When to take Fish Oil

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Do Fish Oil caps need to be taken with food or can they just be taken on an empty stomach or between meals too?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I usually take 2g with each meal, plus I take 2g with my afternoon and pre-bed shake.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
So does it make any difference or best take with food?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
DONT take any without food. eating them without food has been linked to some problems, leakeage, etc. just take 1-5 grams with food however many times a day you need

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm, leakage?

DONT take any without food. eating them without food has been linked to some problems, leakeage, etc. just take 1-5 grams with food however many times a day you need

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Word. I throw in 3-4g 2x/day along with .6g of Krill Oil/day.

purebred

i just take a handful of Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega with one of my meals 1x/day. it's usually whichever meal i remember to do that with. :)

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
yea believe it or not, leakage of the fish oil from the gut! take it with meals
What does that mean? Leakage into the abdomen from the stomach or leakage out of the skin? Do you have a reference? I'm not doubting you but I never heard of this before.

I do know that you can only really absorb about 500mg at a time so you should take it 2-6 times daily - spread out about 2-3 hours apart. Taking more than 500mg at a time has shown to decrease % absorption. I have a New England Journal of Medicine ref but I gotta find the citation to post.

MrMostly

Awards
I think the leakage would but out your ass. You need to trust your farts.

I was just taking it all with supper but later started splitting it up. That seems like the best tactic. ... But always with food. I believe even if you don't leak, taking it on an empty stomach may just result in your body breaking it down as food energy rather than the intended purtpose.
Krill is also a great idea - I would take more if it weren't so expensive. So right now I take about 3 gm. regular distilled fish oil and 1 gm of krill.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
lol - i've never had leakage from fish oil and ive never really paid attention to taking it with meals versus an empty stomach. I eat every two hours tho so I guess my stomach isn't really ever empty except when I first wake up.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I take one pill of fish oil with every meal.
But what does "one pill" equal? Some brands market 500mg of EPA and DHA per pill. Most, however, market 250mg or even 125mg per pill.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
But what does "one pill" equal? Some brands market 500mg of EPA and DHA per pill. Most, however, market 250mg or even 125mg per pill.
I take the NOW Super EPA.

Elcosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 720mg
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) 480mg

For two pills, so 360/240 for 1.

bostonboy

Banned
Awards
The best time to take fish oil or flax seed oil is anytime you are taking in protein, shakes or food. If you only take it one time per day, the best time is before bed with your casein protein. If the oils are bothering your stomach, a trick I have learned is to keep them in the freezer. Freezing the gel pill does not have any adverse effects on the oil, and actually helps it to be absorbed by the body. Hope this helps.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I feel like you have to take more than the reccomended amount to get full benefits. I was a 1-3 gram a day guy for awhile and didnt notice any difference. Only when I upped it to 10+ grams I noticed all the results: skin looks great and doesnt break out, boost in test, mood enhancement, faster recovery, etc. There is a little burp action when you take 5g at a time, but I dont really mind.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
The best time to take fish oil or flax seed oil is anytime you are taking in protein, shakes or food. If you only take it one time per day, the best time is before bed with your casein protein. If the oils are bothering your stomach, a trick I have learned is to keep them in the freezer. Freezing the gel pill does not have any adverse effects on the oil, and actually helps it to be absorbed by the body. Hope this helps.
the stomach problems could actually be from taking FO with little substance. A protein shake definitely does not have the same nutritional density as whole foods, the stomach attacks the fish oil with all its digestive acids and that could easily make you sick. I feel like the more food I take the FO with, the less of a struggle my stomach goes through.

onlyone

Awards
So how much should I eat/take and can I take too much of fishoil?
I train hard 2x a day.

Thanks

bostonboy

Banned
Awards
So how much should I eat/take and can I take too much of fishoil?
I train hard 2x a day.

