N-Methyl-D-Aspartate

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Just picked up March 2010 edition of Flex magazine and in the back there was a big ad (you know the ones with the flames and the jacked guys all claiming they got huge of this product) but anyway they were talking about the amino acid compound N-Methyl-D-Aspartate. So usually when I see an ad like this I immediately turn the page but I started reading just for fun and what they had to say about this compound is quiet ridiculous. The company claims: "N-Methyl-D-Aspartate is a little known receptor found in neurons and hormone regulating organs of the body. It has been deemed responsible for the incredible increase of hormonal output experienced during puberty, which results in rapid muscular and sexual development. This hormonal state is most desirable for building muscle mass and even useful in enhancing every aspect of sexual performance. This newly found receptor, when powerfully activated by our patent pending NMDA™ chemical, elicits profound elevations of circulating anabolic hormones."

"Our intensive scientific literature research has uncovered countless double blind, randomized human and animal studies verifying these effects!

Dramatic increases in both testosterone and leutinizing hormone (LH) in only 6-12 days of use! Additional studies show dramatic increases of growth hormone (hHGH) and gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH). All of these increases were profound and originated in the hypothalamus, pituitary and testis with administration of NMDA™. Furthermore, our studies clearly show powerful NMDA™ induced cAMP activation and Nitric Oxide induced blood Nitrate (NO2, NO3) blood levels. So not only do you feel like you are on a cycle, you get pumps that are out of your skin with incredible strength to boot! In addition, NMDA™ acts as a powerful cognitive enhancer, by elevating neurotransmitter levels, to get you dialed in like never before! It may sound too good to be true but it is 100% real. We have all the published research abstracts available to review on our website plus a lot more detailed information on the specific biological action of NMDA™. Imagine taking an amino acid and blasting your Testosterone, Growth Hormone, IGF-1 and IGF-2 to levels potentially greater than puberty! Even to a level comparable to taking exogenous hormones?! Along with the other benefits of enhanced focus, vascularity, strength and energy... you can't help but be as excited as we are! These results are exactly what NMDA™ was designed to provide and quite simply, it delivers!"

link: MUSCLE WARFARE

So after reading that I did some research, though I only spent about 45 mins browsing through PubMed the only article I could find that made any sense and pointed to a positive effect in humans is the following:

Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2010 Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]
An update on the role of glutamate in the pathophysiology of depression.

Mitchell ND, Baker GB.

Department of Psychiatry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.

Mitchell ND, Baker GB. An update on the role of glutamate in the pathophysiology of depression. Objective: To review the literature on the involvement of glutamate (Glu), including its interactions with other neurochemical systems, in the pathophysiology of depression. Method: A MEDLINE search using the terms glutamate, depression and major depressive disorder, was performed. Results: Alterations in proteins involved in glutamatergic signalling are implicated in variations in behaviour in animal models of depression. Drugs acting at Glu receptors appear to have antidepressant-like effects in these models, and traditional antidepressant pharmacotherapies act on the glutamatergic system. Recent evidence from genetic studies and in vivo spectroscopy also correlate glutamatergic dysfunction with depression. Trials of N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor antagonists in humans have provided mixed results. Conclusion: A growing body of evidence indicates that the glutamatergic system is involved in the pathophysiology of depression, and may represent a target for intervention.
PMID: 20105149 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Anyone have any more info on N-Methyl-D-Aspartate?

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
muscle warfare rep posted stuff about their products here and anabolic xtreme is using d-aspartic acid in there new TST powercell, and magnum

majormass

Awards
i signed up for the free trial..we shall see if this is hype or what

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
I signed up too, guess we will be the guinea pigs then haha...

AppTrix

Awards
NMDA Receptors the Human Growth Hormone and aging.

