Too many supplements DAILY

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone else feel like they have convinced themself they "need" to take 15-20 different supps a day? :(

My cabinets are FULL of crap I feel I just can't live without.

****Should it be of concern that taking TOO MANY supps place an undue stress on the kidneys or liver (no prohormone use, just basic supps we discuss omn these forums regularly)

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Anyone else feel like they have convinced themself they "need" to take 15-20 different supps a day? :(

My cabinets are FULL of crap I feel I just can't live without.

****Should it be of concern that taking TOO MANY supps place an undue stress on the kidneys or liver (no prohormone use, just basic supps we discuss omn these forums regularly)
Lets see the list of "staples"

Only thing i take EVERYDAY is protein.

Or if Im running a stack of some sort that requires daily use.

I take a day break from all staples except protein, usually sunday.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
multi vit/mineral (2 caps TOTAL)
cal/mag (6 caps TOTAL)
powerFULL (3 caps TOTAL)
milk thistle (2 caps TOTAL)
NAC (2 caps TOTAL)
NO2 by AxisLAbs (3 caps TOTAL)
NOW brand Prostate Formula (4 caps TOTAL)
NOW brand Fish Oil (6 caps TOTAL)
NOW brand Probiotics (2 caps TOTAL)
Resveratrol (3 caps TOTAL)
CoQ10 (2 caps TOTAL)
ZMA (2 caps TOTAL)
CIssusRx (4 caps TOTAL)
Joint Support (4 caps TOTAL)
Green Tea Caps (3 caps TOTAL)
Anti-Cort Supp (3 caps TOTAL)
Re-Set AD (2 caps TOTAL)
Sesamin (4 caps TOTAL)
ALCAR (2 caps TOTAL)

OVER 60 caps per day!!!!

BCAA Powder
Creatine Powder
Greens Powder
TMG powder
Phospho Choline Powder
DIM Powder
IP-6 Powder
PLCAR Powder
Taurine Powder

:(

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i feel that way i take so much $hit every day
twin labs duel tab
coq10
vit b comp.
vit d
geen tea caps
phenylethylamine
creatine caps
l-caritine
glutamine
zma
white flood
whey
bcaa
amino fuel
t-bol
l-dopa
xtend
fish oil
and thats off cycle

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's the total number of caps bro??? Thanks

I can't help but wonder that OUR lists are a bit much on the body and put a strain on the kidney/liver to filter/break-down all this crap.

Cant be good for the kidney/liver. Can anyone knowledgeable expand on this theory of mine!??!

i feel that way i take so much $hit every day
twin labs duel tab
coq10
vit b comp.
vit d
geen tea caps
phenylethylamine
creatine caps
l-caritine
glutamine
zma
white flood
whey
bcaa
amino fuel
t-bol
l-dopa
xtend
fish oil
and thats off cycle

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
42 caps on most days cardio days i take 46.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Here's where I would start with the 1st list posted, take each item and next to it, write down the benefit of it/why you are taking it.

You may find several overlaps in there.

crewchief182

crewchief182

Awards
I have often thought the exact same thing. Each supplement has it's specific benefit, yet is this causing more harm than good?

Morning shake:
40g whey
5g creatine
5g glutamine
2g ALCAR
2g supersap (usp)
1/2 scoop multi-vit (powdered version)
2g super cissus
2g maca

Throughout the day:
5-7g fish oil
4 tabs dth
2-4 caps grape seed extract
50mg coq10
2 acai berry
5g creatine
5g glutamine
1 aspirin
2g maca
2g supersap (usp)
More whey
P-slin (post-workout only)
Refresh (usp)
domin ATP (workout days)

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
multi vit/mineral (2 caps TOTAL)
cal/mag (6 caps TOTAL)
powerFULL (3 caps TOTAL)
milk thistle (2 caps TOTAL)
NAC (2 caps TOTAL)
NO2 by AxisLAbs (3 caps TOTAL)
NOW brand Prostate Formula (4 caps TOTAL)
NOW brand Fish Oil (6 caps TOTAL)
NOW brand Probiotics (2 caps TOTAL)
Resveratrol (3 caps TOTAL)
CoQ10 (2 caps TOTAL)
ZMA (2 caps TOTAL)
CIssusRx (4 caps TOTAL)
Joint Support (4 caps TOTAL)
Green Tea Caps (3 caps TOTAL)
Anti-Cort Supp (3 caps TOTAL)
Re-Set AD (2 caps TOTAL)
Sesamin (4 caps TOTAL)
ALCAR (2 caps TOTAL)

OVER 60 caps per day!!!!

