Best Protein to Take????

He15man

Awards
Was wondering on what protein would be the best to take to gain some weight? I weigh about 205 trying to get to 215..

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
whey PWO, casein pre-bed

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
Protein factories' weight gainer protein shakes are pretty well formulated with protein, carbs and fats. Might wanna check that out.
Other wise what was mentioned above is pretty solid.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
best two to look into,
whey isolate
micellar casein

or if u want just one
milk protein isolate!

pressmaster

Awards
u need diff protein for diff reasons,Casein protein is what makes up 80% of milk protein and it is acid sensitive which means it turns 2 gel n the stomach allowing for slower breakdown of amino acids.It is a must 2 take 40-50 grams of casein protein b4 bed as it supplies the body with protein over 7 hours.Whey is the fastest digested protein and is needed when u wake up n the morning as your muscles r starving from fasting thru the night even with casein protein.Also whey is most known 4 being used postworkout to feed starving muscles.Just get a good 100% whey product and don't buy n2 the hype and spend a couple dollars per serving on overpriced and overhyped proteins save the rest of your money 4 other goodies( :.A good whey product should b between 50cents to a dollar a serving depending on how many grams per serving 20g-30g.I prefer eating my protein preworkout as chicken,beef,eggs,fish protein last significantly longer than whey protein which is digested n 1.5-2hrs and can leave u stranded during those long workouts and forcing your beloved muscles to start consuming themselves 4 fuel slowind down the whole process.Make sure u r taking at least 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight divided evenly throughout the day and that translates to 40-50 grams at every meal 4 u.Also don't neglect carbs as they r just as important 4 building mass.Take your protein and carbs seriously as they r number on the list of things we can consume on our quest 2 build muscle.I hate seeing guys around the gym that spend small fortunes on supps and when u ask them if they take protein b4 they workout or b4 they go to bed they answer no."what the hell lol".good luck lift lots of heavy weights!!!!!

PTAussie

Awards
Before half the forum gets on to wax lyrical about which blend and you need whey after workouts and caesin before bed etc...forget all that crap and do the following. Understand why you need to take a protein supplement? Are you not getting enough dietary protein if so how do you know. What are you trying to achieve and how much protein are you taking now? Make sure you are training for hard strength gains, your food based diet is excellent and measured and then and only then do a taste test of value for money brands and go for one of them if it suits your body and budget. In reality any protein powder will generally do the trick if they are half decent.

pressmaster

Awards
agreed but no matter how good his diet is the types of protein he takes and y he takes them is valuable info he needs 2 no as these shakes r a large part of his daily diet.He should b taking the before bed shake 2 minimize fasting while he is sleeping and at least 1 serving of whey n the morning to replenish quickly even if he eats breakfast.Also his postworkout should consist of whey.All these things tie directly n2 what u r saying we should b talking about.U say he needs 2 understand y he needs to take a protein supp and that's exactly what i was informing him of.U also talk about him needing 2 no if he is getting enuff protein n his diet and I went over that as it relates to his bodyweight.Also even if he is getting enough dietary protein he still needs 2 take certain proteins at certain times unless he just happens to eat a tub of cottage cheese every night lol.Supplementing with protein isnt just making sure we get enough it is making sure we get enough of the right kind at the right time.

pressmaster

Awards
ppreciate it man I have seen good results from staying n positive nitrogen balance and I am always working to keep aminos flowing thru my system whether I am cutting or bulking and it is the most important of all supp knowledge n my opinion.The first question i ask a guy at the gym who wants help or asks how I do my thing is what his protein ntake is like.The second question is how many reps r they doing per set 2 failure,then i tell them 2 eat more and lift heavier lol!!!!!!!!!!!

MMAnabolics

MMAnabolics

Awards
I like Pro 5, really clean, pretty cheap, 40g a scoop, dissolves easy.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
iso mass extreme its in a purple tub it gives damn good protien cals and carbs per serving and is pretty cheap taste like normal nothing great or bad buy it

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Every once in a while I do a custom blend as a multi-purpose and I have whey for post workout.

50% CMDI
20% Micellar Casein
20% Whole Egg
10% Whey

For the most part I dont think it will make a HUGE difference if you take protein A or protein B, as long as you get your nutritional needs met. Sure a casein shake would be better than whey at night, but whey is better than nothing at all. I usually stick with a blend such as Dymatize 24 Hour Protein, Myofusion, Nitrocore 24

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Changed my mind on this alot.

