looking for a sleep aid

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
I am 21, just quit smoking and drinking cold turkey two months ago and ever since i cant get any sort of sleep. The sleep i do get is horrible. i feel like im going insane sometimes. I'm thinking about starting cigs again. Does anyone have any advice, know of a good sleep aid that is mild on side affects?

pillsRgood

pillsRgood

Awards
  • Established
I have a sleep issue as well, and its because I take NO shotgun later in the day to workout, which usually keeps me up... Recently (as in the last month or so) I have been taking ZMA and it seems to be helping me fall asleep/stay asleep...I have also in the past taken melatonine and that worked for as well...If you decide on the ZMA, take it 20 min before you lay down for sleep and do not drink any dairy products within 45-1hr of taking the product...I did this and the dairy and the ZMA mixed and upset my stomach... Goodluck, hope this helps and congrats on not smoking, dont give in and start again...

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
zma is good to take regularly, a few that i have used that work good are these:
Somnidren
IBE x-Dream
Scivation knockout
Appnut Lipotrophin PM

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
somnidren is #1
ibe x-dream is #2
i have used bolth and bolth work vary will.5 htp makes my drozy in the morning even after 8 hours.zma is so so

onlyone

Awards
ReductionPm is the best for sleep I tried so far. Cheap and help you stay lean.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
Melatonin and 5thp is what i would suggest.. you body is having to relearn how to fall asleep naturally.. and theses to products are safe to use. be careful using other sleep aid, because you will then start relying on them for sleep as well then you body then again has to learn how to fall asleep naturally..

Geckodude

Awards
Agreed TEX A great solid sleep aid I have been taking has been 3mg pills of Melatonin. It is a great supp all natural and puts me to sleep in about 20 min. Its also a great antioxidant and cheap as hell bought mine off BB.com for like $2.00 best decision I ever made. Im in Army rotc and have to wake up at 5am every morn and on those nights I just cant to bed its the ticket and on training nights I give to my buddies and most of them love it too. Good Luck sleep is very very important as you know why not try and make it better!

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
appreciate the input, i just bought a small jar of melatonin 3g tabs. gonna try one tonight.

froggy543

froggy543

Awards
Melatonin and 5thp is what i would suggest.. you body is having to relearn how to fall asleep naturally.. and theses to products are safe to use. be careful using other sleep aid, because you will then start relying on them for sleep as well then you body then again has to learn how to fall asleep naturally..
X2 ..... star off with a low dose and work your way up from there when useing Melatonin..

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
stay away from melotonin. leads to lower test and sperm production in males

I rec

Appnut Lipotrophin PM

the comp works wonders

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
I use simply sleep and melatonin. It's so relaxing.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin use / overuse can mess up your body's natural sleep pattern and can cause dependence.

I usually don't have much problem getting to sleep but ZMA has helped with deeper sleep. On a good night I get about 6-7 hrs, but usually 5-7. The improved quality has helped a lot.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doxylamine succinate is a member of the ethanolamine class of antihistamines and has anti-allergy power superior to almost every other antihistamine on the market, with the exception of diphenhydramine (Benadryl). It is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States, and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics. One study found that doxylamine succinate is possibly more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative.

This is the active in Nyquill, and unisom tabs (not gel caps). Wallyworld sells the generic for 4 bucks a box, of 32 25mg tabs. Very effective sedative similar to benadryl. Trauma turned me on about a year ago to it. Love the stuff.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ones I liked:
ZMA
1-carboxy
Somindren
CL Reduction PM

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I am 21, just quit smoking and drinking cold turkey two months ago and ever since i cant get any sort of sleep. The sleep i do get is horrible. i feel like im going insane sometimes. I'm thinking about starting cigs again. Does anyone have any advice, know of a good sleep aid that is mild on side affects?
The main thing you are facing is nicotene withdrawl. Never smoked but I imagine its no joke. I suspect a sort of depression kicks in but its just a guess. If you quit now good investiment for the future.

Recommend you visit you practioner. There's a few things that can come into play here, I'd try a combination of things to try and beat it.

3mg melatonin is only for serious insomnia try 1mg or 0.5mg.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could try "Delta Sleep Inducing Peptide" if you are having serious problems falling asleep. It can be found at research chem websites and perhaps other places as well. It is oral I believe as it is absorbed by the gut.

journals.lww dotcom /ejanaesthesiology/Fulltext/2001/07000/Delta_sleep_inducing_peptide.1.aspx

elivvt

Awards
I find that ZMA with Lean Dreams work great for getting a deep rejuvenating sleep.

