overall health

at1010

Awards
  • Established
i try to take supps just for my overall health and would like to see what people think. I take fishoil, multis, milk thistle, and bee pollen all year round. I was wondering if this was overkill or ok to do.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Great question. Believe me I would be the pot calling the kettle black if I said I thought that was overkill! Five years ago I would have sat here for an hour typing the list of supplements that I took daily; I spent about $400 a month on supps, not even counting protein powders and premixed drinks. Today I hope I am much wiser (I certainly am older!) and I keep reminding myself that supplements are just that-- supplements to a diet and lifestyle that should already be addressing most of my needs. Thus, I try to get most of my nutrients by choosing better foods and doing a little research here and there. The only supplements I take daily are buffered vitamin C, B5, D3, natural E, calcium/magnesium/zinc citrate, and whey shakes. That's about a 95% reduction in supps from a few years ago, when I literally had bookshelves plus 2 kitchen cabinets full of things I took daily. And honestly, eating well feels so much better than eating halfway decent meals and taking handfuls of supps. It is interesting and fun to take the time to learn about what foods provide what nutrients and how to cook with them to your liking.

at1010

Awards
  • Established
ya i eat really healthy and get a lot of iron and more, but i am just making sure i am stay healthy and not hurting myself.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
you're def not hurting yourself, you are covering the basics, and if this regiment is meeting your needs, it's perfect.

at1010

Awards
  • Established
ok thanks guys the milk thistle was my biggest worry! i makes my piss smell really stong, but i do consume beer on the weekends so i figured alil extra liver protection woudlnt kill me!

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
ok thanks guys the milk thistle was my biggest worry! i makes my piss smell really stong, but i do consume beer on the weekends so i figured alil extra liver protection woudlnt kill me!
Haha yeah kinda smells like you've been eating asparagus. I wouldn't be concerned with that. It's great for the old liver.