine co-ingested with carbs leads to greater glycogen synthesis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18467543

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
its will make the cinnamon less effective plus pure cinnamon and the extract cinnulin are different

for a significant effect you need a few tables spoons a day maybe more to reach the point of clinical study findings. and cinnulin youll just need a few 100 mg per day.
Actually I have read some studies that observed subjects ingesting trace amounts of cinnamon in conjunction with a high carbohydrate challenge, and their gastric emptying rate was lowered by 37% which in turn significantly modulated their blood sugar spike (Am J Clin Nutr. 2 007 Jun;85(6):1552-6) 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per day has also been recorded to lower blood sugar levels by 20% in human studies compared to a control. Once cinnamon was disused blood sugar in response to high Glycemic feedings returned to basal levels in the absence of cinnamon.

I have been a long time user of cinnamon, often powdering my oatmeal with so much it makes it difficult to swallow, four times per day (especially during contest preparation phases). I would however like to compare blood sugar levels and onset of hypoglycemia between canela molida (not Cinnamomum verum, true cinnamon - that's another story!) and cinnulin extract or other standardized extracts.

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Actually I have read some studies that observed subjects ingesting trace amounts of cinnamon in conjunction with a high carbohydrate challenge, and their gastric emptying rate was lowered by 37% which in turn significantly modulated their blood sugar spike (Am J Clin Nutr. 2 007 Jun;85(6):1552-6)
Trace amounts? That study says the subjects took 6g cinnamon! http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/6/1552

I have been a long time user of cinnamon, often powdering my oatmeal with so much it makes it difficult to swallow, four times per day (especially during contest preparation phases). I would however like to compare blood sugar levels and onset of hypoglycemia between canela molida (not Cinnamomum verum, true cinnamon - that's another story!) and cinnulin extract or other standardized extracts.
Have you seen the videos online where people try and swallow a tablespoon of cinnamon? They are hilarious.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I still am where I stand. For me cinnamon has not done much for me

And as for the diabetes issue, it is worth noting, but I still hold my ground. Regardless of the studies I've seen. The decreased risk can be associated with 2 things.... Chlorogenic acid n antioxidents, or weight loss/anoretic effect.

I still don't think its optimal to use it soo much due to eventual adrenal fatigue

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I added Cinnamon to my ritualistic cottage cheese daily, ingesting quite a bit per serving. Without changing diet and routine I have seen a nice gradual leaning effect.

I have always thought cinnamon was promising, maybe time to break out the ol blood glucose meter. I have done it on almost every other compound!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used to add cinnamon to everything I ate. Nothing but that's just me.

My grandma seems to think it works. But then again she thinks her diets good. So I duno

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I used to add cinnamon to everything I ate. Nothing but that's just me.

My grandma seems to think it works. But then again she thinks her diets good. So I duno
Haha, grandma knows best! Actually, I wouldn't claim cinnamon was efficacious by any means, I started using it a while back merely as a flavor additive, and after reading the pretty large collection of science supporting its glucose modulating effects, I continued using it.

Kevin T swears that drinking Vinegar will save your life, regrow your hair, and cook breakfast for you too though ;) A hundred years from now, we'll have myostatin inhibitors and muscle tissue specific SARMs, and everyone will be able to walk around making Branch Warren look like Pee Wee Herman. Someone will come across an archived version of this forum, and have a good laugh with their pal when they see us having a discussion about a possible 21-30% modified drop in blood glucose levels and gastric emptying following cinnamon ingestion.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haha, grandma knows best! Actually, I wouldn't claim cinnamon was efficacious by any means, I started using it a while back merely as a flavor additive, and after reading the pretty large collection of science supporting its glucose modulating effects, I continued using it.

Kevin T swears that drinking Vinegar will save your life, regrow your hair, and cook breakfast for you too though ;) A hundred years from now, we'll have myostatin inhibitors and muscle tissue specific SARMs, and everyone will be able to walk around making Branch Warren look like Pee Wee Herman. Someone will come across an archived version of this forum, and have a good laugh with their pal when they see us having a discussion about a possible 21-30% modified drop in blood glucose levels and gastric emptying following cinnamon ingestion.
Yeah, when typing with their 5th arm since they mutated themselves at a molecular level! :D All the while, we here with our modest 2 arms taking natural herbs to get a step ahead! :D

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Everyone may come out lookin like GORO from MK1! Lolz

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Trace amounts? That study says the subjects took 6g cinnamon! http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/6/1552
In a synopsis of the study it cited the total cinnamon ingestion as only being slightly over 1 1/2 teaspoons: "Cinnamon slows the rate at which the stomach empties after meals, reducing the rise in blood sugar after eating. Researchers measured how quickly the stomach emptied after 14 healthy subjects ate 300 grams (1.2 cups) of rice pudding alone or seasoned with 6 grams (1.2 teaspoons) of cinnamon. Adding cinnamon to the rice pudding lowered the gastric emptying rate from 37% to 34.5% and significantly lessened the rise in blood sugar levels after eating. Am J Clin Nutr. 2 007 Jun;85(6):1552-6. Cinnamon may also significantly help people with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to respond to insulin, thus normalizing their blood sugar levels."

I agree 6g of cinnamon powder would be quite hard to stomach, if taken in one gulp (hilarity sure to ensue) - but when mixed in with a large portion (over a cup) of rice pudding, it would be quite easy to tolerate (both on the taste buds and on the stomach). I would venture to say I definitely use at least 1 teaspoon when mixing with my oatmeal or shredded wheat and milk with blueberries and Truvia; and I will repeat that identical meal four times per day at times (nearly 20g of cinnamon per day). I admit though, my tolerance to cinnamon is extremely high, it has been YEARS of ongoing daily consistent administration in high amounts in Greek Yogurt, Oatmeal, Cereal, etc.

Too much though... and it just turns horribly bitter :(

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Everyone may come out lookin like GORO from MK1! Lolz
HA! OK, I know this is way off subject... but - who does everyone believe is the most muscled super hero/comic book character of all time? Maybe I should start a new thread... could be interesting! ;)

junkyarddogzz

junkyarddogzz

Awards
  • Established

sarms are here!!!:smlove2:

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
sarms are here!!!:smlove2:
You might be referring to something else, but I haven't read stellar reviews on S4 that establish any type of consensus among users. Trenbolone Acetate has SARM like properties, and that sure does a body good ;)

Come on science... create something awesome, the way Dianabol revolutionized the Olympics back in the good old post WW2 days; so it can quickly leak out into the black market and be hastily injected by the first ambitious meat head that procures it!

Pfft, who needs Myostatin anyway? Oh wait, I forgot... Myo T-12 reduced serum Myostatin levels ;)