Becoming A Army Ranger/Please Help

C

csbball

Awards
Hi Everyone,
Im 6'1, 185 lbs, prob around 9 % BF(pretty muscular)
Ill be joining the Army Rangers in April.
I need a supplement that will help me with my endurace running. I will be running anywhere fom 5-8 miles at a time non stop. And very long 12-15 mile road marches. (almost daily)
Yes im training now, But i cant find any products that will acually help me with running further and faster.
Any one have any Suggestions?

crowpass

crowpass

Awards
  • Established
Plrenty of rest each night before you head out to train.. I would suggest creatine, and hgh supp. and some time of joint support. If you have not started training with a weighted pack (such as anywhere from 50-100 lbs.) I would start right away, the shin splints are the worst. As for running faster, try some sprints with ankle weights, or if you have no ankle weights ide suggest srpinting up a hill as many times as you can. Ive never ran 8 miles in 1 day, so im not gonna give you any input. Buth for real though, nothing is gonna help you out more than determination and remember...DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD! Become a leader and be sure to support your 'buddy'.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
csbball, I served in the IDF Airborne. We did tons of running, including weekly marches which culminated in a 60 mile march in full battle dress, in 15 hours through the mountains. We did several 40 milers, etc.

Fact is, you need nothing, but to follow their (your commanders) advice/instruction. The army has put tens of thousands of troops through the training, and knows *everything* about making it work. It's pretty damn scientific, though it will not seem so to you as a recruit. They most likely will not allow you to use any supplements in basic/advanced/ranger school. Don't worry about it.

That being said, there are several things you can take to aid your preparation: Cordygen5, creatine, and a good multi. If you work up using a well-scaled program, you shouldn't experience any problems, assuming you're healthy, and don't do stupid **** (hey, first run today, I feel pumped! Lets try 9 miles!!!).

Here's what I did in training to enter my unit (which required a weeklong physical test):

Mon - long slow run, 5 sets pullups, each to failure
Tues - 2 mile run for time, 5 sets dips to failure
weds - off
thurs - lsr (see mon ;) ), 5 sets pullups to failure
Fri - sprints or 3 mile timed run, 5 sets dips to failure
Sat - LONG run, like hours, 5 sets pullups to failure
Sun - off

Long slow runs - in the beginning, it may be 3 miles, it may be less, I don;t know your fitness level. If so, scale the 3 mile run back on the other days. don't add more than 10% a week, TO ANYTHING, even if you can, UNLESS you're very trained. So the first time, go run, and jog until you either think you shouldn't, or it's been 45 minutes, for starters. Then increase by 5-10% a week. Once you are fine running slow for an hour or two straight, add in the really long slow runs on saturdays, and just go LONG.

2 mile timed runs - being able to run 2 miles in 10-11 minutes is hugely useful, and 2 miles is an odd distance. Try to achieve the 5 minute miles if you can.

Sprints - you can do tabatas: warm up, then time 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, for 4 minutes. that's it. You must go balls out, til you puke or want to pass out. Anything less is not a sprint. If you are not in oxygen debt, its not a sprint. If you can catch your breath, it's not a sprint. Because tabatas are so effing hard, do only 2 minutes the first time, and add 1 segment (20 sec) a week. There are many other sprint routines you can find as well.

Pullups/dips - as attrctive as big pecs and quads are, they'll serve you absolutely zero purpose in the first 6 months in the army. You need a good set of running legs, bitching lungs, and anything else is using oxygen meant for running. In other words, being really muscular is detrimental; it's more weight to haul around, and uses precious oxygen and calories. So busting out some awesome weight routine is a waste of time. Pullups and dips provide all the upper body strength you'll need. You should be able to do at least 20 pullups and 20 dips in one set. If you get bored with cranking out sets of 15+, add weight to your belt, 20-30lbs. this will simulate operating in battle dress to some degree.