I have also just recently bought this product and hope it works. In my psychology and psychiatry classes I have learned that the NMDA receptor is responsible for learning memory and neuroplasticity (the ability for your brain to repair itself). So therefore the claims of increased focus are not exactly far fetched.
Although, that's not the main goal in our mind. I was able to find a couple studies that seem to correlate to hormonal activity most importantly that of the HGH.
The first study suggests that Growth Hormone Receptor KO (meaning theyve removed the receptor) mice showed improvement with the enhancement of NMDA receptors.
I could not find anymore specifics on the Growth hormone link between NMDA. So instead I chose to look for the fluctuation of NMDA receptor activity through aging. The second study points out elevated levels during the developmental stage of mice and shows levels plateauing in early adulthood.
It may also be relevant to point out that antagonism of the NMDA receptor through dissociative drug use does in fact stop the Human Growth process. It may be hypothesized that agonistic effects may in fact reverse the antagonistic effects of aging and set the mind back into key levels for the developmental process.
Although, I do not believe the NMDA directly increases Human Growth Hormone levels, but instead increases the ability for synaptic activity to occur. Therefore I think the actual hormonal boosts if any, would need to be attributed to the other ingredients, with the NMDA simply allowing the mind to be able to use and produce the hormones with increased efficiency.

If you seek to increase HGH levels there are other supplements such as GABA and Phenibut which are shown to have a direct impact on HGH levels. Although, GABA is not able to fully cross the bain barrier, Phenibut is GABA manufactured to cross the blood brain barrier. GABA is best used to increase HGH release if taken directly prior to going to bed. Benzodiazepine class drugs work by increasing GABA levels and also can increase HGH release.

I am taking the NMDA from Muscle Warfare along with a GABA supplement and hope to see great results.

The effects of aging and genotype on NMDA receptor expression in growth hormone receptor knockout (GHRKO) mice.
Magnusson KR, Das SR, Kronemann D, Bartke A, Patrylo PR.
Source
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, 105 Magruder Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA.
Abstract
Caloric restriction enhances N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor binding and upregulates messenger RNA expression of the GluN1 subunit during aging. Old growth hormone receptor knockout mice resemble old calorically restricted rodents in enhanced life span and brain function, as compared with aged controls. This study examined whether aged growth hormone receptor knockout mice also show enhanced expression of NMDA receptors. Six or 23- to 24-month-old male normal-sized control or dwarf growth hormone receptor knockout mice were assayed for NMDA-displaceable [(3)H]glutamate binding (autoradiography) and GluN1 subunit messenger RNA (in situ hybridization). There was slight sparing of NMDA receptor binding densities within aged medial prefrontal and motor cortices, similar to caloric restriction, but there were greater age-related declines in GluN1 messenger RNA in growth hormone receptor knockout versus control mice. These results suggest that some of the functional improvements in aged mice with altered growth hormone signaling may be due to enhancement of NMDA receptors, but not through the upregulation of messenger RNA for the GluN1 subunit.

Development and aging of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor expression in the prefrontal/frontal cortex of mice.
Ontl T, Xing Y, Bai L, Kennedy E, Nelson S, Wakeman M, Magnusson K.
Source
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Program in Molecular, Cellular, and Integrative Neurosciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA.
Abstract
The present study was designed to determine whether the changes that occur during aging in the expression of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor and two NMDA receptor subunits, zeta1 and epsilon2, are a continuation of developmental processes and whether protein and mRNA expression patterns of the subunits are similar across the lifespan. The prefrontal/frontal cortex of C57BL/6 mice of eight different ages (7-8, 13-15, 30-32, 49-53, and 70-72 days and 4.5, 11, and 25 months of age) were used to examine NMDA-displaceable [(3)H]glutamate binding and mRNA in tissue sections and mRNA and protein from homogenates. The lateral prefrontal/frontal cortex of C57BL/6 mice showed more significant declines in density of agonist binding to NMDA receptors during both development and aging than the medial cortex. Changes in mRNA expression for the epsilon2 subunit across the lifespan appeared to be related to the changes in NMDA receptor binding in the lateral cortex, even though the protein expression of the epsilon2 subunit did not show the same pattern of expression as the mRNA during development. The changes in epsilon2 subunit mRNA expression during adult aging may be a continuation of developmental processes, but there was also evidence that expression levels plateaued during early adulthood. The developmental expression of the zeta1subunit in the prefrontal/frontal cortex was influenced by gender and there was no significant effect of adult aging on either the protein or mRNA expression of this subunit. Determining how the expression of the NMDA receptor and its subunits change throughout the lifespan can help us to better understand the processes affecting the receptor during aging. These results should be useful for designing interventions into the aging process to repair or prevent changes in the NMDA receptor and its associated functions, such as learning and memory.