I hate vegetables - will this suffice?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Daily 5

I love fruits but I am a low carb guy. I get in a ton of anti-oxidants form supplements and I get my fiber from low carb breads, etc.

I feel I am missing "something" from being devoid of veggies.

Will a product like this "replace" my veggies in total?

Arent these products simply ground down veggies?

Thanks

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Vegemite

GICH! For further deatials, contact Jakellpet!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
errrrrr huh?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the input but this is not what Im looking for at all

Vegemite is made from used brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing, and various vegetable and spice additives. It is salty, slightly bitter, and malty — similar to beef bouillon. The texture is smooth and sticky. It is not as intensely flavoured as British Marmite and it is less sweet than the New Zealand version of Marmite.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I just can't understand how some hate veggies? Damn, they are the more delicious foods out there ... maybe I am an odd ball.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know I know. Other than that, I eat clean and healthy as heck too!

Just not a fan of anything green unless I slather it with 10 pounds of butter or cheese to mask the taste and that's counter productive of course LOL

Anyone help out here?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to say that I don't think there is any good replacement for vegtables in your diet. I could be wrong but I would never cut them out of mine.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i eat veg but not as many as i should. i added in v8 fusion. i think that helps and it tastes good, like fruit.

afboy143

afboy143

Awards
Subbing

I too hate vegatables and am curious what others have to say. I do drink a glass of V8 Fusion each day (tastes sweet like fruit) but I dont think its enough-- Plus its expensive!

purebred

there's no replacement for the whole food nutrition veggies contain. you can buy all the greens products you like but supplements will never effectively replace whole food. the best thing you could probably do is juice your veggies. i believe it's fair to say we're all big boys here. eat your veggies, you're not 5 anymore :) they're good for you. if you need to season them a little bit and add some melted cheese on them to be able to down them, so be it. just eat them. your body will thank you.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there's no replacement for the whole food nutrition veggies contain. you can buy all the greens products you like but supplements will never effectively replace whole food. the best thing you could probably do is juice your veggies. i believe it's fair to say we're all big boys here. eat your veggies, you're not 5 anymore :) they're good for you. if you need to season them a little bit and add some melted cheese on them to be able to down them, so be it. just eat them. your body will thank you.
Even then, vegtables help a lot with digestion... you need the ruf***e.

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
You cant sub. for the real thing, stop acting like you're 6 and eat your veggies :)

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
x2. I eat 1 serving of veggies and 1 serving of fruit with meals 2, 3, and 4. There are just so many things you get from the real thing as opposed to something that's processed (also somethings you avoid by not eating processed $h!t). I actually eat my veggies raw. Well my green beans i don't eat raw....but I usually eat broccoli and asparagus raw everyday. It's not easy.....I generally have a 36oz container of water sitting next to me to wash it down.

Purebred....i'm digging your pic of Eva Angelina :thumbsup:

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
I agree on the juicing..you can drink down many more veggies that you would most likely eat. The trick is to add a bit of apple to all veggie drinks for a good tasting drink.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
Well maybe the fact that vegetables reduce risk of many cancers may make you change your mind about eating them. For example, broccoli reduces risk of colon cancer and it's not just because of antioxidants.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
If you can handle V8 juice, blend in some spinach or other greens with some hot sauce.

ward0351

ward0351

Awards
If you can handle V8 juice, blend in some spinach or other greens with some hot sauce.
Interesting. I eat my veggies, but I still drink about 12 oz of v8 a day. You have to get the low sodium version though, the normal kind is slammed with it.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Suck it up. That's what sacrifice and dedication is. There's no substitute for whole food veggies. Get creative. Learn how to cook. You can Stir fry broccoli, cauliflower, onions, carrots with some sesame oil or olive oil with some spices and it's really good. I hate most veggies myself but without them I have big digestive issues, and overall I just feel worse. You create a big acid environment in your body which will make you bloated all the time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Easy way to get down a ton of vegetables is to make a smoothie.

4 oz of baby spinach
1/2 banana
1.5-2 scoops protein powder
1/2 C berries

This is a hugely alkalinic drink that supplies 3 servings of produce and 35-50g of protein (depending on amount and brand). There's about 30g of carbs in it, but at least 6g of fiber as well.

You can be creative with these and you can't taste the spinach at all.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"Theoretically" (key word here).......ALL the essential phytonutrients and antioxidants and GOOD CRAP that comes from veggies (even exotic ones rarely ingested in a normal/high veggie intake diet) are in the powders minus the calories and carbs (good for dieting??).

In addition to that, you get "theoretically" MUCH more micronutrients from a few table spoons of the GREENS as we all know 90% of fruits and veggies are water.

Am I flawed in my thinking?

In other words, sure, the greens drinks maybe missing SOME components normally found in eating veggies, but perhaps it's a suitable/close second place. !?!?!?

