1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

melatonin regrets

The main thing I am wondering about is if any of you feel like after you got off melatonin, you felty as though you had become somewhat dependent. You can also say if you have any other regrets, or nono at all.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.85%

I've checked this. You're mistaken. Its not like test - there's no shutdown.

You get a bit of insomnia after years "on" but that clears up.

Whether melatonin is beneficial or not - I really don't know but can be useful for overcoming jet-lag.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%

Good to know. I tried to give you some reputation, but it says I need to spread some around first.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I think I worry about dependency more that it actually being the case. I've used high doses of melatonin for years and sleep great with it. When you find something that makes you sleep great...you're reluctant to be without it. On more than a few occasions, I have run out and still slept pretty well. I don't worry about dependency too much because our pituataries tend to stop working as we get old...hence elderly folks seldom sleep more than a few hours at a time.

lef.org has great articles on melatonin and its role as a potent antioxidant that regulates neurotransmitters, hormones etc as well as being strongly anti-cancer.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%

I always figured you for a guys in his 20's/30's. I don't know. I just got that vibe.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.75%

30-ish. I'll be 38 in May. Either way, I fear insomnia more than supplement dependency.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.85%

There's a melatonin agonist which is interesting but $$$. Good science behind melatonin agonists. If I was going to supplement thats what I'd use but again $$$, although you don't know the long term stuff. Melatonin is safe long term.

Alot take melatonin - it is a cheap antioxidant. Personally I'll stick with MycoGreen (MST), although admittedly long term melatonin has a good track record, MycoGreen ... who knows?
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bioman View Post
    30-ish. I'll be 38 in May. Either way, I fear insomnia more than supplement dependency.
    Agreed. Nothing worse than a few nights in a row not being able to sleep. It's a funk you fear you'll never get out of.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%

Do you feel the MycoGreen is doing anything for you?
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.85%

Sure.

I'm detoxing on heavy Chlorella - which rocks. MycoGreen is in there low level 2 caps per day.

Its like a newer "me".

Anyway I'm on cycle right now so most supps are wound down, don't need Bs, C, adaptogens .. that sort of thing 'cause the energy is from 1T
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.6%

There are good studies on e r g o - l o g regarding melatonin. All of them are very positive.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%

What is in those greens pills that make them better than a full scoop of greens powder?
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.76%

Your body produces melatonin naturally. Its not really a medication it's an actual hormone excreted by your body according to your circadian rhythm. I think any dependency actually experienced is purely psychological and should go away within a few days.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.85%

Chlorella is unlike any veg. I've eaten.

Chelates heavy metals from the body.

Anyway lot of guys supporting melatonin here.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.32%

carl lenore did a great show on melatonin, its one of the very few antioxidents taht passes the blood brain barrier, great for agining bad to take if you dotn NEED it and your bosys prodyuction hasnt gone down at all
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.85%

Great thread. Some top players contributing.

I'll rethink melatonin as a once in a while antioxidant. One of the reasons antioxidants are attractive is that they are rumoured to boost test, whilst melatonin is rumoured to contraindicate.

Alot of things can get through the BBB, ALCAR is just one. This thread makes you think again though. I tried melatonin but never liked it. The idea of a melatonin agonist always appealed to me - it was actually an experiment on zebra fish that caught my attention, so perhaps a poorly formed idea. Like if I'm trying to model my life on a fish, something is badly wrong with my life
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.75%

I used between 20-30mg per night most nights. I vary it just to keep my body guessing. If I run out, I use benedryl for a night or two to ween off and I seem to sleep fine. I have noticed over the last few years of use that my moods have become more stable...which is really nice because I used to be a bit bi-polar/depressive.

Its kind of the core of my antiaging regimen and the only negative study I have seen alluded to reduced thyroid function from high dosing, however I don't seem to have experienced this.

At this stage, I'd like to get ahold of some bulk melatonin... both for my use and my cat who has contacted osteosarcoma. Some positive studies showing accelerated aptosis with high dose melaonin.
  18. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I think I worry about dependency more that it actually being the case. I've used high doses of melatonin for years and sleep great with it. When you find something that makes you sleep great...you're reluctant to be without it. On more than a few occasions, I have run out and still slept pretty well. I don't worry about dependency too much because our pituataries tend to stop working as we get old...hence elderly folks seldom sleep more than a few hours at a time.

lef.org has great articles on melatonin and its role as a potent antioxidant that regulates neurotransmitters, hormones etc as well as being strongly anti-cancer.
    Yea , I read a lot of similar things stating how it plays a role as a powerful antioxidant, and big in the anti-aging community. Thats enough to convince me, it's a worthwhile supplement. I take 3mg most nights.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  19. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

I used between 20-30mg per night most nights. I vary it just to keep my body guessing. If I run out, I use benedryl for a night or two to ween off and I seem to sleep fine. I have noticed over the last few years of use that my moods have become more stable...which is really nice because I used to be a bit bi-polar/depressive.

Its kind of the core of my antiaging regimen and the only negative study I have seen alluded to reduced thyroid function from high dosing, however I don't seem to have experienced this.

At this stage, I'd like to get ahold of some bulk melatonin... both for my use and my cat who has contacted osteosarcoma. Some positive studies showing accelerated aptosis with high dose melaonin.
    Have you ever tried doxylamine succinate? That stuff is a very potent hypnotic/antihistamine similar to benadryl, but more sedating. It's the active in nyquil, and unisom tabs (not the gels), and sold in generic at wallyworld very cheap, like 4 bucks box of 32 I think.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.85%

I used between 20-30mg per night most nights.
    That is a fair amount of melatonin. 3mg is too heavy for me.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.63%
    Achievements Posting Pro

3mg a night for me does the trick.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

When you find something that makes you sleep great...you're reluctant to be without it.
    i did that with x-dreams. took it for longer than i should have without cycling off.

Similar Forum Threads

1. late night regrets aka sub001 is a bad man
    By sub001 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-10-2010, 11:58 PM
  2. Obama's frequent regrets may make us sorry
    By Squeaks4ver in forum Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
  3. Regrets in Life
    By doggzj in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32