5-HTP and Tyrosine - To Deal with Sleep Issues

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've been under some rather tremedous stress at work for the past year - and its now to the point that it is effecting sleep (its feels similar to anxiety/slight depression). Specifically, I can fall soundly asleep, sleep for about 4 hours, and then I am wide awake thinking about everything that is going on at work.

I have read several threads on 5-HTP and want to give this a try. I've also read some suggestions that 5-HTP should be taken later in the day, and tyrosine should be taken in the morning.

Can anyone offer comments on 5-HTP and tyrosine?

Can you suggest a dosing protocol?

Are there any other supplements (like Rhodiola) that you might also suggest given these types of symptoms?

Thanks in advance.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You wouldn't wanna take tyrosine at night. Most likely that would keep you awake. You'd want to dose that during the day. A great stack would be L-tryptophan(500mg) and L-tryosine (500mg) 2x a day during the day. Once in the morning and once in the mid afternoon. Now at night you might wanna try a different protocol. You could try another 500mg of L-tryptophan to see if it helps you get to sleep. If that doesn't work you may want to try 5-htp. 100-200mg on a empty stomach before bed. Another alternative at night would be 1mg melatonin and 1 valerian cap. But try the first recommedation first and then go from there. Don't expect sudden quick results, its may take a little time.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MST's Somnidren GH for all stress/sleep isues

you would think tyrosine would keep you awake and I do not recommend it taking it before bed time however taking MST Somnidren GH gives me some good sleep. i recommend it

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks.

To start with, I'll be taking ALCAR (750mg) and Tyrosine (1.2g) twice a day, morning and afternoon. At night, I'll be using 5-HTP.

I also plan on adding Rhodiola and Relora, but I'd like to add one supplement at a time so see if I can discern any difference.

I may also look into Somnidren GH.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

but I'd like to add one supplement at a time so see if I can discern any difference.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?
That's a good idea, you don't wanna take too many things at once because than you don't know whats working or what may be harming you. I don't like mixing herbs with amino acids either. With herbs we really don't know as much science behind them as we do amino acids so there's possible other interactions or mechanisms we are not aware of. Like relora for example. It was shown to reduce cortisol and balance the dhea to cortisol ratio but who knows what else it does.

I believe your sleep issues are related to your stress issues as you mentioned so if your thinking your gonna solve your stress issues by solving your sleep issues that's not gonna happen. You are getting one step behind yourself. I'd strongly recommend what I mentioned to help you with the stress and then if your handling stress better then you'll be able to sleep better. That's why I recommended what I did. Alcar is a great addition too but that alone with tryrosine isn't gonna do it all. That may even hype you up more. You can either change your situation (which may not be possible) or learn how to deal with it and I believe the combo I gave you will help. If it doesn't look for a new job. It's not worth the burn out. I know from personal experience.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That's a good idea, you don't wanna take too many things at once because than you don't know whats working or what may be harming you. I don't like mixing herbs with amino acids either. With herbs we really don't know as much science behind them as we do amino acids so there's possible other interactions or mechanisms we are not aware of. Like relora for example. It was shown to reduce cortisol and balance the dhea to cortisol ratio but who knows what else it does.

I believe your sleep issues are related to your stress issues as you mentioned so if your thinking your gonna solve your stress issues by solving your sleep issues that's not gonna happen. You are getting one step behind yourself. I'd strongly recommend what I mentioned to help you with the stress and then if your handling stress better then you'll be able to sleep better. That's why I recommended what I did. Alcar is a great addition too but that alone with tryrosine isn't gonna do it all. That may even hype you up more. You can either change your situation (which may not be possible) or learn how to deal with it and I believe the combo I gave you will help. If it doesn't look for a new job. It's not worth the burn out. I know from personal experience.

I agree. I understand that I am, in essenece, treating the symptoms, not addressing the problem. I won't go so far as to say I'm biding my time, but I am trying to allow the situation to play itself out. Corporate life is a far cry from what it was even two or three years ago.

So - in the mean time, I am seeking some much needed relief. I think the protocol you suggested make sense.

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
MST's Somnidren GH is awesome.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I agree. I understand that I am, in essenece, treating the symptoms, not addressing the problem. I won't go so far as to say I'm biding my time, but I am trying to allow the situation to play itself out. Corporate life is a far cry from what it was even two or three years ago.

So - in the mean time, I am seeking some much needed relief. I think the protocol you suggested make sense.
To make sure you get the most out of tryptophan you may want to take it along with niacin and b-6. Doctors best brand sells one called tryptohan enhanced. Feel free to message me anytime and let me know how it's working for you. Hope you get some relief bro.

purebred

I've heard good things about Somnidren. I can personally vouch for a product called Calm Forte. I have been using that in place of Melatonin and although the effects are not identical, I have taken a preference to Calm Forte over melatonin (i.e. no grogginess the following morning). I think it's worth a shot! If anything, you can use Calm Forte in conjunction with other sleep support supplements without worrying about any interactions (even with medication). Homeopathics are seriously underrated.