Answers on a post please, what's the best protein powder?

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
Hi there seems to be a lot of views on protein powder, and in particular what it's derived from... It can be pretty confusing? So what are people's top three and why? What's the scientific answer? Does higher price actually equal a better product?

My current goals are to drop BF, but really don't want to lose the muscle along with it. I am also upping protein intake from whole foods but find it difficult to do this 5 times a day, so assuming two meals a day will have shakes, so want something to assist in meeting my goals.

Lastly, here's a real stupid question but when people refer to oatmeal, does anybody know what the UK equivalent is? Is it just oats? And if so, how the heck do you make a shake with that as an ingredient?

Thanks in advance for answering my stupid questions guys!!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oatmeal=porridge. Cooked oats. And to put them in your shake, most people grind them up in a coffee maker.

As far as protein goes, there's different sources (Casein, Whey, Egg, Milk, etc) that have different absorption and nutrient profiles. The standard is suggesting casein/egg pre-bed, and a faster protein pre/post workout. Personally I do a mix; either manually of pick something up like Myofusion. NutraPlanet will be coming out with an inhouse brand of whey protein soon, and there's plenty of other great options in this area. As far as casein go, I like ON Casein

Fenway

Awards
Hi there seems to be a lot of views on protein powder, and in particular what it's derived from... It can be pretty confusing? So what are people's top three and why? What's the scientific answer? Does higher price actually equal a better product?

My current goals are to drop BF, but really don't want to lose the muscle along with it. I am also upping protein intake from whole foods but find it difficult to do this 5 times a day, so assuming two meals a day will have shakes, so want something to assist in meeting my goals.

Lastly, here's a real stupid question but when people refer to oatmeal, does anybody know what the UK equivalent is? Is it just oats? And if so, how the heck do you make a shake with that as an ingredient?

Thanks in advance for answering my stupid questions guys!!
I'm not trying to be difficult when I say this, but you sound rather new to this, and would benefit from doing some of the reading/research as opposed to just asking for the answer. What that being said, Whey is the most popular form of protein.

When we talk about whey we are actually referring to a complex ingredient made up of protein, lactose, fat and minerals. Protein is the best known component of whey and is made up of many smaller protein subfractions such as: Beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, immunoglobulins (IgGs), glycomacropeptides, bovine serum albumin (BSA) and minor peptides such as lactoperoxidases, lysozyme and lactoferrin. Each of the subfractions found in whey has its own unique biological properties.

Whey protein although whey, can be manufactured in various forms.
When we talk about whey we are actually referring to a complex ingredient made up of protein, lactose, fat and minerals. Protein is the best known component of whey and is made up of many smaller protein subfractions such as: Beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, immunoglobulins (IgGs), glycomacropeptides, bovine serum albumin (BSA) and minor peptides such as lactoperoxidases, lysozyme and lactoferrin. Each of the subfractions found in whey has its own unique biological properties.

Whey protein isolates (WPI) are the rage at the moment and are about 90% pure. The problem with WPI is that they are only beneficial in an undenatured state, i.e. native conformational state, and have biological activity. Micro filtration appears to be better as opposed to ion exchange as ion exchange depletes some of the active components of the product. This process increases the protein content, but decreases the subfractions that provide many of the benefits of the product.

This segues us nicely into looking at the micro filtered whey isolates. With the array of more recent processing techniques used to make WPIs-or pull out various subfractions -such as Cross Flow Micro filtration (CFM®), ultra filtration (UF), micro filtration (MF), reverse osmosis (RO), dynamic membrane filtration (DMF), ion exchange chromatography, (IEC), electro-ultrafiltration (EU), radial flow chromatography (RFC) and nano filtration (NF), manufacturers can now make some very high grade and unique whey proteins. the most popular form of micro filtration is CFM, or cross low micro filtered.

A new generation of whey products known as Bioactive Whey Fraction (BAWF) protein is soon to hit the market place, and has the potential to be a worthwhile addition to an athlete's diet. These new BAWF proteins provide the benefits of high protein levels (>70%) accompanied by greatly increased levels of bioactive health-promoting compounds. This innovative product contains all sorts of interesting compounds not found in significant concentrations in either whey isolates or concentrates. BAWF protein contains far higher total growth factor levels comprised from IGF-1, TGF-ß1, and TGF-ß2. It contains much higher levels of various phospholipids and various bioactive lipids, such as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), phosphotidyl-serine, phosphtidyl-choline, sphingomyelin, and higher levels of immunoglobulins and lactoferrin.

