Cancer Question

abnxtwo

abnxtwo

Banned
Awards
My mom is on the rebound from having a bout with breast cancer about a year and a half ago.

The doc's have her on a anti-e called Femara.

And they also want her to take 1000mg of vitamin D aday.

The doc's say she is to run these 2 supps for 5 years.

My question to you guys is does anyone know of any way she could get these products at a cheaper price since she has to take for such along time.

Didn't know if the anti-e's that Nutra sells would be the same as taking the Femara?

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Simple ... no ... no OTC SERM matches pharmaceutical grade. Resveratrol (Stoked, Sustain Alpha) might help boost energy levels but it was rumoured it might boost estrogen in certain situations

Vit D is easy to buy

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i wouldnt deviate from the doctors orders on something life threatening. theres some research chem sites that have what shes taking but its probably better to just go to the pharmacy because quality is higher there.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
yea dude i would much rather be safe spend the extra $$ and cut back other expenses. no nutra supplment is going to equal a prescription

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry to hear this bro. i know many people right now dealing with life - threatening cancer and its really sad. my prayers are to you bro. anyways, either order in bulk but i would stick to what the doc says and gives.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I think the most useful thing to do is for your mom to check E1 and E2 levels regularly. The cancer unit should do this but outsource to e.g. ZRT is doable. $35 per hormone or around $120 (?) for 4 is about the going rate.

The only thing I'd add is using mega-C 1-2g per day might be helpful. A heavy veg. diet might help as might antioxidants, e.g. raw chocolate.

These might have anti-cancer properties .... and might not but it will not disrupt anything. The reason is simply your mom is at a higher risk of cancer now.

Oh and you can get your vit D levels checked but its pricy about $100 a time. Staying on Vit D is a good move, its an easy supp to buy.

noot

noot

Awards
  • Established
I was going to recommend asking the doctor about a generic option, but "The patent for Femara is set to expire in June 2011, so that is the earliest date that a generic version of the medication could become available." :(

There seems to be a liquid version that apparently is used as a PCT...But, I am going to have to agree with others and advise to stick with doctor's orders, especially since in your case the usage is for real medical reasons rather than recreational/anabolic reasons.

I guess try asking the doctor and see what he can recommend.

abnxtwo

abnxtwo

Banned
Awards
Hey thanks for the info fellas.

After I posted I picked up some vit-d from nutra primaforce sale yeeaahhh!!

i just thought I could save her some $ on the anti-e.

I work for a health system and i know shes getting screwed over on the price of her anti-e.

But what can you do....Keep on pushing.

Thanks again for all the good info guy's:439:

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Given the use of SERMs I understand the question now. If you "go alone" - if its "generically" possible - you'd have to have your moms estrogen levels checked regularly.

If you substitute pharmaceutical Vit D with supplement Vit D I'd check Vit D levels. Maybe $100x3 to start with and $100 per year thereafter in checks.

Its just you don't have any margin for error here: the quality/bioavailability of supplements varies and sometimes what you get is what you pay for. The other thing is ... is the script for Vit D2 or Vit D3? D3 is widely available D2 is hard to get.

I was going to recommend asking the doctor about a generic option, but "The patent for Femara is set to expire in June 2011, so that is the earliest date that a generic version of the medication could become available." :(

There seems to be a liquid version that apparently is used as a PCT...But, I am going to have to agree with others and advise to stick with doctor's orders, especially since in your case the usage is for real medical reasons rather than recreational/anabolic reasons.

I guess try asking the doctor and see what he can recommend.

simmons

simmons

Awards
  • Established
Hey thanks for the info fellas.

After I posted I picked up some vit-d from nutra primaforce sale yeeaahhh!!

i just thought I could save her some $ on the anti-e.

I work for a health system and i know shes getting screwed over on the price of her anti-e.

But what can you do....Keep on pushing.

Thanks again for all the good info guy's:439:

I understand where you're coming from. I believe Femara is about $300 for a one month supply (ouch!). But these guys are right.