Other stuff - I didn't mention abs. You must do them. 3 days a week is fine. 6 is also fine. Just do them, and forget crunches. Do situps, reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, etc.

The only weighted exercise I might add is deadlift. This is highly functional, doesn't have to add a lot of mass, and keeps the back strong and healthy. I'd either do a crossfittish 135 x 50 or other low weight/high rep scheme, or pick a medium weight and do 3-5 sets of 10-20. Again, DL is meant to be done as a max lift, singles, etc, but your needs dictate otherwise. You need to simulate the stresses you'll be under as closely as possible, and remain as light as possible. You'll never have to hump 405lbs of anything as a soldier, but you WILL have to exert 135lbs of pressure many times in a row, be it in grappling, loading a truck with tents, etc.

Crossfit - crossfit is awesome. it's a great program, and could serve you well, very well. But you'd need to tailor it for your needs, and add in lots of long ass cardio. They'll tell you you're wrong. I'm telling you THEY'RE wrong, from painful experience.

This post is from my very personal experience. It worked for me, very well: out of 300 guys who passed a preliminary 2 day physical test and went on to the primary week long hazing/test, I came in 3rd place. Why? I'm not the biggest or baddest or fastest runner. It's because I was fit enough to where I was not busy thinking about my fitness. I could do everything they asked, to the best of my ability to failure, and I wasn't afraid to go there. And I kept a positive attitude throughout. That's it.

There is no such thing as 'can't', only 'won't'. Good luck.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I heard ranger school is easy, just sleep deprevation that messes with you.

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
sustain alpha would deff help. Made by Primordial Performance. T-booster

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sustain alpha would deff help. Made by Primordial Performance. T-booster
A LOT of things would help. The problem is he needs to maintain a very high level of performance, semi pro-athlete level; the catch is that he needs to do it 1) on 2.5 hours of sleep and sub-maintainance calories, and 2) without ANY supplement help. So you don't want to be running sub-5 minute miles and banging out sets of 30 dips, only to find that you can't sustain that without the help of superhypersustadrol, and he DOES NOT NEED MASS.

I specifically recommended Cordygen5 and creatine because they're cheap; because they will boost his fitness to acceptable levels faster than without; they'll aid recovery; and he won't feel a damn thing when he goes off. (in fact the creatine will keep on helping, as it takes a month to deplete creatine stores)

K

khergan

Awards
I would worry mostly about getting in shape for extreme endurance matches.

Go on 10-15 mile ruck marches to build up your muscles and joints to acclimate to that stress. Definitely run a lot and get in good cardio shape. Get in good pushup/pullup shape.

I went through pre-ranger and unfortunately they didn't have enuf slots. 5 of my friends all went to ranger school and made it successfully. It's all about 1) endurance 2) NEVER QUITTING NO MATTER WHAT 3) patience 4) working as a team.

But what will mostly cause people to drop out or quit is if they're not in good endurance shape.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
ended Cordygen5 and creatine because they're cheap; because they will boost his fitness to acceptable levels faster than without; they'll aid recovery; and he won't feel a damn thing when he goes off. (in fact the creatine will keep on helping, as it takes a month to deplete creatine stores)
Milleniums other Cordygen product ... I am using it right now I believe, VO2 (?), is for endurance athletes. Saturating in creatine is a good move.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
trouble is, you wont have the ability or time to stick to a routine dosing schedule. you'll be in the field for days and you cant just stick 20 pills in your ACUs. i dont see how intermittently popping some pill would help. just do it.
and good luck :D

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My cousin is a Ranger, sniper, and now on the shooting team. You've got my respect and best wishes in succeeding, man.

As for supplemental help, I agree with those that said 'nothing'. You won't have time or the ability to take things while in training. Prepare yourself now by training hard without anything.

Good luck!!

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
...as Poison said once you're saturated with creatine it will stay in the system for a long while before its depleted. It represents an important stamina reserve.