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
Stack X-Dream by IBE and ZMK by MST..

you'll be :sleeping: like a baby in no time !

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, because taking chronic tylenol to help you fall asleep is such a great idea.

narraboth

Awards
  • Established
The main thing you are facing is nicotene withdrawl. Never smoked but I imagine its no joke. I suspect a sort of depression kicks in but its just a guess. If you quit now good investiment for the future.

Recommend you visit you practioner. There's a few things that can come into play here, I'd try a combination of things to try and beat it.

3mg melatonin is only for serious insomnia try 1mg or 0.5mg.
I took melatonin when i got jet-leg or when I have to get enough sleep on a cross-ocean plane (you know it can be impossible if you are in economic class). Otherwise I don't use it.

If it's Nicotine withdrawl, then the most effective way is to get some Nicotine gum/tablet.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
id try to do something natural first try to eat all ur meals during the day saving one for post workout... Workout at night while taking a pre workout.. when the fatigue from ur workout and pre workout crash hits u will fall asleep fine

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
anyone heard anything good about PP's slumber stack?

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, very relaxing and you sleep good. No hangover feelings, you feel well rested in the morning. It is tea, its easy to make, but for some they may not be used to it.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
anyone heard anything good about PP's slumber stack?
yes Primordials slumber stack is great, my family uses it quite often. Also x-dreams, i have not used but heard good things about

stay away from Tylenol (bad for the liver)

and melatonin (not good for males sperm count)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Did someone say sleep aid???

hmmmmm wonder if any board sponsors will have FREE samples of a new sleep aid soon ??? :)

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
PowerFULL really works well for me. I used to have a terrible time sleeping until I started trying PowerFULL.

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking a combo of Somnidren and ZMK. Words can't describe how effective these two products are for me. Deep sleep all night and a feeling of recuperation upon waking.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doxylamine succinate is a member of the ethanolamine class of antihistamines and has anti-allergy power superior to almost every other antihistamine on the market, with the exception of diphenhydramine (Benadryl). It is also the most effective over-the-counter sedative available in the United States, and is more sedating than some prescription hypnotics. One study found that doxylamine succinate is possibly more effective than the barbiturate phenobarbital for use as a sedative.

This is the active in Nyquill, and unisom tabs (not gel caps). Wallyworld sells the generic for 4 bucks a box, of 32 25mg tabs. Very effective sedative similar to benadryl. Trauma turned me on about a year ago to it. Love the stuff.

Yes, it's a powerful antihistamine with potent anticholinergic effects. This is why it's often used as a sedative/hypnotic or anxiolytic. Doses as low as 6.25mg are effective for sleep. I would start very low with this and adjust as needed. I wouldn't dose above 18.75mg. From my own experiences once you hit 25mg the side effects become much more pronounced.

Nyquil is the most popular OTC product that utilizes this, but you can buy the Unisom "sleep tabs" to avoid acetaminophen content. This is probably one of the best sleep inducers I've ever used and I like it better than my ambien in many instances. The only drawback is the anticholinergic effect can leave you feeling "hungover" in ways during the morning hours.

-John

pctforeal

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin and 5-htp - run you like 10$ lol cant beat it

Dont need anything special. Naturally occuring in the body, no special ingredients. Just make sure your settled in and ready for bed after you take them. Takes about 20-30mins and your eyes will start to close on their own and then its lights out!

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
To the original poster, you've made it this long DON'T get back on the cigarettes, nothing is worse for you health. I've had too many health care pros tell me I'd be better off eating McDonalds every day than smoking (luckily I've never had the habit). My mom died young from the effects of smoking, and I've had several patients who now talk through a device from their habit. As far as sleep aids it really depends on the person and even budget. Melatonin is cheap and works well but gives me an occasional headache. ZMA is something that seems to make sleep deeper and waking up is easier than using Melatonin, which leaves me slightly groggy. Somnidren GH is a nice product, sleep is also deeper and seems to help slightly with recovery. HGH UP is very similar to Somnidren (only in pill form) and taken 5 caps before bed will produce some high quality sleep and incredible dreams. However, if cutting it makes me very hungry. For bulking I'd say it's a winner for sure. With these products only melatonin actually makes me sleepy, the rest just enhance the effects of sleep. Possibly using some of the good info people have provided and using a going to sleep aid (melatonin or doxylamine) along with a sleep enhancer (Somnidren GH, ZMA or HGHUP) might be something to try. I always worry about the drowsy or groggy feeling in the morning so I never taken these together but may in the future. Good luck.