Another fairly new development in whey processing is the ability to isolate certain bioactive subfraction proteins on a large scale from whey proteins, such as lactoferrin or Glycomacro peptide, using some of the processing methods mentioned above. This was not possible to do on a large scale just a few years ago, but can be done today with modern filtering techniques employed by a small number of companies. This allows for a truly tailored protein supplement; the ability to add back in certain subfractions in amounts that can't be found in nature. Take for example the subfraction lactoferrin. In many whey products, it is nonexistent due to the type of processing employed. The best whey products will contain less than 1% lactoferrin-and more like 0.5%-of this rare but important micro-fraction. Some companies are now able to add in a specific subfraction to get a truly "designer" protein. One company is also working on making an isolate that will have higher levels of the beneficial subfraction alpha-lactalbumin, and lower levels of the more allergenic and less nutritive subfraction Beta-lactoglobulin. "High alpha-lac" whey isolates would be potentially superior to what is currently on the market in large scale production

Most people remember hydrolyzed proteins were all the rage a few years ago, then dropped off sharply. "Hydrolyzed" basically means the protein has been broken down partially into peptides of different lengths. Because the protein is already partially broken down, it is absorbed faster, which may have positive effects under certain circumstances, and certain metabolic conditions (i.e., burn victims or people with certain digestive disorders and pre-term infants). Whether or not hydrolyzed proteins are truly an advantage to athletes has yet to be proven.

The hype over hydrolyzed proteins was largely based on one rat study that found fasted rats given Hydrolyzed protein had higher nitrogen retention then rats fed whole protein. Human studies have shown that whey peptide-based diets in patients with cancer and crohn's disease result in enhanced nitrogen retention and utilization. To date, no one has followed up with a human study with healthy athletes showing the same thing.

Please note I cut and pasted parts of this reply from notes I have taken over time for myself on this subject, and therefore can not take credit for all of it. Hope this helps.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
As mentioned above each type has its different benefits whey is great for postworkout casein for bed Stevoph also mentioned Myofusion which is one of my favorite proteins because it is great tasting and has multiple sources of protein, and where i bought it, it may be the cheapest 5 pounds for 25.99$ cant be beat 63 servings.

cgoode

cgoode

Awards
  • Established
wheybolic or hydrowhey or protowhey for pre/post workout

Sam I Am

Sam I Am

Banned
Awards
Best tasting - Syntha-6 (Chocolate)
BUT, the new Platinum Hydro-Whey from ON is better!

All The Whey lost me as a customer, so I cannot recommend anything from them.

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the responses guys, i've been using maximuscle myself, but it's not cheap makes a lot of claims but would seem to align with the comments made by Fenway on the new breeds coming on to the market, and since I reckon the US has got to be a much bigger market than the UK, I thought I would ask for some help... appreciate it could come across as a very newbie question, but then with most nutrition suppliers having easily 10 pages + on protein powders alone, and with the UK being a much smaller market, even researching alone doesn't really produce the answers per se (well not in a concise way, so whilst some would consider a "lazy" approach, I prefer to think of it as "more efficient") ... Thought I might give one of the US products a go and wondered what people on AM thought - thanks for the very detailed and informative response, no offence taken at all, liked your bit, good summation and I guess confirmed what I feared, something that's all the rage today, may not be all that it seems tomorrow or least hard to prove. Guess just have to try a few and see, will take into account the other guys suggestions, especially perhaps considering different proteins dependant on timing. G

Will now have a look and see if any of the aforementioned are available in UK and then will compare with local stuff and see what the core differences.

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
just checked my regular supplier stocks both O.N. hydrowhey, cassien and myofusion albeit more than you guys pay but it's less than maximuscle so i might give it go and see what i think... any flavor recomendations?

permanabol

Awards
I'm not quite sure what that Hydrowhey is but if it's the platinum bottle then I would never waste money on that and just get O.N's gold standard whey. It's got the fast absorbing protein and BCAA's and glutamine without a big price tag. If your looking to replace meals with a shake then a Meal replacement shake is what you need... it's a shake with multiple kinds of proteins, carbohydrates and fats. The most popular is BSN's Syntha 6 (expensive imo) and Gaspari's myofusion there's one by met-rx that's popular too I believe and if you want O.N's version then pro complex is your choice. Casein has already been covered I believe but I eat cottage cheese instead to save some cash.
Best of luck

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
thanks, that's another vote for myofusion then and it's a decent price here, i'll check out syntha-6 as a comparative as well... cottage cheese good point, also heard greek yoghurt is good too.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
Natural Isolate and Casein that you flavour yourself.

