Attack on supplements again

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got this email from a website I had ordered from in the past. Figured I'll pass the info along i'm sure some will find it interesting. I dont know all about the bill it is talking about gonna google it and try and find some more info on it exactly but here is the email I recieved

Please take 30 seconds and contact your rats in office
Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA <<<<<click there NOW

John McCain Files New Bill Attacking Your Access to Supplements

This Bill Would Repeal Key Sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act
Please Contact Your Senators Now to Tell Them Not to Co-sponsor This Exceptionally Bad Bill and Instead Help Us to Defeat It!

The Dietary Supplement Safety Act (DSSA) would repeal key sections of the Dietary Supplementnull Health and Education Act (DSHEA). It would give the FDA full discretion and power to compile a discreet list of supplements allowed to remain on the market while banning all others.

Everyone knows that the FDA is friendly to drug companies (which pay its bills and provide good revolving door jobs) and hostile to supplement companies. Under this bill, this same Agency could quite arbitrarily ban any supplement it wished or turn it over to drug companies to be developed as a drug and sold for multiples of its price as a supplement.

If McCain?s bill passes, we can look to Europe for a snapshot of what we may be in for: EFSA, the European Food Safety Authority, has sharply reduced the list of available supplements and is in process of reducing potencies to ridiculous levels, such as less beta carotene than can be found in half of a large carrot. Europeans already look to the US to obtain their dietary supplements. If this bill passes, where will we obtain ours?

Please take action immediately. Tell your senators NOT to co- sponsor the detrimental legislation and to do everything in their power to defeat it. Then forward this to your friends and family and ask then to do the same!

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the link, it's amazing what these grandstanding ****heads (regardless of party) will do to get attention and make people think they care about your health. Yet at the same time they are powerless to curtail illegal drugs from flooding the country and you can smoke and drink to your hearts content as long as you pay their taxes on those items. The only way things like this will not happen is if the supplement companies get together and pay some people off or if the supplements in question are used alot by senior citizens and they get pissed off. What a joke.

glockgod

glockgod

Awards
Its really just a matter of the government missing out on getting its hand on the profits.

Without a doubt cigarettes and alcohol are way more damaging then most supplements, yet both are legal only because of the millions of dollars in "kickbacks"...

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
I think we should be worrying about bigger issues such as obesity first, people who don't do anything about their health to begin with. And then we can worry about people taking supplements, essentially doing something about their health, afterward.

And what about attacking stuff like HFCS for a change, something that is put in everyday foods. Hmm?

But no, supplements are the issue. Yes, because people taking vitamin, minerals, plant extracts, etc. is the thing that is corrupting our population's health. Not the fast food and high-calorie Starbucks on every damn corner.

/angry pants

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you are missing one large point of contention-pharmaceutical company's make huge political contributions, even though the supplement industry is a 6billion dollar yearly industry, i doubt they donate much to political parties.:dunno:

remember the golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rules!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just think its amazing how they make it seem like they are soo concerned with our health and are gonna regulate and ban all these natural supplements and yet it is perfectly legal to sell geneticaly modified food and cloned meat and they dont have to label this cloned meat and how corn is subsidized and is in just about every damn food imaginable that and soy. I mean the amount of **** that goes on in the food industry and they are worried about my hawthorne berriy.. really?? What about the e.coli that continually finds it way into our food?? Nooo the hawthorne berry is much much more dangerous.

and bigt you couldnt be more right about the golden rule line. I gotta use that sometime :D

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Realistically not all the people wanting this bill are "Bad". What happens on capital hill is that a couple greedy bastardos lure in people with good hearts looking for a cause to take up. They then brainwash these people into hating something because of its "negatives" and thus they begin their attacks against an industry or whatnot, start popping bills, and labeling people aligned with said industry in a negative manner...

Democracy and Capitalism....oh yeeahz...

SokVichet

SokVichet

Awards
  • Established
I want my government to get the f**k out of my business. I know what's best for me.

DGA3

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to figure out how to contact my "rat in office," so I can make my view known.

That bill is a complete joke. I like noot's idea that the government should tackle bigger health problems first, such as obesity.

Are there any bills floating around out there that propose a ban on McDonald's, Burger King, and Taco Bell?

:speechless:

I didn't think so.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Remember what I said along time ago about the rich who are suppressing the rest of us will no longer listen to words.

This looks like a dark future, this bill WILL pass no matter how many of use get ahold of our local idiots.

The only way to save freedoms anymore is to make it cost too damn much for them to take those freedoms away. The only way to make it cost too damn much is to make that cost their own lives.

No saying anything, just speculating about the realities of our current situation...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll have to figure out how to contact my "rat in office," so I can make my view known.

That bill is a complete joke. I like noot's idea that the government should tackle bigger health problems first, such as obesity.

Are there any bills floating around out there that propose a ban on McDonald's, Burger King, and Taco Bell?

:speechless:

I didn't think so.

there actually is. s - 510 will be on the sentae floor soon and you can mail or email your senators and try and let them know how you feel about it and how you want them to vote. It is the FDA food moderazation act.

People gotta understand these politicians no matter how corrupt they are and easily they are bought or influenced by these big companies they still represent us the people. They still work for us. The problem is everyone complains but no one does anything about it. Write a letter, send an email, make a phone call. Gaureentee if they see a vast majority of their demopgraphic feel strongly for an issue they will listen out of fear of no getting re-elected.