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Thanks to everyone for the replies. After trying the melatonin i decided i'm going to stop using it and try something different. It helped somewhat but isn't what i'm looking for. It took me a while to fall asleep on it and I still woke up in the middle of the night. I can say that it did help me relax. Like it kept my mind from racing around different thoughts/ideas which helped but I gotta say the day after I had a horrible headache both times I tried it. I tried it twice using 3 mg.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I would research possible 5-htp risks. Melatonin is safe.

The_Reverend

The_Reverend

Awards
  • Established
Yes, it's a powerful antihistamine with potent anticholinergic effects. This is why it's often used as a sedative/hypnotic or anxiolytic. Doses as low as 6.25mg are effective for sleep. I would start very low with this and adjust as needed. I wouldn't dose above 18.75mg. From my own experiences once you hit 25mg the side effects become much more pronounced.

Nyquil is the most popular OTC product that utilizes this, but you can buy the Unisom "sleep tabs" to avoid acetaminophen content. This is probably one of the best sleep inducers I've ever used and I like it better than my ambien in many instances. The only drawback is the anticholinergic effect can leave you feeling "hungover" in ways during the morning hours.

-John
I hear that you do not get REM sleep on products that contain diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate. Can anybody confirm this? With that aside, I personally do not like the groggy feeling the next morning.

Punisher63e

Awards

I'm not sure at what dose you take that stuff at, but I never had much luck with it. The diphenhydramine based OTC sleep aids work much much better for me.

Punisher63e

Awards
I hear that you do not get REM sleep on products that contain diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate. Can anybody confirm this? With that aside, I personally do not like the groggy feeling the next morning.
Could be true... I have a history of using OTC sleep aids including diphen and doxy, and melatonin. Usually the chemical sleep aids leave me feeling drowsy in the morning and through part of the day sometimes. It puts me to sleep but I can't say that the quality of sleep isn't all that great either.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive heard good things about somnidren too

however I think tea would be really cool since its natural.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ive usede teh slumber stack before its very solid! the tea lasts a long time too, best part for me is the Sleepscent

UKStrength

My personal choice would be LipoTrophin PM or the Slumber Stack by Primordial Performance, the latter being even better if you like tea :)

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Since I am only 21, should I even be using products with gh boosters in them even if they are 'natural' Wouldn't using these at a younger age force my body to become more dependent on them to produce good amounts of gh's in the future? Im talking about like whats in products like zmk and animal pm..?

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
My personal choice would be LipoTrophin PM or the Slumber Stack by Primordial Performance, the latter being even better if you like tea :)
Slumber stack is surprisingly potent. Nice if they'd sell the tea separately (its cheap) and I've got loads of those "metal tea bags". Can't you cut 'em out and reduce the cost?

The thing about "ST" is that the oil lasts ages (or seems to) not the tea.

I've never run it for 2 weeks straight but said to hit max. potency then.

Recommended.

IBE's X-dreams is very Xcellent

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Yes you are fine. Cycle all sleep supplements for max. effect. Like for 8 weeks or so. Not critical but keeps 'em fresh. Stuff like X-dreams stay on it for ages.

Since I am only 21, should I even be using products with gh boosters in them even if they are 'natural' Wouldn't using these at a younger age force my body to become more dependent on them to produce good amounts of gh's in the future? Im talking about like whats in products like zmk and animal pm..?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Yes you are fine. Cycle all sleep supplements for max. effect. Like for 8 weeks or so. Not critical but keeps 'em fresh. Stuff like X-dreams stay on it for ages.
What's your advice on 1-carboxy?

killamac27

killamac27

Awards
Tried that animal pm for a few days this is how it went. Day 1: 45 mins to fall asleep. Slept throughout enitre night. Day 2: 1 Hour to fall asleep, slept throughout entire night. Day 3: 6 hours to fall asleep. Crappy sleep. For the first two days once I was able to get to sleep I slept good. It just doesn't really put you to sleep. I don't know what happened last night but I wanted to jump off my balcony. Going to retire animal pm and try what Trauma1 was talking about above. Unisom sleep tabs.

BigBeazy

BigBeazy

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
KILLAMAC, if none of the above work, try Phenibut. Nutraplanet sells it in bulk powder. Many people use this as a sleep aid/for relaxing.

Additionally, make sure you are not consuming caffeine within 6 hours of going to sleep. Even if I have one diet coke at 6PM, I cannot fall asleep till 1AM and it's usually a pretty crappy sleep.