Anyone use GABA?

1. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Anyone use GABA?

just wondering if anyone uses it? I am more interested in it from a sleep standpoint, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything beneficial from a muscle building aspect.

thanks

h19

2. Banned

You should first read about GABA and what it does besides what's posted on bodybuilding boards. I have a psychology book listing what GABA (a chemical in the brain) does when it's introduced at a toxic level and I will look at it and post later. I would not mess with this drug, if I'm correct, GABA is strictly an amino-acid within the brain and should not be toyed with.
  3. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GangstaJDog
    You should first read about GABA and what it does besides what's posted on bodybuilding boards. I have a psychology book listing what GABA (a chemical in the brain) does when it's introduced at a toxic level and I will look at it and post later. I would not mess with this drug, if I'm correct, GABA is strictly an amino-acid within the brain and should not be toyed with.

I have read...and from the reading I have done... up to 18 grams/day does not cause any toxicity..
    •   

4. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

http://www.acnp.org/g4/GN401000008/Default.htm

http://retina.anatomy.upenn.edu/~lan...chem/gaba.html

http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/nerves.html

I have also read that if you have been using a lot of GABA, suddenly stopping it can be bad for you...(seizures)

to clarify something, before I ask questions, 99% of the time that is AFTER i have done plenty of reading..

thanks

h19
  5. Pat Tillman, American HERO

Is GABA legal (because it is a pre-cursor), and is it on the pro-hormone list? I don't recall that it is considered a regulated substance, but just checking if anyone knows for sure (I'm ignorant).
  6. Board Supporter

It definitely makes me sleepy, pretty quickly too. I've only used it a few times because the shortness of breath freaks me out. Make sure you start off with a low dose (.5-1gm) to get a feel for the sides - some people can take several grams without a problem, while some feel like they're on fire and suffocating from 1 gram.

Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    just wondering if anyone uses it? I am more interested in it from a sleep standpoint, but wondering if anyone has noticed anything beneficial from a muscle building aspect.

thanks

h19
  7. Pat Tillman, American HERO

Quote Originally Posted by intv
    It definitely makes me sleepy, pretty quickly too. I've only used it a few times because the shortness of breath freaks me out. Make sure you start off with a low dose (.5-1gm) to get a feel for the sides - some people can take several grams without a problem, while some feel like they're on fire and suffocating from 1 gram.
    If it can help out w/ insomnia, then sign me up, I'll guinea pig it
  8. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe
    If it can help out w/ insomnia, then sign me up, I'll guinea pig it

thats what im saying...i just took some about an hour ago..or more even..the guy i work with gave me some of his...I believe he said 1 teaspoon is 3grams...I took a teaspoon and feel nothing...that could be due to the fact as i started to try to sleep i remembered all my bills and how i have a calc final that i will fail saturday..

but i think it should have worked regardless

i will try more another time

h19
  9. Registered User

GABA is legal, its not really a precursor. GNC & vitamin shoppe carry it.

I've been taking a gram a night along with 9-12mg melatonin for a month or so. I have bad insomnia & cannot sleep without the melatonin. I really havent noticed anything after adding GABA. Even 12mg with the GABA doesnt always work. Never tried it alone.
  10. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

I think the brand of GABA matters also. A friend of mine at work turned me onto to it b/c he said it had helped him sleep at 1g and night..he switched brands and started taking 1 teaspoon of the new brand which is 3g..and he said it keeps him awake!!

Im thinking i will try the one BB.com is selling and use about 3-5 grams a night..melatonin works, but makes it hard for me to wake up b/c it takes so long to kick in

do you notice any weird dreams on it?

h19
  11. Registered User

Never noticed any weird dreams on GABA or melatonin. I'd welcome it though, because that would mean I'm getting some deep sleep.

I noticed melatonin works faster if you let the tabs dissolve under your tongue before swallowing. It tastes like chalk & oven cleaner but its effective.
  12. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

I just tried using 9mg melatonin, that worked rather well..

I actually had a crazy dream, about my upcoming M1t/4ad cycle. I dreamt I was in the hospital or something and they were doing some kind of treatment for my liver...I remember it involved draining some kind of fluid from it, and it hurt like a bitch..when they "did it" in my dream I would say owe or something and the docs would say thats a good sign..it was like a device that would stick some kind of large needle into my liver...All I know is I woke up like 2 am and i was like wtf??!!?!

that is a melatonin dream man...they are weird.

h19
  13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  264 lbs.

I cant take more than 1mg of melatonin or i wake up in the middle of the night..
    Just started taking gaba from BB.com, first night i did about 2g (3/4 tsp) and had the rushing/shortness of breath feeling, it was cool
    last night i only used about 1g and felt the same thing but to a more minor extent.
    I also take about 500mg of magnesium every night, that always relaxes me and gets my mind to calm down, i highly reccomend magnesium every night if you have problems sleeping.

Also, i have read that if you take melatonin continously your body stops producing it..

Cheers.
  14. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe
    Is GABA legal (because it is a pre-cursor), and is it on the pro-hormone list? I don't recall that it is considered a regulated substance, but just checking if anyone knows for sure (I'm ignorant).
    GABA is not a hormone or even prohormone to the best of my knowledge, its already bioactive as a nuerotransmitter as is.

J
  15. Registered User

I think they say to take 3 grams of it. I have used it and it does make me sleepy. The problem I have with it is it seems to be very acidic. So I will take it and wake up with an upset stomach.
    you take 9-12 mg of melontonin?
  16. CONTROLLED LABS CONSULTANT
    Board Sponsor

Bump on the upset stomach problem... also no effects on muscle that I noticed.
  17. Registered User

GABA is worth every penny, because the dreams you will have when you sleep will never be more ****ed up. Seriously, wacky, crazy dreams. You will wake up and go WTF!!!?!!?!
  18. Registered User

I have a sensitive stomach so it might be just me. Anyway, good for sleeping but I don't think it does much for putting on muscle.
  19. Registered User

I think 1 tsp = a gram. That might be way it didn't do anything.
  20. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'11"  264 lbs.

1tsp does not = a gram
  21. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

The GABA I have used is 3 Grams = 1 tsp
  22. Registered User

Need GABA, take 1 ml of pg-h subq before bed for two weeks. Sleep like a baby and watch the fat fly off ya. At least it does for me.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone use an electric razor?
    By JBlaze in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 03:17 PM
  2. Anyone use Rice/Almond/Any other "milk"?
    By windwords7 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 05:32 PM
  3. anyone used masteron?
    By hamper19 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 03:56 PM
  4. Anyone use 7-keto for cutting?
    By Jorta in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 11:27 AM
  5. Anyone used Liquid Clomid or Novla?