Isn't this akin to slamming a protein shake with pure protein verses eating a fat steak (with the fat and protein and cholesterol and k/cal)??

Isn't this also akin to taking fish oil STRAIGHT as opposed to ingesting 500-1,000
k/cal of salmon daily to get comparable EFA's ??

Isn't this also akin to taking Celery Seed extract for blood pressure support as opposed to eating 10 pounds of celery stalks daily??

Isn't this also akin to taking 5 grams of Creatine as opposed to eating 10 pounds of red meat for said amount??

Isn't this also akin to taking ONE caffeine capsule as opposed to drinking 2-3 cups of coffee??

Isn't this also akin to taking a (comprehensive) calcium supplement daily with zero calories as opposed to drinking a gallon of milk every day??

Well maybe the fact that vegetables reduce risk of many cancers may make you change your mind about eating them. For example, broccoli reduces risk of colon cancer and it's not just because of antioxidants.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
"Theoretically" (key word here).......ALL the essential phytonutrients and antioxidants and GOOD CRAP that comes from veggies (even exotic ones rarely ingested in a normal/high veggie intake diet) are in the powders minus the calories and carbs (good for dieting??).

In addition to that, you get "theoretically" MUCH more micronutrients from a few table spoons of the GREENS as we all know 90% of fruits and veggies are water.

In other words, sure, the greens drinks maybe missing SOME components normally found in eating veggies, but perhaps it's a suitable/close second place. !?!?!?

Isnt this akin to taking a protein shake with pure protein verses eating a fat steak (with the fat and protein and cholesterol and k/cal) !?!?!?!?
But even with protein no one will tell you to replace all whole food protein sources with protein shakes. Nor is it healthy to do so IMHO. Also, those v8 fusion drinks aren't really low in carbs, either. They contain about 30g per serving, just like Rodja's recipe for a shake.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But even with protein no one will tell you to replace all whole food protein sources with protein shakes. Nor is it healthy to do so IMHO. Also, those v8 fusion drinks aren't really low in carbs, either. They contain about 30g per serving, just like Rodja's recipe for a shake.
Beat me to it ...:veryhappy:

ritchy

Banned
Awards
I`m big on green supplements. Progressive puts out a top notch product. I will even say it`s a better substitute to vege`s as it`s much, much more complete. The only way to see if it`s true is to try it yourself for 2 months. Plus at about $1 a serving it`s less expensive and has more nutrition that`s found in vegetables.

The exception would be somebody on a keto diet, I`d go with as much whole food as possible to keep you feeling full, making the diet easier to follow.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interesting. I eat my veggies, but I still drink about 12 oz of v8 a day. You have to get the low sodium version though, the normal kind is slammed with it.
I agree on the low sodium version; I won't drink the regular V8... it is like 400+ mg of sodium per serving. I say use your hot sauce if you want some salinity to it like I do or throw in some westichire sauce.

And to the poster who does not like vegetables... seriously, you are on your way to the most preventable cancer that there is, Colon cancer if you do not have adequate fiber and nutrients from vegetables. I am with everyone else and say it seriously, grow up, learn what ones you can tolerate and figure out what cooking methods yield taste/texture that you like. I love vegetables but there are some that took a while for me to get used to or figure out how to cook to my liking. Get to the grocery, pick up some things you like and start eating green!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Easy way to get down a ton of vegetables is to make a smoothie.

4 oz of baby spinach
1/2 banana
1.5-2 scoops protein powder
1/2 C berries

This is a hugely alkalinic drink that supplies 3 servings of produce and 35-50g of protein (depending on amount and brand). There's about 30g of carbs in it, but at least 6g of fiber as well.

You can be creative with these and you can't taste the spinach at all.
look into golden gains, nearly 2 days equivalent of fruit and veggies in 1 serving ;)
Awesome suggestions there. ^

I'll add one, for the veggie hater: drop into your local Jamba Juice or Robeks, and buy a shot of wheat grass. It's foul stuff, I hate it, but for $1.50, you're getting the nutrition of 2-3lbs of salad. It may seem expensive, $1.50/day, but a big salad every day will cost more than $1.50, and provide less nutrients.

I'm not a big veggie eater, myself. I like Rodja's idea, I just need to break out the blender in my tiny kitchen.

