Back to the BASICS!!!!

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
hey guys well i have been working out for the last 6 months and well I havent seen these gains you all speak of when just starting out.. So i am gonig back to the basics. I tried the asteriod stack (2lbs) I was on sizeON (water) So I am heading back to the basics starting over with a different approach. Please let me know if you think i am headed on the right track! I will go through my daily day.... what i eat and the supplements i take! (if in the wrong secetion sorry)

8am three eggs and a cup of oatmeal

10:50am 100% Whey shake (opintum nutrion) (made with water at school)

12pm lunch usally pasta or chicken with some sauce and a glass of milk

2-6pm work- i take a cup of almonds to eat throughout

630pm dinner chicken or pasta or red meat with a green veggie with milk

715pm bannana
730 gym 45 min (mon,wed,fri-weight training)

830 100% whey protein shake made with milk

10pm 2tbl natty peanut butter

11pm casein protein shake made with milk

Does this seem like i can gain weight and bulk up? I am 5' 10" 173lbs 14-16
% BF. (used to be 187 20%BF)

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
The first thing I notice is the multitude of shakes and lack of real food. I would especially encourage an actual meal post training, even if right before bed.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
If it sounds like i am discouraged it is becasue i am. haha. I have two workout buddiies that were starting at 150-160lbs roughly and they both decided to take S-drol now they are both like 170 but at like 10%BF. i am trying to do it natural and cant seem to gain any and if i up my calories i gain but it seems liek fat. Maybe i will try DTH?? help in any way. IF you have a good 3 day split workout please show it to me if its fro MASS building.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Will Do i thoguht more real food in there before bed instead of PB will be better for me

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
3-day split...

Monday: BB deadlift, Dips/BB bench, Sprints

Wednesday: BB standing overhead press, BB bent row, DB/BB walking lunge

Friday: BB squat, Pullup, Sprints

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seems a little low on calories as well.. good idea about starting from scatch. First you have to learn how to gain without supps. Then when you start to see some success you can add in supplementation to enhance the gains. Supps are not to perpetuate gains but to enhance them...

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
The calories are about 2200 and the split is 40%Protein 40%Carb 20% fat. I think i will gain ok on this. I want to try and reach 2500 calories.

Also the three day split it looks like it works out legs and back not really arms?

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Also the three day split it looks like it works out legs and back not really arms?
You got it. If you are getting back to "basics", bicep curls shouldn't even cross your mind.

Heck, I weigh 230 and I don't do curls. Heavy compound lifts is what you need.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
Hypertrophy Specific Training is an awesome 3 day for mass, but may be a little detailed if you're just starting out..

Like Shakes said, you don't need isolated movements. If anything get your mindset into a powerlifter's. Get strong at compound lifts... Squats, Deadlifts, barbell rows, military press, pull-ups, [chin-ups, and dips are they only "arm" work you'll need (try to add weight)]

Look up the Rippetoe routine. I started out on that and put on about 10 lbs.
And 2,200 calories is not enough. Start with AT LEAST 2,500 and add 100 calories a week, cut down 50-100 if you see too much fat. By adding calories slowly, your body will continue to guess and you should add mass and limit fat gain.
Plus remember you can always cut the fat off later.
It's great that your starting at the basics, but 2,200 is not going to do it

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
Hypertrophy Specific Training is an awesome 3 day for mass, but may be a little detailed if you're just starting out..

Like Shakes said, you don't need isolated movements. If anything get your mindset into a powerlifter's. Get strong at compound lifts... Squats, Deadlifts, barbell rows, military press, pull-ups, [chin-ups, and dips are they only "arm" work you'll need (try to add weight)]
Yeah, I should have mentioned that you can alter your form a bit on dips and pullups to hit more/less arms.

To hit your triceps more on dips, keep your upper body perpendicular to the ground with your elbows tucked in (or at least w/ minimal flaring). Upper body leaning forward w/ flared elbows is mainly chest (resembles decline press).

To hit your biceps more on pullups, suppinate your grip (palms in) and place your hands shoulder-width or narrower. A wide pronated grip (palms out) will emphasize less biceps and more lat.

And, if you can do more than 8 clean reps of either dips or pullups, it's time to strap on a belt and add weight.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Thanks alot guys. I cant wait to get back to the basics and seem soem seriosu size gain!

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Here was my food intake today.
instant oatmeal made with milk
protein shake 24g protein 1g fat 4 carb 120 calories
6oz chicken with a side of pasta with glass of milk
oatmeal wit natt pb n milk all in a bowl
almonds at work
3 chicken tacos side of pasta
WORKOUT
protein shake
3 oz of chicken

How does that look? I am looking at putting on mass but not fat....

any ideas on a mon,wed,fri ssplit mass/size gain routine?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
exactly!
i forgot the name of it at the time