Training at altitude would help as well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Poison has given some great advice right there. Especially in the Crossfit remarks. If you want to tailor crossfit more towards endurance etc look into crossfitendurance...

http://www.anaerobicendurance.com/index.php

I can absolutely say from personal experience that crossfit is an awesome program for your goals.

Go Navy!!

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't have time to read every word above, but in general people seem to be steering you in the right direction.

Physical preparation is one thing, however you can be the world's top athlete but it is mental stamina that will see you through. Sometimes the only thing that might keep you going are the words of your comrades and the knowledge that you can not let them down.

Do not rely on supplements-- they are just that, supplements, and won't be there for you when you are in RIP.

x2 on the ruck marches, even if it's just gradually adding weight to a civilian pack on some local trails.

If you want very specific and up-to-the-minute info, join the forums on Socnet.com. Make sure to post an introduction first so we know who you are and what your background is. There are a lot of guys on there who have walked the walk recently, and even some cadre, who can tell it like it really is.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ranger school is pretty easy if you can past the phase of sleep/food deprivation. Learn your oporders real well and be able to give a decent opord that lasts about an hour. Dont be a blue falcon, be modest and give 100 percent at all times and your peers will not vote you out. Trick is to not stand out or the RI's will rip you a new one. If your good a lugging heavy objects, always volunteer to carry the m-60 or radio; those things are a bitch to carry haha... You and your molly gear will be best friends; tie everything down so you dont run the risk of losing gear. You and your ruck are ONE, remember that.. Pre Ranger school is more intense than Ranger School, so if you can pass that then you should be good to go. SF Q course (2 weeks) is much harder than Ranger School as a whole. Put on some body fat now; you will lose it during training. Take creatine and beta alanine to get your endurance up. Stick with the program and YOU WILL SUCCEED...

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
FOr endurance training I would go with MST, I am currently training for spring races. I have been on this stack for 3 days the 1st day I ran 10k like it was nothing 8 min mile
then the next day ran 5k 7.26 using the Nike nike pedometer Iwant to get down to 6 min mile by march...
Cordygen 5
Citruvol-XS

Benefits of Cordygen5 Supplementation:

Increase Oxygen Utilization 40%!
Increase ATP 30%!
Massive Aerobic & Anaerobic Endurance!
Enhance Aerobic & Anaerobic Recovery!
Great Strength Increases!
Increase Training Intensity!
Decrease Fatigue!
Increase Testosterone!
Ability to Pack Large Volume Training into Short Periods!
Supports Healthy Immune Function!
US & International Patents Pending!