BCAA Powder
Creatine Powder
Greens Powder
TMG powder
Phospho Choline Powder
DIM Powder
IP-6 Powder
PLCAR Powder
Taurine Powder

:(
I see many things here that you can get by not taking unless you have a medical condition that says otherwise
Just because supplementing a certain vit or mineral is good for you, doesn't mean its logical and/or beneficial.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh how did humanity ever survive without supplements?

Try getting off all that **** for a month, drink a green shake or something in the morning and modify your diet. See how you feel in a month.

I did it, and loved the changes. Now I have slowly incorporated only healthier supplements... you do not need all that ****... most likely you are just pissing hundreds of dollar out of your tally wacker every year.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I tend to cycle everything to do with supps except Whey and a good multi(even though im horrible about buying a new bottle when one runs out)

Hardknock had an excellent suggestion and i would further suggest write down ur goals and supplement accordingly.

When you want to bulk up....cut down...recomp...increase strength...increase stamina...all of these goals you can design ur diet and supplementation accordingly.

But I also suggest this which i do occasionally....drop all supplementation beyond diet and whey for a month or two. Then slowly add in supplementation slowly and cycle diff things so they remain effective. The 1-2 months off is good for your body and your wallet.

My list of supps currently(before starting this i took 3-4 weeks and didnt use any supps):

Whey
Prime
SuperSaponins
1-Carboxy
Anabolic Pump
PSlin(3 times a week on lift days)
Ultra Cordygen V02 (3 days a week on cardio days)
Adrenalean (no more then 2 caps a day 6 days a week)
SuperCissus RX

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Oh how did humanity ever survive without supplements?

Try getting off all that **** for a month, drink a green shake or something in the morning and modify your diet. See how you feel in a month.

I did it, and loved the changes. Now I have slowly incorporated only healthier supplements... you do not need all that ****... most likely you are just pissing hundreds of dollar out of your tally wacker every year.
I agree for the most part.

I just take smaller breaks more often.

I dont have near the number of supplements going to my gullet though.

My workout days have the most supplements for obvious reasons.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks and I agree on some of the advice offered here.

Anyone wish to intelligently reply to the following.......
I can't help but wonder that OUR lists are a bit much on the body and put a strain on the kidney/liver to filter/break-down all this crap.

Cant be good for the kidney/liver. Can anyone knowledgeable expand on this theory of mine!??!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks and I agree on some of the advice offered here.

Anyone wish to intelligently reply to the following.......
Can't really give a end all be all answer to that question. Point out a compound, and you can find if it puts any undue stress.

In the long run, yes, if your liver/kidneys must process it, it will get stressed to some degree.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
What's the total number of caps bro??? Thanks

Talk about coincidence... T-Nation's latest interview with Paul Chek says exactly this, i think it was put up this week too.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Its all about cycling.

If it wasn't for historical British commercial interests there would be a little known supplement made from the tip leaves of bushy plants, which must be harmful because it contains caffeine. Anyone taking that as a supplement must be doing themselves an injury, seriously. Yet green tea has a global reputation for health.

You can argue the same for Fo-Ti - the British could have got that growing in India (and the world would be a healthier place), Chinese foxglove, ginseng - there food, just not the food we normally eat. Liver caps are the same - its food.

Some supps (vit D and K) have suddenly become very fashionable, vit D being medically prescribed.

Personally I cycle through a fairly big stack - but taking the 'food' component out - its not that big. Compared to the junk food diet I use to have - which caused borderline high cholesterol ...

