phenibut withdrawl

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
So I saw alot of posts on phenibut on this forum and thought it'd be a nice alternative to that occasional beer I like to have when I go out. I bought 100g for $20 and took a few grams occasionally and then friday I ran out.

Sunday the unexpected withdrawl started. I mean I heard there were some withdrawl symptoms but holysh*t. I mean I am so depressed I can't drag myself to the gym, I can barely function at work, I have no appetite, I sleep no more than 2 hours a night but am never tired, my palms are constantly sweating, I have the worst shakes, I'm sweating but I'm freezing cold......

wtf.... pray for me guys. I feel awful. Does anyone know how long this will last? I can't function.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
How frequently were you taking it? How many grams? I limit myself to a MAXIMUM of once per week and never more than 5 grams. When I first started using it I would use it every couple days and when I ran out I experienced the depression and inability to sleep, hence why I limit myself so much now. It only lasted a few days for me.

I've heard of many people having similar withdrawals as you and most seem to agree that it only lasts about a week, possibly a bit longer. I would say you should start feeling better in about 3 or 4 days at most. Just hang in there. You'll be fine.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
How frequently were you taking it? How many grams? I limit myself to a MAXIMUM of once per week and never more than 5 grams. When I first started using it I would use it every couple days and when I ran out I experienced the depression and inability to sleep, hence why I limit myself so much now. It only lasted a few days for me.

I've heard of many people having similar withdrawals as you and most seem to agree that it only lasts about a week, possibly a bit longer. I would say you should start feeling better in about 3 or 4 days at most. Just hang in there. You'll be fine.
Thanks bro. Yeah I was taking it once weekly and only a gram but it didn't seem to have a downside so gradually I upped it. Last week I took it 3 times, about 4-6 grams each dose and it kept be feeling good for about 24 hours. Last dose was Friday and depression kicked in on Monday. I'm starting to snap out of it but still feeling pretty down. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be my normal self. As for me I think I'm going to stay off it.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I felt what I think is permanent side effects to phenibut. As much as I want to use it sometimes I stay away from it anymore. I feel it left me with more anxiety and more sleep issues. It's no joke. Strongest legal anxiety supplement I've tried.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I felt what I think is permanent side effects to phenibut. As much as I want to use it sometimes I stay away from it anymore. I feel it left me with more anxiety and more sleep issues. It's no joke. Strongest legal anxiety supplement I've tried.
Geez please don't tell me this feeling could be permanent. I'm honestly unable to function i feel so down and depressed right now. I'm crawling out of my skin. I only used that one 100g tub of it. This really sucks.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Wow, 6 gram dosing, I'd be SOOOO sick on that. 500mg works for me...if I took 6g I think I'd sleep for 20 hours and wake up in a pool of vomit.

I'd just stay off it, its gonna get better.

Rhodiola always seemed to make my pheni. hangovers go away, so Id say try using that during the with.

(I very rarely touch this stuff anymore, doens't feel 'good' to me anymore)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Geez please don't tell me this feeling could be permanent. I'm honestly unable to function i feel so down and depressed right now. I'm crawling out of my skin. I only used that one 100g tub of it. This really sucks.
The worst of it shouldn't be. The brain will rebound. It's just that you desensitize the gaba receptor in your brain that phenibut targets. Also has a effect on dopamine as well. I've gone through a couple 100g tubs. I still have some left. I don't know why I haven't thrown it out yet. There's a reason why it's a pharm drug in other countries.

DenDestroys

Awards

Sounds like me with xanax. I would've been better to never get on the ****, than to deal with all the after-effects.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like me with xanax. I would've been better to never get on the ****, than to deal with all the after-effects.
I hear horror stories about benzo's and benzo withdrawl that's why i've always tried to stay away from them. Unfortunately I managed to mess myself up without pharms. I've managed to reach similar effects with different combinations of supplements. I've learned just cause they are natural or legal doesn't make them safe.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
You guys that are taking the larger 5-6g dose, are you dividing the dosage or all at once?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Phenibut is very similar to benzo's, from all I've read and experienced.
OP, the good news is, these side effects will not last forever. stay vigilant and after a period of time it will get better!!!

that's a pretty hefty dose of phenibut. i usually take about 1g and feel the effects. phenibut should be respected, it's not like creatine...