A

AaronJMUSMC

Awards
Stay away from creatine. Every hump we go on, one of my fellow Marines fall out due to dehydration or something along the lines. Creatine can put stress on your kidneys especially if you're already taking whey and drinking tons of water. Just some food for thought. All of our Corpsmen advise against creatine. I have used it successfully for a while in the past, but I stay away from it for the reasons I listed. I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but you know how that goes. Good luck.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just being a runner is the best thing for you. Run. I'd recommend gaining some fat. You are going to go through some very catabolic training. A cortisol reducer would help out a lot. Lots of protein to spare as much muscle as you can. Creatine would help. And really the tests are not that bad.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Stay away from creatine. Every hump we go on, one of my fellow Marines fall out due to dehydration or something along the lines. Creatine can put stress on your kidneys especially if you're already taking whey and drinking tons of water. Just some food for thought. All of our Corpsmen advise against creatine. I have used it successfully for a while in the past, but I stay away from it for the reasons I listed. I'm sure others will have a different opinion, but you know how that goes. Good luck.
Dunno... mono is okay. You can get kidney function checked before and post-cycle. Its an interesting idea that it could accelerate dehydration.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You are wrong as hell man!!! Creatine only puts stress on a rare amount of peoples kidneys due to creatinine levels.. Creatine does not dehydrate the soldier, the soldier dehydrates himself; you should be drinking a gallon a day.. Whey helps you stay hydrated better. Stop throwing out opinions without backing yourself with research. If that soldier fell out, it was because of their mental readiness or lack of drinking water.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gamer, while you're giving out that advice, try following it yourself. Much of your previous post was made out of opinion and not fact.
Ranger school is pretty easy if you can past the phase of sleep/food deprivation. Learn your oporders real well and be able to give a decent opord that lasts about an hour. Dont be a blue falcon, be modest and give 100 percent at all times and your peers will not vote you out. Trick is to not stand out or the RI's will rip you a new one. If your good a lugging heavy objects, always volunteer to carry the m-60 or radio; those things are a bitch to carry haha... You and your molly gear will be best friends; tie everything down so you dont run the risk of losing gear. You and your ruck are ONE, remember that.. Pre Ranger school is more intense than Ranger School, so if you can pass that then you should be good to go. SF Q course (2 weeks) is much harder than Ranger School as a whole. Put on some body fat now; you will lose it during training. Take creatine and beta alanine to get your endurance up. Stick with the program and YOU WILL SUCCEED...
Ranger school isn't easy for most of the people that go through it. Even those who do excellent in the course, are not making statements that it's easy. Don't be a BF and be modest and give 100%? The hell kind of advice is that? You also say don't stand out but volunteer to carry the heaviest of the loads? That's neither modest nor staying hidden... Hopefully they're not still using M60's and have moved on to 240's with the less elite military. The Q course and Ranger school are both hard and passing either school is not a guarentee that you'll pass the other.

My advice: Find some Army Ranger boards with proven Rangers willing to give solid advice. Don't load up on supplements to get an edge. The only thing you're really going to need that you'll have access to is caffeine :)

Good luck and remember your body may fail but as long as your mind is in the fight, you should do well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
:poke::poke::poke:

I heard Ranger school was like a weekend with the Boy Scouts.

*Just throwing out some inter-service fun*

Pretty sure the Military Channel did a show on Ranger school and I'm sure you can find it online. It would be a decent place to get some ideas as far as what to expect and what you need to train for.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
You are wrong as hell man!!! Creatine only puts stress on a rare amount of peoples kidneys due to creatinine levels.. Creatine does not dehydrate the soldier, the soldier dehydrates himself; you should be drinking a gallon a day.. Whey helps you stay hydrated better. Stop throwing out opinions without backing yourself with research. If that soldier fell out, it was because of their mental readiness or lack of drinking water.
:no: Why did you even post that.... :no:

To the OP, listen to all the advice in here, anything and everything I would have put in here is already said haha...Take lots of note to Poisons post!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The reason most training schools of this intensity don't allow their students to take many supps to include creatine is that in many cases is that if the member is taking something like creatine they need to take in even more water than what may normally be needed. In training evolutions of these magnitudes they do not always get to drink as much and often operate behind the curve as it is. Especially if the temp is really hot or even really cold. There are many cases of creatine being a factor to dehydrating someone, causing muscle craps, and even diarrhea. Another point to note is that the instructors are taught how to look out for their troops welfare during their training and allowing their members to take extra supps at their will increases the X factor in trying to determine any health/performance issues. In fact, many of these schools will drop you if they find out you are on them. BUD/s is one course that I know for sure does not allow creatine and will drop you for it's use. They also regulate multi vitamins... they are allowed, but certain one's are not, such as GNC's Sport multi for men.

Just wanted to comment on you telling someone else not to throw out opinion has you just have. Besides, if you believe that creatine only affects a rare amount of people's kidneys... how do you know he is not one of those rare people?? These schools seem like they are nothing more than thrash sessions, but their really is a lot more medicine and science behind them. Hell, they have had how long to perfect these schools?

You either train hard enough and have the physical and mental abilities to pass these courses or you don't. Supplements are just that a supplement, but they are not what makes you a warrior.

OP... you need to find guys who have been there and done that and they are the one's who you should listen to the most. 'Cause as we all know, if you haven't been, you haven't been.