Oh I'm really into Orange Triad as a multi-vit right now.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm, stressed, not sure if thats exactly the term I would have used, but certainly DAdams91982 is correct in his logic, and processing more "stuff" will probably have the liver in high gear at the least. I always recommend taking time off 'everything', breaks as was posted a couple of times already, just consider it like a sorta detox, cleansing or flushing the system, getting everything out.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Detox ... and regular blood work.

Important supplement: 1 US gallon of water per day... (I often fail).

Maybe we are waging war against the "scary unknown". A known stress point is excess protein on the kidneys. Thats a problem because if you ease on protein consumption then you lose muscle.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Food sucks compared to supplements, when comparing the benefits and the nutritional value from either. I mean, one serving of a supplement can equal to the effect that will take you years to achieve through the use of food. Not saying that getting all this stuff from food is bad or anything, maybe even healthier...But honestly, the average age expectancy is like ~100, if you are lucky. That is not enough time to wait around waiting for your body get all your vitamins and ****s from vegetables and meats.

That is sort of like saying, should you wait until you feel more awake or take a cup of coffee. Let's clarify, say you are at work and your attention is vital...Yeaaah...Supplement > Natural

I am still fairly a noob with supplements, so my opinions lack any information to back it up, but I have been eating a healthy diet for the past ~20, and even now I feel as though supplements put me to a level that has been incomparable to my life so far. I mean, I just feel so awake and so refreshed, bullet-proof health. Not saying it was that much worse sans-supplements, but apparently all that food can only give you so much.

I mean, have you seen the % daily use on some of these supplements, especially the ones exceeding the 100s, I mean damn, let's see food try to do that. It is almost like we are essentially home-brewing a super[wo]man, damn!

I say, life is short, take your supplements. We don't have time to sit around and wait for the body to naturally take in all the stuff it needs, we need our work, education, etc. No time to sit around and stuff our faces, we need to keep running, keep reaching our true potential, doing the best mother****ing job we can do!!! And supplements are there to help!!! To help us succeed!!!

But seriously, just research the supplements you currently take and make sure there are no conflicts happening and just be careful and follow the directions, be smart. And remember to take it easy with the stimulants, because those do make your heart working harder than usual, just be careful. :)
Message to Bobo:... Install a FacePalm smiley!

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Noot if you honestly think a supplement is more valuable then a staple then you have obviosly misinterpreted the meaning of the word "supplement"

A supplement is only beneficial if you have the proper base to build it on. Your way of thinking is comparable to trying to build a 6 layer cake with frosting alone, it will either collapse or be a giant pile of mush.

NO professional athlete in any sport would ever agree to the train of thought that supplements are more valuable then food. No powerlifter, no bodybuilder, no football player, etc.... Supplement rely on diet...but diet does not rely on supplements therefore to focus on supplementation over diet will inevitably lead to a plateau you will not be able to over come.

Even those who are androgenically enhanced FOCUS on their diet to yeild maximal gains. Walk up to ronnie coleman...jay cutler....branch warren and tell them that gear and supps are more important then diet. Actually dont b/c they may slap you.

I am not trying to be confrontational or call you stupid...but I will call you out in spreading something that is blantantly wrong. Diet, rest, routine, mental state, emotional drive, and advanced familiarity with ones body are all more important then any supplement. Once one has gotten a hold of these things then you can see amazing gains in adding supplements.

If you dont know how to train without supplements then you dont know how to train.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Noot if you honestly think a supplement is more valuable then a staple then you have obviosly misinterpreted the meaning of the word "supplement"

A supplement is only beneficial if you have the proper base to build it on. Your way of thinking is comparable to trying to build a 6 layer cake with frosting alone, it will either collapse or be a giant pile of mush.

NO professional athlete in any sport would ever agree to the train of thought that supplements are more valuable then food. No powerlifter, no bodybuilder, no football player, etc.... Supplement rely on diet...but diet does not rely on supplements therefore to focus on supplementation over diet will inevitably lead to a plateau you will not be able to over come.

