Too many supplements DAILY - AnabolicMinds.com

Too many supplements DAILY

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Too many supplements DAILY

Anyone else feel like they have convinced themself they "need" to take 15-20 different supps a day?

My cabinets are FULL of crap I feel I just can't live without.

****Should it be of concern that taking TOO MANY supps place an undue stress on the kidneys or liver (no prohormone use, just basic supps we discuss omn these forums regularly)

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Anyone else feel like they have convinced themself they "need" to take 15-20 different supps a day?

My cabinets are FULL of crap I feel I just can't live without.

****Should it be of concern that taking TOO MANY supps place an undue stress on the kidneys or liver (no prohormone use, just basic supps we discuss omn these forums regularly)
    Lets see the list of "staples"

Only thing i take EVERYDAY is protein.

Or if Im running a stack of some sort that requires daily use.

I take a day break from all staples except protein, usually sunday.

3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

multi vit/mineral (2 caps TOTAL)
    cal/mag (6 caps TOTAL)
    powerFULL (3 caps TOTAL)
    milk thistle (2 caps TOTAL)
    NAC (2 caps TOTAL)
    NO2 by AxisLAbs (3 caps TOTAL)
    NOW brand Prostate Formula (4 caps TOTAL)
    NOW brand Fish Oil (6 caps TOTAL)
    NOW brand Probiotics (2 caps TOTAL)
    Resveratrol (3 caps TOTAL)
    CoQ10 (2 caps TOTAL)
    ZMA (2 caps TOTAL)
    CIssusRx (4 caps TOTAL)
    Joint Support (4 caps TOTAL)
    Green Tea Caps (3 caps TOTAL)
    Anti-Cort Supp (3 caps TOTAL)
    Re-Set AD (2 caps TOTAL)
    Sesamin (4 caps TOTAL)
    ALCAR (2 caps TOTAL)

OVER 60 caps per day!!!!

BCAA Powder
    Creatine Powder
    Greens Powder
    TMG powder
    Phospho Choline Powder
    DIM Powder
    IP-6 Powder
    PLCAR Powder
    Taurine Powder

•   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Answers

i feel that way i take so much $hit every day
    twin labs duel tab
    coq10
    vit b comp.
    vit d
    geen tea caps
    phenylethylamine
    creatine caps
    l-caritine
    glutamine
    zma
    white flood
    whey
    bcaa
    amino fuel
    t-bol
    l-dopa
    xtend
    fish oil
    and thats off cycle

5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Unhappy

What's the total number of caps bro??? Thanks

I can't help but wonder that OUR lists are a bit much on the body and put a strain on the kidney/liver to filter/break-down all this crap.

Cant be good for the kidney/liver. Can anyone knowledgeable expand on this theory of mine!??!

Quote Originally Posted by wedlund6 View Post
    i feel that way i take so much $hit every day
    twin labs duel tab
    coq10
    vit b comp.
    vit d
    geen tea caps
    phenylethylamine
    creatine caps
    l-caritine
    glutamine
    zma
    white flood
    whey
    bcaa
    amino fuel
    t-bol
    l-dopa
    xtend
    fish oil
    and thats off cycle

6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Answers

42 caps on most days cardio days i take 46.

7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Here's where I would start with the 1st list posted, take each item and next to it, write down the benefit of it/why you are taking it.

You may find several overlaps in there.

8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I have often thought the exact same thing. Each supplement has it's specific benefit, yet is this causing more harm than good?

