Post Workout: creatine or protein first?

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
I've always taken a protein shake immediately post workout(as in right when I get into my car I have my shaker and make it) but I just purchased creatine and was told I should take it with grape juice. So my question is, is it ok if I take the protein like usual immediately after working out then take the creatine 20 minutes later when I get home with the grape juice? Its just too hard to carry like 3-4 bottles and containers in my car, not to mention its hard to take down all that fluid right after working out, id probably throw up if I drank both right there, especialy mixing juice with protein taste. And, is it really necessary to "load up" during the first week of creatine useage or is it more of a tactic to get me to run out of it quickly and buy more?

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
You dont have to load up just take the normal dosage thats atleast what ive always done. As far as dosing goes really as long as you get it in that 30-60 Minute time frame Post workout your fine. And as far as mixing it with grape juice ive always had Green Magnitude creatine so ive never tried with grape juice.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doesn't have to be grape juice. The idea behind having creatine with a Carb source is that the insulin released will allow the creatine to be better absorbed. Well, whey causes a hefty insulin spike itself - just put your creatine in your protein shake. It will be absorbed just as well as if with juice.

ritchy

Banned
Awards
The best time to spike insulin is after training. Mix some gatorade ( by it in the powdered jar ) I`d say 2 scoops which will give you 70 grams of dextrose. Mix your creatine in that. After you`re done drinking it, wait about 10 minutes or so, then drink your protein shake wich should have a good 40 grams...

For the people who suggest only protein, here`s what I ask you: Do you think having just a protein shake is even enough calories to take post workout? I mean you eat every 3 hours right? You have a pre workout meal, train, and it`s been about 2-3 hours since your last meal. Why would your post workout meal have less cals than your normal meals, when this is the time of the day where you best absorb food and most importantly sugar at it`s best. Don`t short change yourself with just a protein shake post workout.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Except that having a huge post-workout shake looks at peri-workout nutrition as 1 dimensional. Pre and intra- workout nutrition is just as important as post. Furthermore, such a large amount of liquid, high glycemic calories can and does make many trainees gain fat.

Getting in adequate calories is definitely important, but it should be done wisely, and in such a manner that promotes maximum protein synthesis while minimizing lipogenesis.

ritchy

Banned
Awards
70 grams of carbs with 40 grams of protein is not an overabundance of cals. We`re talking under 500 here. A simple protein shake is 200 tops. Not nearly optimal in the calorie department... Even while dieting I still use the post workout carb formula, and I drink the 35 grams of carbs during training and get 80 grams pre workout.

Sugar causes fat increases for sure, but not when taken post workout. A little temporary bloating maybe, but nothing to be concerned about at the end of the day. People are way overstressing the dangers of spiking insulin levels today.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't say it was too many cals, I said that that many high glycemic carbs post-workout can cause fat gain.

I agree totally that too many people are afraid of insulin release, especially when they don't understand it. 100g of Whey will cause the same size insulin spike as 100g CHO, the only difference is that insulin returns to baseline faster in the absence of CHO. Furthermore, beef and even eggs cause significant rises in insulin following ingestion. So, even when people are trying to avoid insulin release for one reason or another (Anabolic Diet perhaps?), they still are generating plenty of it, whether they know it or not.

Bearing that in mind - I prefer to have the majority of my carbs (200+g) in my pre-workout meal, pre-workout shake, and intra-workout shake. This ensures that insulin is high and blood glucose is high as I enter the gym and over the course of my workout, providing optimum anabolism, endurance and suppression of catabolic hormones.

After lifting, I continue with high insulin release post-workout with two 50g protein shakes, each spiked with 5g Leucine. This facilitates serum amino acid spikes and insulin release, triggering further anabolism without the need for additional carbs. Along with the second shake I have a hearty low-carb meal - providing ample calories for my body to recover and repair, but without the concern of fat gain.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always get a kick out of the complex discussions that develop out of such simple questions. I love you guys and all, but why think these things to death? OP, just put protein, carbs, and creatine into your shaker before you hit the gym, and then swig it down in the car afterward. No need to load.

There... issue resolved. :lol:

ritchy

Banned
Awards
^^^ That makes sense. Our methods are kinda close. Just a little bit of timming differences and this is why forums are cool. People ask questions, and answers come up giving them different options to try. Since I know I`m a carb guy, I`m gonna stick to my method, but I wouldn`t "not recomment" yours to somebody either as it has it`s logic to it as well.

illgixxer

Awards
  • Established
I was already getting the carbs because my protein is pro complex gainer so it has carbs and protein. I'll toss the creatine in there too.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^ That makes sense. Our methods are kinda close. Just a little bit of timming differences and this is why forums are cool. People ask questions, and answers come up giving them different options to try. Since I know I`m a carb guy, I`m gonna stick to my method, but I wouldn`t "not recomment" yours to somebody either as it has it`s logic to it as well.
Yeah, our methods are quite similar. I just know, from experience, that 70g carbs in a post-workout shake would quickly add inches to my waist. If you can have those carbs without adverse effects, there is no reason why you shouldn't.

I was already getting the carbs because my protein is pro complex gainer so it has carbs and protein. I'll toss the creatine in there too.
Well, there ya go - easy solution. :)

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i take creatine pre so idk.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I like how this thread could have ended with a short sentence and one post

"put creatine in your shake"

Easy as that : P But if only bodybuilding were that easy.