Two workouts, two PWO shakes in one day

1. Registered User
    Answers

Two workouts, two PWO shakes in one day

I work walking distance from my gym, so I can go down at lunchtime and do my workout. Trouble is, by the time I walk down and back, get changed into and out of gym clothes, I've really only got time to rush 2/3 through a regular workout and that's by skipping a proper cooldown & stretch. If I just go after work then I end up getting home that much later. Hence, I'm thinking of doing a double split purely to be more efficient with my time. So I go down at lunchtime and do half my routine, then after work I finish it off. I do full-body HST routines so I can easily split it that way.

But what about PWO shakes, which have been extremely beneficial in the past? If I have one after my lunchtime workout then another after my evening workout is that getting too much?

My PWO shake consists of a roughly 50:50 mix of crushed oats and dextro/malto plus serving of whey. Normally I combine it with a dose of YG or AP just before the end of my workout.

2. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Thudd View Post
    I work walking distance from my gym, so I can go down at lunchtime and do my workout. Trouble is, by the time I walk down and back, get changed into and out of gym clothes, I've really only got time to rush 2/3 through a regular workout and that's by skipping a proper cooldown & stretch. If I just go after work then I end up getting home that much later. Hence, I'm thinking of doing a double split purely to be more efficient with my time. So I go down at lunchtime and do half my routine, then after work I finish it off. I do full-body HST routines so I can easily split it that way.

But what about PWO shakes, which have been extremely beneficial in the past? If I have one after my lunchtime workout then another after my evening workout is that getting too much?

My PWO shake consists of a roughly 50:50 mix of crushed oats and dextro/malto plus serving of whey. Normally I combine it with a dose of YG or AP just before the end of my workout.
    1. You need to sit down and work out how much time you HAVE available per session if you decide to go at lunch-time. You can get an effective training session done in 20-30 minutes if that's all you have...Otherwise, what's wrong with getting home later from work?...Or you could just get up earlier and go to the gym BEFORE you go to work!

2. A cool-down and stretching are not compulsory nor needed after a resistance training session. If one is not used to exercise then a cool-down is recommended so that they do not just stop exercising; but in your case you are getting a cool-down going back to work. And stretching can be done pre-bed or when you get home from work or after a hot shower; pretty much any time that you have WARM muscles (NEVER stretch cold!)

3. If you decided to go two sessions a day I would ask yourself if it was going to be more beneficial that managing your time and completing your sessions in the time you have. I would not recommend doing two-a-day resistance training sessions unless it was going to help you re your goals and needs, or unless you were eating enough to cover the costs of the extra energy expended.

4. If you do two resistance training sessions then you can definitely have two postworkout shakes; it is NOT going to be too many calories (and remember that you SHOULD have a PROPER meal ~30 minutes after your shake).

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  3. Registered User
    Answers

*sigh*

I knew somebody would say "Why don't you just do one workout" so I specifically explained my reasoning behind not doing so. There it is nevertheless, "Why don't you just do one workout."

And stretching not necessary after resistance training? With every expert I have ever read all agreeing that post-weight training stretching assists in alleviating blood pooling and increasing recovery? No, I'm not going to listen to you on this one, I believe you are wrong. Post-workout cool-down and stretching is not only universally recognised as important but I can tell you from my experience that I feel loads better from doing it, and I will not skip it.
    •   

4. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Answers

Dude, she's saying you could reorganize your workout so you could get all done at once. If you don't want to do that, fine, but there's no need to be a ****. Yes, you explained yourself; and she offered an alternative.

Wanna stretch? Go for it. But if you've only got 45min to train and it takes you, say, 15min to "cooldown and stretch" that's a lot of lifting that you are missing out on. Probably more detrimental to decrease your lifting by the amount you could accomplish than the small benefit you receive from stretching.

But that's regarding the one workout concept.

If you're gonna lift twice a day, by all means use PWO shakes after both. However, I'd only stretch after the evening session, so as to maximize lifting time at lunch. After the evening session you won't be pressed for time and go through a thorough stretching routine.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Thudd View Post
    *sigh*

I knew somebody would say "Why don't you just do one workout" so I specifically explained my reasoning behind not doing so. There it is nevertheless, "Why don't you just do one workout."

And stretching not necessary after resistance training? With every expert I have ever read all agreeing that post-weight training stretching assists in alleviating blood pooling and increasing recovery? No, I'm not going to listen to you on this one, I believe you are wrong. Post-workout cool-down and stretching is not only universally recognised as important but I can tell you from my experience that I feel loads better from doing it, and I will not skip it.
    As mentioned, I gave you ALTERNATIVES since you were complaining about your "lack" of time.

I don't know where you get your ideas (and remember that every "expert" is not always an expert). A cool-down and stretching is NOT necessary after resistance training. It is recommended for beginners or those just starting out, to get them used to exercising and minimizing risk of suddenly stopping exercise; but for seasoned trainees, not compulsory. Cool-downs are only to decrease the intensity of exercise and bring heart rate back to a non-exercising level. I DO recommend stretching as part of a complete exercise/training programme; but stretching can be done at ANY time of the day as long as the muscles are warm (i.e. I almost never stretch after a resistance session, but I do stretch at least once a day for 20-30 minutes when my muscles are warm), so not necessarily AFTER training. And stretching is for flexibility more than anything. You DO need to find what works best for YOU, though. And I suggest that you research and educate yourself with science and not just what others say.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Answers

I've read that Vince Gironda used to do something similar with his more advanced BB's. They'd workout, then go eat a steak dinner, then take a nap. Later in the day, they'd do another workout.

I'm not saying I'm recommending your plan, but if I were to do it, I'd make sure that I was properly hydrated, fed and rested before I did my second workout. If you're not properly rested, you'll be doing more harm than good.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Look up super conditioning, it is where you work out then 5-6 hours workout again so you can increase the amount of volume for your workouts overall
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. shakes
    By learn in forum Recipes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 03:28 PM
  2. Shakes anyone?
    By TipTopShape in forum Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM