Dr. Kessler ordered the FDA NOT to enforce DSHEA for 10 years.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The History Future of the Dietary Supplement Health Education Act
Excerpt from the article:

Kessler was so infuriated by the enactment of DSHEA, however, that he ordered FDA not to enforce the new law. Initially, this was not widely understood. As time has gone on, however, former FDA enforcement officials have admitted that, for the first full decade under DSHEA, FDA took virtually no enforcement action because of Kessler’s policy. Kessler was convinced if the law was not enforced and the worst elements of the dietary supplement industry were allowed to run wild, Congress would repeal the law. Of course, that did not occur. For a full decade, however, Kessler sacrificed protection of the public health to his own personal animosity toward DSHEA

So let me get this straight. A compensated government official, in a state of tantrum, orders an entire taxpayer-funded agency NOT to perform the duties that it was paid to do?

I wonder if this douchebag can be sued and forced to return his 10 years of salary?

No wonder we're suddenly hit with an insane backlash.

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
whoa??... Kessler had absolute power over that?

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
So let me get this straight. A compensated government official, in a state of tantrum, orders an entire taxpayer-funded agency NOT to perform the duties that it was paid to do?

I wonder if this douchebag can be sued and forced to return his 10 years of salary?
:rippedhand:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For a full decade, however, Kessler sacrificed protection of the public health to his own personal animosity toward DSHEA.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

If he did enforce it RPN (Havoc) and other companies of the like would not exist. Because he did not enforce it RPN (Havoc) and other companies of the like exist.

So, do you want to have your cake, or do you want to eat your cake?

Sue him, retroactively enact the law, and retro-prosecute too?

Just sayin'...

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I second that.

I have not read the act but the US supplement industry at first sight appears to be a bit of a wild-west town.

Some supplement are prescription medication and used out of context (sulbutiamine is a good example), agreed that AX went and then made sulbutiamine more effective that the prescription drug (just take SX if you've chronic fatigue). Its a great product. Would that have happened had the act been enforced? I dunno but AX appears to be in the job of 'drug development' if the FDA took control of that there's no way the product could be delivered at the price.

The supplement/herbalism industry uses synergy to achieve its aims, standard precriptions stuff doesn't, i.e. you combine supplements to achieve an effect greater than using one alone. It uses cycles and watches tolerance, prescription stuff never does that. Its an ethos in health that shouldn't be ignored.

Do you want your health regulated by pharmaceutical companies, black-market suppliers, or poor quality controlled Chinese medicines?

It was rumoured the FDA was looking into banning P5P (vit B6).

Supplements are a knowledge game thats all. I say full marks for the US health industry.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

If he did enforce it RPN (Havoc) and other companies of the like would not exist. Because he did not enforce it RPN (Havoc) and other companies of the like exist.

So, do you want to have your cake, or do you want to eat your cake?

Sue him, retroactively enact the law, and retro-prosecute too?

Just sayin'...

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"During the 1950s, FDA, with the assistance of FTC, launched the most intensive enforcement campaign in agency history. FDA brought hundreds of seizures, injunctions and criminal actions in the courts against what the agency concluded were misbranded dietary supplements."

"In retrospect, the entire dietary supplement industry owes its current stature and economic strength to David Kessler. Without him, DSHEA would never have been enacted. It was his arrogance and political insensitivity that allowed the champions of dietary supplements to carry their message to the American public, and it was the American public that rejected Kessler’s attempt to ban dietary supplements. I have often remarked that the dietary supplement industry should erect a monument to David Kessler in commemoration of his tremendous service to the industry."

"DSHEA did not give dietary supplements a free pass to the marketplace. In fact, I have published a detailed analysis of DSHEA that concludes the law provides FDA with ample legal authority to prohibit all unsafe or mislabeled dietary supplements in the marketplace. In some respects, its enforcement provisions are stronger than those applicable to other food categories."

"For the most part, FDA has done a reasonable job in distinguishing between permissible structure/function claims for dietary supplements and impermissible disease claims. The 50-page preamble to the January 2000 FDA regulations defining the difference between a permitted structure/function claim and an illegal disease claim establishes guidelines that are workable, even if large parts are unintelligible. FDA has not sought to erect barriers to reasonable structure/function claims for dietary supplements."

"She has outlined a program of increased warning letters and seizure actions against significant violations. As some of her first actions, she has singled out dietary supplement products that contain active pharmaceutical ingredients or that act like illegal steroid products. This is a good sign for the dietary supplement industry, which has argued for 15 years that adequate enforcement is essential for the proper implementation of DSHEA—renegade companies and products harm the entire industry."

Lying, sneaking, misleading...:think:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Man this whole system is so messed up...but if they go hog wild banning crap...I demand MSG and HFCS and aspartame banned. They do more damage than most of the things being sought out and banned. But alot of companies make money off of those....

Also get rid of the fatty cake industry...you trying to protect the consumer? A microwave burger in a vending machine with 1400mg of sodium is downright deadly.... A cinnamin bun with 63 grams of carbs(39 which is sugar) is downright stupid(and possibly deadly).... I mean...I dont see many people messed up from supplements, but from the food industry...Wow...just wow....

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man this whole system is so messed up...but if they go hog wild banning crap...I demand MSG and HFCS and aspartame banned. They do more damage than most of the things being sought out and banned. But alot of companies make money off of those....

Also get rid of the fatty cake industry...you trying to protect the consumer? A microwave burger in a vending machine with 1400mg of sodium is downright deadly.... A cinnamin bun with 63 grams of carbs(39 which is sugar) is downright stupid(and possibly deadly).... I mean...I dont see many people messed up from supplements, but from the food industry...Wow...just wow....
Read what I bolded - "dietary supplements", "misbranded", "mislabled", "active pharmaceuticals", "illegal steroids", "renegade companies and products harm the entire industry."

Guidelines have been established. If it is labeled with 1400mg of sodium and I consume it it is my business. If it is labeled with MSG, HFCS or aspartame and I consume it it is my business. None are mislabeled, misleading, deceptive or illegal to purchase or possess.

The issue is not protecting you from your poor health choices and lifestyle. The issue is you being lied to, misinformed, mislead and put in a position of taking unknown health risk when consuming something that is marketed and labeled as a nutritional health supplement.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Read what I bolded - "dietary supplements", "misbranded", "mislabled", "active pharmaceuticals", "illegal steroids", "renegade companies and products harm the entire industry."

Guidelines have been established. If it is labeled with 1400mg of sodium and I consume it it is my business. If it is labeled with MSG, HFCS or aspartame and I consume it it is my business. None are mislabeled, misleading, deceptive or illegal to purchase or possess.

The issue is not protecting you from your poor health choices and lifestyle. The issue is you being lied to, misinformed, mislead and put in a position of taking unknown health risk when consuming something that is marketed and labeled as a nutritional health supplement.
You expect us to read and not to jump to wild, uneducated, misinformed, knee-jerk conclusions?! Good day to you, sir.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
You expect us to read and not to jump to wild, uneducated, misinformed, knee-jerk conclusions?! Good day to you, sir.
:icon_lol:

What's a car-bow-kai-drate?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established

That is called being a lazy b@stard, has nothing to do, solely, with the food....at least, NOT SOLELY.

Disclaimer: This is not directed towards anyone that is mentally or physically disabled, just people of able body and mind.