Thanks
This is a loaded question..the big reason being is that the various oils come in different strengths and concentrations. You need to be cautious, especially since too much flax see or fish oil can actually be bad for your liver, and counter productive. Please don't loose sight of the reason to take these oils...that being Ultra EFA, Omega-3, EPA and DHA with fish oils, and EFA Complex, EPA, DHA, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, GLA and Alpha Linolenic Acid with flax seed oil, not to mention both are a good source of the "good" oils we need when building muscles.
With flax seed oil, you want to take 1000 mg, 1-3 times per day, with meals that are high in protein and moderate carbs (not just a shake). Fish oil is a little bit more complicated. As a general rule, you want 1000mg, and take 1-2 gels, up to 3 times a day with meals (high protein and moderate carb). However, depending on the meal your eating, i.e. salmon, and other fishes, you will not need to take as many gels/pills as you will be getting the oils from the fish you are eating.
How much you eat really depends on what the purpose of you diet is, such as bulk or recomp. I could suggest some places to buy these oils, but I am fearful that may not be allowed. With the mod's blessing, I would be happy to do so. Hope this helps.

Space Viking

Awards
If fish oil is leaking out of your ass, you might want to switch to a different manufacturer. Fish oil is readily absorbable/digestible and shouldn't be making it anywhere near your colon. If it does in fact 'leak' that is a good sign that it is probably not the fatty acids on the label.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
If fish oil is leaking out of your ass, you might want to switch to a different manufacturer. Fish oil is readily absorbable/digestible and shouldn't be making it anywhere near your colon. If it does in fact 'leak' that is a good sign that it is probably not the fatty acids on the label.
2x on that

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
10+ grams?

I feel like you have to take more than the reccomended amount to get full benefits. I was a 1-3 gram a day guy for awhile and didnt notice any difference. Only when I upped it to 10+ grams I noticed all the results: skin looks great and doesnt break out, boost in test, mood enhancement, faster recovery, etc. There is a little burp action when you take 5g at a time, but I dont really mind.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
Funny you should mention those as I am heading there today to pick some up.

Is it the Omega-3 with Kirkland Signature Enteric Coated Fish Oil?

Yea I got the Kirkland brand from costco. each pill = 1000 mg = 1g

so i usually take 5 of them either 2 or 3 times a day

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Funny you should mention those as I am heading there today to pick some up.

Is it the Omega-3 with Kirkland Signature Enteric Coated Fish Oil?
yea its like 400g for $9.69 or something. skin feels more moist, ive had dry skin in the past. its very clear and hardly ever has a breakout, and even when anything does come out its usually gone by the end of the day. ive noticed my skin has a good glow to it since I started upped the amount.

fatburner2007

fatburner2007

Awards
  • Established
I hear you on dry skin man; especially in the winter months. How soon after starting to use it did you notice a difference?

Sounds like you are using the
Kirkland Signature
Fish Oil Concentrate
400 Softgels
1000 mg "Concentrated" Fish Oil w/300 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Noticed the Omega-3 with Kirkland Signature Enteric Coated Fish Oil One Per Day ones are $3 off a bottle this month, but they seem half the number of caps and not much more fish oil per cap :shrug:

yea its like 400g for $9.69 or something. skin feels more moist, ive had dry skin in the past. its very clear and hardly ever has a breakout, and even when anything does come out its usually gone by the end of the day. ive noticed my skin has a good glow to it since I started upped the amount.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I couldnt even tell you when I started seeing skin improvements, just like any other supplement you gotta introduce it into your system. just make sure you take it with food, take about a gram for each % of bodyfat you got. dont take it with the postworkout meal, fats slow down digestion and you want the fastest possible gastric emptying post workout.

rageofscar

Awards
I eat 1.5 servings of natural peanut butter a day. Does anyone know how many grams of fat that equates to?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I eat 1.5 servings of natural peanut butter a day. Does anyone know how many grams of fat that equates to?
Dude.... turn the jar over and look at the label. The line that says "fat" on it has a number next to it - thats how many grams of fat you get per servering. Multiply that number by 1.5 for total grams per 1.5 servings.

I don't mean to be a prick but.... come on.... 1) this post is unrelated to the topic of the thread and 2) this is not something you need the internet to answer.

Just to be a nice guy - my natural pb has 12g fat per 1.5 servers (8g/serving) but this may vary by brand.

Note that calorieking for fitday will allow you to search for food products, choose serving size, and enter number of servings.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 37
CATdiesel76 Supplements 16
Dustin07 Supplements 22
GreenMachineX Supplements 19