Best of luck to you!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
:poke::poke::poke:

I heard Ranger school was like a weekend with the Boy Scouts.

*Just throwing out some inter-service fun*

Pretty sure the Military Channel did a show on Ranger school and I'm sure you can find it online. It would be a decent place to get some ideas as far as what to expect and what you need to train for.

Nah, just rent Black Hawk down, and remember this tip: grab the rope before you jump out of the helicopter. You'll be fine.

:trout: :lol:

:poke:

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
The reason most training schools of this intensity don't allow their students to take many supps to include creatine is that in many cases is that if the member is taking something like creatine they need to take in even more water than what may normally be needed. In training evolutions of these magnitudes they do not always get to drink as much and often operate behind the curve as it is. Especially if the temp is really hot or even really cold. There are many cases of creatine being a factor to dehydrating someone, causing muscle craps, and even diarrhea. Another point to note is that the instructors are taught how to look out for their troops welfare during their training and allowing their members to take extra supps at their will increases the X factor in trying to determine any health/performance issues. In fact, many of these schools will drop you if they find out you are on them. BUD/s is one course that I know for sure does not allow creatine and will drop you for it's use. They also regulate multi vitamins... they are allowed, but certain one's are not, such as GNC's Sport multi for men.

Just wanted to comment on you telling someone else not to throw out opinion has you just have. Besides, if you believe that creatine only affects a rare amount of people's kidneys... how do you know he is not one of those rare people?? These schools seem like they are nothing more than thrash sessions, but their really is a lot more medicine and science behind them. Hell, they have had how long to perfect these schools?

You either train hard enough and have the physical and mental abilities to pass these courses or you don't. Supplements are just that a supplement, but they are not what makes you a warrior.

OP... you need to find guys who have been there and done that and they are the one's who you should listen to the most. 'Cause as we all know, if you haven't been, you haven't been.

Best of luck to you!
Amen Bro.....

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im sorry, but I still am gonna stick with the fact that supplementation prior or during training (if allowed), will not harm you. And your right, I have no clue what im talking about, im just a stupid ol soldier myself about to be pinned Lt.... You should know your body on supplements, and I know I dont feel dehydrated or less energized when im on whey and creatine; its all about prior water intake. You can become just as dehydrated if you werent supplementing anything... I had a 12 mile run with a 55lb ruck to be completed in less than 3 hours. I was running on 3 hours of sleep and had a 101 fever, and I was supplementing a plethora of supplements. I also know I wasnt completely hydrated (stupid me), but I completed it in time.. Anyways, I wont make any more comments, to each his own...

M

mildot

Awards
links sent to you by message

OP. I cannot post links in threads yet. So PM has been sent with links about cramping that affect some people from supplement use while under stress. The information may not be useful to your situation....

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Best of luck to you!
The first 7 days of Ranger school AKA RAP week is the "thrash session".. The rest of Ranger school is classes and field training. You are not food and sleep deprived the whole time, only part of the time, the field training time. Also, I never said anything about taking supplements and you will be better; that depends on the individuals will to train hard and push himself. Supplements help push you that extra lap on the track or win a race by that second you so needed, it helps you, doesnt do the work for you.. The people you see coming out of Ranger school that look like they are about to kill over have most likely been recycled once or more..

S

skrypt

Awards
You need to pick up an Alice pack, frame and 25-45 pound sandbags. Start with the 25 and work your way up to 45 rucking 6-8 miles/day (not every single day). The Alice pack will be heavy, awkward, and uncomfortable. It will also prepare you for moving with gear, because that's all you're going to be doing. Don't wear boots prior to training; they'll just damage your shins prior to training. As far as supplements, just stick with the basics (multi, fish oil, creatine, possibly BCAA) prior to your ship date. You won't be allowed to use supplements during your training; this is a sure way to get kicked out.

Good luck!