Morning shake:
    40g whey
    5g creatine
    5g glutamine
    2g ALCAR
    2g supersap (usp)
    1/2 scoop multi-vit (powdered version)
    2g super cissus
    2g maca

Throughout the day:
    5-7g fish oil
    4 tabs dth
    2-4 caps grape seed extract
    50mg coq10
    2 acai berry
    5g creatine
    5g glutamine
    1 aspirin
    2g maca
    2g supersap (usp)
    More whey
    P-slin (post-workout only)
    Refresh (usp)
    domin ATP (workout days)

9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Answers

multi vit/mineral (2 caps TOTAL)
    cal/mag (6 caps TOTAL)
    powerFULL (3 caps TOTAL)
    milk thistle (2 caps TOTAL)
    NAC (2 caps TOTAL)
    NO2 by AxisLAbs (3 caps TOTAL)
    NOW brand Prostate Formula (4 caps TOTAL)
    NOW brand Fish Oil (6 caps TOTAL)
    NOW brand Probiotics (2 caps TOTAL)
    Resveratrol (3 caps TOTAL)
    CoQ10 (2 caps TOTAL)
    ZMA (2 caps TOTAL)
    CIssusRx (4 caps TOTAL)
    Joint Support (4 caps TOTAL)
    Green Tea Caps (3 caps TOTAL)
    Anti-Cort Supp (3 caps TOTAL)
    Re-Set AD (2 caps TOTAL)
    Sesamin (4 caps TOTAL)
    ALCAR (2 caps TOTAL)

OVER 60 caps per day!!!!

BCAA Powder
    Creatine Powder
    Greens Powder
    TMG powder
    Phospho Choline Powder
    DIM Powder
    IP-6 Powder
    PLCAR Powder
    Taurine Powder

I see many things here that you can get by not taking unless you have a medical condition that says otherwise
    Just because supplementing a certain vit or mineral is good for you, doesn't mean its logical and/or beneficial.

10. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Oh how did humanity ever survive without supplements?

Try getting off all that **** for a month, drink a green shake or something in the morning and modify your diet. See how you feel in a month.

I did it, and loved the changes. Now I have slowly incorporated only healthier supplements... you do not need all that ****... most likely you are just pissing hundreds of dollar out of your tally wacker every year.
    The Historic PES Legend

11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I tend to cycle everything to do with supps except Whey and a good multi(even though im horrible about buying a new bottle when one runs out)

Hardknock had an excellent suggestion and i would further suggest write down ur goals and supplement accordingly.

When you want to bulk up....cut down...recomp...increase strength...increase stamina...all of these goals you can design ur diet and supplementation accordingly.

But I also suggest this which i do occasionally....drop all supplementation beyond diet and whey for a month or two. Then slowly add in supplementation slowly and cycle diff things so they remain effective. The 1-2 months off is good for your body and your wallet.

My list of supps currently(before starting this i took 3-4 weeks and didnt use any supps):

Whey
    Prime
    SuperSaponins
    1-Carboxy
    Anabolic Pump
    PSlin(3 times a week on lift days)
    Ultra Cordygen V02 (3 days a week on cardio days)
    Adrenalean (no more then 2 caps a day 6 days a week)
    SuperCissus RX
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as/IS NOT medical advice. All workout programs/protocols, diets,
    and/or supplementation NEEDS to be discussed with the appropriate medical professional. Consult your doctor about any health concerns you may have.

12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Oh how did humanity ever survive without supplements?

Try getting off all that **** for a month, drink a green shake or something in the morning and modify your diet. See how you feel in a month.

I did it, and loved the changes. Now I have slowly incorporated only healthier supplements... you do not need all that ****... most likely you are just pissing hundreds of dollar out of your tally wacker every year.
    I agree for the most part.

I just take smaller breaks more often.

I dont have near the number of supplements going to my gullet though.

My workout days have the most supplements for obvious reasons.

13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks and I agree on some of the advice offered here.

Anyone wish to intelligently reply to the following.......
    I can't help but wonder that OUR lists are a bit much on the body and put a strain on the kidney/liver to filter/break-down all this crap.

Cant be good for the kidney/liver. Can anyone knowledgeable expand on this theory of mine!??!

14. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Thanks and I agree on some of the advice offered here.

Anyone wish to intelligently reply to the following.......
    Can't really give a end all be all answer to that question. Point out a compound, and you can find if it puts any undue stress.

In the long run, yes, if your liver/kidneys must process it, it will get stressed to some degree.
    The Historic PES Legend

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Answers

What's the total number of caps bro??? Thanks

Talk about coincidence... T-Nation's latest interview with Paul Chek says exactly this, i think it was put up this week too.