Even those who are androgenically enhanced FOCUS on their diet to yeild maximal gains. Walk up to ronnie coleman...jay cutler....branch warren and tell them that gear and supps are more important then diet. Actually dont b/c they may slap you.

I am not trying to be confrontational or call you stupid...but I will call you out in spreading something that is blantantly wrong. Diet, rest, routine, mental state, emotional drive, and advanced familiarity with ones body are all more important then any supplement. Once one has gotten a hold of these things then you can see amazing gains in adding supplements.

If you dont know how to train without supplements then you dont know how to train.
So I assume you are calling for seconds on the FacePalm smiley? :trout:

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember using the old Activate betas (20 caps/day) and it was such a pain in the ass. I don't see how anyone can use that many supplements on a consistent basis. Right now, I'm just using fish/krill oil and sesamin. It's much nicer to only take 12 caps per day (6 caps fish, 4 caps krill, 2 caps sesamin) than to be taking these on top of some various supplements to help out with _________.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Take te things that belong in the human diet(vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids) and drop the other stuff. If you whant, try reintroducing things one at a time.....................................................................................................................................resveratrol made my joints hurt.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take te things that belong in the human diet(vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids) and drop the other stuff. If you whant, try reintroducing things one at a time.....................................................................................................................................resveratrol made my joints hurt.
Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory effects. While using stoked my joints feel fine. Are you sure it was not something else?

Supplements have their place. it is important to cycle them in my opinion.

example say I want some strength on a calorie surplus diet
creatine, beta alanine, bcaa's,

(btw Multi,joint support,protein powder,fish oil is always a staple sometimes Ill take 6 grams for a few weeks a day sometimes 10)

say I am on calorie restriction
Lean xtreme,glycobol, sesamin, glutamine peptides

Word of caution make sure the diet is right first by counting calories. Supplements do help a lot. I could go other supplements like sleep supplements, alcar, piracetam. I am big believer in cycling supplements and never taking one for too long.

davidl351

Awards
i have too much to list, but the things i take daily are:
- NoXidant
- Protein
- Fish oils
- LCLT
- Brewer's yeast

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Food sucks compared to supplements,
I have no idea what you wrote beyond this point but my assumption is that it wasn't much.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I can't just let this one go, I must, no I can't.

Noot, were you serious? When I say serious, I mean as in you just had sex for the first time serious?

You were probably just typing from your cell phone and got the keys mixed up bro'. No harm no foul ... I understand. Happens to me all "da tyme" ....see just happened.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory effects. While using stoked my joints feel fine. Are you sure it was not something else?
I might try it again someday, but I'm not the first person to report joint pain on resV. Estrogen is good for the joints.
Please refresh my memory. I haven't seen a study showing anti estrogenic effects, only that Res provides some SERM like effects. This should have no baring on joints as it doesn't really lower estrogen, just compete at selective receptors for it.

I could be wrong, so if someone has other info, plese drop some knowledge.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established

Please refresh my memory. I haven't seen a study showing anti estrogenic effects, only that Res provides some SERM like effects. This should have no baring on joints as it doesn't really lower estrogen, just compete at selective receptors for it.

I could be wrong, so if someone has other info, plese drop some knowledge.
I always thought it was supposed to be antiaromataze, but I might be wrong. Either way, if you just google "resveratrol joint pain" a lot of people swear this problem exist.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always thought it was supposed to be antiaromataze, but I might be wrong. Either way, if you just google "resveratrol joint pain" a lot of people swear this problem exist.
Not denying it... the only thing I read was from PA stating the SERM like effects. I will have to do some more research.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not denying it... the only thing I read was from PA stating the SERM like effects. I will have to do some more research.
I ran a quick MedLine search to see if there was a study on Resveratrol and corticosteroids, but no such luck.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You dont feel like youre missing out on anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc

I remember using the old Activate betas (20 caps/day) and it was such a pain in the ass. I don't see how anyone can use that many supplements on a consistent basis. Right now, I'm just using fish/krill oil and sesamin. It's much nicer to only take 12 caps per day (6 caps fish, 4 caps krill, 2 caps sesamin) than to be taking these on top of some various supplements to help out with _________.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why would he be? The body can only absorb so much at a time, and a well thought out diet can take care of everything your body can handle.