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Disclaimer: i am not nor have I ever been in the military, nor have 2nd hand knowledge thru acquantainces of what Ranger school is like, but....

In my naive opinion, i wouldnt take anything, based on the premise that if you make it thru (and I hope you do), you might find yourself deployed in an environment where you will not have access to the supps that got you there.

crowpass

crowpass

Awards
  • Established
Disclaimer: i am not nor have I ever been in the military, nor have 2nd hand knowledge thru acquantainces of what Ranger school is like, but....

In my naive opinion, i wouldnt take anything, based on the premise that if you make it thru (and I hope you do), you might find yourself deployed in an environment where you will not have access to the supps that got you there.
nicely put.

A

AaronJMUSMC

Awards
Im sorry, but I still am gonna stick with the fact that supplementation prior or during training (if allowed), will not harm you. And your right, I have no clue what im talking about, im just a stupid ol soldier myself about to be pinned Lt.... You should know your body on supplements, and I know I dont feel dehydrated or less energized when im on whey and creatine; its all about prior water intake. You can become just as dehydrated if you werent supplementing anything... I had a 12 mile run with a 55lb ruck to be completed in less than 3 hours. I was running on 3 hours of sleep and had a 101 fever, and I was supplementing a plethora of supplements. I also know I wasnt completely hydrated (stupid me), but I completed it in time.. Anyways, I wont make any more comments, to each his own...
If you're an army officer then you should atleast know not to call Marines, soldiers. Pay attention to detail.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established

Thats overrated sentiment. Win at all costs.

ryanp81

ryanp81

Awards
  • Established
You don't need supplements and they are banned and prohibited at Benning ( any Army on the board correct this if I'm wrong ) from what I understand, I am USMC 0331 (ret.) and I never used any supplements when I was in..bring your heart and mind and everything else will fall in place, run your ass off and lead and set the example and be prepared for a nice "skull" cut.

Good look brother and may St. Michael protect you.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've always wanted to go through some sort of formal training like this but without the obligation of signing a contract. Looks like fun.. I wonder if a there is something similar for the general public

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In knowing that my cousin (the Ranger) was one of the first on the ground in Afghanistan - the airport landing that made the news - and knowing that he's alluded to the fact that he didn't see Saddam but did see his #2, I have NOTHING but ABSOLUTE RESPECT for the Rangers and every other serviceman and servicewoman out there. You folks have a HELL of a hard job to do when deployed, no matter where it is. Anything that puts you at risk of dying like that is just nuts, but a sign of complete and utter bravery in my book.

Hats off to all who serve - not literally, but actually. I take my cap off to you, shake your hand, and I honestly do thank every single vet I come across. You do us proud. Thank you!!!

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i've always wanted to go through some sort of formal training like this but without the obligation of signing a contract. Looks like fun.. I wonder if a there is something similar for the general public
There are things civilians can do to get a taste of the hard life. I'll see if I can drudge up a few for you. I know that there is a SEALs training camp for civs in California and think there is something to that effect here on the east coast.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For a modest fee, i'd be happy to oblige.

Me: See that hill :squints: yeah. Go set up your tent over there and have it ready for inspection. Go!

It took you 40 minutes. You suck. Two minutes, everything set up where you started. Go!

It took 43.5 minutes. Repeat. Go!

:5 hours later: you suck. You're not doing it. See these storm bags, fill them with dirt. See the point here on the map? Yeah, the one 17 miles away? Navigate there, carrying your bag of dirt. You have 2.5 hours. Go!

:puke:

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're an army officer then you should atleast know not to call Marines, soldiers. Pay attention to detail.
My bad, all I saw was Ranger School.. I did see a bunch of marines posting on the topic though ;)..

A

AaronJMUSMC

Awards
Not a problem brother. Anyways sorry to hijack the thread, let's get back to the guys original question.

B

beast4

Awards
if you are going to be running long distances, do not use creatine, will make your muscles in your thighs and lower back mainly tighten up after a couple of miles