BigBeazy

BigBeazy

Awards
  • Established
My Cheap and easy post workout, Goldstandard & Glycomaize.

Qwls, If you are trying desperatley to drop body fat, and dropping coin Isn't a real problem either, pick up some Isopure.

You can easily just mix it with water (I bought the chocolate) and substitute most of your meals with it, or simply have a shake before you eat something. Also i'd look into getting some Arginine/Citrulline or trying out the new Oxy Elite Pro (I hate fat burners but this one might work). Only thing is, its roughly 45$ for 3lbs. of Isopure which makes it one of the more expensive proteins.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wait.................Nutrapro is on its way :thumbsup:

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
My Cheap and easy post workout, Goldstandard & Glycomaize.

Qwls, If you are trying desperatley to drop body fat, and dropping coin Isn't a real problem either, pick up some Isopure.

You can easily just mix it with water (I bought the chocolate) and substitute most of your meals with it, or simply have a shake before you eat something. Also i'd look into getting some Arginine/Citrulline or trying out the new Oxy Elite Pro (I hate fat burners but this one might work). Only thing is, its roughly 45$ for 3lbs. of Isopure which makes it one of the more expensive proteins.
Thanks! Been taking OEP for about a week now and I normally take arginine in my pre workout drink, so at least looks like I'm doing some things right so far!

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
Just wait.................Nutrapro is on its way :thumbsup:
Wait is something I can do, as I'm using what I've got at the moment, but will I be able to get NutraPro in the UK? I know I can get RPN products from predator nutrition...

Have you done the tests yet and is there a log or feedback on AM somewhere or can u post the link? Happy to support the team, so to speak

Cheers

BigBeazy

BigBeazy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! Been taking OEP for about a week now and I normally take arginine in my pre workout drink, so at least looks like I'm doing some things right so far!
You want to take Arginine throught the day....

When you take the Arginine and Citrulline combined, It sort of regulates blood flow more, causing your body to take up more. Pretty much this way it helps aid in fat loss, taking up fat as a replacement. It's kinda weird to understand but thats as plainly as i can put it.

You want small increments daily, not a ton at one time to promote fatloss.

Also how is the OEP so far? Should i bother looking into it?

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
thanks for info, will look at taking througout the day. My local supplier suggests the following stack "Citrulline Malate can be 'stacked' with Di-Arginine Malate and Taurine to produce excellent muscular pump and vascularity" ever tried it with Taurine?

OEP, yep i'm a fan a few of are logging progress on the USP supp section, would post the link but i'm too new to able to... it's AnabolicMinds.com Forum > Supplement Companies > USP Labs >USP Labs OxyElite Pro - Log

overall dropped about 3.5 lbs since starting and about 1% BF, whilst increasing muscle mass. Mirror tells a better story!

I haven't got my diet where I need it to be but have started to change that and I think then I might start to see greater progress on the BF, which is ultimately what I want

b0z

b0z

Awards
In no specific order: ON 100% Whey, Gasapri Myofusion and ON Nitrocore 24. I'll be trying XF Ultra Peptide Whey here shortly, I'll let you know how it is.

MichaelRay

Awards
Is it necessary to take protein powder for make body building? If yes than which is best for it?

b0z

b0z

Awards
Is it necessary to take protein powder for make body building? If yes than which is best for it?
It's not necessary, but highly recommend to intake protein before and after workouts. I take 1 scoop of protein before (20g) and 2 scoops after (40g). As far as what's the best, that's a personal oponion. I would look into something simple like a Whey protein, and maybe some Casein before bed. Good luck.

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
In no specific order: ON 100% Whey, Gasapri Myofusion and ON Nitrocore 24. I'll be trying XF Ultra Peptide Whey here shortly, I'll let you know how it is.
Excellent! Would be good to hear your view matey

Naberious

Naberious

Awards
Myofusion and ON ProComplex are both pretty solid

And Muscle/Monster milk are both delicious!

MichaelRay

Awards
There are many flavors available in market but I like to take chocolate flavor.It's taste is really good than other in the market.