GABA withdrawals are no laughing matter. just stay away from it or taper your dose down to 1g per day, then 1g every other day, etc. try to stay away from alcohol when your coming off, as well.

comacho

comacho

Awards
  • Established
Does piracetam really work for withdrawal?
heard this too, wonder if this true

if piracetam and other cholinergic compounds can resenstize GABA receptors then maybe so and having high level choline may not cause the depressive mode....this all guesswork, would love to hear some real feedback

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I think I read somewhere that this stuff technically isn't even a natural extract, but a man made chemical. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Bump, on this! So many on this forum seem to be in LOVE with Phenibut or maybe it's a real addiction. Just started Phenibut xt, and found this thread. Now I am worried about addiction and withdrawl.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Bump, on this! So many on this forum seem to be in LOVE with Phenibut or maybe it's a real addiction. Just started Phenibut xt, and found this thread. Now I am worried about addiction and withdrawl.
Start out with low dose, to assess your tolerance. Phenibut is not an everyday supplement.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
As long as you don't take too much too often you'll be ok. I can tell you it's not an addiction for me. I still limit myself to once a week at most as I said in the second post. I've gone 3+ weeks without it and experienced no withdrawal by dosing this way.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Oh CC .. sorry to hear this bro.

Firstly this isn't a problem. A GABA agonist and a mild one at that isn't terminal at all. There's no damage to your body - you've just got a dependence. Just wean it.

I'd go to your physcian and work out a method of tapering down phenibut. You can't quit it at present - you need to taper.

Don't touch benzos even if your physician offers them, never ever unless you've drink problems. Buspar could well help here - it is probably more potent than phenibut and has no tolerance problems. You taper phenibut and up Buspar and then later taper Buspar would be a cool way out.

Also GABOB could help alleviate some of the symptoms.

What you've gotta understand is there is a route of just about most problems - unless dopamine euphoria related (aka stupidity IMO but the popular view is [sadly] different).

I pray bro! .. but you've gotta believe.

So I saw alot of posts on phenibut on this forum and thought it'd be a nice alternative to that occasional beer I like to have when I go out. I bought 100g for $20 and took a few grams occasionally and then friday I ran out.

Sunday the unexpected withdrawl started. I mean I heard there were some withdrawl symptoms but holysh*t. I mean I am so depressed I can't drag myself to the gym, I can barely function at work, I have no appetite, I sleep no more than 2 hours a night but am never tired, my palms are constantly sweating, I have the worst shakes, I'm sweating but I'm freezing cold......

wtf.... pray for me guys. I feel awful. Does anyone know how long this will last? I can't function.

RSS Admin

Awards
GABA withdrawal can last a very, very long time. Symptoms can can be felt for up to 6 months depending on your dosage and duration of use and you may never feel the same. I am not saying this to scare you, but rather to warn you and others that this is not something one wants to play around with (I speak from personal experience). The pharmaceutical they give you for GABA withdrawal is called chlordiazepoxide (brand name Librium), a benzodiazepine with an extremely short half life, meant to enter the body, satisfy the receptors, and exit quickly. Given the fact that you obviously will not be able to obtain this drug, your best bet is to taper down off of the substance because quitting cold turkey can have serious side effects, including seizures. I would start with a dose far lower than what would normally make you feel the effect of the substance and gradually work your way up until you feel the cessation of the withdrawal symptoms. From there, taper down weekly. In the mean time let someone know what's going on in case they need to check on you.