16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Its all about cycling.

If it wasn't for historical British commercial interests there would be a little known supplement made from the tip leaves of bushy plants, which must be harmful because it contains caffeine. Anyone taking that as a supplement must be doing themselves an injury, seriously. Yet green tea has a global reputation for health.

You can argue the same for Fo-Ti - the British could have got that growing in India (and the world would be a healthier place), Chinese foxglove, ginseng - there food, just not the food we normally eat. Liver caps are the same - its food.

Some supps (vit D and K) have suddenly become very fashionable, vit D being medically prescribed.

Personally I cycle through a fairly big stack - but taking the 'food' component out - its not that big. Compared to the junk food diet I use to have - which caused borderline high cholesterol ...

Oh I'm really into Orange Triad as a multi-vit right now.

17. Professional Member
    Answers

Hmmm, stressed, not sure if thats exactly the term I would have used, but certainly DAdams91982 is correct in his logic, and processing more "stuff" will probably have the liver in high gear at the least. I always recommend taking time off 'everything', breaks as was posted a couple of times already, just consider it like a sorta detox, cleansing or flushing the system, getting everything out.
    PHF Anabolic Trinity Epistane, Trenavar, and Mentabolan - Available Now!!
    Celtic Labs-Trestobol, HaloMass, Celitren, Ostabal and more Available Now!!
    PHF Rep/Celtic labs

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Detox ... and regular blood work.

Important supplement: 1 US gallon of water per day... (I often fail).

Maybe we are waging war against the "scary unknown". A known stress point is excess protein on the kidneys. Thats a problem because if you ease on protein consumption then you lose muscle.

19. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Food sucks compared to supplements, when comparing the benefits and the nutritional value from either. I mean, one serving of a supplement can equal to the effect that will take you years to achieve through the use of food. Not saying that getting all this stuff from food is bad or anything, maybe even healthier...But honestly, the average age expectancy is like ~100, if you are lucky. That is not enough time to wait around waiting for your body get all your vitamins and ****s from vegetables and meats.

That is sort of like saying, should you wait until you feel more awake or take a cup of coffee. Let's clarify, say you are at work and your attention is vital...Yeaaah...Supplement > Natural

I am still fairly a noob with supplements, so my opinions lack any information to back it up, but I have been eating a healthy diet for the past ~20, and even now I feel as though supplements put me to a level that has been incomparable to my life so far. I mean, I just feel so awake and so refreshed, bullet-proof health. Not saying it was that much worse sans-supplements, but apparently all that food can only give you so much.

I mean, have you seen the % daily use on some of these supplements, especially the ones exceeding the 100s, I mean damn, let's see food try to do that. It is almost like we are essentially home-brewing a super[wo]man, damn!

I say, life is short, take your supplements. We don't have time to sit around and wait for the body to naturally take in all the stuff it needs, we need our work, education, etc. No time to sit around and stuff our faces, we need to keep running, keep reaching our true potential, doing the best mother****ing job we can do!!! And supplements are there to help!!! To help us succeed!!!

But seriously, just research the supplements you currently take and make sure there are no conflicts happening and just be careful and follow the directions, be smart. And remember to take it easy with the stimulants, because those do make your heart working harder than usual, just be careful.
    Message to Bobo:... Install a FacePalm smiley!
    The Historic PES Legend

20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Noot if you honestly think a supplement is more valuable then a staple then you have obviosly misinterpreted the meaning of the word "supplement"

A supplement is only beneficial if you have the proper base to build it on. Your way of thinking is comparable to trying to build a 6 layer cake with frosting alone, it will either collapse or be a giant pile of mush.

NO professional athlete in any sport would ever agree to the train of thought that supplements are more valuable then food. No powerlifter, no bodybuilder, no football player, etc.... Supplement rely on diet...but diet does not rely on supplements therefore to focus on supplementation over diet will inevitably lead to a plateau you will not be able to over come.