One thing I want is them to re-introduce kevin's law which will give the USDA power to shut down a facility that consistently has e.coli or samnolea contaiminations. As it is right now they cant do jack **** about it. I mean its common sense, if you have a meat plant that is consistently having an issue with e.coli in you meat you should be shut down until you remedy the problem right?

I completely agree our nations major health problem is obesity and type 2 diabetes that is brought on by the foods we eat and the food pratices that are allowed. I mean our wonderful government subsudized corn so much that it is so cheap and we have so much of it that just about every product in your house or in the supermarket has corn or soy as an ingredient. Why was corn subsidized so much? because of the special interest groups who want use it in their product and who have an interest in researching it to use how it can be manipulated to use in various other products. So how government made corn so cheap and so availble through various farm bills that gave farmers incentives to make soo much corn. Meanwhile it is more expensive to buy a head of lettuce then it is to buy a bag of doritos. Why is this? It is chaper to buy a gigantic bag of candy then it is to buy a small bag of apples. Our view of food is so distorted.

Personally I used to be real big on mcdonalds, being I use to do the keto diet for a while.. so while your out on the road or at school or work and get hungry 2 double cheeseburgers for $2 was a perfect meal just remove the buns and meat and cheese. Before I never questioned why was this soo cheap, now I realize the quality of food at these fast food places are soo horrible I would rater just not eat then eat it. So now I refuse to eat at a mcdonalds or any other fast food place. No more happy meals for my son either, and while just me and him stopping eating their wont effect mcdonalds much it will add to the loss of some sales and profit and if more and more people stop eating their more and more of their sales will go down and they will eventually realize they need to change the way they make their food and food options in order to meet the needs of society.

People have more power to effect change then they realize. Start buying better food, stop buying and supporting all the crap at the supermarket and stop buying fast food. Write letters and emails to your people in congress and in the senate. Let them know how you feel and I gaureentee if enough people get behind this cause it will become a movement and these companies and people in office will take notice and change will start.

Im done with my rant... Just want people to know there are ways to make changes. Find your senator and tell them to vote against mccain on this bill. Tell them to vote for s510. Tell them you care about these things and it is very important to you and if they get enough responses they will vote against it out of fear of loosing a re-election.

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the supplements. I really hope it doesn't go the way of when ephedrine was banned, and all the supplements that gained popularity of that effectiveness of that ingredient would just become essentially caffeine pills. I think something like this was a big in diet pills, especially the original Hyrdoxycut. I just remember reading about people saying how it was pretty much the equivalent to how steroids are viewed, that a lot of stupid people who can't follow simple directions would misuse the supplements and would then experience deadly side-effects and all the people that actually were smart when using it just went, "Oh, come on!" From what I read apparently it was the actual stuff that did help in terms of weight-loss...but I have not really done too much research into it.

But anyways, it would suck so much if all the supplements we have come to love would have to cut back on their most important ingredients and just become some over-priced caffeine pills and just use their original claims, bullet points and brand name to attract new customers while all of us "old-timers" will go ape-****...and through feces around...calling BS and jumping on the "This was better before they changed the formula" bandwagon...

*hugs his tub of White Flood* Please don't go... You made me a much better person... :(

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wonder how much of an impact this will have on the supplements. I really hope it doesn't go the way of when ephedrine was banned, and all the supplements that gained popularity of that effectiveness of that ingredient would just become essentially caffeine pills. I think something like this was a big in diet pills, especially the original Hyrdoxycut. I just remember reading about people saying how it was pretty much the equivalent to how steroids are viewed, that a lot of stupid people who can't follow simple directions would misuse the supplements and would then experience deadly side-effects and all the people that actually were smart when using it just went, "Oh, come on!" From what I read apparently it was the actual stuff that did help in terms of weight-loss...but I have not really done too much research into it.

But anyways, it would suck so much if all the supplements we have come to love would have to cut back on their most important ingredients and just become some over-priced caffeine pills and just use their original claims, bullet points and brand name to attract new customers while all of us "old-timers" will go ape-****...and through feces around...calling BS and jumping on the "This was better before they changed the formula" bandwagon...

*hugs his tub of White Flood* Please don't go... You made me a much better person... :(
hahaha, i agree with what you are saying-but had to laugh when you called yourself an oldtimer-you are 20, lol. good post though!

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've said this before but I'll say it again:

It doesn't matter who we put into power in D.C. (Dems or Republicans). You can count on 2 things:

1.) The little guy ALWAYS loses
2.) More personal supplement freedoms will be taken away on the road to CODEX

And it will take nothing less than a 2nd American revolution to take our country/personal freedoms back.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its funny that everyone just assumes the Alliance for Natural Health is telling the truth without reading the actual bill that was put forth. Because they aren't telling the truth, they are stretching it ridiculously if not outright lying about its contents. Notice that nowhere do they link to the original bill, as if you spend just a few minutes reading it you'll see how they are lying.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its funny that everyone just assumes the Alliance for Natural Health is telling the truth without reading the actual bill that was put forth. Because they aren't telling the truth, they are stretching it ridiculously if not outright lying about its contents. Notice that nowhere do they link to the original bill, as if you spend just a few minutes reading it you'll see how they are lying.
Good point, let me see if I can find the actual proposed bill

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So if you read the actual details there, it in no way at all requires regular FDA drug approval for supplements (merely that some evidence is shown of the ingredient's existing use and/or safety) . Also there is not a list of "approved supplement ingredients" with everything else being banned, just that for ingredients used prior to October 15 1994 that were granted an exemption from having to be DSHEA compliant would now no longer have an exemption based on that date, but a list would instead be created for those exemptions.

Quite a bit different than how its described.