The common side effects you'll feel are insomnia, weight loss, depression, diarrhea, anxiety, tremors, cold sweats, feeling "disconnected" from your body, and lack of appetite.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
Guys, keep in mind that CrazyChemist posted this almost 4 months ago. I'm pretty sure he's fine now.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
try some htp5 with vit d3? some melatonin maybe as well i heared weed is a downregulator for the receptor so that might help as well

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
the one that gets over burned from using phenibut i belive i read about ti sometime ago on here

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
How this stuff is even legal is beyond me. Ive experienced benzodiazapene withdrawals, as well as opiate withdrawals, and let me tell you, I took 2 doses of Somnidren, just 2 doses, and the following few days after were some of the worst days in recent memory (and this was a while ago). Horrible feeling. Way worse then the worst day of an opiate withdrawal.

One thing Ive learned with supps is be very careful and thoroughly research what your doing.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
phenibut withdrawal is not even close to true benzo or opiate withdrawal. ive experienced both. opiate withdrawal was hell, 9 months on OC upwards of 240-320mg/day then 0mg. and to top it off i was in jail

spartan300

Awards
subbed

if i have time, ill try to look thru my neuroanatomy notes

this is my i dont like messing with gaba receptors

h22t88

Awards
phenibut withdrawal is not even close to true benzo or opiate withdrawal. ive experienced both. opiate withdrawal was hell, 9 months on OC upwards of 240-320mg/day then 0mg. and to top it off i was in jail
Yeah...I have to say, I've been using phenibut off and on for around 2 years. I usually work my tolerance up to about 25g a day before I start coming off of it (wash out). I also take 3-4g of Klonopin on top of that. I usually taper down the dose over about three days 15/10/5 and stay on Klonopin. The withdrawl sucks for a good week for me. Just really hopeless depression. Not wanting to do ANYTHING. I don't think it is that bad probably because I've been through multiple benzo and hardcore acohol withdrawls in the past which have landed me in the hospital multiple times with seizures etc. I guess what I'm getting at is, you should slowly taper this stuff down if you are going to use it. I can't even slightly compare the withdrawl to benzo, opiate or alcohol. I talked to CC before he used this and I recommended it to him. He loved it (like everyone) until he experienced the withdrawl. If I knew it was going to be like that for him I would have never told him to try it and I feel bad now. I just got another 500g and am going back on it for a while. It works wonders for me and keeps me off the bottle.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Its a funny thing 'cause you'd have thought e.g. theanine might cause problems but it doesn't. Must be self limiting somehow. There are so many (supplement/drug) levers over the GABA system ... anyway I'll say it again I think Buspar (sp?) should be used instead of phenibut for serious tolerance. Its only a theoretical idea but I don't see why it shouldn't work - should be more potent and zip dependency.

h22t88

Awards
Its a funny thing 'cause you'd have thought e.g. theanine might cause problems but it doesn't. Must be self limiting somehow. There are so many (supplement/drug) levers over the GABA system ... anyway I'll say it again I think Buspar (sp?) should be used instead of phenibut for serious tolerance. Its only a theoretical idea but I don't see why it shouldn't work - should be more potent and zip dependency.
Could you give me a run down again on the Buspar theory. I know we've talked a little about it before but I forgot where it was. Buspar instead of phenibut for anxiety?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I love theanine. The tolerance just builds so quickly, and 500-1000mg is the effective dosage. A very under-rated supplement.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Buspar is a very safe GABA agonist. There is no dependency and it augments (stacks in med. speak) well with lots of things. It will be more effective than phenibut.

I would go steady with phenibut personally -- tell them you are generating dependency and that using Buspar we can quit it. In the OTC forum I described it in more detail.