Even those who are androgenically enhanced FOCUS on their diet to yeild maximal gains. Walk up to ronnie coleman...jay cutler....branch warren and tell them that gear and supps are more important then diet. Actually dont b/c they may slap you.

I am not trying to be confrontational or call you stupid...but I will call you out in spreading something that is blantantly wrong. Diet, rest, routine, mental state, emotional drive, and advanced familiarity with ones body are all more important then any supplement. Once one has gotten a hold of these things then you can see amazing gains in adding supplements.

If you dont know how to train without supplements then you dont know how to train.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything that I post on this forum should not be taken as/IS NOT medical advice. All workout programs/protocols, diets,
    and/or supplementation NEEDS to be discussed with the appropriate medical professional. Consult your doctor about any health concerns you may have.

21. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardOrGoHme View Post
    Noot if you honestly think a supplement is more valuable then a staple then you have obviosly misinterpreted the meaning of the word "supplement"

A supplement is only beneficial if you have the proper base to build it on. Your way of thinking is comparable to trying to build a 6 layer cake with frosting alone, it will either collapse or be a giant pile of mush.

NO professional athlete in any sport would ever agree to the train of thought that supplements are more valuable then food. No powerlifter, no bodybuilder, no football player, etc.... Supplement rely on diet...but diet does not rely on supplements therefore to focus on supplementation over diet will inevitably lead to a plateau you will not be able to over come.

Even those who are androgenically enhanced FOCUS on their diet to yeild maximal gains. Walk up to ronnie coleman...jay cutler....branch warren and tell them that gear and supps are more important then diet. Actually dont b/c they may slap you.

I am not trying to be confrontational or call you stupid...but I will call you out in spreading something that is blantantly wrong. Diet, rest, routine, mental state, emotional drive, and advanced familiarity with ones body are all more important then any supplement. Once one has gotten a hold of these things then you can see amazing gains in adding supplements.

If you dont know how to train without supplements then you dont know how to train.
    So I assume you are calling for seconds on the FacePalm smiley?
    The Historic PES Legend

22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  215 lbs.
    Answers

So I assume you are calling for seconds on the FacePalm smiley?

Yes Sir may i have another? haha

23. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I remember using the old Activate betas (20 caps/day) and it was such a pain in the ass. I don't see how anyone can use that many supplements on a consistent basis. Right now, I'm just using fish/krill oil and sesamin. It's much nicer to only take 12 caps per day (6 caps fish, 4 caps krill, 2 caps sesamin) than to be taking these on top of some various supplements to help out with _________.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Take te things that belong in the human diet(vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids) and drop the other stuff. If you whant, try reintroducing things one at a time.......................... .............................. .............................. .............................. .................resveratrol made my joints hurt.

25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    Take te things that belong in the human diet(vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids) and drop the other stuff. If you whant, try reintroducing things one at a time.......................... .............................. .............................. .............................. .................resveratrol made my joints hurt.
    Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory effects. While using stoked my joints feel fine. Are you sure it was not something else?

Supplements have their place. it is important to cycle them in my opinion.

example say I want some strength on a calorie surplus diet
    creatine, beta alanine, bcaa's,

(btw Multi,joint support,protein powder,fish oil is always a staple sometimes Ill take 6 grams for a few weeks a day sometimes 10)

say I am on calorie restriction
    Lean xtreme,glycobol, sesamin, glutamine peptides

Word of caution make sure the diet is right first by counting calories. Supplements do help a lot. I could go other supplements like sleep supplements, alcar, piracetam. I am big believer in cycling supplements and never taking one for too long.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness

26. New Member
    Answers

i have too much to list, but the things i take daily are:
    - NoXidant
    - Protein
    - Fish oils
    - LCLT
    - Brewer's yeast

27. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Food sucks compared to supplements,
    I have no idea what you wrote beyond this point but my assumption is that it wasn't much.

28. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Answers

I can't just let this one go, I must, no I can't.

Noot, were you serious? When I say serious, I mean as in you just had sex for the first time serious?