Golden Gains is VERY tasty.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
I agree on the low sodium version; I won't drink the regular V8... it is like 400+ mg of sodium per serving. I say use your hot sauce if you want some salinity to it like I do or throw in some westichire sauce.
Reminds me of my Virgin Mary's. V8/lemon juice/worcestorshire sauce/hot sauce/horse radish. :bigok:

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
i stand corrected dark half - do you have the nutritional info on diet, low-sodium v8 fusion - i'm curious and i cant seem to find it.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
OK, this should probably go in the recipe section, but I'll bet you'd like my greens the way I cook them. (spinach, collards, mustard greens, bok choy, whatever)

1) Fry some pork bellies (from grass fed, drug free pigs)
2) Remove pork bellies, leaving fat in pan
3) Add cooking sherry, a little olive oil and a touch of soy sauce
4) Add greens and cook till tender
5) Add cut up pork bellies and mix
6) Chow down

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
Suck it up. That's what sacrifice and dedication is. There's no substitute for whole food veggies. Get creative. Learn how to cook. You can Stir fry broccoli, cauliflower, onions, carrots with some sesame oil or olive oil with some spices and it's really good. I hate most veggies myself but without them I have big digestive issues, and overall I just feel worse. You create a big acid environment in your body which will make you bloated all the time.

This is the first person here to bring up the PH factor and the foods we eat. REPS mang, your stomaches and bodies PH factor play pivitol roles on how you feel and how your body performs.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
After posting this I took my own advice. I needed some milk so while at the store I grabbed a bag of stir fry veggies already pre-mixed. It's got broccoli, sweet peas, carrots, and cabbage. Got a bottle of sesame oil. Poured 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in the pan. Stirred it up. Put pan on high. Once in got hot put it down to medium. Added some seasoning. Stirred in around. It literally took 5 minutes and it's very good. I usually just suck it up and eat my veggies raw or in a salad but I decided to eat for taste and it can be done! What a stunning discovery! LOL I'm eating them right now with my burger as I type. I absolutely hate onions too. But fried onions are a whole other story. They are great. Use some healthy oil and it's guilt free.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
After posting this I took my own advice. I needed some milk so while at the store I grabbed a bag of stir fry veggies already pre-mixed. It's got broccoli, sweet peas, carrots, and cabbage. Got a bottle of sesame oil. Poured 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in the pan. Stirred it up. Put pan on high. Once in got hot put it down to medium. Added some seasoning. Stirred in around. It literally took 5 minutes and it's very good. I usually just suck it up and eat my veggies raw or in a salad but I decided to eat for taste and it can be done! What a stunning discovery! LOL I'm eating them right now with my burger as I type. I absolutely hate onions too. But fried onions are a whole other story. They are great. Use some healthy oil and it's guilt free.
Yeah, don't forget that olive oil, it boost natty test!:veryhappy:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PRAL gets brought up a lot here, but most people still don't understand all of the implications of low pH.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
PRAL gets brought up a lot here, but most people still don't understand all of the implications of low pH.
Yeah, its just so hard on so many systems, not to mention what its doin to your GI tract.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

Isn't this akin to slamming a protein shake with pure protein verses eating a fat steak (with the fat and protein and cholesterol and k/cal)??

Isn't this also akin to taking fish oil STRAIGHT as opposed to ingesting 500-1,000
k/cal of salmon daily to get comparable EFA's ??

Isn't this also akin to taking Celery Seed extract for blood pressure support as opposed to eating 10 pounds of celery stalks daily??

Isn't this also akin to taking 5 grams of Creatine as opposed to eating 10 pounds of red meat for said amount??

Isn't this also akin to taking ONE caffeine capsule as opposed to drinking 2-3 cups of coffee??

Isn't this also akin to taking a (comprehensive) calcium supplement daily with zero calories as opposed to drinking a gallon of milk every day??
Sounds like this is akin to an excuse not to "EAT" vegetables....

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Damn, forgot to edit...

My point being, all of those that you listed are SUPPLEMENTAL and not meant to replace. you CANNOT replace vegetables with a supplement. It will not, has not, and cannot be done, period, end of story, road, etc.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not trying to start a war here but not ONE person has TRULY satisfied my question!! Besides getting called crap (LOL) and told "just eat your veggies and shut up", I have yet to get ANYONE to validate their comments.

I'd love to get one of the intelligent board members to break this down for me. As I stated, the greens powders have far more fiber, micronutrients, vitamins, minerals and a wider array of the aforementioned b/c the source of the greens is very concentrated and from a widespread well designed variety (as opposed to just ingesting 2-4 random veggies).

As I already relayed, I dont doubt veggies are superior from some reason (??). However - WHY is the question!

WHAT specifically do veggies have that the greens veggies dont!?!?

Since this is so obvious to all of you - this should be an EASY question! Yet, all I get is painted with tar and feathers LMAO

PS: With respect to PRAL and Alkaline foods, these type of foods are EXTREMELY alkaline!!! Again, they are simply designed to be that way. Here the rub: SOME VEGGIES ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more rub: Additionally, some veggies haver ZERO FIBER too!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
I say go for it, especially if they're dehydrated, powdered greens.