At least check it out with your medic and refer it upwards (they might not want to stack at prescription level). Its just you are using phenibut like a drug and you are better off using pharmaceutical stuff instead.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Yeah...I have to say, I've been using phenibut off and on for around 2 years. I usually work my tolerance up to about 25g a day before I start coming off of it (wash out). I also take 3-4g of Klonopin on top of that. I usually taper down the dose over about three days 15/10/5 and stay on Klonopin. The withdrawl sucks for a good week for me. Just really hopeless depression. Not wanting to do ANYTHING. I don't think it is that bad probably because I've been through multiple benzo and hardcore acohol withdrawls in the past which have landed me in the hospital multiple times with seizures etc. I guess what I'm getting at is, you should slowly taper this stuff down if you are going to use it. I can't even slightly compare the withdrawl to benzo, opiate or alcohol. I talked to CC before he used this and I recommended it to him. He loved it (like everyone) until he experienced the withdrawl. If I knew it was going to be like that for him I would have never told him to try it and I feel bad now. I just got another 500g and am going back on it for a while. It works wonders for me and keeps me off the bottle.
Naw don't feel bad bro. It was my own stupid fault for not running it correctly. I let myself run out and then didn't bother ordering more till the withdrawl kicked in completely. Having never really gone thru a withdrawl like that it really sucked, especially because i didnt really see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now that its over and done with I might consider running it again, this time correctly stepping down off the stuff when the time comes. I think it'll be better next time around. And i appreciate all ur help up to this point.

h22t88

Awards
You bet CC. I apreciate all your advice as well. Dude, if you want to run it again, the new batch of NP is the sh*it! They weren't just hyping it up about being a lot better. Best stuff on the market right now (and I've tried 'em all). At $135 for 500g you can't beat it. We were using Prima at $40 per 100g because it was the only good brand left.

Thanks again NP for addressing the potency issue and keeping it affordable even at high doses.

h22t88

Awards
Buspar is a very safe GABA agonist. There is no dependency and it augments (stacks in med. speak) well with lots of things. It will be more effective than phenibut.

I would go steady with phenibut personally -- tell them you are generating dependency and that using Buspar we can quit it. In the OTC forum I described it in more detail.

At least check it out with your medic and refer it upwards (they might not want to stack at prescription level). Its just you are using phenibut like a drug and you are better off using pharmaceutical stuff instead.
Gotcha...I'll look into it. Thing is, I'm almost sure phenibut has to work on other receptors in some ways besides just being a GABA-B agonist. I can take 6 grams of klonopin (potent stuff) or any other benzo and not get 10% of the euphoria that phenibut produces. The massive antidepressant qualities alone make me wonder. Klonopin and drugs of the like don't have anti-depressant effects. So idk. If anyone know more on this subject please chime in.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
You bet CC. I apreciate all your advice as well. Dude, if you want to run it again, the new batch of NP is the sh*it! They weren't just hyping it up about being a lot better. Best stuff on the market right now (and I've tried 'em all). At $135 for 500g you can't beat it. We were using Prima at $40 per 100g because it was the only good brand left.

Thanks again NP for addressing the potency issue and keeping it affordable even at high doses.
Yeah - my wife was worried when i was withdrawing cause i was so depressed so she doesnt want me to run it even tho she took it a few times and liked it. I respect her opinion and perspective so I'll discuss it with her. It'd be nice to have an alternative to a beer come springtime.

h22t88

Awards
So I have fully researched Buspar and unfortunately it is nothing like phenibut. I've talked to some people that use it and they said it's not even that great for anxiety or depression. I was hoping it was going to be worth getting a script for but oh well. My doctor said she would not recommend it.

h22t88

Awards
I asked my doctor if there is any Rx remotely close to phenibut and she said "unfortunatly there isn't" She knows it's the only thing that we have tried that reduces my need for benzos or SSRI's or SNRI's. She said it's fine that I take it. "You are just going to increase your tolerance though". I completely stopped taking Prestiq which is the best anti depressant on the market. Used it for six months with no benefit.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
The info is actually wrong, but for a practitioners point of view it is partially true.

Baclofen is a script that is a stronger version of phenibut, its basically the same thing. At the time the FDA wouldn't approve it as an anti-convulsant but it got approval for anti-spasm.

To get a script for it you'd need an involuntary movement, you can't get it as a phenibut replacement and its not clear whether this would be a good idea in any case. I don't think Baclofen has strong tolerance but I forget.

Phenibut has dependency but this ain't true of all GABA agonists, Busperione, nor is there a risk of damage in long term use.

h22t88 is a strong position to get appropriate consultation. With CC its just a learning curve, good its come good bro.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha...I'll look into it. Thing is, I'm almost sure phenibut has to work on other receptors in some ways besides just being a GABA-B agonist. I can take 6 grams of klonopin (potent stuff) or any other benzo and not get 10% of the euphoria that phenibut produces. The massive antidepressant qualities alone make me wonder. Klonopin and drugs of the like don't have anti-depressant effects. So idk. If anyone know more on this subject please chime in.
That could be true .. phenibut could have some dopamine activity. This would make sense and is where you are getting the euphoria. It wouldn't be surprising because GABA and dopamine have a weird link.

There are other agonists of dopamine and reuptake stuff that could plug this gap.

RSS Admin

Awards
I've been on baclofen before, it's actually prescribed for epileptic seizures and has a "side effect" of reducing anxiety in "some instances" and has a recommended dosing of 2 months before you're supposed to feel results. I personally felt absolutely nothing and would not recommend pursuing this as a drug of choice.

To h22t88: I hope you meant to type that you were taking 6mg of klonopin (clonazepam) and not 6g. 6g is instant death and if you can take that much you have a very, very serious problem and need hospitalization.

The info is actually wrong, but for a practitioners point of view it is partially true.

Baclofen is a script that is a stronger version of phenibut, its basically the same thing. At the time the FDA wouldn't approve it as an anti-convulsant but it got approval for anti-spasm.

To get a script for it you'd need an involuntary movement, you can't get it as a phenibut replacement and its not clear whether this would be a good idea in any case. I don't think Baclofen has strong tolerance but I forget.

Phenibut has dependency but this ain't true of all GABA agonists, Busperione, nor is there a risk of damage in long term use.

h22t88 is a strong position to get appropriate consultation. With CC its just a learning curve, good its come good bro.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
I've been on baclofen before, it's actually prescribed for epileptic seizures and has a "side effect" of reducing anxiety in "some instances" and has a recommended dosing of 2 months before you're supposed to feel results. I personally felt absolutely nothing and would not recommend pursuing this as a drug of choice.

To h22t88: I hope you meant to type that you were taking 6mg of klonopin (clonazepam) and not 6g. ...
Thats interesting its now used as an anticonvulescent (?) its original intended use. Chemically it is very similar to phenibut. Whats clear is it doesn't have rapid tolerance.

Sure he meant 6mg.

mkennedy828

Awards
I am in day 5 of withdrawal right now. The worst of it is over, just have a tightness on the top of my head, tingling skin, and a slightly elevated heart rate at times. I stopped cold after using 7-12g everyday for 2 months. After reading I realize I should have tapered down. My question is, is there any need to get back on and taper down at this point? I ask b/c I've read that there is seizure potential from stopping gaba agonists cold turkey. I really don't want to have to go through more WD effects again. Should I just stay off at this point or would it be safer to get back on and taper (or is that pointless now)? Longterm what is best

h22t88

Awards
That could be true .. phenibut could have some dopamine activity. This would make sense and is where you are getting the euphoria. It wouldn't be surprising because GABA and dopamine have a weird link.

There are other agonists of dopamine and reuptake stuff that could plug this gap.
Yeah...there has to be something else going on there. There are a few other dopamine related drugs out there. The MAOI Deprenyl is the go to one in most cases. Once again...did nothing for me. I still have a full bottle of it that I never used. MAOI's are no joke either. SERIOUS risk of serotonin syndrome. It is a great drug if you mix it with some PEA throughout the day but damn...it just begs for binging. Take a little bit too much PEA and you go from feeling pretty good to feeling like you just blew 4 rails of coke back to back. Scary ****

Not sure what info you're referring to that is wrong. At this point I get get a script for anything I think might work. Been on Baclofen..Gabapentin you name it. No help there either. I must be a real specimin because none of that sh*t works on me. I've had three serious seizures from accidental benzo withdrawl. I've even been prescribe Neurontin for anxiety with no luck. When I say I've run the guantlet of these kind of neuro drugs I really mean it! I am not aware of any long term damage from klonopin or phenibut. I keep hearing all these attempts to get me off of klonopin and phenibut. I don't really want to. I'm content with popping a few pills a day and living a normal panic free life. I like the phenibut because it works and is cost effective. Even if I do have to go off for a while from time to time. It's better than no relief at all.