You were probably just typing from your cell phone and got the keys mixed up bro'. No harm no foul ... I understand. Happens to me all "da tyme" ....see just happened.

29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Answers

He was being sarcastic.

30. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Answers

[QUOTE=smeton_yea;2303599]Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory effects. While using stoked my joints feel fine. Are you sure it was not something else? [QUOTE]

I might try it again someday, but I'm not the first person to report joint pain on resV. Estrogen is good for the joints.

31. Board Sponsor
    Answers

[quote=kingdong;2303879][QUOTE=smeton_yea;2303599]Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory effects. While using stoked my joints feel fine. Are you sure it was not something else?

I might try it again someday, but I'm not the first person to report joint pain on resV. Estrogen is good for the joints.
    Please refresh my memory. I haven't seen a study showing anti estrogenic effects, only that Res provides some SERM like effects. This should have no baring on joints as it doesn't really lower estrogen, just compete at selective receptors for it.

I could be wrong, so if someone has other info, plese drop some knowledge.
    The Historic PES Legend

32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Answers

[quote=DAdams91982;2303893][quote=kingdong;2303879]
    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory effects. While using stoked my joints feel fine. Are you sure it was not something else?

Please refresh my memory. I haven't seen a study showing anti estrogenic effects, only that Res provides some SERM like effects. This should have no baring on joints as it doesn't really lower estrogen, just compete at selective receptors for it.

I could be wrong, so if someone has other info, plese drop some knowledge.
    I always thought it was supposed to be antiaromataze, but I might be wrong. Either way, if you just google "resveratrol joint pain" a lot of people swear this problem exist.

33. Board Sponsor
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kingdong View Post
    I always thought it was supposed to be antiaromataze, but I might be wrong. Either way, if you just google "resveratrol joint pain" a lot of people swear this problem exist.
    Not denying it... the only thing I read was from PA stating the SERM like effects. I will have to do some more research.
    The Historic PES Legend

34. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Not denying it... the only thing I read was from PA stating the SERM like effects. I will have to do some more research.
    I ran a quick MedLine search to see if there was a study on Resveratrol and corticosteroids, but no such luck.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

You dont feel like youre missing out on anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I remember using the old Activate betas (20 caps/day) and it was such a pain in the ass. I don't see how anyone can use that many supplements on a consistent basis. Right now, I'm just using fish/krill oil and sesamin. It's much nicer to only take 12 caps per day (6 caps fish, 4 caps krill, 2 caps sesamin) than to be taking these on top of some various supplements to help out with _________.

36. Board Sponsor
    Answers

You dont feel like youre missing out on anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc
    Why would he be? The body can only absorb so much at a time, and a well thought out diet can take care of everything your body can handle.

Geting enough veggies and meats and you have all the Anti Ox, Vitamins, and Minerals you can handle... anything excessive is only pissed out.
    The Historic PES Legend

37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Found it - thank you

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._paul_chek&cr=

Quote Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
    Talk about coincidence... T-Nation's latest interview with Paul Chek says exactly this, i think it was put up this week too.

38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.
    Answers

I see the vitamin D3 fans putting it ahead of the multivitamin. What kind of dosages do you guys use?

39. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I ran a quick MedLine search to see if there was a study on Resveratrol and corticosteroids, but no such luck.
    all that "resveratrol - the next panacea to age prevention" is pure speculation. how would scientists be able to determine whether or not a single compound can prevent aging, let alone follow any of the test subjects in a longitudinal study? it's like leaving 'n' out of an algebraic equation and having only 'x' in there. you can't ignore the other variables.

the purported health benefits of red wine are the culprits, no doubt. but people often forget that most of the foods act in synergy with each other.

40. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I have read too many studies arguing against any discernable benefits from an oral bioavailability perspective to fully believe in the oral version. JMHO

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My " Daily " supplements during a cut
    By verickin07 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
  2. Rpm Max Daily Dosage?
    By Ubiyca in forum Supplements
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
  3. Daily support supplements. Please review!
    By andros in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
  4. Daily Fun!
    By Rhinoman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 12:31 AM