What do you recommend for post-workout supplements?

BlondGrim

Awards
All I've been taking is protien. I've heard a banana is good to? Anything else you guys think would be beneficial? Thanks beforehand for all answers.

tstinson

Awards
I just have my protein shake: 2 scoops whey, banana, ice, nonfat milk/water. Would be interested in what others are doing.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
50G Dextrose/25G Protein/5G Creatine

This works for me. I never needed anymore carbs or protein to see good results.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
DTP after i lift it keeps me jackd till bed

UKStrength

30g of Whey Isolate

30g waxy maize starch, 30g dextrose

5g Creatine Monohydrate

I sometimes throw in an insulin mimicker if I've feeling flush ;)

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
30g of Whey Isolate

30g waxy maize starch, 30g dextrose

5g Creatine Monohydrate

I sometimes throw in an insulin mimicker if I've feeling flush ;)
I like that mix. I might have to give the waxy maize a shot.

simpleton

Banned
Awards
You want faster digesting carbs + protein after a workout. That being said I really like Torrent. I have 3 killer workouts a week and use Torrent post workout, the 6 lb tub lasts me a little over 2 months.

I used ~60g dextrose and ~40g whey concentrate previously, and while it was cheap the 60$ I spend for Torrent every 2 months is worth it to me. And i'm a cheapo.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
You want faster digesting carbs + protein after a workout. That being said I really like Torrent. I have 3 killer workouts a week and use Torrent post workout, the 6 lb tub lasts me a little over 2 months.

I used ~60g dextrose and ~40g whey concentrate previously, and while it was cheap the 60$ I spend for Torrent every 2 months is worth it to me. And i'm a cheapo.
Whey concentrate? How about your isolates?

simpleton

Banned
Awards
Well I haven't done as much research on Whey as i've been really busy. I'm a student and consistently have 14-18 hour days. I usually just buy a tub of ON 100% and I'm pretty sure it's concentrate. Whenever I was checking prices I know Isolates were a bit more expensive, I really didn't want to buy both and use one just for post. If I was gonna splurge on Isolate I figured i'd just buy a PWO formula that was premixed and had what I needed.

I've been meaning to try All The Whey's whey, but right now 4-5 scoops of ON a day and Torrent 3x a week works great for me, isn't out of my price range, and is convenient. I'll usually spend a little more for convenience since to me time = $$$. If I was lifting heavy 4-5 days a week Torrent probably would not be worth it to me and I'd go the bulk route because it wouldn't be as cost effective to me.

If you have any recommendations for quality Whey that doesn't break the bank, I'm all ears.

GetSwoll

GetSwoll

Banned
Awards
Unless youre competing, its not really going to make a difference.

To the guy who started this thread....You're only 158 lbs, youre not going to need as much dextrose or wm as someone 250 lbs. So tailor the amount of carbs to your own needs/LBM.

P.S. only a handful of fruit varieties are going to contain enough glucose to replenish muscle glycogen. Avoid Sucrose and fructose as much as possible.

All its going to do is replenish liver glycogen. And excess may contribute to fat gain. Raisins/Grapes are pretty high in glucose. If i had to choose one fruit post workout, grapes for sure.

Other post workout supps to think about: AAKG or AEE and Vitamins (especially anti-oxidants)

wingzors

Awards
I notice noone said much about bcaa, does a lot of everyones protein come with them already in it?

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would suggest a well-rounded meal over any supplement.
Food for thought . ;)

jmoney02

Awards
I've noticed people mention "waxy maize" in several threads. Do you buy it as a supplement or is it contained in particular foods you eat post workout?

Ddono25

Awards
Anabolic Window from Nutrabolics. Apple Melon is the best tasting supplement ever. Has everything you need. I took it for two tubs, about 8 weeks, and have never received more comments on my size and growth than that time.

Low and High GI carbs.
Whey Hydrolysates and Isolates.
Glutamine.
Mag Creatine Chelate.
K-R-Alpha Lipoic Acid.
Taurine.
Citrulline.
Estered BCAA's.

Game Over it works great. Sooo expensive though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
20g BCAA
60g WMS
25g SuperCarb
2 scoops TheSize

30-45 minutes later

Protein shake with fruit or full meal, depending if anything is cooked up and/or time.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
good advice so far...I would add MULTIVITAMIN as well as a good antioxidant formula.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've noticed people mention "waxy maize" in several threads. Do you buy it as a supplement or is it contained in particular foods you eat post workout?
Don't get waxy maize read my post in it. Go with vitargo or carbolyn.

bigshoulders

Awards
fwiw I take the following for a typical 40 minute workout:

15g Whey Isolate
10g Whey Hydrolysate
10g BCAAs
40g Dextrose
300ml Low fat Milk
10g Creatine
1g each of:
Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, ALCAR, L Taurine
200mg Caffeine
250mg Resveratrol
500mg tablet of Alpha Lipoic Acid

A lot but I feel each one contributes something :)

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I would suggest a well-rounded meal over any supplement.
Food for thought . ;)
Nice. Torrent's got WPH and 8,000mg of free form leucine among other goodies...

With respect to Nutrient Timing, post-workout is one of the few times where using a supplement might actually be superior to food...

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

gottabecool

Awards
fwiw I take the following for a typical 40 minute workout:

15g Whey Isolate
10g Whey Hydrolysate
10g BCAAs
40g Dextrose
300ml Low fat Milk
10g Creatine
1g each of:
Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate, ALCAR, L Taurine
200mg Caffeine
250mg Resveratrol
500mg tablet of Alpha Lipoic Acid

A lot but I feel each one contributes something :)

wow.

I just do about 40-50g of mostly whey variations and usually a handful of gummi bears and maybe a banana. I also add a half a scoop of "Creadrive" (Creatine + sugar) for about 2.5 grams of creatine post. I take the other 2.5 grams with my pre-workout.

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
DTP after i lift it keeps me jackd till bed
Curious what you mean by "jackd". Do you mean it gives you energy/stim effect?

Post wo for me is usually-
1 scoop Whey protein blend=22g protein
1/3 cup of oats=20g carbs

or if I have energy to cook

Steak and eggs=50g protein + <5g carbs or Spinach/Brocolli and cheese omellette=30g protein + <10g carbs

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
hows this?
-WHey
- coconut juice/water
- banana
- spirulina