To h22t88: I hope you meant to type that you were taking 6mg of klonopin (clonazepam) and not 6g. 6g is instant death and if you can take that much you have a very, very serious problem and need hospitalization.
Yeah...mg

Thats interesting its now used as an anticonvulescent (?) its original intended use. Chemically it is very similar to phenibut. Whats clear is it doesn't have rapid tolerance.

Sure he meant 6mg.
I am in day 5 of withdrawal right now. The worst of it is over, just have a tightness on the top of my head, tingling skin, and a slightly elevated heart rate at times. I stopped cold after using 7-12g everyday for 2 months. After reading I realize I should have tapered down. My question is, is there any need to get back on and taper down at this point? I ask b/c I've read that there is seizure potential from stopping gaba agonists cold turkey. I really don't want to have to go through more WD effects again. Should I just stay off at this point or would it be safer to get back on and taper (or is that pointless now)? Longterm what is best
I wouldn't go back on. You're through the worst of it. Every day will get easier. A lot of people theorize that pheni could cause seizures from abrup withdrawl but I have yet to hear of one case where it actually happened.

labrada800

Awards
I used a supplement which contains phenibut citrate and gaba both and i used it for about 2.5 or 3weeks continuously only one serving as recommended by the company.I didn't have any knowledge about phenibut when i used it so when stopped taking that supp i noticed some withdrawal effects after maybe 24 hrs of withdrawal and it was just a nightmare for about 6 days I went to doctor on 5th day and he recommended me diazepam 10mg and lafutidine 10mg i never took diazepam as i have read about its withdrawal on other blogs but i took a single dose of lafutidine.It helped in curing some of the nausea but help as at minimun .I never slept for 6 days I was in intense depression and was feeling extremely nauseous when comes to eating food and ended up in severe loss of appetite finally on 7th day i was able to sleep good and all the symptoms was gone i started sleeping at regular bed times was very happy to get rid of the symptoms after the 7th day the symptoms was gone for maybe 4-5days and then on the night of 11th day the symptoms begin to return as i wake up at 3:30 am and again slowly slowly started feeling depressed,guilty and same extremely nauseous.I was not able to sleep after that and around 11:00am i was feeling intense depression ate nothing as i am was nauseous on swallowing my food all the symptoms returned again except heart palpation and shivering(the feeling of cold and shivering was very slight uncompilable to early withdrawal symptoms) I thought its just my mind thinking of withdrawal symptoms again as in majority of blogs there are 7 days of withdrawal symptoms written but i was not able to sleep that night next day i was feeling extremely tired and nauseous on just thinking about food so i took a dose of lafutidine and it worked i ate my food on 12 noon and was asleep at 2:00 pm and i wake up at 10:00pm at night with some mild depression and a bit of nausea then again i ate my food and went to sleep at around 12:30 am(not very quality sleep woke up 3-4 times during that sleep)finally i got up at around 7in the morning again with same symptoms and the symptoms peaked at around 12noon so i decided to take another dose of lafutidine and it worked again this time dimnishing nearly all the withdrawal symptoms within 2 hours.I was feeling extremely sleepy but i stayed awake because i thought that symptoms are over now and i should follow my bed time hours.I ate 3 meals along with salad and fruits that day(yesterday) and went for sleep at 11 pm i woke up at 3:30 am for pee and i woke up with mild symptoms and was not able to get back to sleep despite felling very sleepy the depression built up again but not to that level i desperately tried to sleep and slept in a semi drowsed manner for another 3 hours it's now 8:30 in the morning and i am feeling very sleepy and mildly depressed with feeling of defeat and weakness please somebody help why are these symptoms coming back and when will they diminish completely please reply

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 56
tyga tyga Supplements 16
RIPDanDuchaine Supplements 18
brofessorx Supplements 9
Supplements 7