I take liver tabs because I hate the taste of liver. Same thing, I suppose.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
just throw the veggies in a blender with some low sodium v8.

do it now.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LMAO :p

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not trying to start a war here but not ONE person has TRULY satisfied my question!! Besides getting called crap (LOL) and told "just eat your veggies and shut up", I have yet to get ANYONE validate their comments.

I'd love to get one of the intelligent board members break this down for me. As I stated, the greens powders have far more fiber, micronutrients, vitamins, minerals and a wider array of the aforementioned b/c the source of the greens is very widespread (as opposed to just ingesting 2-4 veggies).

As I already relayed, I dont doubt veggies are superior - however - WHY is the question!

WHAT specifically do veggies have that the greens veggies dont!?!?

Since this is so obvious to all of you - this should be an EASY question! Yet, all I get is painted with tar and feathers LMAO

PS: With respect to PRAL and Alkaline foods, these type of foods are EXTREMELY alkaline!!! SOME VEGGIES ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Additionally, some veggies haver ZERO FIBER too!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Why? Here: there are enzymes, nutrients, vitamins, and minerals which are harmed or eradicated with exposure to oxygen, heat, processing, and time spent sitting on a shelf. It's that simple. As good as some of the powdered greens may be, and as gently as they may be processed at low heat, and carefully packaged, they WILL NOT provide the full spectrum of nutrition that fresh, raw veggies provide.

For example, several nutrients in fresh juiced wheat grass are degraded by 50% within 10 minutes of juicing. Cut fruit has reduced levels of vitamin C, and tomatos stored in the fridge have much lower levels of vitamin C as well as other nutrients.

Now do you still believe a veggie that has been juiced, dried, powdered, packaged, and sat on a shelf for a month will provide the same as it would when eaten fresh?

This is not to say powdered veggies are bad. If you don't eat veggies, you'll benefit greatly from a quality powdered product, no question. And just because you don't 'feel anything' doesn't mean it isn't working. ;)

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
That powder seemed to only be a few grams of stuff. You need a lot to be effective.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ahhhh thank you. ;)

Finally a LOGICAL explanation

Why? Here: there are enzymes, nutrients, vitamins, and minerals which are harmed or eradicated with exposure to oxygen, heat, processing, and time spent sitting on a shelf. It's that simple. As good as some of the powdered greens may be, and as gently as they may be processed at low heat, and carefully packaged, they WILL NOT provide the full spectrum of nutrition that fresh, raw veggies provide.

For example, several nutrients in fresh juiced wheat grass are degraded by 50% within 10 minutes of juicing. Cut fruit has reduced levels of vitamin C, and tomatos stored in the fridge have much lower levels of vitamin C as well as other nutrients.

Now do you still believe a veggie that has been juiced, dried, powdered, packaged, and sat on a shelf for a month will provide the same as it would when eaten fresh?

This is not to say powdered veggies are bad. If you don't eat veggies, you'll benefit greatly from a quality powdered product, no question. And just because you don't 'feel anything' doesn't mean it isn't working. ;)

pu12en12g

pu12en12g

CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
Awards
  • Established
Have any of you guys tried Golden GAINS ? In the big picture, it's worth every penny

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
golden gains is good stuff.. still on sale?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Ahhhh thank you. ;)

Finally a LOGICAL explanation
It wasn't that anyone did not want to give you a logical explanation but it was the obvious fact to what the superiority is. This leaves a tired person drained when telling this story again. A simple google which takes less than 25 seconds can reveal several factors to why real vegetables are superior.

Also, when you are mentioning that people take creatine over eating real meats, I have to question how much research you have done on supplementation. That's why several of us stated that supplementing with creatine does not mean that one should quit eating meats. This is the same as supplementing with "processed powdered liquids". If you want to drink your veggies just take raw fresh veggies and juice them, add a sweetener and drink it.

No one was being unintelligent by not directly answering the question, most were being direct in saying what they did say, "shut up and eat your damn veggies"

lol, not a gripe at you but seriously, eat up man, it's great!!!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is it with this board and all the recommendations to do a google serach. WTF. LOL.

If I researched how much protein to eat as a bodybuilder, I'd get google hits recommending anything from 50 grams of protein/day to 500!

If I were to google search if Primordial Performance (who I love) sucked or kicked ass - once again - thousands of different OPINIONS.

So, a "simple 25 second google search" which I DID in adavnce of this thread, already yielded opposing perspectives! Hence, the need to bring the debate here dicuss things intelligently HERE in a DISCUSSION FORUM along with my peers and people from a particular group that I fall in - bodybuilders!

I can apppreciate the frustrations when someone asks a stupid question as I have seen many as well. This was hardly that.

Again, I already admitted veggies were superior from the get-go and was looking for feedback and additional vantage points on the issue. In other words, a healthy debate that we could all perhaps learn something from. Isnt thsia discussion board?

A simple google which takes less than 25 seconds can reveal several factors to why real vegetables are superior.