Agreed caesin before bed.

Whey .. I've just got 90% stuff. Thats 90% pure protein, incredible purity. Standard is 80%. Don't use Mass Gainers blend you're own. Mass gainers use high GI carbs ... pointless IMO, although its a matter of opinion. Idea is to get an insulin spike but at the expense of GH release.

Chicken is about 1/3 protein (I think) and beef 1/4 to 1/5 :(

Personally I can't make up the protein intake without whey.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Was wondering on what protein would be the best to take to gain some weight? I weigh about 205 trying to get to 215..
The kind of you eat. Eggs, meat, poultry, fish and dairy. Do not forget to drink your milk!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I never met a piece of beef, chicken, fish, turkey or loin that I didn't like ...those "supplements" have thousands of years of research and I have never been a non responder either.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
There should be a law against bad spelling.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Is this a forum or a text message platform?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Changed my mind on this alot.

Agreed caesin before bed.

Whey .. I've just got 90% stuff. Thats 90% pure protein, incredible purity. Standard is 80%. Don't use Mass Gainers blend you're own. Mass gainers use high GI carbs ... pointless IMO, although its a matter of opinion. Idea is to get an insulin spike but at the expense of GH release.

Chicken is about 1/3 protein (I think) and beef 1/4 to 1/5 :(

Personally I can't make up the protein intake without whey.
Most protein that is sold does not have a pure grade of protein. That is why something such as MAP is superior to some proteins.

Also, you cannot mimic what you get from food no matter what scientific study you pull from.

quick9000

quick9000

Awards
There should be a law against bad spelling.
LOL...
I tend to agree with the majority here, I've always heard best combo is Casein before bed, to keep your muscles from fasting, whey shake imed. upon waking up, and whey shake 20-30 mins after workout. Thats the staple.

As far as WPI (whey protein isolate) can someone explain to me what the difference is here...what you are paying for...? Alot of guys swear by it but i don't get it.

BTW, I used to buy the so-called "premium" 100% whey from GNC and the like (let's get off of GNC cuz I just got off of yours) and it seems that as pressmaster et al have reiterated: most whey brands are the same...now I buy EAS generic 100% whey in bulk at BJ's Wholesale club and fill my old pro performance tub...lol.

Anyone think going EAS is letting the bar hit your foot as you drop it?

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Most protein that is sold does not have a pure grade of protein. That is why something such as MAP is superior to some proteins.

Also, you cannot mimic what you get from food no matter what scientific study you pull from.
You sound like the FDA. Any relation to you?

quick9000

quick9000

Awards
think you're right, anyone up for a a good 'ole mid-day flogging?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
You sound like the FDA. Any relation to you?
So what you are saying here is that supplements can effectively replace natural whole food, because that seems to be the idea which you are conveying?

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Is whey a supplement or a processed food?

200g+ of neat protein per day is around one whole chicken 700g - 1kg (plus bones).

Its 1kg of pure steak. Yep for me I need to supplement my protein sources.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Is whey a supplement or a processed food?

200g+ of neat protein per day is around one whole chicken 700g - 1kg (plus bones).

Its 1kg of pure steak. Yep for me I need to supplement my protein sources.
My point being is that a supplement by def is something that accommodates not replaces. No shake, be it what ever type, should replace whole food. I ask the question because you seem to be saying that protein shakes can replace whole foods.

First, what we have to look at is how many companies actually produce an adequate protein and not lie on their label saying it is a high concentration? I would be willing to bet 5% perhaps, if that even. We only have to take a trip back 7 months to find a case where a prominent protein supplier was found to have bogus protein sources included in their "greatest protein" ever made. I can show you many reports where companies have protein powders tested by third parties only to find out that it has only a minuscule amount of proteins actually IN THE PRODUCT.

This is why people cannot understand why MAP can have so little protein per serving yet be a better choice than most cans of protein that reads "50g" per serving.

So, once we get past all of the bogus claims of protein shakes which are many, we have only the few that actually are worth purchasing. This is why, again, I say that no supplement can replace natural whole foods.

There are a few companies which I would trust but it is only about 3. I agree that they play an important role (if that's your point, you are correct) however in no WAY can they replace natural whole foods.

BTW: I was once engaged to a fed, but she didn't work for the fda to be specific. You are the 9th person to ask me that.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am gonna be trying the PP MAP, suppose to be real high quality stuff.