Geting enough veggies and meats and you have all the Anti Ox, Vitamins, and Minerals you can handle... anything excessive is only pissed out.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I see the vitamin D3 fans putting it ahead of the multivitamin. What kind of dosages do you guys use?

davidl351

Awards
I ran a quick MedLine search to see if there was a study on Resveratrol and corticosteroids, but no such luck.
all that "resveratrol - the next panacea to age prevention" is pure speculation. how would scientists be able to determine whether or not a single compound can prevent aging, let alone follow any of the test subjects in a longitudinal study? it's like leaving 'n' out of an algebraic equation and having only 'x' in there. you can't ignore the other variables.

the purported health benefits of red wine are the culprits, no doubt. but people often forget that most of the foods act in synergy with each other.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have read too many studies arguing against any discernable benefits from an oral bioavailability perspective to fully believe in the oral version. JMHO

bigshoulders

Awards
Am not sure if this was mentioned but you must take account of AMOUNT of the supplements you take.
Taking 20 supplements at minimally low amounts will be much safer than taking 5 at megadose amounts.
You got to know what you are taking, and think about the dose you are taking.
Don't take the recommended dose as gospel either...
Any thing that works should work at lower amounts. For example, vitamin C at 1000mg is only a little more effective than vitamin C at 100mg at a time.

I personally am a fan of taking lots of supplements, but I know what I'm taking, and I tend to err on the side of light doses. There is also only a few supplements that a take all the time, most I cycle in and out.

It is good to be careful though. You could be taking 20 supplments a day, and taking reasonable/healthy doses for 19 of them, but one supplement you are misinformed and are taking too much of, which is increasing the load on the kidneys/liver.

This is what I take for reference:
Creatine - 10g a day for 6 weeks, then 2 weeks off
Omega 3s - 2g a day
Vitamin D - 1000ius per day
MultiVitaminmineral - Half of a Ast-ss multi tab

Health:
Resveratrol - 250mg (lowish)
ALCAR - 500mg (lowish)
Green tea - 200mg a few times per week
Grapeseed Extract - one tablet
Ginger Extract - one tablet

Workout/Energy:
Caffeine - 100mg before workout (similar to one cup of coffee)
Citrulline Malate - 500mg before workout

Aminos:
BCAAs - 5g
Leucine - 2g
Glutamine - 3g
Taurine - 0.5g

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm a huge proponent of eating 5-7 servings of produce per day. I've analyzed my diet many, many times and my diet is very balanced and lacks nothing. If I'm training for a fight, I'll take extra supplements, but not everyday.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm a huge proponent of eating 5-7 servings of produce per day. I've analyzed my diet many, many times and my diet is very balanced and lacks nothing. If I'm training for a fight, I'll take extra supplements, but not everyday.
Blasphemy... you should be eating your meals in PILL FORM!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha ok ok

Doesnt eating in and of itself cause a judicious amount of free radical release and damage hence the need for more anti-ox?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha ok ok

Doesnt eating in and of itself cause a judicious amount of free radical release and damage hence the need for more anti-ox?
Being alive does this. Also, need and more are hugely vague and opinions will vary. For example, the amount of protein needed per day.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha ok ok

If you eat a few servings of Fruits and Veggies per day, you are well compensating for Anti-Ox. Also remember that to many Anti-Ox can hinder muscle gains (If that is what you are aiming for).

You can have to much of anything, and getting all fat daddy down on some pills isn't the way to overall health. Break it down to some basics and do the work in the gym... that is your best way to a long healthy life.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks peeps

davidl351

Awards
but, doesn't placebo help you live a longer life? i mean, it sure as heck does everything else.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
This whole antioxidant craze is funny. There are so many nutrients that the body can actually use, and I thinl people shoud focus more on consuming healthy amounts of those, than just excessive doses of some free radical fighter. People act like free radicals are the bain of human health, and they might age us, but I really don't think the best free radical figher will boost longevity or health that much.